Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 10:48   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Yeah I saw that documentary before. A must watch for everyone here. Wish I could show it to those buffed up guys at the gym, who are on their way to erectile dysfunctions and kidney failures.
No offense but that could have been worded better I think. It sounds like the lay man saying "Gym, Big guys, Steroids, death".

I dont know the statistics but I would say a very very small % of people with ED and Kidney failures would be related with being big, buff and going to the gym.

More people are dying sitting at the bar downing whiskeys and smoking ciggs. A guy who goes to the gym and has done a mild steroid cycle (supervised medically) is probably going to be in much better health and function than an individual who does not train.

The video shows bodybuilders who are constantly running cycles, which is equivalent to smoking and drinking EXCESSIVELY, eating unhealthy and deep fried foods on a daily basis for years on end.

Im not propagating the use of steroids, in fact I condone it, if your a competitor then it is a different story. Your body your choice.

My point is people's mentality towards weight lifters has got to change.

Peace
Old 24th August 2009, 11:37   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
With all due respect, please use the PM feature for such banter.

Ja! A little caffeine-rich diet, isn't it?
godog this a serious discussion and not banter. The content will help hard working guys here with their own programming. It is important to have realistic goals and not be mislead by inflated numbers. I have spent enough time under the barbell to know how progression takes place. in about 18 months I have also seen my 14 year old son increase his low bar parallel squat ( crease of the hips below the top of the knee) to 187 pounds ( 85 kilos) 3x5 . I am sure those numbers will go up as he gets older. He has also grown from 5 feet 3 inches to 5 feet 10 inches in this time so yes kids too can lift heavy so long as the form is good and you have the right coach.

But mistakes with numbers can happen with anyone as in souljah's case. And by no means was I trying to belittle his efforts. Its great that he is some one who trains. Not everyone has the mental strength to get under a Barbell or do any form of exercise. That's why I recommended Mark Rippetoe who is a serious strength coach in Texas. I have had the benefit of interacting with Rip personally for couple of years and seen his simple advice working very well. Just thought it fit to share. Thats all.
Old 24th August 2009, 11:52   #1968
BHPian

This is an explanation of the differences between strength training and body building routines. If your goal is functional strength ( sportsmen) low rep and heavy for myofibrillar hypertrophy but if you are a figure model like a BB then sacroplasmic hypertrophy of muscle is what you are looking for.

"Myofibrillar hypertrophy is the growth of the myofibrils. I have read that they also split into a greater number of myofibrils as well. The myofibrils contain the sarcomere, which is the functional unit of muscle tissue. This is the one that affects strength. It is best achieved through higher intensity weight training with sufficient volume to spark structural adaptations.

Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is an increase in intracellular fluid volume; the intracellular fluid is called the sarcoplasm, hence the name. So, yes, energy stores go up with this form of hypertrophy as glycogen is contained primarily within the sarcoplasm. This is best achieved when moving closer toward the endurance end of the spectrum.

Both of these lead to an increase in muscle mass."
Old 24th August 2009, 12:36   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

6. Based on this - your purpose if it is to build more strength, you will take up very heavy loads, do small reps (simply because you cannot do more with that weight), and train to fatigue on every set.
Which would burn more calories ? For weightloss purpose which is better, more reps or more weights.

Last edited by manavdotcom : 24th August 2009 at 12:37.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:13   #1970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
I really doubt thats what he meant to say, but then I do not want to be a lawyer working without fee's so will wait for alpha to come along
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh View Post
^ You mean to say its better to do a circuit training every alternate day than just hitting one muscle a day?
Yogesh, I don't know what you would call a circuit training.

But based on the 48 hr rest period - if you are doing the same body part two or three times a week - it hits it.

Some ppl rationalize by saying that ultimately its 12 sets per week that I have hit, whether I finish it off in one day, or split it in 3 days (say mon, wed, fri).
Sure, but then what about the unnecessary long rest period.

Anyway, as I said, everything works for genetically gifted ppl. Unfortunate ppl like me try to copy them, and learn the hard way.

Last edited by alpha1 : 24th August 2009 at 13:23.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:20   #1971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Which would burn more calories ? For weightloss purpose which is better, more reps or more weights.
There are conflicting theories about which leads to more calories burn, but I can safely assume you are talking about getting ripped and cutting down the subcutaneous lard on the body.

For that you'll have to bring the diet under severe control.
And, well that is something that your body doing the strength training routine will not really like

The fact I am trying to hammer is that you won't be able to sustain strength training on controlled diet. Its severly severely draining and taxing on all body resources, you will feel exhausted thoughout the day and extinguished by the nightfall.

Better to stick to more "sissy" bodybuilding WOs.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:44   #1972
Team-BHP Support

A couple of posts back I had mentioned about this nasty muscle tightness I was suffering from.
It would come and go.
I taught it was my phone, turns the phone was only making matters worse.

My uncle is a renowned Unani physician. He happened to be visiting Hyderabad and I asked his opinion.

He asked me if the pain coincides with potatoes in my diet.
It did.

So now I am off potatoes and prawns.
Saturday took a bath after leaving egg white on my head for like 20 minutes.
Been advised hot water bag and/or washing my shoulder with little salt mixed in warm water, while bathing.

feeling much better.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:47   #1973
Senior - BHPian

[quote=AshOnTheRocks;1444443]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Now am trying to get my hands on Syntrax Nectar which am not able to find in NCR at the moment.

Hi Harsh - I am using Syntrax Nectar for last few months and it is available in NCR. Infact, I bought it from a place near Defence Colony.
@ASh- had send you a pm regarding this.

@Jassi and others- Thanks for your advices. Am able to solve the prob with bench press now.
Old 24th August 2009, 20:13   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Yogesh, I don't know what you would call a circuit training.

But based on the 48 hr rest period - if you are doing the same body part two or three times a week - it hits it.

Some ppl rationalize by saying that ultimately its 12 sets per week that I have hit, whether I finish it off in one day, or split it in 3 days (say mon, wed, fri).
Sure, but then what about the unnecessary long rest period.

Anyway, as I said, everything works for genetically gifted ppl. Unfortunate ppl like me try to copy them, and learn the hard way.
What I meant by circuit training was working out all the muscles every 48hrs instead of working out one muscle a day. Anyway your post explains it clearly

This thread seems to be going in the right direction now
Old 25th August 2009, 12:17   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A couple of posts back I had mentioned about this nasty muscle tightness I was suffering from.
It would come and go.
I taught it was my phone, turns the phone was only making matters worse.

My uncle is a renowned Unani physician. He happened to be visiting Hyderabad and I asked his opinion.

He asked me if the pain coincides with potatoes in my diet.
It did.

So now I am off potatoes and prawns.
Saturday took a bath after leaving egg white on my head for like 20 minutes.
Been advised hot water bag and/or washing my shoulder with little salt mixed in warm water, while bathing.

feeling much better.
I can understand prawns - ppl have system allergic to it.
But potatoes!!

Egg whites are, besides the point, good for hair.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:20   #1976
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I can understand prawns - ppl have system allergic to it.
But potatoes!!

Egg whites are, besides the point, good for hair.

Been asked to avoid eating food that can cause gas issues.
I don't know the relation. but it sure seems to work.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:52   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
No offense but that could have been worded better I think. It sounds like the lay man saying "Gym, Big guys, Steroids, death".

I dont know the statistics but I would say a very very small % of people with ED and Kidney failures would be related with being big, buff and going to the gym.

More people are dying sitting at the bar downing whiskeys and smoking ciggs. A guy who goes to the gym and has done a mild steroid cycle (supervised medically) is probably going to be in much better health and function than an individual who does not train.

The video shows bodybuilders who are constantly running cycles, which is equivalent to smoking and drinking EXCESSIVELY, eating unhealthy and deep fried foods on a daily basis for years on end.

Im not propagating the use of steroids, in fact I condone it, if your a competitor then it is a different story. Your body your choice.

My point is people's mentality towards weight lifters has got to change.

Peace
While your point is certainly valid, I did not like the general tone of the pro-steroid lobby. A lot of them seem to justify it saying that it's not as harmful as tobacco or alcohol, and helps you get stronger. I saw another documentary (The Union - The Business Behind Getting High) where they were promoting pot and used the same comparison.

What I believe in is that just because other people are poisoning themselves with tobacco, alcohol and caffeine, you don't have to justify steroids by comparing it with them. It should be considered harmful in its own right, not relative to some other "drug". If our society is filled with all kinds of vices, doesn't mean that people who at least have an option to choose should make the bad choice.

Heck I've seen a lot of guys who go to the gym for the wrong reasons. The shortest guys in my gym wanna be the biggest, and the fattest guys wanna be even bigger. I think a lot of people these days tend to think that they can use muscles to mask themselves, so that they can "hide" the real person, like a defense mechanism. Kind of like how overweight people use food as theirs. Self-esteem is in real short supply these days.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:04   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Heck I've seen a lot of guys who go to the gym for the wrong reasons. The shortest guys in my gym wanna be the biggest, and the fattest guys wanna be even bigger. I think a lot of people these days tend to think that they can use muscles to mask themselves, so that they can "hide" the real person, like a defense mechanism. Kind of like how overweight people use food as theirs. Self-esteem is in real short supply these days.
Take a break from your gym. You should be concentrating on the workouts, not the people.
Old 27th August 2009, 13:17   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Take a break from your gym. You should be concentrating on the workouts, not the people.
Nice one pranav.
But i agree to him to an extent.
A person close to me told me few days back the real reason he has started gymming.
He started cos he drinks and smokes regularly and by doing gym he wants to level the body balance. I had head lot of werid reasons but this was really shocking.
He is not a newbie and has lot of knowledge about body building,still..

And Pranav no matter how intense is your workout you do notice people around. human nature.
Old 27th August 2009, 15:15   #1980
BHPian

Has anyone tried BSN Syntha 6, How is it compared to ON whey?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks