Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2016, 13:00   #226
BHPian

Re: The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I also went and got a 5 seat sofa set,and recliner made, and a pretty nifty bean bag from pepperfry( I think).
Very well made, and look really good with the tone of the wood in the house.
How much did the 5 seat sofa set cost and how is its durability after almost 2 years?
At pepperfry?
As i'm also looking to purchase a sofa set, your opinion would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 18th February 2016, 13:52   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
How much did the 5 seat sofa set cost and how is its durability after almost 2 years?
At pepperfry?
As i'm also looking to purchase a sofa set, your opinion would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ramki
The sofa set and recliner were made at kirti nagar, came in at about 20 k for the recliner, and 30-40k(dont clearly remember) for the 3+1+1 set, all in art leather, and they are doing extremely well still. No tear, no fading, and easy wipe downs. That they have survived thus far with an active toddler so far, is testament.
The Bean bag was a big chair type one which folds out to be a bed-ish type thing, for 2k, with beans.
Old 18th February 2016, 13:53   #228
BHPian

Got ourselves a sofa from Durian.
At around 31k, I feel its a bit expensive.
But with a warranty of 5 years, I think its worth.
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-sofa.jpg
Old 19th February 2016, 14:06   #229
Senior - BHPian

We were cheated at Durian, with a similar looking Sofa set. The material started cracking/shedding/peeling right from day one, to our horror. The matter was never resolved, and ended with us having to throw away the eye sore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Got ourselves a sofa from Durian.
At around 31k, I feel its a bit expensive.
But with a warranty of 5 years, I think its worth.
Attachment 1477624
Old 5th March 2016, 14:08   #230
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I am looking for a floor standing reclining chair like this - https://www.urbanladder.com/products...NSTCH53BL30074

But I don't need the speakers etc - where can I find one?
Old 5th March 2016, 14:28   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
But I don't need the speakers etc - where can I find one?
I saw one in a Godrej clearance sale. It was foldable and looked neat. Red in color.
Old 18th June 2016, 11:39   #232
BHPian

Need some help in purchasing a good quality couch and recliners. I have narrowed down on the following from Urban ladder.
Wanted to purchase a couch with 8 way hand stitched spring construction for comfort and longevity. We had a couch like that but I had got upholsterers from Usha Lexus to change the fabric, they pulled out the springs and replaced with foam. I finally gave the set away to our maid, after wasting 20k repairs on it.
Can anyone suggest a good brand which employs quality construction and quality material for body comfort without sweat etc? We are in Chennai and long hours cause stickiness on the cheaper foam backed sofas.
I am not getting this sort of info from the online retailers on the inner construction of the sofa and recliner.
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1466230073.732166.jpg
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1466230089.871562.jpg
Old 20th June 2016, 12:34   #233
BHPian

Got the wardrobes/kitchen/bathroom vanity done for our new apartment in April this year. The carpenter took ~3 weeks to complete the deal, with him having 100% access to the house during working hours.

We choose the veneer shade (bedroom wardrobes) and the laminate for the bathroom and kitchen. Both my wife and I spent days designing the inside configurations, and how the kitchen cabinets should be placed. We kept the kitchen ~20% glass transparent for the cabinets, and the RO is also embedded (with the candle) inside one cabinet. No external articles show up in the kitchen. Also got the chimney covered with the same theme. I really like the bevel approach we took for the bedroom wardrobes.

We got a small bookshelf placed (bolted in) in the foyer area to make use of space.

The wardrobes are ~9' 7" in height, due to the high ceiling of the apartment. Some cabinets have folding bases so on-the-fly we can remove the board and extend the height -- internally.
Attached Thumbnails
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-wp_20160403_15_37_24_pro.jpg  

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-wp_20160403_15_37_43_pro.jpg  

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-wp_20160403_15_39_14_pro.jpg  

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-wp_20160403_15_39_28_pro.jpg  

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-wp_20160403_15_43_33_pro.jpg  

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-wp_20160403_15_53_25_pro.jpg  

Old 21st June 2016, 19:44   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
We got a small bookshelf placed (bolted in) in the foyer area to make use of space.

The wardrobes are ~9' 7" in height, due to the high ceiling of the apartment. Some cabinets have folding bases so on-the-fly we can remove the board and extend the height -- internally.
Looks very nice. Would it be possible to share some more details & pictures around the folding bases which you have used inside the almirah please.

Cheers,
S
Old 26th June 2016, 11:11   #235
BHPian

Hi guys,
I'm planning to get a cot and a wardrobe. Have 2 options. Ready-made off the shelf from places like hometown OR custom made from carpenter.
Ready made cot n wardrobe starts from 20k+30k for MDF and goes till 50k+75k for sheesham.
My carpenter does everything from plywood + laminate and cost is 35k+45k.
I have previously used plywood for cot and wardrobe and so far, no issues.
Wanted feedback on MDF and also suggestions on which options should I go for-readymade vs carpenter made.
Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 08:20   #236
BHPian

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Wanted feedback on MDF
Never ever go for MDF for anything load bearing or possibility of shifting. The screwing and unscrewing will loosen the joining screw holes. The MDF cot that we purchased from stylespa would squeak and move when anyone got on and off the cot. I gave it away to an NGO and slept on the floor till I purchased solid wood cots from Usha Lexus..
Old 28th June 2016, 09:32   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
The MDF cot that we purchased from stylespa would squeak and move when anyone got on and off the cot. I gave it away to an NGO and slept on the floor till I purchased solid wood cots from Usha Lexus..
Same issue with MDF cot from Stylespa.

Wouldnt recommend MDF product for jumping japang ...

@ Diyguy : Where did you purchase solid wood cots ? Any reference might definitely help
Old 28th June 2016, 10:05   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post

@ Diyguy : Where did you purchase solid wood cots ? Any reference might definitely help
I got it from Usha direct when they had a branch here in Chennai. They also had a dealer though. Had purchased two king size cots with storage in 2006. I have an issue with a headboard bolt not locking on well but that is because of shifting home and also because of leaning on the board with it not being supported by the wall behind. I was told to keep it away from the wall to avoid moisture absorption. Should have fitted a door stopper like thing at the back but haven't done it so far.
Old 28th June 2016, 10:57   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Never ever go for MDF for anything load bearing or possibility of shifting
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Same issue with MDF cot from Stylespa.
Wouldnt recommend MDF product for jumping japang
Thank you for the feedback. I'm going for custom made cot from carpenter. Will be using plywood.

For wardrobe, cams across an interesting option when discussing with friends yesterday and that PVC wardrobe. Advantage is lightweight, labour cost is nil and no issue of warping and expansion/contraction.
Spoke to a nearby dealer and he will be coming home with sample and also will get a quote.
Will update this thread
Old 13th July 2016, 16:54   #240
Team-BHP Support

Is there some cane workshop in Bangalore where they make furniture and other items using cane? I am fine with a cane furniture shop that takes custom orders.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks