Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2020, 17:12   #1261
Team-BHP Support

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
As I had written earlier, the national lockdown has ended for all practical purposes. There is not going one big bang national "reopening". Every state will make their own call when and what to reopen in the next couple of weeks. Trains, and Flights are the only things center will decide.
It appears, we guys in the North will have to suffer more. Like here in Chandigarh, one can go outside by foot only for 4 hours that too in the nearest market. No bike/ Cycle or Cars allowed. Despite less than 50 cases, we have curfew since 22nd March.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 17:23   #1262
BANNED

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It appears, we guys in the North will have to suffer more. Like here in Chandigarh, one can go outside by foot only for 4 hours that too in the nearest market. No bike/ Cycle or Cars allowed. Despite less than 50 cases, we have curfew since 22nd March.

That's because we are not under a lockdown, we are under a curfew.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/pu...o-decide-76117

Quote:
However, Punjab government is yet to take a call on these directives, tweeted Special Chief Secretary KBS Sidhu.

"This does not automatically apply to Punjab, where restrictions have been imposed under section 144 CrPC. Please wait for formal announcement by Punjab Government,’’
https://twitter.com/kbssidhu1961/sta...77598251134977

An absolute comedy, the way Punjab Govt and Punjab Police have handled this.

Dont know whether to use or
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 22:09   #1263
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy to read that KA will break down lockdown areas from districts to taluks, which are far more granular. So taluks which are virus free can be reopened as opposed to entire districts. Much fairer in my opinion.
itwasntme is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 23:02   #1264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Happy to read that KA will break down lockdown areas from districts to taluks, which are far more granular.
Can you share source, will Tweet to Punjab guys
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 23:12   #1265
Team-BHP Support

Okay, the police in Ludhiana (or Punjab) is enforcing social distancing inside cars too. So your if you are two people the passenger has to sit in the back. Is any other state doing such weird stuff? Are people allowed to live in the same room in their houses? What about those with one bedroom apartments?
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 23:19   #1266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Okay, the police in Ludhiana (or Punjab) is enforcing social distancing inside cars too. So your if you are two people the passenger has to sit in the back. Is any other state doing such weird stuff? Are people allowed to live in the same room in their houses? What about those with one bedroom apartments?
Not only Punjab, this has been the case in UP, Bihar and Jharkhand as well. Only two people inside a normal car are allowed and that too when the other occupant has to sit on left rear seat(diagonally opposite to the driver).

Regards,
Shashi
Old 28th April 2020, 23:57   #1267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Happy to read that KA will break down lockdown areas from districts to taluks, which are far more granular. So taluks which are virus free can be reopened as opposed to entire districts. Much fairer in my opinion.
I don't think it's official yet. Karnataka government has classified the Covid-19 zones both taluk and district wise. Posting the pics tweeted by Health minister.

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-img_20200428_234929.jpg

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-img_20200428_235356.jpg

Note:

District will be red zone with 15 or more cases and it's 5+ for Taluk.

Edit: This is the official government order released today. The lockdown relaxation is district wise
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-screenshot_20200429000413961_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 29th April 2020 at 00:07.
Dr.Naren is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 00:15   #1268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Happy to read that KA will break down lockdown areas from districts to taluks, which are far more granular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can you share source, will Tweet to Punjab guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I don't think it's official yet.
From Ashoka, Revenue Minister who usually doesn't shoot off his mouth. This is for post-3rd May scenario only, not currently.
Karnataka is desperate to reopen liquor shops: this will help them achieve it :-)

https://www.deccanherald.com/state/t...-3-831111.html
https://www.businessinsider.in/india...w/75434105.cms

Last edited by itwasntme : 29th April 2020 at 00:23.
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 00:45   #1269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is for post-3rd May scenario only, not currently...
Better late than never. Won't speculate on intent, but localizing clusters was always the more sensible way to go about this, because it makes it easier to find and isolate potential cases, and it's logistically more effective too.

Even if an entire district needs to be isolated, it still makes sense to break it down into smaller units for containment purposes.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 07:38   #1270
Team-BHP Support

Technically, District vice classification makes little sense. There are many sizeable towns next to one another but in different districts. I can give many examples of here in North and am sure this will be valid everywhere.

But with many states complaining about delays in the reports, as long as 10 days in Delhi, how will this Zoning help?

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/coro...rnment-2220009

Similarly, there is no News about the testing kits. One of my knowns had tried to Import from Korea but the manufacturer insisted on special Air Freight as a prerequisite (5 Days transportation - Door to Door Dry Iced Packing) wonder if the delay in the transportation/ handling of Chinese kits is the reason for abnormal results?
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 08:22   #1271
Distinguished - BHPian

This is just my personal assessment, might seem controversial to some, but allow me to state it.

6 months from now or maybe as early as 4 months from now as a nation we will be debating as to whether a national lockdown of 6 weeks was the right remedy for a super contagious but {at least in India} super mild illness whose fatality total would not even make it to the top ten fatal communicable diseases in India. It is my view, and take it as just the view of one man, that the so called experts over stated its fatality by a factor of 100X or something in that range forcing the Govt's hand. In this and the other Coronavirus thread I wrote in February & March that we are going into over reaction without understanding the context of number of ill people/dead people in a 1.35 billion population.

By September we will be vigorously debating the long term damage to lives, livelihood and the economy by this lockdown. Let's revisit this point on 31st October 2020.
V.Narayan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 09:54   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
It is my view, and take it as just the view of one man, that the so called experts over stated its fatality by a factor of 100X or something in that range forcing the Govt's hand.
Completely agree with you on this. In fact some of numbers through other diseases and calamities far supersede this. In a manner of speaking as long as we take precautions just like what we do for a simple flu, things should be alright. The below statement is not to be read in derogatory terms, but the medical fraternity will always be highly risk averse. It is their job. If you go and ask a doctor if you will be cured of hypertension, never will he/she say yes. Their answer would always be conservative. Its just how their professional response is. I have been stating this in the very few posts that i responded to that there is a dramatic hype that has been created. Govts are acting in a very knee jerk manner. Maybe its because it is a rich man's disease or should i say a jet setter disease. But bottom line is that we will look back and think whether all the hardship was worth it. The moment you open up (and you have to), the cases will increase before stabilizing. Whether we do it now or 3 months later the results are pretty much going to be the same.
So what gives
subraiyr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 10:00   #1273
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

We are now starting to see riots caused by disgruntled migrant workers.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/75433056.cms

It just a matter of time before it starts spreading to other areas of the country. The lockdown has brought everything down to a standstill that even if the government allows partial opening, it will take time to restart the supply chain and productively employ the people. Till then its going to be tough for them.
m8002? is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 10:39   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
We are now starting to see riots caused by disgruntled migrant workers.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/75433056.cms
This is something I had personally predicted a long while back. There is no question that migrant unrest will snowball into something much more visceral if lockdown extends beyond May 3. Till now, they are probably holding on after a lot of coaxing and persuasion, but if the closure stretches beyond a point, there are bound to be severe repercussions.
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 10:56   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
This is just my personal assessment, might seem controversial to some, but allow me to state it.

6 months from now or maybe as early as 4 months from now as a nation we will be debating as to whether a national lockdown of 6 weeks was the right remedy for a super contagious but {at least in India} super mild illness whose fatality total would not even make it to t.
I totally agree with you Sir. Initially, we were panic driven in the backdrop of the situation in Italy and that time strict lockdown was warranted. But after one month into this, there is a clear picture emerging from many populous metros in India from Mumbai, Pune to Bangalore, Delhi Chennai etc that most cases are asymptomatic. I am seeing an average of 7-8 Covid-19 positive patients everyday of which hardly one has just mild fever. Most of them run an uneventful course in hospital over 7-8 days. Some of my friends at other hospitals are also reporting the same.

It's about time we experiment with a new strategy. Government is only going by the numbers ( positive cases ) without any indepth analysis of the clinical profile of the patients. An entire big city like Pune is now declared as a containment zone because there was a spike in cases. All this high drama for an illness which is passing down as a simple flu in 80% of the patients. Being a Doctor, I may be totally wrong in proposing the easing down of lockdown at this point and this could be a dangerous move but unless we take any brave step any calculated risk, we will not understand the dynamics of this virus or atleast the strain we are dealing with in India. The real tests happen not in the lab but in real life. Life cannot be rendered meaningless like this with repeated lockdowns. Mankind has endured many deadly diseases before, this is a great insult to human ingenuity. Hope we get positive results from Sweden.
vivek95 is offline   (24) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks