Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Q for all experts-

I started gymming again in may 09.
Currently am weighing - 87kgs and height is 6.2
Current body fat - 15.32%
Hey Harry,
How do you measure your body fat?

I got my body composition analysis done over the weekend at Hypercity. They had a machine in which the attendant fed in my information regarding height, age, sex etc and told me to step on it. I also had to hold some bar in my hand.

I was quite pleased with the readout, it showed my weight as 82kgs and body fat percentage around 18% and overall it tells I am overweight but muscular. I am not really sure how accurate these machine are. The attendant says its 90% accurate, whatever that means.

I am interested in buying those body fat scales, you can see them here. These can be had for around 2500 INR. How good or accurate as these?

Looking forward to the replies.

Cheers
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:34   #2177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
By the way i wonder why vikram has stopped posting here.come on man we need your experience here.
A few tbhpians actually believed he was pimping stuff under the radar.
1-T's next in line to get a PR: Private Rap.
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:37   #2178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hey Harry,

I got my body composition analysis done over the weekend at Hypercity. They had a machine in which the attendant fed in my information regarding height, age, sex etc and told me to step on it. I also had to hold some bar in my hand.

Looking forward to the replies.

Cheers
I am a member of Gold's gym here and we have exactly the same kind of machine on which you had checked your body composition.
I was told its around 95% accurate.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:00   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post

Oh man thats really sad.Its a weird thing that whenever there is someone knowledgeable and gives some good advice they get the PR.

first ECM,now vikram and numerous others who i might be forgetting now coz i haven't seen them online for so long.

maybe thats why 1-test has also slowed down in posting on this forum.earlier we used to have his postings pretty much everyday.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:26   #2180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
Aw that sucks! But was it true? I don't remember seeing any such posts from him or from 1-t for that matter.

Quote:
I am a member of Gold's gym here and we have exactly the same kind of machine on which you had checked your body composition.
Excellent, so I am relieved and very happy with my progress. I just tried this formula to measure my body at it shows around 17%. hurray!! Formula here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Oh man thats really sad.Its a weird thing that whenever there is someone knowledgeable and gives some good advice they get the PR.

first ECM,now vikram and numerous others who i might be forgetting now coz i haven't seen them online for so long.

maybe thats why 1-test has also slowed down in posting on this forum.earlier we used to have his postings pretty much everyday.
Indeed! Couldn;t agree more. Or are we being too trigger happy?
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:40   #2181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I highly doubt it.

Quote:
Using a body fat caliper.

This combined with the age/weight/height computation will give you a more accurate BF%

Too lazy to get into explanations but googling the terms will get you answers.
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:48   #2182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am interested in buying those body fat scales, you can see them here. These can be had for around 2500 INR. How good or accurate as these?
how accurate do you want them to be? does it matter if one machine tells you 25% and another 30% and everything else in between? you can try different machines in stores and seee the variation.

where it really helps is monitoring progress. if you are able to bring down from 35 to 15, that's really helpful in keeping track. Measuring is important, but you can gamble on accuracy as long as you are an average human just trying to keep fit. The loss of accuracy is better than somebody pinching your skin LOL. this takes just 10 seconds of standing on it.

my machine shows "out of range" error for me . but works pretty ok for my wife. I know I am thin, but didn't expect this .

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 3rd November 2009 at 00:51.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:39   #2183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
how accurate do you want them to be? does it matter if one machine tells you 25% and another 30% and everything else in between? you can try different machines in stores and seee the variation.

where it really helps is monitoring progress. if you are able to bring down from 35 to 15, that's really helpful in keeping track. Measuring is important, but you can gamble on accuracy as long as you are an average human just trying to keep fit. The loss of accuracy is better than somebody pinching your skin LOL. this takes just 10 seconds of standing on it.

my machine shows "out of range" error for me . but works pretty ok for my wife. I know I am thin, but didn't expect this .
I'd like them to be fairly accurate. Well, this machine I had tried shows my weight as 86 kgs and fat at 24%, it really put me off .

This after I had got a readout that says weight 82 kgs and fat at 16.5%, there is no comparision.

Too bad your machine does not work for you...
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:59   #2184
BHPian

^^ accuracy vs precision vs repeatability

I have one at home, I am not sure if the reading is correct, but its a good benchmark to start with and then as long as I am the same person and its the same machine, i get a consistent reading. If I lose 2 points on my fat percentage, I know its going down.

At the moment I am at 6.5% body fat at 70 kgs and height close to 5'10"
My bone density is 5.4, muscle mass 46.5 and water weight 63%
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:45   #2185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ accuracy vs precision vs repeatability

I have one at home, I am not sure if the reading is correct, but its a good benchmark to start with and then as long as I am the same person and its the same machine, i get a consistent reading. If I lose 2 points on my fat percentage, I know its going down.

At the moment I am at 6.5% body fat at 70 kgs and height close to 5'10"
My bone density is 5.4, muscle mass 46.5 and water weight 63%
Totally agree with what say. And thats an amazing fat %. My target it to reach around 12% body fat.

Which machine are you using?

Hiren
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:11   #2186
BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree with what say. And thats an amazing fat %. My target it to reach around 12% body fat.

Which machine are you using?

Hiren
I think my fat %age is low. I want to up it to 9%, but for all you know I might already be 9 and scale has an offset of 2% or so. But what I am glad about is that I can immediately tell how my %age goes up by 2 points after diwali and then drops back to normal after a month of workouts

I picked up mine from US for 50usd or so
its from Homedics HoMedics.com | HoMedics health & diagnostic products - Thermometers, Blood pressure monitors, Wraps, Magnetic wraps

Although my exact model is not in the above link anymore.
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:24   #2187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think my fat %age is low. I want to up it to 9%, but for all you know I might already be 9 and scale has an offset of 2% or so. But what I am glad about is that I can immediately tell how my %age goes up by 2 points after diwali and then drops back to normal after a month of workouts

I picked up mine from US for 50usd or so
its from Homedics HoMedics.com | HoMedics health & diagnostic products - Thermometers, Blood pressure monitors, Wraps, Magnetic wraps

Although my exact model is not in the above link anymore.
Even I was wondering the same. I think during competition the pro body builders have such low fat %.

And you're correct about diwali, it has set me back a bit now its time to burn it all off and hence my spate of posts here.

Cheers

PS: Is it only me or everyone is having issues with their post counts? Mine seem to be frozen at 113 since many days.
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:33   #2188
BHPian

Quote:
Even I was wondering the same. I think during competition the pro body builders have such low fat %.

And you're correct about diwali, it has set me back a bit now its time to burn it all off and hence my spate of posts here.

Cheers

PS: Is it only me or everyone is having issues with their post counts? Mine seem to be frozen at 113 since many days.
nopes competition bodybuilders go even lower - i have heard swimmers goto 2% and all - not quite sure, but I think 3% is lowest for the fat protecting your organs. Any lower and your body will drastically alter the functioning of organs to compensate. Also you are gonna be shivering a lot

if you post on bodybuilding threads your posts wont go up :-P

Last edited by jassi : 3rd November 2009 at 15:34.
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:21   #2189
BHPian

Hi Guys,

What is the current price of Myofusion and Dymatize Elite 5 lbs. at
your respective places? I am going to buy one of the two in this week,
so just wanted to check out the prices.

Last edited by NK@Hyd : 3rd November 2009 at 20:22. Reason: alignment
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:41   #2190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nopes competition bodybuilders go even lower - i have heard swimmers goto 2% and all - not quite sure, but I think 3% is lowest for the fat protecting your organs. Any lower and your body will drastically alter the functioning of organs to compensate. Also you are gonna be shivering a lot

if you post on bodybuilding threads your posts wont go up :-P
english channel swimmers put on fat before and lose it while swimming. pounds of it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks