Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2020, 11:35   #2971

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Killing Eve S03 is out. But with the demise of Hooq, I don't see it on Disney-Hotstar. Does it exist anywhere on a streaming platform? The first two seasons had me hooqed!
Old 24th May 2020, 19:01   #2972
Senior - BHPian

It's on Apple TV. A very compelling story of a TV network involved in the #MeToo scandal. Resse Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston are terrific in their character roles. Even Steve Carell who we usually associate with comedies has turned a great serious performance. A must watch if you like Dramas. Especially the season Finale is one of the best I have seen. A solid 4.5/5 for this.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-screenshot_20200524185631_imdb.jpg  

Old 25th May 2020, 05:31   #2973
Distinguished - BHPian

A new series on Netflix from the makers of Ghoul - Betaal.

From whatever I have seen of it, seems to borrow ideas from Tumbaad, Avatar, GOT (Whitewalkers) + the usual zombie flicks etc. Plus from Ghoul itself - an army unit in a closed space, facing evil.

Production value seems high and looks slick. No recommendation yet, as I am yet to finish the 1st episode.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 25th May 2020 at 05:33.
Old 25th May 2020, 18:06   #2974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Paatal Lok: 5/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
Absolutely awesome writing, screenplay, acting and no funny ending twists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Paatal Lok = 5/5 stars. Superb series .
+1 to Paatal Lok. Great screenplay and writing backed by some solid acting. Focusing on the basics of storytelling always delivers! Would rate this higher than Mirzapur and Sacred Games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Apparently they started touring the local environment across the cities shown in the series back in 2017 to understand the fabric of the cultures involved in detail.
Kudos to your friend, who seems to have done a great job.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 18:31   #2975
BHPian

Normal People - Available on Hulu. Can be watched on Stremio.

IMDB Link - 8.7/10

My Rating - 8/10.

A melancholy trip worth taking, if only to remind of one's past teenage years and how vulnerable and emotionally-exhausting young-love CAN get.

It could never have come under my radar but was suggested on a subreddit I visit.
Really liked the vibes! Great chemistry amongst the actors! Reminded me of someone I had shut off in my head.

PS: NSFW scenes aplenty.
Old 26th May 2020, 21:42   #2976
Senior - BHPian

Started with Betaal on Netflix.

Poor story coupled with equally bad screenplay and indifferent acting. I regret having started to watch this. Just continuing for the sake of completing it. One consolation is that the number of episodes are less.

Also watched Pataal lok. One the better hindi series I would say if not the best. Makes for a compelling watch. Jaideep Ahlawat is the show stopper.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 21:45   #2977
Distinguished - BHPian

Upload on Prime is recommended for light watching paired with straight story line.
Right now just one season, but I'm sure there's another one in the pipeline
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 10:38   #2978
Senior - BHPian

वैसे ये सब तो शास्त्रों में लिखा है पर मैना WhatsApp पर पढ़ा है।।

A power performance from Jaideep Ahlawat in Prime"s Patallok.
PatalLok is a stunning achievement on virtually every level. A Neo-noir attempt in the series that too with Indian background made wonders. It is a binge-worthy series. It's not possible to watch it in instalment. Hathiram Chaudhary is one crazy cop, he will not let you go that easily. Some words like "outer Jamana Par" or "Need to know basis" or "Masterji" will keep echoing In your mind. The only regret that they wasted one of my favourite Gul Panag.

Good Job Anushka Sharma (as producer)
A must watch.....4/5

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-97136622_10158442791654042_4478329083477884928_n.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 11:41   #2979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
A new series on Netflix from the makers of Ghoul - Betaal.

From whatever I have seen of it, seems to borrow ideas from Tumbaad, Avatar, GOT (Whitewalkers) + the usual zombie flicks etc. Plus from Ghoul itself - an army unit in a closed space, facing evil.

Production value seems high and looks slick. No recommendation yet, as I am yet to finish the 1st episode.
Hi, I just finished watching this day before yesterday. The first episode starts off well and looks like there will be exciting times to come, but later the engine starts misfiring from the start of 2nd episode and after that it gets to state that even a rebuild can't save it.

You can watch/rewatch Ghoul again to see some amazing horror if you want, this one is totally avoid.

0/5 from me on this.
Old 27th May 2020, 15:11   #2980
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Saw a few series on Netlfix:-

Narcos - Brilliant depiction of the Colombian drug scene with Escobar (S1 & 2) & Cali Cartel (S3). Good acting & overall pace of the narrative is consistent in most parts. A must watch for people who like this genre.

Narcos: Mexico - Disappointing! A big letdown after Narcos. Story is just not gripping enough. Strictly average watch. Not sure if El Chapo is worth a watch after watching these 2 series.

She - An undercover assignment to expose a drug ring by a Mumbai constable. Did not have much expectations being an Indian series. Had potential & the makers try to buildup something but its neither a thriller nor interesting enough to keep you hooked! Probably needed more of Vijay Verma who puts in a good performance.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 10:36   #2981
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I strongly recommend Special Ops if you like action + crime thrillers. Superb series on Hot Star with a very engaging story. No surprise it's by Neeraj Pandey who has also made movies like A Wednesday, Special 26 & MS Dhoni.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 10:54   #2982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Saw a few series on Netlfix:-

Narcos - Brilliant depiction of the Colombian drug scene with Escobar (S1 & 2) & Cali Cartel (S3). Good acting & overall pace of the narrative is consistent in most parts. A must watch for people who like this genre.

Narcos: Mexico - Disappointing! A big letdown after Narcos. Story is just not gripping enough. Strictly average watch. Not sure if El Chapo is worth a watch after watching these 2 series.
Watch El Chapo too.
There is a reference made in Narcos Mexico. Thats a brilliant one, comparable to Narcos.
Old 28th May 2020, 11:37   #2983
BHPian

I have just finished watching all the seasons of Ozark on Netflix India.
There is finance, financial advisor, drugs, cartels, crime, and FBI. An old wine (Breaking Bad) in a new bottle!
The pacing is slow. Every season, it starts off at a lethargic pace and then gathers steam towards the end.
Apart from that, I don't have much to complain about. The backdrop is scenic, the music is not overdone, the characters are well made and since it takes longer to build the characters, I'm emotionally invested into them.

A good watch if you are a fan of Breaking Bad genre. I would rate them 8 out of 10.
7000plusrpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 14:22   #2984
Team-BHP Support

My personal opinion on series that are popular or which I have liked - listed in no particular order. Obvious names are up front but list widens later. Some oldies that I re-watched recently are also listed - just because they're fresh in my mind. In movies, I highly recommend Tumbbad - an outstanding film shot amazingly well too.

1. Special Ops: (4/5)
2. Ghoul (4.5/5)
3. Leila (3.5/5)
4. Paatal Lok (5/5)
5. Mirzapur (3.5/5)
6. Made in Heaven (4.5/5)
7. Betaal (2.5/5)
8. Money Heist (3/5) - massively overrated IMO
9. Panchayat (4/5) - bit slow I felt but I guess intended to be so.
10. Modern Love (5/5)
11. You (4.5/5)
12. Sacred Games (5/5)
13. Black Mirror (5/5)
14. The Fall (4/5)
15. Sex Education (5/5)
16. Narcos (4.5/5) - but only the pablo seasons. Mexico I didn't like.
17. Perfume (4/5)
18. Coupling (4.5/5) - last season drops a bit but otherwise - brilliant
19. Sherlock (5/5)
20. Yes Minister (5/5)

On a side note, I watched several episodes of Shriman Shrimati on youtube over the course of the lockdown. Its still super funny.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 22:20   #2985
Senior - BHPian

Paatal Lok: 5/5

Wow, what a refreshing series - showing the underbelly of crime with all the trimmings - caste violence, politics, media bias, gender violence, Islamaphobia, lower class struggles, naxal struggles, sexism and middle-class problems. Did I leave anything out?

What I liked most of all was that the series touched upon all this without dwelling on any of it - it was all locked up in the series. And that not once did you think - "I know how the rest of this series is going to pan out"

I thought Jaideep Ahlawat played the role really well! I would put his performance way up there with Tony Dalton in S5 of Better Call Saul.
naveenroy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks