Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2020, 15:31   #3031
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

I have just finished watching Mindhunter on Netflix. It's a David Fincher show and that's what attracted me to this.
It shows the humble beginning of the department of behavioral science in the FBI. And it gives a good psychological insight into some of the weird criminal's minds.

Some of the personal affairs of the main characters seem a little forced and do not really contribute much to the story. Also, it starts off slowly. However, it picks up the pace and ends up being one of the best shows on Netflix.

Worth a watch if you are patient with the slow beginning and into the psychology and serial killers.

I would rate it 8/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Yeh Meri Family on Netflix. 4/5
Thanks for the recommendation. This brings back some good memories.
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 21:02   #3032
Senior - BHPian

Fargo, the TV series, watched season 2 over the last 2 weekends and I must say season 2 was way better than season 1. In fact, the backdrop remains the same as in season 1 and even the movie. And I found season 2 to be much faster, may be also less quirky than season 1 and it worked to a great extent.

Would definitely give it a 4/5. Im told season 2 is probably the best of the whole lot in this series, so glad I caught this.
Old 17th June 2020, 14:26   #3033
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Enjoyed watching 'House of Cards' on Netflix. A political thriller based on a Politician & the White House. Brilliant acting by the cast & a good plot. Agree with most of you about Season 6 being a complete letdown! Makers should have avoided it altogether.
Old 17th June 2020, 15:21   #3034
Senior - BHPian

Ive started watching Modern Family. A good light comedy show around 3 related families. Have reached season 6.
I watched Paataal Lok after all the recommendations here and outside. Found it too violent for my liking. Some of the scenes were too blatant and depressing and could have been excluded.
I found Special Ops and Family Man way better.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 08:49   #3035
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Were you thinking of watching Sushmita Sen's much hyped Aarya on Hotstar? Please don't. The family watched it last night & we got royally bored. Total waste of 1.5 hours. Weary performances from tired actors and a confused story line.

Rating 1 / 5 stars. Most news websites have given it 2.5 / 5 stars which is being quite generous.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:04   #3036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Were you thinking of watching Sushmita Sen's much hyped Aarya on Hotstar? Please don't. The family watched it last night & we got royally bored. Total waste of 1.5 hours. Weary performances from tired actors and a confused story line.

Rating 1 / 5 stars. Most news websites have given it 2.5 / 5 stars which is being quite generous.
Your warning came little late. I am a victim now
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:30   #3037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Were you thinking of watching Sushmita Sen's much hyped Aarya on Hotstar? Please don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Your warning came little late. I am a victim now
I may be in the minority here but i actually quite liked it. I found it very well paced and engaging. I would say time well spent.
Although there are few expletives and a few kissing scenes however when compared to the latest "CULT" shows, they are too few and too far in between which was again a breath of fresh air. My rating would be 4.5/5 (Could have been a bit more tightly edited and over all length reduced by one episode but then again nothing is perfect).
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 17:24   #3038
Senior - BHPian

Have been watching "Smoke" on Eros, which I find quite entertaining. Story revolves around drug business in Goa.

Some other shows I would recommend:

- Criminal Justice on Hotstar

- Asur (Woot?!), although the last couple of episodes were very poor

- Panchaayat on Amazon

- Bhaukaal (MX Player), quite an underrated show to be honest. I liked it.
Old 22nd June 2020, 20:40   #3039
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'Better Call Saul' on Netflix. First 2 seasons are utterly disappointing. Pace is lethargic, due to setting up the characters. Entire starcast have put in a stellar performances though. Things get marginally better in Season 3 & 4, but never really very engaging. Season 5 was the best of the lot. Overall, found it inconsistent with its pacing.

Also watched 'Yeh Meri Family' on Netflix. After watching all those grim & dark crime shoes, this is like a breath of fresh air which will make you feel nostalgic if you grew up in the 90's. Good watch.
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 21:36   #3040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Watched 'Better Call Saul' on Netflix. First 2 seasons are utterly disappointing. Pace is lethargic, due to setting up the characters. Entire starcast have put in a stellar performances though. Things get marginally better in Season 3 & 4, but never really very engaging. Season 5 was the best of the lot. Overall, found it inconsistent with its pacing.

Also watched 'Yeh Meri Family' on Netflix. After watching all those grim & dark crime shoes, this is like a breath of fresh air which will make you feel nostalgic if you grew up in the 90's. Good watch.
I hope you have seen Breaking Bad as Better Call Saul is a prequel to that. I loved BCS maybe cos there are many characters from breaking bad and I was able to relate quite well to the storyline. Yes, it's a slow burner and not everyone's cup of tea.

Highly recommend Yeh Meri Family to everyone. It's such a lovely clean family show. Hopefully season 2 comes out soon.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 22:27   #3041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope you've watched Breaking Bad.

Yeah I love BCS only because I could relate to the characters from Breaking Bad. I agree that the pace is a little slow in BCS but man, S5 was a killer! Can't wait for the last season with appearances from WW and Pinkman.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:16   #3042
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I hope you have seen Breaking Bad as Better Call Saul is a prequel to that. I loved BCS maybe cos
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hope you've watched Breaking Bad. Yeah I love BCS only because I could relate to the characters from Breaking Bad. I agree that the pace is a little slow in BCS but man, S5 was a killer!
Offcourse, I've seen Breaking Bad. Its the ultimate show, the best I've seen on Netflix so far. Perhaps my expectations with Better Call Saul were too high! Hoping Season 6 is a killer. Btw, how is El Camino ?
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:34   #3043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
I may be in the minority here but i actually quite liked it. I found it very well paced and engaging. I would say time well spent.
Although there are few expletives and a few kissing scenes however when compared to the latest "CULT" shows, they are too few and too far in between which was again a breath of fresh air. My rating would be 4.5/5 (Could have been a bit more tightly edited and over all length reduced by one episode but then again nothing is perfect).
Apparently I also liked "Aarya". It's a bit slow but enjoyable .There is an indication of a season 2 from the way the show ended.
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:16   #3044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Offcourse, I've seen Breaking Bad. Its the ultimate show, the best I've seen on Netflix so far. Perhaps my expectations with Better Call Saul were too high! Hoping Season 6 is a killer. Btw, how is El Camino ?
I get it. I was also disappointed a bit by BCS in initial seasons as my expectations was on breaking bad level. However, I think they have made for it in season 5 and now it has turned up as a fantastic show.
Saw 15 minutes of EL Camino when it was released and didn't feel it. Was thinking of picking it up again to watch
If you do then let us know if its worth it.

Finished 7th season of Strike Back and now on 8th season. It's a mindless action series with a passable story line for each season. Lots of fun if you like non stop gun action.
If anyone plans to watch it then please skip Season 1 and start from Season 2. Season 1 is completely unrelated and production house was changed in season 2 so show got completely revamped.
Old 23rd June 2020, 16:03   #3045
Senior - BHPian

Quiz
Highly recommended. It's only a 3 episode mini series. It's based on true events which involves the popular show 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' and how someone who won the jackpot was accused of cheating it.
Rating - 8.5/10

Most Viewed