Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2020, 15:31   #3031
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 84
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

I have just finished watching Mindhunter on Netflix. It's a David Fincher show and that's what attracted me to this.
It shows the humble beginning of the department of behavioral science in the FBI. And it gives a good psychological insight into some of the weird criminal's minds.

Some of the personal affairs of the main characters seem a little forced and do not really contribute much to the story. Also, it starts off slowly. However, it picks up the pace and ends up being one of the best shows on Netflix.

Worth a watch if you are patient with the slow beginning and into the psychology and serial killers.

I would rate it 8/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Yeh Meri Family on Netflix. 4/5
Thanks for the recommendation. This brings back some good memories.
7000plusrpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 21:02   #3032
Senior - BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,473
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Fargo, the TV series, watched season 2 over the last 2 weekends and I must say season 2 was way better than season 1. In fact, the backdrop remains the same as in season 1 and even the movie. And I found season 2 to be much faster, may be also less quirky than season 1 and it worked to a great extent.

Would definitely give it a 4/5. Im told season 2 is probably the best of the whole lot in this series, so glad I caught this.
motorworks is online now  
Old 17th June 2020, 14:26   #3033
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,278
Thanked: 2,933 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Enjoyed watching 'House of Cards' on Netflix. A political thriller based on a Politician & the White House. Brilliant acting by the cast & a good plot. Agree with most of you about Season 6 being a complete letdown! Makers should have avoided it altogether.
PPS is offline  
Old 17th June 2020, 15:21   #3034
Senior - BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,012
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Ive started watching Modern Family. A good light comedy show around 3 related families. Have reached season 6.
I watched Paataal Lok after all the recommendations here and outside. Found it too violent for my liking. Some of the scenes were too blatant and depressing and could have been excluded.
I found Special Ops and Family Man way better.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 08:49   #3035
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 58,956
Thanked: 177,788 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Were you thinking of watching Sushmita Sen's much hyped Aarya on Hotstar? Please don't. The family watched it last night & we got royally bored. Total waste of 1.5 hours. Weary performances from tired actors and a confused story line.

Rating 1 / 5 stars. Most news websites have given it 2.5 / 5 stars which is being quite generous.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:04   #3036
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,410
Thanked: 918 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Were you thinking of watching Sushmita Sen's much hyped Aarya on Hotstar? Please don't. The family watched it last night & we got royally bored. Total waste of 1.5 hours. Weary performances from tired actors and a confused story line.

Rating 1 / 5 stars. Most news websites have given it 2.5 / 5 stars which is being quite generous.
Your warning came little late. I am a victim now
nitinralli is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:30   #3037
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Jalandhar
Posts: 150
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Were you thinking of watching Sushmita Sen's much hyped Aarya on Hotstar? Please don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Your warning came little late. I am a victim now
I may be in the minority here but i actually quite liked it. I found it very well paced and engaging. I would say time well spent.
Although there are few expletives and a few kissing scenes however when compared to the latest "CULT" shows, they are too few and too far in between which was again a breath of fresh air. My rating would be 4.5/5 (Could have been a bit more tightly edited and over all length reduced by one episode but then again nothing is perfect).
roamer012 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 17:24   #3038
Senior - BHPian
 
Stratos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Brussels
Posts: 2,596
Thanked: 1,295 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Have been watching "Smoke" on Eros, which I find quite entertaining. Story revolves around drug business in Goa.

Some other shows I would recommend:

- Criminal Justice on Hotstar

- Asur (Woot?!), although the last couple of episodes were very poor

- Panchaayat on Amazon

- Bhaukaal (MX Player), quite an underrated show to be honest. I liked it.
Stratos is offline  
Old 22nd June 2020, 20:40   #3039
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,278
Thanked: 2,933 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Watched 'Better Call Saul' on Netflix. First 2 seasons are utterly disappointing. Pace is lethargic, due to setting up the characters. Entire starcast have put in a stellar performances though. Things get marginally better in Season 3 & 4, but never really very engaging. Season 5 was the best of the lot. Overall, found it inconsistent with its pacing.

Also watched 'Yeh Meri Family' on Netflix. After watching all those grim & dark crime shoes, this is like a breath of fresh air which will make you feel nostalgic if you grew up in the 90's. Good watch.
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 21:36   #3040
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,440
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Watched 'Better Call Saul' on Netflix. First 2 seasons are utterly disappointing. Pace is lethargic, due to setting up the characters. Entire starcast have put in a stellar performances though. Things get marginally better in Season 3 & 4, but never really very engaging. Season 5 was the best of the lot. Overall, found it inconsistent with its pacing.

Also watched 'Yeh Meri Family' on Netflix. After watching all those grim & dark crime shoes, this is like a breath of fresh air which will make you feel nostalgic if you grew up in the 90's. Good watch.
I hope you have seen Breaking Bad as Better Call Saul is a prequel to that. I loved BCS maybe cos there are many characters from breaking bad and I was able to relate quite well to the storyline. Yes, it's a slow burner and not everyone's cup of tea.

Highly recommend Yeh Meri Family to everyone. It's such a lovely clean family show. Hopefully season 2 comes out soon.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 22:27   #3041
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,510
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Watched 'Better Call Saul' on Netflix. First 2 seasons are utterly disappointing. Pace is lethargic, due to setting up the characters. Entire starcast have put in a stellar performances though. Things get marginally better in Season 3 & 4, but never really very engaging. Season 5 was the best of the lot. Overall, found it inconsistent with its pacing.
Hope you've watched Breaking Bad.

Yeah I love BCS only because I could relate to the characters from Breaking Bad. I agree that the pace is a little slow in BCS but man, S5 was a killer! Can't wait for the last season with appearances from WW and Pinkman.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:16   #3042
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,278
Thanked: 2,933 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I hope you have seen Breaking Bad as Better Call Saul is a prequel to that. I loved BCS maybe cos
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hope you've watched Breaking Bad. Yeah I love BCS only because I could relate to the characters from Breaking Bad. I agree that the pace is a little slow in BCS but man, S5 was a killer!
Offcourse, I've seen Breaking Bad. Its the ultimate show, the best I've seen on Netflix so far. Perhaps my expectations with Better Call Saul were too high! Hoping Season 6 is a killer. Btw, how is El Camino ?
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:34   #3043
BHPian
 
kap04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
I may be in the minority here but i actually quite liked it. I found it very well paced and engaging. I would say time well spent.
Although there are few expletives and a few kissing scenes however when compared to the latest "CULT" shows, they are too few and too far in between which was again a breath of fresh air. My rating would be 4.5/5 (Could have been a bit more tightly edited and over all length reduced by one episode but then again nothing is perfect).
Apparently I also liked "Aarya". It's a bit slow but enjoyable .There is an indication of a season 2 from the way the show ended.
kap04 is offline  
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:16   #3044
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,440
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Offcourse, I've seen Breaking Bad. Its the ultimate show, the best I've seen on Netflix so far. Perhaps my expectations with Better Call Saul were too high! Hoping Season 6 is a killer. Btw, how is El Camino ?
I get it. I was also disappointed a bit by BCS in initial seasons as my expectations was on breaking bad level. However, I think they have made for it in season 5 and now it has turned up as a fantastic show.
Saw 15 minutes of EL Camino when it was released and didn't feel it. Was thinking of picking it up again to watch
If you do then let us know if its worth it.

Finished 7th season of Strike Back and now on 8th season. It's a mindless action series with a passable story line for each season. Lots of fun if you like non stop gun action.
If anyone plans to watch it then please skip Season 1 and start from Season 2. Season 1 is completely unrelated and production house was changed in season 2 so show got completely revamped.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 16:03   #3045
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,440
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quiz
Highly recommended. It's only a 3 episode mini series. It's based on true events which involves the popular show 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' and how someone who won the jackpot was accused of cheating it.
Rating - 8.5/10
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks