Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2021, 22:24   #3781
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

I watched the first and bits of the second episode of Family Man season 2 and I feel so far the storyline is a little labored. Hopefully the show picks up in the upcoming episodes.
Old 7th June 2021, 00:37   #3782
Senior - BHPian

Just finished binge watching Family Man-2 over the weekend. Excellent. One of the rare series’ which hasn’t lost the awesomeness in 2nd instalment. Manoj bajpai as always is right on the money and everyone else in the team did a great job. Am happy they stuck to local language(tamil) and didn’t try stereotyped hindi(like in movies). Only issue I have was excessive usage of cuss words. Couldn’t watch around parents

Rating 4/5

Looks like the next instalment would be around calcutta and north eastern regions (Nagaland).

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th June 2021 at 00:42.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 09:38   #3783
BHPian

Finished watching Family Man 2 and I must say I am disappointed. The acting across the board from all actors was top notch and comic scenes were hilarious!

But for me, the central plot was a huge let down from the over-reliance on the most blatant form of deus-ex-machina I've seen - Chellam Sir! I was really surprised that the creators of the show who had crafted the first season so well, couldn't figure out clever ways to solve the plot problems and resorted to 'phone-a-friend' every time the protagonist was stuck!

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-screenshot_20210606125229_twitter.jpg
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 15:38   #3784
Senior - BHPian

I finally stopped watching the Handmaid's tale few episodes into season 3. The narrative had become very slow in Season 2 itself and it was actually taking a lot of effort to not get bored. However, we continued as the premise is interesting, the cinematography amazing and there are a few goosebumps' moments. But, it has become too much of a pain now, the pace is almost close to Zero, flashbacks, unnecessary expressions and melodrama in what should be thrilling moments have totally ruined it. It goes to the long list of TV series which we started but couldn't finish. May be we are getting too finicky or something wrong with the quality of the content. I had recommended it earlier but would like to change my recommendation.

ALso watched TVF aspirants. It is a pretty good show but does not live up to the hype but still recommended (7/10). I feel TVF pitchers is a much better web series though it did not get this much attention but would whole heartedly recommend it (Rating - 9/10).

Started watching Family Man S2, just watched 1 episode. So, too early to comment. But, I am very much looking forward to it as I loved the S1 and Manoj Vajpayee is just a joy to watch on the screen.

Last edited by adimicra : 7th June 2021 at 15:39.
Old 8th June 2021, 20:21   #3785
Team-BHP Support

Season 3 of The Kominsky Method is here.

A nice, light hearted comedy, with Michael Douglas, Alan Arkin and Sarah Baker in lead.

4.5/5
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 17:56   #3786
Senior - BHPian

Watched Family Man 2 and loved it. I found it as good as Season 1 if not better. I normally can't sit and watch 1st and/or 2nd episode in one go but this one is different. Completed all episode in two days. Excellent performance by all lead actors. I will give it 4.5 stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
the central plot was a huge let down from the over-reliance on the most blatant form of deus-ex-machina I've seen - Chellam Sir!
True.

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-fm2.jpeg
mukeshgoel is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 22:53   #3787
Senior - BHPian

Home before Dark

Another good one from Apple TV+
Nice little mystery story with solid acting and screenplay all around.
Season 2 is also gonna air this Friday.
Will rate it a solid 8/10

Also saw the trailer of Ray on Netflix. It's based on stories of Satyajit ray with a stellar star cast. Will be airing on 25th June.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 22:50   #3788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Finished watching Family Man 2 and I must say I am disappointed. The acting across the board from all actors was top notch and comic scenes were hilarious!

But for me, the central plot was a huge let down from the over-reliance on the most blatant form of deus-ex-machina I've seen - Chellam Sir!
I finished Family Man season 2 and I fully agree with this. In addition to the poor execution of the central plot, the sub-plots were pretty weak too. Overall a rather disappointing experience.
pandey.jai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 09:52   #3789
BHPian

Watched Family Man - 2 and felt was a let down compared to season 1. Would rate 3/5.

Though the plot proceeds at fairly rapid pace, some scenes lacked the intensity expected out of them. Though the family side masala dilutes the plot, the humor is commendable.

Raji's role is magnificent. Right from the word go, Samantha has given terrific performance. Appears as if she carried the entire season 2 on her shoulders. Whether is was vengeance filled looks, the display of martial art skills, cold stares, the helplessness of a exploited worker - the acting is top notch. JK as usual was at his best.

Waiting for Season 3

Last edited by AltoLXI : 13th June 2021 at 09:54.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 19:51   #3790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Undekhi is awesome! Thanks for the recommendation. Was screening through this thread for hindi shows which my family loves. Would strongly recommend Undekhi to BHPians who like crime & drama. Only for adults though, there is an unbelievable level of filthy language here.

Rating a solid 4.5 / 5 stars to the show and 0 / 5 stars to Sony LIV's terrible Fire Stick app.
Thank you for this fab reco. What a series! We all were hooked onto this series and sort of binged watched this.

The language aside, this is a great recommendation for crime, drama lovers.

I am guessing there is also a S2 in the making.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 21:55   #3791
BHPian

Family Man 2 - Just as fabulous as the first season

Giving it 4/5.

If not for some silly slips or mistakes in the story or logic at places, I would have given it 5/5.

But the execution is just awesome here.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 22:29   #3792
Distinguished - BHPian

Loki : Pretty Interesting

Surprised to not see a single mention of the currently running season 1 of Loki. It’s early days with only 2 episodes out but this is turning out to be a cracker of a show! Hiddleston with his fantastic personality and British wit is just getting into gear and already (IMO) this is turning out to be better than the other two TV series released by Marvel.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 11:41   #3793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post

Shetland - Wrapped up all 3 seasons and I would rate it 4/5 for the location,
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
In that case you should check out Big Little Lies as well - another David E Kelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
{Maharani} An okay watch - will give it a 3 / 5 star rating. .
Thanks to recommendations here, I've watched all of the above.
Shetland - On season 2. Quite enjoyable 4/5
Big little lies 3/5, gave up on season 2. My wife liked it though.
Maharani 4/5 - Entertaining and fast paced political drama, without any sex - may be I should give it 3/5 for being unrealistic!

Currently watching Greenleaf - I would give it 4/5 for great acting and drama. Imdb rating 7.4/10

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4971144/

Quote:
Greenleaf premiered in June 2016 on the OWN Network. Created by Craig Wright, the series follows the return of Grace Greenleaf (Merele Dandridge) who returns to her southern hometown after the suicide of her younger sister. The family operates a megachurch in Tennessee, with everyone having pivotal roles in the church. Grace’s return is not met with much excitement as she makes it her mission to unveil family secrets and corruption.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-screenshot_20210617113920_imdb.jpg  

mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 12:14   #3794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Loki : Pretty Interesting

Surprised to not see a single mention of the currently running season 1 of Loki. It's early days with only 2 episodes out but this is turning out to be a cracker of a show! Hiddleston with his fantastic personality and British wit is just getting into gear and already (IMO) this is turning out to be better than the other two TV series released by Marvel.
Agree. Happened to watch yesterday night. Has taken the interest level high with well done and tight screenplay. Now eagerly waiting for the next episodes. Will see if I can steal the future episodes in a single lot from TVA.
Old 17th June 2021, 14:29   #3795
Team-BHP Support

A Very English Scandal: Amazon Prime

4.5 / 5

3 episode series. I’ve seen one episode and it’s absolutely outstanding. Stars Hugh Grant in the lead and based on a true story of the Jeremy Thorpe scandal in the 1970s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Ve...dal_(TV_series)

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th June 2021 at 14:31.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed