Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2017, 03:31   #5386
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
the hard disk had no bubble wrap or extra protection around it. It was sitting on the bottom of the carton with an air packet above it and the dock on its left.
Didn't quite understand. Those air packets do the same job as bubble wrap, no? The HDD manufacturer's own packaging would have had the disk protected using thermocol cushions, right?

In a previous job I used to order hard drives direct from HP. They'd also simply stack disks without such bubble wrapping. Don't recall disks having any problems because of this.
Old 16th May 2017, 09:00   #5387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Purchased a 4TB internal hard disk for my NAS and a Hdd dock two days ago from Amazon. Was delivered today and was shocked to see that the hard disk had no bubble wrap or extra protection around it. It was sitting on the bottom of the carton with an air packet above it and the dock on its left. I am totally put off by this. Have run a SMART test on it and will return it if it reports any errors. I have until the 25th by which I can return it. I think the packing and shipping team are just temp staff with no experience whatsoever on how to care for fragile products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Didn't quite understand. Those air packets do the same job as bubble wrap, no? The HDD manufacturer's own packaging would have had the disk protected using thermocol cushions, right?

In a previous job I used to order hard drives direct from HP. They'd also simply stack disks without such bubble wrapping. Don't recall disks having any problems because of this.
I have noticed the same the large air packets they use to pack things doesn't do its job well in some cases. These large packets are not taped to the item and it moves often letting the item rest against the carton walls. So even if the item was sandwiched between these large air packets, in transit it shifts and the item ends up on the bottom or top or the sides of the carton.

The laptop HDD i bought from Amazon did not have a manufacturer packing box around it apart from a sealed static cover. This was wrapped up in a layer of bubble wrap and sent to me in amazon's plastic soft packing. They did not even send it in a carton. Fortunately no problems with the drive.

In my ex job while receiving individual disks from RMA centers directly (not through dealer) after warranty replacement i have noticed that they are always in a static cover and then placed in a box with form fitting packing which allows for zero movement of HDD while in transit. The manufacturers they don't resort to bubble wraps or loosely placed air bags while shipping even replacement drives.

We have also bought disks in bulk and these come in wrapped individually in static covers and then placed inside manufacturer's carton with moulded plastic/thermocol packing at the bottom with individual slots to hold each disk in, this is then capped at the top with a matching moulded form fitting piece. HDDs stay in the center of the box without ever shifting and not coming in contact with the sides of the carton.

if the HDD from a local vendor we can be sure that the individual HDD you're buying has not been tossed around like a piece with insufficient packing bought from an online store. The local retailer gets his HDD (unless its an exotic and one off ordered item) stock in cartons with sufficient packing all around.

Amazon sellers they also receive their HDD stock in such well padded manufacturer cartons and ship them out to individual buyers in their original static cover and then packed in some non-form fitting packing and packaging.
Old 16th May 2017, 09:42   #5388
BHPian

Quote:
there was no air packet below the hard disk case and was only above it. There was no thermocol either. Have attached pics of how it was packed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I have noticed the same the large air packets they use to pack things doesn't do its job well in some cases. These large packets are not taped to the item and it moves often letting the item rest against the carton walls. So even if the item was sandwiched between these large air packets, in transit it shifts and the item ends up on the bottom or top or the sides of the carton.
the hard disk was in a form fitting transparent plastic wrap but this does not seem to have adequate shock absorption capability. The pics are attached. Point is we are purchasing these for storing our critical information but if it were manhandled in transit it is bound to affect its expected lifespan
The outer carton had a dent and hole as well obviously from transit.

The last picture is from a purchase from Amazon US and it seems to have protection against movement and impact.
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-1494907641140.jpg  

The Online Shopping Thread-1494907659502.jpg  

The Online Shopping Thread-1494907677212.jpg  

The Online Shopping Thread-1494907691582.jpg  

Old 16th May 2017, 09:59   #5389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there was no air packet below the hard disk case and was only above it. There was no thermocol either. Have attached pics of how it was packed.
the hard disk was in a form fitting transparent plastic wrap but this does not seem to have adequate shock absorption capability.
The air packet, unless secured to the item like a bubble wrap is done, is useless in most cases.

What is that hard disk packing shell doing next to the dock's carton? Was there a HDD inside it? If yes it shouldn't have been sent like that either loosely put inside the carton. That shell should in turn go inside a form fitting case. That plastic shell is a replacement for the static cover only. Some HDDs ship in this static safe clamshell such as in this case instead of the static cover.

Quote:
The last picture is from a purchase from Amazon US and it seems to have protection against movement and impact.
This is how replacement drives from RMA centers ship the drive after warranty replacement even in India.

Last edited by Sankar : 16th May 2017 at 10:02.
Old 16th May 2017, 10:07   #5390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
That shell should in turn go inside a form fitting case.
Exactly my beef. The HDD was in a static cover and that was inside the clamshell you see in the picture, which was loose in the box. The air packet may have been punctured and lost its protection capability. There should have been a bubble wrap around the clamshell case and like you said shouldnt have had space to move around. I have seen 2 meters of bubble wrap for tempered glass costing <200Rs and here we have a 9400 Rs HDD with no bubble wrap and poor protection and packaging.
Old 16th May 2017, 10:29   #5391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is Quantum Zero as a brand? I have their Qualcomm 3.0 wall charger. Seems good so far. I had not heard of this brand before. Just came cross their product in Amazon and thought of giving it a try.
Old 16th May 2017, 10:33   #5392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I had not heard of this brand before. Just came cross their product in Amazon and thought of giving it a try.
Same here, the hdd bay seems well made and priced pretty decently. So thought would try it out. Have 4 hard disks but only a 2 disk NAS, which is why I wanted a USB dock.
Old 16th May 2017, 17:35   #5393
nmo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
It is not in Kolkata. Its in your local post office. Hence, go and collect the parcel from there. The last section where it indicates Kolkata airport sorting office is nothing but a default 'Next destination' field which is always the port of entry of that parcel. They have attempted delivery multiple times from 8/5/2017 but hasnt happened. Hence, it is being held in your post office.
Thanks, Mate. Wonder why that is the situation as I have given my office address and there are no accessibility issues. I have seen a postman come to my office to deliver speed posts.
Old 16th May 2017, 18:46   #5394
BHPian

Here's my situation of an a average review to a poorly packaged product on Amazon. They have rejected it.

Last edited by diyguy : 16th May 2017 at 18:58.
Old 19th May 2017, 08:57   #5395
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Does anyone have any experience with ubuy.co.in? Are they reliable?
Old 19th May 2017, 09:08   #5396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's my situation of an a average review to a poorly packaged product on Amazon. They have rejected it.
Can we please move on? The link in that page (http://amazon.in/review-guidelines) clearly says that:

"Feedback about the third-party seller, your shipment experience, or packaging is not a product review and should be shared at www.amazon.in/packaging".

That is where you need to submit your feedback. Please use that link and THEN complain if they reject it.
Old 19th May 2017, 09:38   #5397
BHPian

Quote:
Can we please move on?
"Feedback about the third-party seller, your shipment experience, or packaging is not a product review and should be shared at www.amazon.in/packaging".
how are other people to know that the item they going to receive is probably going to arrive in poor shape? Is packaging review going to be visible to the Purchasing community?
Old 19th May 2017, 09:44   #5398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can we please move on? The link in that page (http://amazon.in/review-guidelines) clearly says that:

That is where you need to submit your feedback. Please use that link and THEN complain if they reject it.
We get it, that there is some obscure page that you're aware of. The point some of us are trying to make is, if the product is not what it is and delivered in a way that might damage it, other people shouldn't make the mistake of ordering it.

If you get a product that is nothing like what is shown on the website then the product review-which is the most prominent part not filled in by the seller or the portal is where people will complain. The complaints achieve nothing, that's why people put their experiences(atleast try to) in the product review. Great packaging isn't too much to ask, it's the only way it should be done.

If a car dealer polishes off a test drive vehicle as new, its a fraud, should we appreciate the dealership for skillful packaging? Most of would say avoid the place and by extension the product.
Old 19th May 2017, 09:47   #5399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how are other people to know that the item they going to receive is probably going to arrive in poor shape? Is packaging review going to be visible to the Purchasing community?
Do you want to write a review of the packaging or make a complaint about the packaging? If you want to write a review then you need to review the seller for poor packaging (and not the product itself). It comes up in the seller page on Amazon and is visible to the whole community. This is all documented in the Amazon link I posted, linked from the reject message you have, in their orders page, in their documentation and I posted details with screenshots a couple of pages back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
We get it, that there is some obscure page that you're aware of. The point some of us are trying to make is, if the product is not what it is and delivered in a way that might damage it, other people shouldn't make the mistake of ordering it.
If you are ordering from Amazon, you will do very well if you look at the seller feedback (by others who ordered from the same seller). I do it diligently all the time. The seller feedback is the place where poor packaging, passing off a low quality product as a high quality one, selling counterfeits instead of the real one, taking orders and not shipping and all such seller-specific shenanigans turn up.

I personally do not order from sellers who are either very new (not enough feedback) or have seller feedback going below 95% (98% for things that cost more than 10K).

Product reviews are what I read (and often not just on Amazon) to determine if the product in question is appropriate for me. Seller reviews are for determining whether the seller is trustworthy or not.

And obscure page - come on. It is linked from everywhere. From the order details page, in emails they send to you, in their documentation etc. What more do you want them to do? Call you up every time you order something?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th May 2017 at 09:53. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Old 19th May 2017, 10:21   #5400
Team-BHP Support

Had ordered some stuff and i receive a message that item is undelivered and being returned. Reason given it was rejected by buyer?! Delivery person never came nor called me, checked with apartment watch man and he also confirmed the same. In fact another package from amazon was delivered the same day.

Have raised a complaint and the customer person said they would ask to delivery again, been 12 hours no change in online status.

Anything more to be done?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks