Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 18:01   #1861
BHPian

There are zillion+ Reference Guides to Supplements available on net. And I think there are better ones out there to be trusted.

You see, Advertisement and Advice don't go together.
Old 4th August 2009, 21:26   #1862
Senior - BHPian

A good friend of mine who has decent knowledge in supplements told me a few days back that fat burners are harmful to health in the long run.
How true is that?
Old 5th August 2009, 00:14   #1863
BHPian

Not true. Fat Burners may be defined from standardized GTE to BCAA's to lethal DNP.
It just takes a moron to dig it and an irresponsible person who abuses it.

Certain irresponsible supplement companies have recently developed "Designer Molecules" which often fall out of FDA nomenclature (It takes certain time even for FDA to identify a potential dangerous compound before it can take it away from market). Rightfully, these "Designer" fat burners are harmful either in short or long term.

One should bear in mind that these OTC fat burners are only meant for healthy people who intend to use them as catalysts to their diet/training regime. These aids simply won't replace either your diet or training.

Safer Ones - GTE, Ginger Extract (Gingerols), Chocamine combined with Hoodia Extract can be used as a very effective fat burner.

One should take caution while going for OTC fat burners containing Yohimbine HCL, Geranamine, Ephedrine, Velvet Bean Extract, PEA, Bitter Orange Extract (Synephrine HCL) etc.
Old 5th August 2009, 01:12   #1864
BHPian

^^ wow i am so old school, have no clue what all that is :-)
my nutritional science knowledge stopped growing many years ago at protein supplements (read whey, casein, bcaa, etc)!
Old 5th August 2009, 10:18   #1865
Senior - BHPian

@1-testosterone: can you please suggest some good brands for protein supplements. I use british nutritions now. My trainer said it was made in india and it would be better if i buy something that is made in usa. Is this true ? The thing is i get only british nutritions very close to my house, anything else i have to search now. Maybe aadix can help me source the protein.
Old 5th August 2009, 10:28   #1866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ wow i am so old school, have no clue what all that is :-)
+1 to that! My purpose for a workout is so that i can eat whatever i desire, without a care. Its like, i workout so i can eat. i dont eat so i can workout

Some of the posts here take me back to my chemistry lectures !! Both equally incomprehensible to my feeble mind.
Old 5th August 2009, 11:14   #1867
BHPian

Time to change the gym today, joining a new Gym, sorry not the Golds's , no Talwars, and others, but joining a decent Gym at Dagdi Chawl. happens to be low profile gym, with decent people to exercise. Let see how it goes.
Old 5th August 2009, 11:16   #1868
Team-BHP Support

If you have to have fat, than instead of hydrogenated Vegetable fat(Trans fats) or Animal fats(Ghee, butter,...) its always better to have vegetable oils like Olive oil, Sunflower oil, Soyabean oil, etc., etc.,
You body needs fat to function, but it does not have to be animal fat
Old 5th August 2009, 11:17   #1869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you have to have fat, than instead of hydrogenated Vegetable fat(Trans fats) or Animal fats(Ghee, butter,...) its always better to have vegetable oils like Olive oil, Sunflower oil, Soyabean oil, etc., etc.,
You body needs fat to function, but it does not have to be animal fat
+1
Animal fat is BAD.
and remember that most restaurant use it in the preparation of non-veg gravies as a cheaper alternative.
Old 5th August 2009, 11:24   #1870
BHPian

@tsk @bblost Thanks for the info. Would like to read up more on this topic.
Old 5th August 2009, 13:03   #1871
BHPian

can some one throw light on these so called negative calorie fruits and vegies.

Has anyone tried these, does these realy work ?
Old 5th August 2009, 13:11   #1872
Senior - BHPian

they take more calories in chewing and digesting than they provide. not worth in my opinion. it won't make a significant difference.

OT, I have seen people taking celery juice since it's negative calorie. the whole point it the energy spent in chewing, which is taken out when u take the juice
Old 5th August 2009, 13:18   #1873
Team-BHP Support

I think for "negative calorie food" its not just the chewing part but also digestion. For example Cucumber takes a lot of calories to digest. so even if you gorge on cucumber to your fill, it won't make you fat
Infact having lots of salad with food tones down your craving as fiber fills you up quickly.
I lost a lot of weight by increasing cucumber. It took care of hunger pangs
Old 5th August 2009, 13:38   #1874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Time to change the gym today, joining a new Gym, sorry not the Golds's , no Talwars, and others, but joining a decent Gym at Dagdi Chawl. happens to be low profile gym, with decent people to exercise. Let see how it goes.
Agree - i have some of the best workouts and best people to workout with in complete dumps. No ac, no dozen treadmills, just plain people who want to grow muscles. Everyone is clear on basics of weight training and knows what muscle is where, unlike the treadmill jockeys like nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
+1 to that! My purpose for a workout is so that i can eat whatever i desire, without a care. Its like, i workout so i can eat. i dont eat so i can workout

Some of the posts here take me back to my chemistry lectures !! Both equally incomprehensible to my feeble mind.
Yeah - i workout and i eat in moderation all that i desire and rest enough to recover from heavy days. Given that I am now away from home and can't make my yummy protein shakes, I have some whey a few times a week - thats it
Old 5th August 2009, 15:23   #1875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Not true. Fat Burners may be defined from standardized GTE to BCAA's to lethal DNP.
It just takes a moron to dig it and an irresponsible person who abuses it.

Certain irresponsible supplement companies have recently developed "Designer Molecules" which often fall out of FDA nomenclature (It takes certain time even for FDA to identify a potential dangerous compound before it can take it away from market). Rightfully, these "Designer" fat burners are harmful either in short or long term.

One should bear in mind that these OTC fat burners are only meant for healthy people who intend to use them as catalysts to their diet/training regime. These aids simply won't replace either your diet or training.

Safer Ones - GTE, Ginger Extract (Gingerols), Chocamine combined with Hoodia Extract can be used as a very effective fat burner.

One should take caution while going for OTC fat burners containing Yohimbine HCL, Geranamine, Ephedrine, Velvet Bean Extract, PEA, Bitter Orange Extract (Synephrine HCL) etc.
Thanks for the info.
I am using - D4 thermal shock from cellucor.
Its ingredients are -

Ingredient Info:
Embelic Myrobalan
Caffeine 290mg
white willow bark
sclarex-clary sage
octopamine hcl
yohimbex-yohimbe 8%alkaloids
evodiamine hcl
vinerol-vinpocetine
acetyl L-tyrosine
Passion Flower Extract