Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2020, 15:02   #4651
AZT
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
No ledge or grill in/near your house or playground inside colony premise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Some sort of ledge inside? Or chajjas outside can be used. We have a couple of ledges inside that we use to store our luggage. Those work nicely for pull-ups.
Nothing in my flat I can use and we have been told not to loiter down in the society so that's a pain.
Old 5th April 2020, 23:48   #4652
BHPian

The Covid-19 lockdown has provided ample time to restart strength training, that I had left nearly 10 yrs back. Had a few weights & a barbell that I am using regularly to do squats & bench-press. I do not think, will like to go to any gym post easing of the lock-down.
Seriously considering upgrading my weight training equipment & building a home gym.

I am primarily interested in following strength exercises - Pulls-ups, Dead-lifts, Squats & Bench-Press.

Planning for the following equipment once lock-down eases
1. Power-rack 2. Olympic Barbell 3. Bumper Plates 4. Bench

Seems Challenge (https://challengebarbell.com/) & Decathlon are providing quality equipment at affordable costs. Dreaming of using the equipment & exercising regularly for a decade at at least.

Would be great if fellow members can share their home gym pictures & the list of equipment they have.
goswami.j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 00:14   #4653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
Would be great if fellow members can share their home gym pictures & the list of equipment they have.
You have covered all basics already. Just add a pair of adjustable dumbbells (depending upon budget or fixed ones), a set of resistance bands, deadlift platform and thick rubber floor mats. You are all set.

I would have loved to share my set up from few years back but I have lost all pics unfortunately or may be I need to do some digging.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 06:13   #4654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
Seems Challenge (https://challengebarbell.com/) & Decathlon are providing quality equipment at affordable costs. Dreaming of using the equipment & exercising regularly for a decade at at least.
Do check out Bullrock Fitness for very good quality Olympic barbell and bumper plates. I stumbled onto them a couple of months ago when I was looking to buy equipment for my home gym.
Also keep out an eye on OLX as well. I saw an insanely nice outdoor setup going for pretty cheap in my city. I couldn't buy it because the guy was adamant on selling the whole setup together but I didn't have that much space inside my house.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 15:57   #4655
Senior - BHPian

Once the lockdown eases, check your strength levels at the gym.
I wont be surprised if you don't see any drastic decrease (unless you have lost weight during the lockdown).
Old 14th May 2020, 18:11   #4656
Senior - BHPian

As per some newspaper reports gyms will open after 17th in Karnataka.

What are others planning on - resuming after 17th or wait for some more time ?

What precautions should one take - wear a mask in the gym ? It's going to be really uncomfortable. Mine is in the apartment complex. Need to see what kind of restrictions are imposed by the association.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 14th May 2020 at 18:22.
Old 14th May 2020, 22:44   #4657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

What precautions should one take - wear a mask in the gym ? It's going to be really uncomfortable. Mine is in the apartment complex. Need to see what kind of restrictions are imposed by the association.
I got a survey from Snap fitness on whether I will be coming. I said unlikely. So many contact areas and sharing of equipments, no thanks...
Avinash_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 22:58   #4658
Senior - BHPian

By the way CultFit has done a major downsizing and salary cuts. They are badly affected, being known for group classes.

However, their app based classes now are really good.
Old 15th May 2020, 00:15   #4659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read the same too! Apparently the govt is keen on resuming all activities except for cinema halls, so malls may open too.

I don't think I'll visit any gym for the next few months, atleast until we've hit the peak and daily cases start reducing. My gym owner is apprehensive of reopening since social distancing won't be possible and further wearing a mask (even if its a cloth mask) is near impossible while working out.

For the last 30 odd days I've been working out at home and intend to do the same, will add a barbell in the next few days may be.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 12:25   #4660
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Can someone suggest good workout gloves?

I wanted them before the pandemic, but i couldn't find them as i prefer to try them on first. But i guess this won't be possible for quite some time, so I'll have to buy them online. I don't know how effective they will be in the situation we are in today!
Old 15th May 2020, 13:39   #4661
Senior - BHPian

Opening gyms may be more dangerous than other public places.
Reason:
* most gyms are small sized and people workout typically in close vicinity.
* gym= sweating = wet contact with all surfaces
* gym= sweating = people inadvertently touching all over to wipe the sweat
* many gym goers are fanatics and will continue coming even though they are feeling little sick brushing it aside as fatigue

Gloves wont help unless you are ultra careful about not touching your hands to your body (not just face) during workout or rest.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 13:42   #4662
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Can someone suggest good workout gloves?
I have found these Weight Training Glove 900 with Wrist Strap - Black with Grey very comfortable.

They have lasted quite well except for the stitching in the left index finger giving up after a couple of months. I still use them because that is not a problem.

Last edited by bblost : 15th May 2020 at 13:44.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 13:58   #4663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

While I have been sorely missing out on my weight training sessions, and have now lost out on lot of progress in the last couple of months siting at home, I am pretty apprehensive about rejoining a gym. More importantly, it is still a strong rumor, I have my doubts about government allowing it, and gym owners being willing to take the responsibility of ensuring and underwriting the distancing requirements.
Old 15th May 2020, 14:43   #4664
Senior - BHPian

Some advice for a beginner. I was on Low Carb diet for the past 2 months to get some weight loss and pretty much succesfful with that and now closer to an ideal weight.

I would like to now start some muscle strengthening and muscle build up routines for the next 2 or so months or so. It is going to be at home due to the current covid situation - some exercises using body weights, plus with a pair of dumb bells. Do you suggest that I take some supplement - probably whey. If so any inputs on what to start with. There are plethora of different flavors out there.
Old 20th May 2020, 23:10   #4665
Senior - BHPian

I used to hit the gym at my office regularly before the lockdown. After the WFH mandate and subsequent closure of gym I took it easy and relaxed for couple of weeks. Seeing that I am becoming lazy, I made up my mind to start running regularly and also ordered resistance bands.

I have to say that its much refreshing going out for a run at the end of day. Relaxes the mind and helps to get the adrenaline boost. I then come home and workout for 30-40 mins using the resistance bands (NKY resistance bands) and also some free hand exercises.

Keeping one active is very much needed I feel especially during with the WFH. I also ordered Vegan protein powder (my reg powder is stuck in the gym locker room at office), All natural peanut butter and multivitamins from myprotein.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-img_0235.jpg

Powder is not for everyone's taste for sure. I tried with my usual way of mixing with water but found it difficult. Mixing with fruits (like banana/apple) or oats and peanut butter in blender helped me get used to the taste.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks