Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2017, 02:02   #4441
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My elderly furry chaps.

Cassie the Alsatian is 11 and is suffering hip dysplasia and cant walk. Needs to be carried out in a sling supporting her rear. But eats well, is fully alert and quite tough with people ringing the bell or rattling my gate.

Daisy the Labrador is 13, slowing down too and slowly finding it harder to go for her happy walks. Still happy otherwise and eating properly and sleeping properly too.
They are beautiful! And you have a good heart to take care of them even in their troubled times and old age! They are so lucky to have you!
Old 21st May 2017, 04:27   #4442
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
They are beautiful! And you have a good heart to take care of them even in their troubled times and old age! They are so lucky to have you!

They are very dear to us. Naturally it is our responsibility to look after them.
And very honestly I prefer the Animal world to the human world.
Animals are so much more honest and straightforward.
Old 21st May 2017, 16:09   #4443
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
hip dysplasia and cant walk.
Sad to hear that. And, good to see that you take care good of your elderly pets. Otherwise many people advice - when the dog gets old, you should go and leave him somewhere.

------------------------------------------------------------------

My Lab 9 yrs old, has hip dysplasia. I think he got it early on, but we found out 2 yrs ago after an xray.

The usual signs started when he was 5 or 6, gradually getting worse by the time he was 7. He stopped going upstairs, trouble getting up on his own, limping for 2 mins after getting up, length of walks reduced, couldn't jump onto the bed without help. I thought it was arthritis setting in.

He couldn't keep his right hind leg down. Even while eating, the leg would be barely touching the ground. This leg became slightly thinner as well. He would use this leg only while walking.
Got the XRay done, the doctor gave the usual medicines, asked to reduce weight.

Reducing his weight, immediately reduced his discomfort in getting up on his own. He immediately started going for a slightly longer walk. But the initial limping and not using all fours while standing, remained.

I started to massage his spine and his leg every night for 10mins, fearing muscle loss, and to maintain the blood flow through his right leg. After a month I started playing mild tug of war with him. This forced him to use both his rear legs. (very gradual increase - starting from 2 mins to 5 to 10 over 2 months).

And slowly the condition of his leg improved and he started standing properly on all fours.

He is much much better now, eagerly goes for a proper walk. Has started running a little bit too. Has twice gone upstairs on his own, without anyone tempting, urging him to.

I feel, reducing his weight really improved his quality of life. Had to fight with my parents everyday to stop overfeeding him.

Sadly a lab in my neighborhood didn't recover from hip dysplasia, the bone ultimately dissolved (that's what the owner told). Another 4 yr old lab already has it already.
Old 21st May 2017, 16:43   #4444
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Sad to hear that. And, good to see that you take care good of your elderly pets. Otherwise many people advice - when the dog gets old, you should go and leave him somewhere

I started to massage his spine and his leg every night for 10mins, fearing muscle loss, and to maintain the blood flow through his right leg. After a month I started playing mild tug of war with him. This forced him to use both his rear legs. (very gradual increase - starting from 2 mins to 5 to 10 over 2 months).

And slowly the condition of his leg improved and he started standing properly on all fours.

He is much much better now, eagerly goes for a proper walk. Has started running a little bit too. Has twice gone upstairs on his own, without anyone tempting, urging him to.

I feel, reducing his weight really improved his quality of life. Had to fight with my parents everyday to stop overfeeding him.

Sadly a lab in my neighborhood didn't recover from hip dysplasia, the bone ultimately dissolved (that's what the owner told). Another 4 yr old lab already has it already.

To abandon an elderly pet is an evil sin. Like abandoning an elderly person. Miserable people those who do this or advocate it.
Yes, weight loss is a big help. My dog cassie is not overweight. Sadly her condition is congenital.
Mostly on account of in breeding plus she was the runt of the litter and not looked after properly as a baby. I got her when she was a year old and the negative effects of hip dysplasia were already evident.
When she came she could not climb stairs, her hind legs were extremely weak.
Over the first few months I had her I assiduously gave her lots of calcium and vitamin supplements and played with her a lot. Plus it helped that my old Alsatian Wolf was there to tease her and things. Also Daisy, the lab who was there too.

All this has helped her have a good 10 years plus with us and I am happy to have been able to do at least this much.
When the time comes, and it may be sooner than otherwise, I shall definetely do the needful by calling the vet and send her off Royally to 'dream time' , but it is an unbearable thought.
Old 21st May 2017, 17:11   #4445
Senior - BHPian

What is the situation with tortoises? Are they officially banned as pets?
Old 21st May 2017, 17:25   #4446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What is the situation with tortoises? Are they officially banned as pets?
Interesting you should ask this question today.

There was an interesting article in Deccan Herald today. Go through it, it answers your question in part at least, I think.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...u-trouble.html

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:00   #4447
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Awesome boy! Golden Retrievers are seriously cute animals! And certainly works magic with the ladies!
Can you please talk to my dog? He does nothing like retrieving. Throw a ball and he will chase after it, lose interest and go home instead. Maybe he is a rebel rather than a traditional retriever!
I bought two kittens home that were thrown onto the street from a moving two wheeler(expected them to be grateful), and guess what, within an hour they bought the entire house into their control. My dog refused to leave his room when the kittens were around!
I concur thoroughly about that ladies bit! But our GD, Badshah (this was during our childhood in Allahabad) went a step further. He used to find the knees of most of the male visitors to our house irresistibly attractive & would try to mount them vigorously - to the huge embarrassment of the elders around the able & the uncontrollable laughter of us youngsters!

And I also agree that cats have an extraordinarily dominating influence. This same Badshah, who was such a terror to most dogs in the neighborhood, once cornered a stray cat on the terrace. And despite all his roaring and slavering at the mouth, he could not approach closer than about 5 ft from the cat - all the cat would do was to rear up on its hind legs, spit ferociously and wave its paws with claws fully extended! Badshah would retreat quickly, while the cat quietly went back to grooming itself - till Badshah immediately launched his next attack, to be met with the same fate. This continued for a while, till the cat gave a mighty leap onto the nearest parapet and with another bound was away. No one looked sillier & more embarassed than Badshah.

Last edited by shashanka : 22nd May 2017 at 10:22.
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:27   #4448
Distinguished - BHPian

This is why I dissuade everybody from buying pups off of a "Breeder".
My neighbors got a lab from one, and they are absolutely clueless about dogs. Just that the daughter wanted one. 2 months later, the girl got enrolled in some uni, and they decided they will send the boy off to a relatives house. Before they could, however, the poor guy got unwell and was on drips for 3 days. They took him to meerut their hometown, and the vet said its Parvo, and then told them its a genetic disorder he has got from the mother due to in-breeding. Died.

Guys, please dont go to these puppy mills. I see posts by these numb-nuts on an FB group, with pictures of the parents mating, the pups being held by their tails and ears, and people fall over themselves to buy them. A dog is a companion, a friend, but by buying from these idiots, you're just encouraging an inhuman industry. You should look up some of the abandoned mothers, you will not recognize them as dogs, since all they are being used for is to put out pups. It's despicable!
Even on the adoptions pages from frindicoes or red paws, people are literally panting when an abandoned pedigree is put up, but no-one takes up a stray, or a mixed breed.
Go to their kennels, spend some time with the strays, they are absolutely amazing, like all dogs. Hardy, low maintenance, and they will love you to death!
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:35   #4449
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
And I also agree that cats have an extraordinarily dominating influence. This same Badshah, who was such a terror to most dogs in the neighborhood, once cornered a stray cat on the terrace. And despite all his roaring and slavering at the mouth, he could not approach closer than about 5 ft from the cat - all the cat would do was to rear up on its hind legs, spit ferociously and wave its paws with claws fully extended! Badshah would retreat quickly, while the cat quietly went back to grooming itself - till Badshah immediately launched his next attack, to be met with the same fate. This continued for a while, till the cat gave a mighty leap onto the nearest parapet and with another bound was away. No one looked sillier & more embarassed than Badshah.
My kitten also chases away the building stray dog all the time. The only time the dog gets better of him is when he takes the kitten unawares -i.e. approaches without the kitten seeing him.

And the kitten used to chase away the dog even the kitten was just 2 months old. My kitten will never ever back down from a fight - with the dog or other bigger cats. He may be scared and he may be shivering with fear but he won't back down.
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:33   #4450
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
him to meerut their hometown, and the vet . Died.

Guys, please dont go to these puppy mills.

people fall over themselves to buy them. A dog is a companion, a friend, but by buying from
abandoned mothers, you will not recognize them as dogs, since all they are being used for is to put out pups. It's despicable!
up, but no-one takes up a stray, or a mixed breed.
Go to their kennels, spend some time with the strays, they are absolutely amazing, like all dogs. Hardy, low maintenance, and they will love you to death!

I wholeheartedly endorse the Non Patronage of nasty Breeders.

In fact I wish there were harsher penalties upto and including 'Death by Hanging' for all those who ill treat animals in a wanton and evil manner.

My poor Cassie was adopted from a friend in 2007, who luckily recognised that he and his kids couldnt do her justice and thank god she came to me.

Daisy came to me from CUPA. Abandoned in RT Nagar at the age of 4 months in 2005.
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:47   #4451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
<snipped>
spend some time with the strays, they are absolutely amazing, like all dogs. Hardy, low maintenance, and they will love you to death!
+1

Say no to puppy mills please. There are a lot diseases that are hereditary to the purebreeds. These puppy mills bring out the worst of them.

Strays (the ones that live past their first 6 months) are exceptionally hardy, and are mostly (genetic) disease free - all due to natural selection.
Mongrels / strays / INDogs don't grow to their fullest height/weight due to malnutrition - feed one proper food and you shall see the difference.
Also - they respond to medication very quickly (validated firsthand) and if properly vaccinated, can make the best of pets.
Old 22nd May 2017, 14:59   #4452
BHPian

Let me introduce you to Barfi, our super cute and dignified Spitz, who has brought such joy and love in our lives for the past 2 years.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1337.jpg

Barfi was found abandoned on the streets of Pune two years ago, lean and starving, with tick fever and a host of health issues. He was rescued and treated by Blue Cross and put up for adoption. One look at him and we immediately brought him home, on Aug 5th 2015. The vet said his age should be approx. 7.5 – 8 years, considering his overall health, teeth etc. Extremely well-mannered, loving and obedient, it’s a wonder how such a darling could be abandoned and left on the streets, knowing fully well that he cannot in any way fend for himself.

It did not take long for him to become the master of the house , including taking over my bed and pillow! HE just loves car rides, and pauses near our vehicle every day while on his walks, looks up at me, to see if there in any chance the doors can open and he can get in and go for a drive. Have had trips with him to Goa, Dandeli, Mahabaleshwar, Mumbai etc. and he has been a model passenger!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1212.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1323.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1119.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1080.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-fullsizerender.jpg

Over the past few days, he stopped eating and we got him examinded by the vet. The blood results have revealed that he has Chronic Kidney disease, and for the past 2-3 days, he is on IV fluids. Hope this flushes out the kidneys and brings the creatinine levels to almost normal, and he can resume eating again. He has suffered a lot in his life, and it is just hearbreaking to see this. But he is a fighter and I am hopeful he will pull through this as well, and with a suitable diet, will be able to enjoy a healthy life ahead.
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:14   #4453
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a lovely story, but what a sad paragraph after the pictures.

I'm afraid that once kidneys start to fail, it is the beginning of the end for all of us, canine, feline, human. All we can do is to keep things under control for as long as it is possible to maintain quality of life.

All the best to your dear friend Barfi.
Old 22nd May 2017, 21:51   #4454
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_iyer;

eating and we got him examinded by the vet. The blood results have revealed that he has Chronic Kidney disease, and for the past 2-3 days, he is on IV fluids. Hope this flushes out the kidneys and brings the creatinine levels to almost normal, and he can resume eating again. He has suffered a lot in his life, and it is just hearbreaking to see this. But he is a fighter and I am hopeful he will pull through this as well, and with a suitable diet, will be able to enjoy a healthy life ahead.

Please give him plenty pro biotic like curds. And there is medicine called Azodyl from Kibow Pharma in NJ USA which you can buy and arrest and slow down the kidney disease.

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd May 2017 at 09:21. Reason: Formatting post.
Old 22nd May 2017, 23:30   #4455
BHPian

How do you guys handle the mess our furry friends create when taken for a drive? My interiors are a mess with dog hair n dirty mud stains everywhere.
Anyone using products like this?
Auto Pearl - Premium Make Red Black Car Pet Seat Cover For - Renault Duster https://www.amazon.in/dp/B019OWGQJ8/..._IwYizb51A82R8

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks