Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2014, 14:47   #3766
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Guys, I stay in Vadodara and planning to have a pedigree GSD puppy with a heavy double coat. Can anyone suggest a reliable kennel in Ahmedabad, Baroda, Surat. I have found lot many ads on olx & quickr but the snaps posted don't seem to be genuine.
Old 10th August 2014, 16:58   #3767
BHPian

Lost my 8 years old GSD, Scooby on 29th July. Totally heart-aching for me as I raised him from the time he was just 20 days old. May his soul rest in peace and he is happy and safe under the arms of God. Here is a pic of his when he was 7.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-10525647_10154392428175063_4180077554620531362_n.jpg
Old 10th August 2014, 18:47   #3768
Distinguished - BHPian

Only eight... seems very young, and a short time to spend with your lovely dog.

Very sad.
Old 11th August 2014, 10:40   #3769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandita_bayan21 View Post
Lost my 8 years old GSD, Scooby on 29th July. Totally heart-aching for me as I raised him from the time he was just 20 days old. May his soul rest in peace and he is happy and safe under the arms of God. Here is a pic of his when he was 7.
Loosing a pet is really a painful thing. To help you recover from this faster, adopting a needy pet will help in a long way. Do give it a thought, Scooby sure will be running around in God's meadows, may he rest in peace.
Old 11th August 2014, 13:11   #3770
BHPian

So here's one of my niece tying 'rakhi' to her pet Terry on rakhsha bandhan

He's < 1 year and quite a character and attention seeker
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-new-image.jpg  

Old 11th August 2014, 13:18   #3771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
So here's one of my niece tying 'rakhi' to her pet Terry on rakhsha bandhan

He's < 1 year and quite a character and attention seeker
Hey Rajesh, that's a really sweet pic Even our angel loves getting the 'Tika', and even steals the sweets.

PS: Why cage such a nice lab? He is quite young and can be easily trained, and judging by the way he is letting your neice tie the 'rakhi', he doesn't seem like a threat as well. Just my personal view but caging a lab seems a bit cruel to me, irrespective of how comfy the cage is.

Quote:
Totally agree with you bro ,my sister lives in a joint family set up and not all of them love pets ,i am sure you get the drift now

Thats a Golden Retriver
I can understand. Hope your sister's relatives fall for the charm of handsome Terry and realise that he is just a bundle of love.

Last edited by Biraj : 11th August 2014 at 13:33. Reason: Responding to subsequent post
Old 11th August 2014, 13:26   #3772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
PS: Why cage such a nice lab? He is quite young and can be easily trained, and judging by the way he is letting your neice tie the 'rakhi', he doesn't seem like a threat as well. Just my personal view but caging a lab seems a bit cruel to me, irrespective of how comfy the cage is.
Totally agree with you bro ,my sister lives in a joint family set up and not all of them love pets ,i am sure you get the drift now

Thats a Golden Retriver
Old 11th August 2014, 13:54   #3773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thats a Golden Retriver
Hi Rajesh,

Caging a Retriever at this age (1 year) will make him very restless and extremely aggressive as they have a lot of energy. Cages are fine for crate training only till the age of 6 months! After that it is not a good idea to keep them caged. You can leash them and maybe give them a chewy bone to keep them quiet.
Labs and retrievers are extremely affectionate and friendly if kept free and trusted. If caged in youth, they can become quite angry and restless.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 11th August 2014, 13:58   #3774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Rajesh,

Caging a Retriever at this age (1 year) will make him very restless and extremely aggressive as they have a lot of energy. Cages are fine for crate training only till the age of 6 months! After that it is not a good idea to keep them caged. You can leash them and maybe give them a chewy bone to keep them quiet.
Labs and retrievers are extremely affectionate and friendly if kept free and trusted. If caged in youth, they can become quite angry and restless.

Regards,
Behemoth
+1 my lab is not even leashed. Left free at his will and wish. We did not give him any special training as well. He is self trained and behaves better than we humans
Old 11th August 2014, 14:06   #3775
BHPian

Thank you Behemoth & Lazy Brain for your insights

Will pass on the same message
Old 11th August 2014, 16:55   #3776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thats a Golden Retriver
Sorry but I hate that logic and whatever drift you are hinting at. If a member of the family didn't want a pet to the extent that the pet that too a big playful breed like a golden retriever has to be caged, then why bring it home at all? Its plain cruel if you ask me even if it means that he stays caged for only a few hours.
Old 11th August 2014, 19:14   #3777

Rajesh, if he is a year old, he is likely to do done exuberant jumping that can be difficult to deal with for kids/ elders. From my experience tiring him out (long walks/games like fetch) will sort that out. If it is a joint family they can take turns entertaining him or adopt another dog cos then they entertain each other and are easier to take care of than a single dog...
Old 11th August 2014, 19:45   #3778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Only eight... seems very young, and a short time to spend with your lovely dog. Very sad.
Well he had a wound which got transformed into some cancerous cells, got very weak and eventually left us. We tried all medications but all in vain. Hope he is free of all pain now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Loosing a pet is really a painful thing. To help you recover from this faster, adopting a needy pet will help in a long way. Do give it a thought, Scooby sure will be running around in God's meadows, may he rest in peace.
Thanks..I am thinking the same, to adopt a needy little one.
Old 11th August 2014, 22:04   #3779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Caging a Retriever at this age (1 year) will make him very restless and extremely aggressive as they have a lot of energy.
Retrievers are such cheerful dogs ! I would suggest to let him be free. Is it possible that family members who dont like pets, be neutral with him ? Hopefully, over a period of time the pup will know who to go to and who not to. Though I havent seen this selective socializing by a Retriever.
Old 11th August 2014, 22:29   #3780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandita_bayan21 View Post
Lost my 8 years old GSD, Scooby on 29th July.
Nandita ma'am, Scooby seems to be a joyful buddy in the pic. I have loved dogs since the age of 12 as prior to that I was bit scared of them. If a dog was at 400 meters from me then I would be 4 ft away.

I really feel sad for these poor souls to leave us so soon. I am sure he will be at peace now and if you plan to have new pet then go for a Lab or Golden Retriever as I feel they are best and really really cute and fun loving.

A pug will be a good option too. Very easy to maintain!

Keep a smile and go ahead with the new one.

Thanks

Akash

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks