Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 15:50   #2116
BHPian

spawn/sudipto - given that this thread is more to do with supplements as per first post, lets rename this to 'the bodybuilding supplements thread' and have a separate one on fitness/bodybuilding/workouts/martial arts/yoga/anything-fitness.
In this thread its impossible for anyone to find any info other than supplement shops/tastes/prices :-)
Old 27th October 2009, 16:39   #2117
BHPian

@Jassi - That is true there is a lot of info on supplements way more than actual excercies.

One thing from my own experience is that I am trying to lose weight as well an build muscle, and I have been doing 2 body parts a week 3 days a week and suryanamaskar, crunches, prisoner squats (non-weighted). And I have been losing weight and gaining muscle in the last month. I will put some pics up from a month before and lter this week for comparison sake. A good idea is to take before and after pics, they are the greatest motivation a person can have. P.S. I was also taking isopure (not anymore)
Old 27th October 2009, 19:07   #2118
Team-BHP Support

It think it is better to discuss bodybuilding and supplements in the same thread, afterall they go hand-in-hand. We can leave the other thread purely for other fitness areas like BWC,yoga,martial arts, pilates, etc.
Old 27th October 2009, 21:06   #2119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It think it is better to discuss bodybuilding and supplements in the same thread, afterall they go hand-in-hand. We can leave the other thread purely for other fitness areas like BWC,yoga,martial arts, pilates, etc.
I totally agree, I really dont see the point in having 2 separate threads. Bodybuilding and nutrition go hand in hand.

Not many people will be able to get to their desired shape with just natural food and nutrition. If supplements help you achieve that then whats the harm in that?

Its the prerogative of the person taking the supplements to do a proper research and choose wisely. Its not like people have been forced to use supplements, are they? Test1, vikram and many others are just responding to queries of people like me.

So I think the discussion on bodybuilding and supplementation can co-exist within the same thread quite comfortably.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 27th October 2009 at 21:08. Reason: highlighting some text
Old 27th October 2009, 23:34   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Not many people will be able to get to their desired shape with just natural food and nutrition. If supplements help you achieve that then whats the harm in that?
exactly the question we have been debating for past few years on this thread trying to find a balance between the harm and the benefits.
Old 27th October 2009, 23:45   #2121
BHPian

Excellent finally atleast someone heard my suggestions
I was thinking of creating a new thread last 2-3 days, but couldn't as I was traveling a lot on work.
Lets discuss all things fitness here - including exercises and correct form, yoga, martial arts, aerobics, pilates, etc, etc and yes if needed natural non-supplemental foods and diets. All such info was lost on the other overwhelmingly supplement oriented thread.

NOTE - It is well understood that to be fit one needs good nutrition and supplements are an important form of nutrition in today's fast paced life. However this thread is not for supplements and all supplements (protein, pills, etc) discussions like shops/prices/yummy-taste should go on the bodybuilding supplements thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ts-thread.html .

Last edited by jassi : 27th October 2009 at 23:50.
Old 28th October 2009, 01:15   #2122
BHPian

my routine

good initiative.

hi friends,
my weight is 60 kg and 'm 167 cms tall.
i have been working out continually, 5 times a week in the following order for almost a year now.

1st day: Shoulders (dumbbells 5-10 kg, bar weight single side 5-10 kg)
2nd day: Biceps (dumbbells 7.5-10 kg, bar weight single side 10-15 kg)
3rd day: Back (make use of machine: don't remember the weights locked)
4th day: Chest (dumbbells 17.5-20 kg, bar weight single side 17.5-20 kg- flat bench press)
5th day: Triceps, Thighs and Full Body exercises

these include the regular exercise methods followed using bars and dumbells. 50 mins actual exercise time with little or no rest of more than 2-3 mins. i do not do cardio exercises.

my goal is to 1. Maintain Fitness 2. Put on mass .

off-late i feel like i have reached a limit. don't see much improvement especially about building mass. can the experienced/experts in this regard suggest any variation/improvement over the above routine. i can not extend the time alloted though.

looking forward for the your suggestions.

cheers,
som
Old 28th October 2009, 02:00   #2123
BHPian

^^ sticking to the same program for a year+ and a bit incomplete workout at that.
All I can say is you have gained what you could out of the current workout, but its time to move on.
You can incorporate variations, but also emphasize more on leg muscle exercises (releases HGH which aids growth) and add lower back and forearms
for shoulders
add side raises and trapezius rows
for back - try and get to 50 reps pullups, and also add bent knee deadlifts
for chest - add dumbbell flys and also dumbbell pullovers
thighs - squats, lunges/sissy-squats, calf raises
forearms - wrist curls front and reverse

As far as variations go
you can keep rotating between
chest + back
shoulders + arms
thighs + lower back
AND
chest + shoulders + triceps
back + biceps + forearms
thighs + lower back

Also you could do some cardio once a week - swimming, running, martial-arts - whatever rocks your boat!
There are other variations and exercises, but start with these and keep alternating the above for 6 months and lets see how it goes :-)

Last edited by jassi : 28th October 2009 at 02:02.
Old 28th October 2009, 02:19   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
you can keep rotating between
chest + back
shoulders + arms
thighs + lower back
AND
chest + shoulders + triceps
back + biceps + forearms
thighs + lower back

thanks for the reply jassi :-).
@above: you mean combination of these exercises daily: like day 1- chest and back and so on for the rest of the day?
Old 28th October 2009, 07:44   #2125
BHPian

Dietary Supplements that are extracted from natural sources have no side effects. In fact, they save millions every year and help millions live healthy/disease free life. Just stick to the recommended dosage and you'll be fine. It's virtually IMPOSSIBLE for most of us to get all the vital macro/micro nutrients including broad spectrum antioxidants from your daily diet (Unless you're deep into traditional Indian herb culture and possess the acumen of Baba Ramdev
Old 28th October 2009, 10:01   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
thanks for the reply jassi :-).
@above: you mean combination of these exercises daily: like day 1- chest and back and so on for the rest of the day?
yeah i meant muscle part combinations - you can get by without changing exercises, but just slightly varying the combination of muscles. I do my workouts such that it hits me differently almost every time - either vary the exercise or the combination of muscles. Trainers normally don't bother to make a set routine for me
Old 28th October 2009, 10:05   #2127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Unless you're deep into traditional Indian herb culture and possess the acumen of Baba Ramdev
thats a rare breed of people - I think for most of us the occasional protein supplement, flax seed oil, multivitamin, or joint supplement will do for now
Old 28th October 2009, 10:24   #2128
Team-BHP Support

Threads Merged. There is no point having two threads for bodybuilding. Another thread, if created, will be for fitness exercises other than bodybuilding. - Support Team
Old 28th October 2009, 10:49   #2129
BHPian

The right amount of protein to take is equal amount of your weight in lbs (pounds)
This means if u are 150lbs then ideally you should be taking 150grams of protein but this is not done by every one here. Naturally everyone has different reasons for workouts in the gym like loosing weight, being fit etc. etc.
As best said your trainer can help but he also should have knowledge about the same
Old 28th October 2009, 14:57   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_tejash View Post
The right amount of protein to take is equal amount of your weight in lbs (pounds)
This means if u are 150lbs then ideally you should be taking 150grams of protein but this is not done by every one here. Naturally everyone has different reasons for workouts in the gym like loosing weight, being fit etc. etc.
As best said your trainer can help but he also should have knowledge about the same
It becomes highly difficult for a working professional to take that much protein from food and even supplements on a daily basis. It doesn't help further if you are a pure veggie :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks