Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2009, 11:47   #1921
BHPian

@navpreet - hehe was just kidding on that post. But i do agree we need to be careful. And i would say i still don't have any such old trustworthy contacts or sources, maybe the reason is that i am not so heavily dependent on supplements.
So the closest trust point for me is a store like reliance, who are known for stocking loads of supplements. Maybe if i make a US trip, or know someone who is going, I will ask em to get me a myofusion tub or something :-)
Old 16th August 2009, 11:57   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
So this being a long weekend (fri, sat, sun) and most places unsafe to goto with all the swine flu brouhaha, i decided to use my mostly empty society gym to the max. Instead of the normal 'one a day' workout 3-4 days a week, the next 3 days, i will be going back to my older days and doing twice a day workouts

I started today afternoon (1pm) with a lats/back workout which included following
3 sets of dumbbell rows
3 sets of light weight bent knee deadlifts
48 reps of wide grip pullups
3 sets of heavy bent knee deadlifts (after missing this exercise for many years, max i could go today was 60 kilos, maybe i was tired from the pullups)
24 reps of close grip pullups

Now back home and gonna glug some choco whey and rest. Next workout at 8pm (most probably chest)
Tomorrow is afternoon shoulders and evening biceps,triceps, forearms
Sunday is afternoon legs (squats and lunges) and evening hamstrings, calves and lowerback.

The emphasis is on old school basic/compound movements. Any tips on exercises or the schedule of body parts is welcome!

On the subject of improving the immune system whey protein seems to be useful

DOES WHEY PROTEIN BENEFITS YOUR HEALTH
Old 16th August 2009, 17:49   #1923
Senior - BHPian

hey karlsson thats a great link for getting to know whey protein benefits.Also there has been a recent study done on Hepatitis B positive patients.and the use of whey protein has benefitted the liver functions and has had a positive effect on those patients.

Whey has a lot of benefits.Its just gotta be good quality one.

And jassi i knew you were kidding.lol.with the choco and chalk powder.But the harsh truth is that even i have been subject to these fake whey.A former trainer got this whey for me.he said its from Denmark and its the whey supplied to ON and all other big companies to make their flavoured whey.

This was a very bad tasting whey.very very bad.

Now after using this for a couple of months and not seeing any positive effects but negative effects like stomach problems etc, i took it to a friend in chandigarh who makes whey.he says his whey is not of a good quality but then there is a market for these too.people who can't afford expensive whey buy this, which is a non flavoured and has a low protein content.something like 50-60%

Now i showed this whey to him and he then and there said its from his company.i was shocked.and then we ran some chemical tests on it and it showed mostly casien and 45-50% whey.and that too of not good quality.By good quality he meant that whey is supposed to be manufactured by various filtering and other processes and this whey is made with the cheapest possible process.
it costs him about Rs.100 per Kg.

this was the real wake up call for me.I decided then that i'll only buy from respected stores.this store in chandigarh is a very good store and even this friend buys whey from this store since the past 10 years.so i have nothing to worry as such.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:06   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kärlsson View Post
What I meant was that only a genetic freak can add 181 pounds to the bar in just 3 months with a body weight of just 145 pounds. It's way too much progress for a novice and not realistic. I think you need to recheck the markings on the plates. Or you were not squatting to the same depth that Rippetoe teaches. And the novice program for the fastest progress is 3x5 not 5x5.
I seem to have stirred up some controversy... Im definitely not a genetic freak and neither did I make that kind of progress, but I made good progress.

Also I mentioned in the first post it was a b@stardised rippetoes.

I was not a novice in the gym, had worked out for 6 months earlier and then had a break of about 4-5 months and restarted. I was new to squatting though...but not new to the gym. So first time I went in I did some free squats and then slapped on 10 kg plates. So thats 44 LBS + 45 lbs bar.

They were ivanko olympic plates and bars, so standard markings.

I squatted ATG and little below parallel but nothing less.

So if ATG is the benchmark then yeah I cheated. I have never let form suffer and guess I come from a different school of thought but I believe there is no right and wrong way to this as long as form is perfect.
Old 17th August 2009, 11:22   #1925
BHPian

Jassi: just a general question about your workout. Why exactly are doing the morning-evening routine?
Instead of the 3 sets light weight deadlift, why dont u do barbell rows as your 1st set, let the next set be dumbell rows (holding the dumbell in a one arm row fashion), then pull - ups, then the last thing could be Deadlift.
Old 17th August 2009, 11:44   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
I seem to have stirred up some controversy... Im definitely not a genetic freak and neither did I make that kind of progress, but I made good progress.

Also I mentioned in the first post it was a b@stardised rippetoes.

I was not a novice in the gym, had worked out for 6 months earlier and then had a break of about 4-5 months and restarted. I was new to squatting though...but not new to the gym. So first time I went in I did some free squats and then slapped on 10 kg plates. So thats 44 LBS + 45 lbs bar.

They were ivanko olympic plates and bars, so standard markings.

I squatted ATG and little below parallel but nothing less.

So if ATG is the benchmark then yeah I cheated. I have never let form suffer and guess I come from a different school of thought but I believe there is no right and wrong way to this as long as form is perfect.
This is what you said in the earlier post so please excuse me if I misunderstood.

Quote "I did a *******ized rippetoe's for 3 months in 2007. Went from squatting an empty barbell to 225 LBS in those 3 months, and Im a small dude, body weight never went above 145lbs." unquote

No controversy just simple facts . You said you followed your version of the Rippetoe training program. Have you read his books Starting Strength and Practical Programing? I am sure you agree that Mark Rippetoe knows his stuff with 30 years of barbell training. The man is 53 years old and still squats 320 pounds for 20 reps.

The 3x5 program is the fastest and most efficient way for a novice to get strong.

Working out in the gym for 6 months does not count unless you trained the big lifts with a linear progression. You are still a novice. No offense, I am quoting Rippetoe himself.

ATG is the bench mark only for Olympic high bar squats, not the low bar squats Rippetoe teaches. The low bar squat is slightly below parallel engaging the hamstrings.

It is humanly impossible to add 181 pounds to the bar in 3 months at a body weight of 145 pounds even if you are an intermediate lifter. No one makes that kind of progress. Rippetoe has a Q&A on the strengthmill.net forum, you can ask him yourself. cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
hey karlsson thats a great link for getting to know whey protein benefits.Also there has been a recent study done on Hepatitis B positive patients.and the use of whey protein has benefitted the liver functions and has had a positive effect on those patients.

Whey has a lot of benefits.Its just gotta be good quality one.

And jassi i knew you were kidding.lol.with the choco and chalk powder.But the harsh truth is that even i have been subject to these fake whey.A former trainer got this whey for me.he said its from Denmark and its the whey supplied to ON and all other big companies to make their flavoured whey.

This was a very bad tasting whey.very very bad.

Now after using this for a couple of months and not seeing any positive effects but negative effects like stomach problems etc, i took it to a friend in chandigarh who makes whey.he says his whey is not of a good quality but then there is a market for these too.people who can't afford expensive whey buy this, which is a non flavoured and has a low protein content.something like 50-60%

Now i showed this whey to him and he then and there said its from his company.i was shocked.and then we ran some chemical tests on it and it showed mostly casien and 45-50% whey.and that too of not good quality.By good quality he meant that whey is supposed to be manufactured by various filtering and other processes and this whey is made with the cheapest possible process.
it costs him about Rs.100 per Kg.

this was the real wake up call for me.I decided then that i'll only buy from respected stores.this store in chandigarh is a very good store and even this friend buys whey from this store since the past 10 years.so i have nothing to worry as such.
We get Optimum Nutrition here in Bangalore at a distributor price of about 3600 rs for 5 pounds and 6600 rs for 10 pounds. Good stuff.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd August 2009 at 18:18. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 17th August 2009, 15:15   #1927
BHPian

Quote:
What I meant was that only a genetic freak can add 181 pounds to the bar in just 3 months with a body weight of just 145 pounds. It's way too much progress for a novice and not realistic. I think you need to recheck the markings on the plates. Or you were not squatting to the same depth that Rippetoe teaches. And the novice program for the fastest progress is 3x5 not 5x5.
Quote:
This is what you said in the earlier post so please excuse me if I misunderstood.

Quote "I did a *******ized rippetoe's for 3 months in 2007. Went from squatting an empty barbell to 225 LBS in those 3 months, and Im a small dude, body weight never went above 145lbs." unquote

It is humanly impossible to add 181 pounds to the bar in 3 months at a body weight of 145 pounds even if you are an intermediate lifter. No one makes that kind of progress. Rippetoe has a Q&A on the strengthmill.net forum, you can ask him yourself. cheers.
With all due respect, please use the PM feature for such banter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Yes, alongside.
Surprised?
Ja! A little caffeine-rich diet, isn't it?
Old 17th August 2009, 19:14   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
We get Optimum Nutrition here in Bangalore at a distributor price of about 3600 rs for 5 pounds and 6600 rs for 10 pounds. Good stuff.
Thats the same price at reliance i guess after the 10% discount - where are you buying from?
Old 17th August 2009, 23:22   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well if its distributor price its too much.the place in chandigarh sells it for 3500.and as a guy working there is a friend of mine he told me that the distributor price is 2600-2800 depending on the lot that arrives.

And the retail Tag on the container is for 4250-4300.

There is a huge margin in these packs.
Old 18th August 2009, 10:16   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, Im the one who should apologize since my post was ambiguous.

I guess there is something I have overlooked, Iv got a log of my 3 months lying somewhere, will PM you a copy so we can see what mistake Iv made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
With all due respect, please use the PM feature for such banter.
Banter?? Bro it is not banter at all.

Karlssons inputs is probably one of the more serious discussions that have been on this thread these days vs all the supplement pimping!
Old 18th August 2009, 10:49   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Godog - bodybuilding and strength training is not just talking about supplements and steroids.

Its got more to do with exercise, workouts/training, progress, and diet.

What we (souljah, kalrson, me) are talking about is first three aspects.

And I guess there is ABSOLUTELY no need for us to do this in hush-hush manner via PMs.

Souljah dude, as I said earlier - if what you say is really correct, then I have become a fan. (Especially because the squat is the most problematic movt for me).

Besides, yesterday I tried reverse lunges. Absolutely no strain on the knee, gives the legs and butts almost equivalent to squat workout (in fact better in balancing aspect). Felt great after finishing the WO.
Totally reverse of what I felt after trying forward lunges.

Last edited by alpha1 : 18th August 2009 at 10:54.
Old 18th August 2009, 12:36   #1932
BHPian

alpha,jassi,pranav, vikram, and the whole gang , need help. I am somehow not able to do squats till the grass, i dont know i dont feel very confident about it, i need to break that myth. I can do it without weights but somehow with weights i feel scared of getting an injury on the back or knee. Help Needed.

Alpha i totally agree with you in lunges. Do you do with Dumbell or Barbell, or on the smith machine.
Old 18th August 2009, 15:00   #1933
BHPian

Here is the final workout i used for the twice a day routine
Day 1 morning - Lats/Back
3 sets of dumbbell rows
3 sets of light weight bent knee deadlifts
48 reps of wide grip pullups
3 sets of heavy bent knee deadlifts
24 reps of close grip pullups
Day 1 evening - Chest
3 sets of flat dumbbell flys
10 sets of barbell flat benchpress (going up the rack to 80% of 1repmax and then down)
3 sets of dumbbell pullovers
Day 2 morning - Legs
9 mins of light treadmill to warmup
15 sets of barbell squats (all the way from empty to 80% of 1repmax and then back down)
3 sets of barbell lunges (full lunges i.e. stand upright and then lunge forward)
Day 2 evening - Legs
6 sets of Good mornings
6 sets of SLDL (straight leg deadlift)
18 sets of calf raises (front and rear)
Day 3 morning - Shoulders
3 sets of arnold presses
3 sets of dumbbell presses
3 sets of clean and press
3 sets of barbell presses (behind the neck)
3 sets of side raises
3 sets of trapezius rows
Day 3 evening - Arms
6 sets of dumbbell twists to warmup
6 sets of dumbbell curls
3 sets of 21s
6 sets of dumbbell tricep kickbacks
6 sets of tricep extensions
12 sets of forearms curls (front and reverse)

Note - i did 10 mins of pre and 10 mins of post workout stretching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Jassi: just a general question about your workout. Why exactly are doing the morning-evening routine?
Instead of the 3 sets light weight deadlift, why dont u do barbell rows as your 1st set, let the next set be dumbell rows (holding the dumbell in a one arm row fashion), then pull - ups, then the last thing could be Deadlift.
Thats a good variation on exercises sohail, but thats what i normally do. I wanted to change the order and type of exercises and also move to a twice a day routine on that long weekend so as to shock my body with something different. Also i wanted to mostly do the basic compound movements (which i attribute a lot of early development too), hence added things like clean and press, plenty of pullups, squats, etc.
Also I am more of a think on the gym floor guy - i don't plan or stick to the same schedule all the time. All i know is the muscle parts i need to work and then i just go for the exercises which i can best do on that day. I ensure that every workout for the same muscle has some variation. This twice a day thing was just one good variation which i may do on long weekends (ofcourse i will rotate the exercises or muscle groups being worked out on same day each time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Godog - bodybuilding and strength training is not just talking about supplements and steroids.

Its got more to do with exercise, workouts/training, progress, and diet.

Besides, yesterday I tried reverse lunges. Absolutely no strain on the knee, gives the legs and butts almost equivalent to squat workout (in fact better in balancing aspect). Felt great after finishing the WO.
Totally reverse of what I felt after trying forward lunges.
completely agree dude - this thread is just about supplements. I do believe supps are important but i think there are other things to discuss too, like form, different exercises, rep counts, variations, et al
On the point of lunges, i believe in em, but i only know one variety. Stand upright and lunge forward and then back to upright. I do these with a weighted bar mostly. I don't like the partial lunge where you just hang around in the lunge position and bob up and down. I am ready to do it, if you guys tell me its worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
alpha,jassi,pranav, vikram, and the whole gang , need help. I am somehow not able to do squats till the grass, i dont know i dont feel very confident about it, i need to break that myth. I can do it without weights but somehow with weights i feel scared of getting an injury on the back or knee. Help Needed.

Alpha i totally agree with you in lunges. Do you do with Dumbell or Barbell, or on the smith machine.
Maybe you could try with an empty bar to get the balance and feel. Or maybe try with dumbbells, as you would when doing lunges. Lastly you could try the smith machine if it makes you feel safe, but just for getting used to weights. I would strongly suggest you learn squats with free weights. Somehow in machines your natural sense of balance is not honed. But if you need to do real heavy and need that extra support, machines are best.
How do you do lunges with smith machine I am a bit old school and don't like the smith machine as much as free weights (bar and dumbbells). I think you mean the lunges where you just stay in the lunge position and move up and down and never go upright like a full lunge.

Last edited by jassi : 18th August 2009 at 15:04.
Old 18th August 2009, 18:44   #1934
BHPian

Jassi: thats right, Stay at the Lunge Position and move up and down. I tried that for two weeks, but then moved. Now i walk with the dumbells in the lunges position around the gym. LOLS.
Let me try the grass touch squat today. I think i will practice it more often. will put up the results soon of how it goes.
Old 18th August 2009, 19:20   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Do you guys recommend these exercise for someone with an occassional back pain-
Squats, Lunges, deadlifrs.
Expert opinions required.

@Jassi- That is a nice routine.
I use to do something similar few years back.

Also i need a good 6 day workout routine with 2 body part exercises each day- like chest and biceps, shoulders and triceps types.
Suggestions are welcomed

Last edited by harry10 : 18th August 2009 at 19:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks