Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2021, 16:22   #3691
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Very late to the party.

Stranger Things (1,2 & 3) 4.5/5

Most of you all must have watched it already.
- Brilliant concept
- Great actors (Dustin is my personal fav)
- Great background score
- Not just a sci fi series but shows Human emotions as well (include some good humour too)
- Gripping and entertaining

The entire series is exciting, heartbreaking, and sometimes scary.
Stranger Things acts as an addictive homage to vintage 1980s television. Dark, creepy, and sublimely intriguing, this 1980s throwback will remind you of many a vintage-era sci-fi/horror movie, in the most pleasant way imaginable. The cast is clad in dated '80s wear, phones are firmly attached to cords, and kids are free enough to race around on their bicycles, looking for clues. Most 80-90's generation would connect to this. How I wish there were many such stories to watch and experience.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 16th May 2021 at 16:23.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 17:37   #3692
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched a newly released series "the last hour" on Amazon Prime. Quite liked the story and decent acting by Sanjay Kapoor - would rate it 4/5
Worth a watch.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 17:56   #3693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Any suggestion for series for 10 year old boys?

Also any suggestion for travel shows which kids too can enjoy?

I have Prime and Hotstar. But don't mind subscribing to something else the suggestions are good.
Currently, I’m watching Small Wonder on YouTube with my 12 year old daughter. Previously saw The Addams Family (black & white series) too on YouTube but she lost interest in it midway. You may give it a try.

Last year, saw Woh on Zee5, which was based on the book It. Since it’s an old ZeeTV series, I think you can view it without subscription as well.

Have also found the series Chamatkaar (Farooque Sheikh one) on Sony Liv. Will start it after Small Wonder.
ScorpioYadav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 18:30   #3694
Distinguished - BHPian

For fans of the crown, there's another series on Sony liv, Victoria. About you know who.
As grand, and quite recent too.
While Crown was kept quite factual, due to very recorded history, this takes some creative freedom, but is still very much watchable.
Old 16th May 2021, 18:36   #3695
BHPian

Anyone who enjoys food and travel both, please give Somebody Feeds Phil a watch. Available on Netflix, the host, Phil Rosenthal, creator of Everybody Loves Raymond, goes to various cities to try their food and culture. Light hearted and visually very nice. Solid 8/10
aarnav_b is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 22:32   #3696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Line of duty
So glad to see some love for Line of Duty here - I think it's only becoming vaguely apparent abroad what a cultural icon this show has become in the UK. Forget cult classic, the latest season broke all sorts of viewing numbers in the UK for a TV drama. I will admit the season finale itself felt a bit of a damp squib compared to the usually intense endings. All I can say, is if you can get past the admittedly budget look of the early seasons, and for many the accents (you'll likely need subtitles if not for the accents but for the acronyms), you won't find a recent show with well executed tense plot twists and turns than Line of Duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Finished watching People Vs O.J. Simpson on Netflix.
People always mistake this for the Oscar winning OJ Made in America. If you can spare the time (and believe me it's long) but I thoroughly recommend OJ Made in America - it's a stunning documentary piece that covers so much ground: civil rights; Rodney King and the LA riots; the sporting aspect (for the few NFL fans); the advertising and cultural phenomenon of The Juice; how white America treated OJ and how in the climactic case we saw a reckoning for the country with the infamous jury decision. I'm not sure what it's available on in India (but seeing it on the Star portion of Disney+ here in the UK makes me think it might be available on Hotstar in India?). If you're willing to play around with a VPN it's also available on iPlayer on the BBC under Storyville.

ads11 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 23:58   #3697
BHPian

Quote:

I have Prime and Hotstar. But don't mind subscribing to something else the suggestions are good.

I'd rather not let young children get hooked on series' that are binge-watchable.
If you are talking about cartoons, I'd avoid the useless stuff like Chottabheam etc, and stick to older Cartoons like Ben10, Transformers (Almost all Transforers series are nice)etc. or maybe some old Anime that doesn't have much gore..

Last edited by ZenMaster : 17th May 2021 at 00:01.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 00:36   #3698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Watched a newly released series "the last hour" on Amazon Prime. Quite liked the story and decent acting by Sanjay Kapoor - would rate it 4/5
Worth a watch.
Saw it today after hearing good reviews.
Wife and me both were disappointed. Story was quite good no doubt but the execution especially in direction and pacing it was really lacking. it should have been at max 5 to 6 episodes and was unnecessarily stretched. Plus that absurd ending with no definite conclusions or explanations as if they are sure there will be a season 2. I hoped better.

Finished Pennyworth second season. It's a delight and Jack Bannon is killing it as Alfred Pennyworth. No relation to batman but good roles for Thomas and Martha Wayne. Also the 1960's era of London has been captured beautifully. Do try it if you like fast paced action thrillers.
Old 17th May 2021, 01:23   #3699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
"Fatma"

Started this brand new 6-episode Turkish series on Netflix and was completely engrossed with high quality of production, gripping story and a unique storyline

Story in gist is about a cleaning woman who goes on a killing rampage to find her missing husband and almost becomes like a serial killer due to circumstances she goes through

4/5
Finished watching. Nice gripping storyline and superb acting by the protagonist. Few parts including the ending was predictable. I also liked the intense background music.
Good one time watch.
3/5 for me.
ShankarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 01:44   #3700
BHPian

Quote:

Hey Rajesh,

You can try the Discovery + App. Its amazing and has content for all ages.
The annual membership is pretty low around INR 400 if I am not wrong.

Thanks,
Arindam_Nayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 06:56   #3701

I suggest Ozark terrific series, depicts how far a family goes to stay together and stay alive. Ozark is the true underdog. If Narcos is the drugs side story, Ozark is the post drugs - money side story. Money laundering at its best.
It has 3 seasons, 30 episodes with each episode of nearly an hour’s runtime. 4th season is in the pipeline.

My rating - 5/5

Another suggestion is The Queen’s Gambit a miniseries of 7 episodes depicts the struggles of an orphan turned chess player and her addiction issues. Set during the cold war era, with Soviet vs US backdrop in the field of Chess.

My rating 4.25/5

Finally, if you like the theme of a dystopian future, cutting edge technologies, then Black Mirror & Love, Death + Robots are the must watch shows.
The first one has 5 seasons with an hour long episodes. Each episode is like a movie in itself, has no connection with successive episodes. While the latter one is an anthology of 2 seasons, with each episode running for 15-18 minutes.

My rating 5/5

PS : All the shows are streaming on Netflix.
RoboCop13 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 09:52   #3702
BHPian

If anyone like Korean TV series, then I highly recommend 'Kingdom' on Netflix. It is pretty well made for a Zombie's based TV series.

Also check history based TV series with only 4 episode called 'Tokyo Trial' on Netflix
sunny29584 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 11:14   #3703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
I'd rather not let young children get hooked on series' that are binge-watchable.
If you are talking about cartoons, I'd avoid the useless stuff like Chottabheam etc, and stick to older Cartoons like Ben10, Transformers (Almost all Transforers series are nice)etc. or maybe some old Anime that doesn't have much gore..
Even I am not interested in Chota bheem types. There is a Lion King spin off from Disney - Lion Guard which they watched and enjoyed. Also a Kung Fu Panda spinoff (Paws of Destiny?) series in Prime. I am looking for such stuff. They are not drawn to action flicks like Transformers
Old 17th May 2021, 11:50   #3704
BHPian

A few more Korean shows:

1. Vincenzo: 4/5 - A funny crime thriller. Very easy to binge watch.
2. Stranger: 4.5/5 - A slow burn crime thriller. Quite grippy. This was my first Korean TV show, and had me totally hooked.
3. My Mister: 5/5 - Probably one of the best shows I've ever seen. Very layered and very nuanced show with so much soul. Beautifully written characters and character arcs. Slow burn drama.
pavanmadhini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 11:59   #3705
BHPian

Would highly recommend the thriller "The Women in the Window" on Netflix
Exceptional performances all around!!! 4/5

P.S. : The reviews say its nothing compared to the book, but hey! I have not read the book so

Last edited by InControl : 17th May 2021 at 12:00.
InControl is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks