Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2017, 19:44   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)

I planning on a bunk bed with queen size + single bed on top. I am exploring readymade options before getting it made. Something like this,
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-barnley_single_queen_storage_bunk_bed_02.jpg

Link: https://www.urbanladder.com/products...torage-bunkbed
It is sold out on urban ladder. Any shops which have similar options?
Old 12th May 2017, 08:31   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You dont have a market like Kirti nagar over there?
I got more or less the same recliner built for 19k, when UL was offering it for 22.But, I got to choose the material used, the color, the number of panels, and the stuffing.

Doing duty very well.
You've just got to treat it like you treat your car seat.
Hey can you tell me the shop in Kirti nagar from whom you bought the recliners? I need to buy a set.

Also guys is it safe to buy furniture from Pepperfry or Urban ladder? I need to buy 2 beds and a sofa and few more smaller items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
If anyone is looking for a deal on laZboy recliners, they are on sale on flipkart and after the Citibank discount it is working out to 25.5k compared to 31k that I paid for it three months back. It's a sweet deal.
And how is the review for the recliners? I am looking to buy.

Last edited by drmohitg : 12th May 2017 at 08:34.
Old 12th May 2017, 09:08   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
H
Also guys is it safe to buy furniture from Pepperfry or Urban ladder? I need to buy 2 beds and a sofa and few more smaller items.
I will vouch for the safety aspect. I have bought a Bookshelf from Urban Ladder and two king size beds and side table from Pepperfry over a year back. All are doing fine. Its always better to spend a bit more and go for solid Sheesham wood furniture. These are built better.
I also had a good experience with woodenstreet.com. Bought a Sheesham wood TV unit from them. That is good too. Only downside is they take too long to ship, sometimes upto 6 weeks.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 09:48   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey can you tell me the shop in Kirti nagar from whom you bought the recliners? I need to buy a set.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/search...6pD8kQ8gEIJTAA

Roundabout here. It should say something to the effect of sofa hi sofa or something. There's a ton of other shops as well. I would suggest that you go inside a bit, away from the main road. Better deals. By the by, the recliner is still doing duty without any issues.
I bought a bed from PF and thats also working out well. If you're into spring mattresses, I would suggest Boston mattresses, based in noida. Look it up.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2017 at 12:37. Reason: Making the Lat/Long a link so its understandable by everyone :)
Old 12th May 2017, 12:02   #275
BHPian

Quote:
.. whom you bought the recliners? I need to buy a set.
I have purchased two lazboy recliners from UL and thought was getting a good deal but within two months it became available on SD and FK and with the bank offers it was cheaper there. Went the branded route for warranty and quality purposes.
Attached Thumbnails
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-1494570726766.jpg  

Old 12th May 2017, 16:38   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I planning on a bunk bed with queen size + single bed on top. I am exploring readymade options before getting it made. Something like this,
I have multiple examples of these ONLINE FURNITURE becoming loose from joints and some even developing cracks during summers as the wood was not cured properly. 75% of these use SHEESHAM wood.

I would suggest to get it made. It will survive for ten years and that in my view is ideal age span of such beds.
By that time the kids will grow out of them.

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 12th May 2017 at 16:40.
Old 26th April 2018, 09:32   #277
Senior - BHPian

Any pointers on Sofa sets? The one I currently have is a 3+1+1 which was purchased 10 years back in Bangalore in my bachelor days. It was PU/ art leather from Looking Good furniture. To be honest, the only issue I had was the seating in the main 3 seater had started tearing after 7 years. No other complaints. I paid a princely sum of 12.5K for the set that time.

In my search, I checked Couch Potato, Looking Good furniture in Bangalore. CP has some good collections and their quality seems good and better than Looking Good.
Will also check out Home center and a couple of other places before zeroing in the design of what I want. I am also open to get it done through the local shops who specialize in Upholstery and sofas. A cousin got this done and is happy with the outcome.
I checked Urban Ladder, Pepperfry online. The designs are ok ok, but UL costs too much. I wanted to try and buy from Pepperfry if available. Not sure where to ask.

My choices are:
1. Regular non reclining 3+1+1 set
2. Recliner for the 1+1 and regular Sofa for the 3 seater.
3. Recliners for 3+1+1. I don’t see much utility and due to a slightly odd shaped living room, having a 3 seater recliner may not be the most comfortable thing.

Budget upto 50k. Any advice will help.

Last edited by hrman : 26th April 2018 at 09:54.
Old 25th May 2018, 17:04   #278
Senior - BHPian

There is a good offer on La-Z-Boy recliners on Flipkart. Costs 24K + HDFC cards get a Rs.1250 discount. Looks like a sweet deal if anyone is going that way.
Old 20th April 2019, 10:56   #279
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Any suggestion/recommendations for a no-frills, inexpensive, small, lightweight, height adjustable study table for children ?
Typical usage will be for about 2 hours each day for tuition classes.
So far, here are some I found:

https://www.amazon.in/MULTI-Foldable-Adjustable-Purpose-Utility/dp/B079VJPLRG

Similar one, different colour
https://www.amazon.in/MULTI-Function-Detachable-Foldable-Sandal/dp/B01BMV0MTY

One more
https://www.amazon.in/Smart-Matto-Adjustable-Multipurpose-Foldable/dp/B07HWS4XYB

Last edited by NPV : 20th April 2019 at 11:01.
Old 4th May 2019, 17:02   #280
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any suggestion/recommendations for a no-frills, inexpensive, small, lightweight, height adjustable study table for children ?
Typical usage will be for about 2 hours each day for tuition classes.
Height isn't adjustable, but meets all other criteria. This is what we bought finally. After a year, these can easily be repurposed at home or just used as a camping table on roadtrips
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8387454_f...sons-grey.html
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 12:14   #281
BHPian

Here's my sofa hunting experience over the past 2 months.

I was looking to replace my 25 year old sofa for no reason other than that I was getting bored of it. The fabric covering was in excellent condition. The cushions were in excellent condition. The box springs were in excellent condition.

I was looking for only fabric sofas as leather/art-leather and I don't get along.

It was my intention to get a feel of the fabric and the cushions before I buy anything. After browsing online, my search began with the usual suspects.

PepperFry
Went to their "studio" in Sahakarnagar, Bangalore and they had all of two sofas on display. And none of them were in the design I was looking for. So, not being able to get a feel, dropped PepperFry.
Range : 25K to 80K

Royal Oak
On the way back from PepperFry, stumbled upon this showroom in Sahakarnagar. Saw around and was able to tentatively shortlist 2.

Damro
Brand spanking new showroom opened in Sahakarnagar and has a good selection of sofas on display. Was able to shortlist 3. However, a couple of friends said their quality is questionable (don't know how far this is true). So put this on the back-burner and not eliminated it completely.
Range : 25K to 80K

UrbanLadder
With the experience of PepperFry and the back of my mind kept resisting going to any of the their showrooms. But kept browsing their site for a single-seater recliner
Range : 50K to 150K

Simply Sofas
Found some absolutely brilliant sofas here. Most of them were in leather. All of them were imported. For fabric ones, was told that any of the designs can be executed but will need a lead time of 120 days. And the kicker, prices are shockingly through the roof!!! Said a polite thank you and cam back.
Range : 250K to 600K

During conversation at office, a colleague mentioned that the Royal Oak showroom on Mysore Road, Bangalore is a very large one and suggested I might be able to get what I wanted

Royal Oak revisited
Went to the Royal Oak showroom on Mysore Road. They have a HUGE selection of sofas on display. Whatever variants, combinations I wanted to see and try was there. Was finally able to get what I wanted. They had a summer sale going on which mentioned "55% off". Now we all know what that 55% off means. Nevertheless, was able to get a good deal on a 3+2+1 sofa and carpet. Booked it and was delivered and installed 3 days later. Very satisfied with it so far.
Range : 30K to 80K

On the whole was very satisfied with my buying experience at Royal Oak.

I also wanted to pick-up a motorised recliner. Unfortunately Royal Oak does not make these. They had it in art-leather/leather.

Fortunately UrbanLadder had this on display in one of their stores. Went there, checked it out, liked it, booked it. It is yet to be delivered.

P.S. The ranges mentioned above are for 3+2 Fabric sofas only.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 11:32   #282
BHPian

A 3+1+1 sofa set we had bought back in 2012 while living in Bangalore had started showing its age. It was bought from one of the stores dotting ORR for 14k and had a rexine cover, which was fraying. We were planning to replace it and were making the rounds of furniture stores in Kolkata (where we stay now) for a new set. I thought that we would just give the existing set away for anyone willing to carry it away. Didnt expect to get anything for it.

The well made sets that we checked out retailed for no less than 55-60k and the budget ones were 35k. We were not sure of what we would get for the latter as buying furniture can be worse than buying used cars. The ones from established brands are expensive. The lesser known ones are unreliable and famous for their 'bait and switch' techniques. While we contemplated, my dad got his 30 year old sofa set refurbished. The wood in that set was intact and all he did was catch hold of a good upholsterer and supplied him with the raw material, namely quality foam, cloth, cotton and springs. It cost him a fraction of what a new set would have cost him and the results were impressive.

I was skeptical of what would be found inside my set, but was assured that it could be worked upon. We took the plunge and got the upholsterer to inspect the set. He took it apart and said the wooden structure was in good shape. The foam was a budget job (what else can one expect for 14k?) which will be replaced and the rexine cover obviously had to go. The very next day, we went to the biggest wholesale market in Kolkata for the stuff and our man was back the next day to start his project.

The old set bought in Bangalore

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-oldsofa.jpg

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-oldsofa2.jpg

The raw material came to 15k, including the fabric which was to replace the rexine cover
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-bill.jpg

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-bill2.jpg

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-bigsofa1.jpg

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-wip.jpg

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-wip1.jpg

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-bigsofa2.jpg

The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-wip2.jpg

He utilized the excess fabric and foam to make cushions to go with the sofas
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-cusions.jpg

The final result - magical transformation
The Furniture Thread (Home/Office)-finis.jpg

The upholsterer and his assistant worked at my place for 3 straight days to finish the project. He charged me 8k while throwing in free labour for the cushions and a few other odd jobs he did around the house. For what would have otherwise cost us no less than 50 grands, we had the satisfaction of transforming a battered possession into something desirable, for half the price!
hothatchaway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 21:15   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
The final result - magical transformation
Magical indeed! That does look like a job well done. We have have an ancestral couch that we do not want to get rid of. Wonderful quality of wood. Had looked for carpenters in Bangalore to make some modifications, but tragically, just can't find good carpenters here!

The three carpenters we have tried so far - to test their skills and professionalism, we start off by getting a wood polish work done. Only of that is satisfactory do we even proceed further. All three have failed at the very first hurdle!

If it is alright, could you share the name/number of your carpenter in Kolkata. I do have some connection with the city and visit it once a year since the last few years. You could PM me the number if your ok with it.
Old 5th February 2020, 23:00   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... For what would have otherwise cost us no less than 50 grands, we had the satisfaction of transforming a battered possession into something desirable, for half the price!
It is quite shocking to see the woodwork inside even a half-decent sofa --- but I guess it is meant to be hidden, not on display, and it only matters if it is strong.

Very interesting to see the transformation of your suite. Good work from the upholsterers.

Old 7th February 2020, 07:30   #285
BHPian

Quote:
The upholsterer and his assistant
Thanks. Received his information. Will get in touch with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is quite shocking to see the woodwork inside even a half-decent sofa --- but I guess it is meant to be hidden, not on display, and it only matters if it is strong.
Why shocking? Isn't that more or less what one might see in pretty much every couch that comes heavily padded?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks