Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2020, 20:03   #3136
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Watched 'El Chapo' on Netflix. Series revolves around notorious drug lord Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman. The show is engaging in most parts, tends to lose a bit of steam towards the fag end of Season 1. This show is reasonably good, just don't have sky high expectations like Narcos which has set the benchmark very high. Its certainly better than Narcos:Mexico.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 20:38   #3137
BHPian

Schitts Creek

A wealthy business family lose their entire fortune overnight after being cheated by their Business Manager.
All their assets are ceased and they are forced to move to a small rural town and restart their lives there.

It is a shocking lifestyle change for the couple and their 2 grown up kids who were only used to the life of luxury.

It is a subtle comedy around how they have to cope up with the folks in the town.
On Netflix

Would recommend 3.5 out of 5 ( might not be for everyone)

Last edited by Fillmore : 27th July 2020 at 20:42.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 21:22   #3138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, thanks a ton for the recommendation. Already wrapped up a season of "Billions" and am now officially addicted to it. Love Bobby Axe, the business, legal wrangling, all those strategic discussions - just brilliant!

Please do share any good business / strategy shows here. I've lined up "Succession" next.
Billions got me hooked. I am into Season 5 now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Succession has not been to my liking (I guess especially after watching Billions). Some how managed to finish Season 1 and will not see more of this.

An old series that I enjoyed is 'White Collar'
rakirank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 21:39   #3139
BHPian

Have been binging on Good Doctor ( Prime Video) recently. It is a remake of a Korean series by the same name.

Started this because I am a big fan of Grey's Anatomy which is on a break now, and found this to be as good with the right mix of Medicine and Drama.
Old 27th July 2020, 21:56   #3140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sarcastic at all. Equally, I might add, this isn't for everyone. Just watch it with an open mind.
Guess it isn't for me. I was dead bored during the first episode itself. Even my wife who likes such shows didn't enjoy it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
I would advice you to abandon Billions at S03. It gets plain stupid after that. Jump over to Succession, which is infinitely better than the best that any season of Billions could manage. And follow that up with Bad Banks.
Seconded. Succession first two seasons are really brilliant, much better than billions. Billions has become really ridiculous in the current season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Been watching 'The Last Ship'. Finished 2 seasons and enjoyed it.
Rest of the seasons are also very engaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Schitts Creek

It is a subtle comedy around how they have to cope up with the folks in the town.
On Netflix

Would recommend 3.5 out of 5 ( might not be for everyone)
I enjoyed it. Very clean and engaging drama rather than an outright comedy. Just don't expect LOL moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
Succession has not been to my liking (I guess especially after watching Billions). Some how managed to finish Season 1 and will not see more of this.

An old series that I enjoyed is 'White Collar'
I will highly suggest to watch Succession season 2. It's absolutely brilliant. Some of the best dialogues in a tv show.

Also I did a re-watch of White Collar recently. Still pretty enjoyable and highly recommended.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 22:19   #3141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, thanks a ton for the recommendation. Already wrapped up a season of "Billions" and am now officially addicted to it. Love Bobby Axe, the business, legal wrangling, all those strategic discussions - just brilliant!

Please do share any good business / strategy shows here. I've lined up "Succession" next.
An interesting sidenote is the Billions is created by Andrew Ross Sorkin, the NYT's lead business editor. His knowledge shows in the quality of the plots
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 10:11   #3142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
Succession has not been to my liking (I guess especially after watching Billions). Some how managed to finish Season 1 and will not see more of this...
Succession is one of those rare shows where S02 makes S01 look very average. Would recommend you continue with it.
Old 28th July 2020, 10:56   #3143
Team-BHP Support

Finished watching 3 episodes of "The Good Place". Very entertaining. It's an interesting storyline of someone who dies and goes to heaven but doesn't belong there.

It's hilarious as well as informative with a lot of discussion on moral physics, ethics and psychology. You get an idea of it through examples and easy to understand.

I can't tell anything more about the plot as it will be a spoiler. Very difficult to say anything without revealing the plot.

Main reason I saw it was the cast was Ted Danson from Cheers and Becker fame.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 12:07   #3144
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Schitts CreekIt is a subtle comedy around how they have to cope up with the folks in the town.
I plan on watching this since I've been seeing too many crime dramas. How many seasons are watchable?
Old 28th July 2020, 12:11   #3145
BHPian

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

If you guys want a light hearted comedy which you can watch with family I would suggest The Middle, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1442464/.

It's on Amazon prime. It's got about 9 seasons.
The show is about an Indiana based middle class family consisting of a mother, father two teenage kids and a toddler, each with some quirks and how they survive each day.

Loved it and I am currently on season 5.

Last edited by dean5545 : 28th July 2020 at 12:12.
Old 28th July 2020, 12:58   #3146
Distinguished - BHPian

Tough as Nails : 3/5

An ongoing new series by Phil Keoghan (of The Amazing Race fame) putting a bunch of random blue collar Americans into individual and team tasks based competition that are basically a variety of other blue collar jobs.

A good fun to watch series if someone has access to CBS shows. This is the first season, with about 4 episodes out so far.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 22:29   #3147
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would advice you to abandon Billions at S03.
Dude, you have seriously read my mind. I'm midway through season 3 and I'm struggling to place myself in front of the screen and continue. Does it get better? is season 4 better? Or just plain abandon. Thanks

Quote:
A wealthy business family lose their entire fortune overnight after being cheated by their Business Manager.
All their assets are ceased and they are forced to move to a small rural town and restart their lives there.
Interesting story. Will watch. Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 23:08   #3148
BHPian

Quote:
Succession is one of those rare shows where S02 makes S01 look very average. Would recommend you continue with it.
Season 1 is killing both the missus and me. Watching S01 E03 and we are waiting for it to get interesting. I hope it does.
Old 28th July 2020, 23:21   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude, you have seriously read my mind. I'm midway through season 3 and I'm struggling to place myself in front of the screen and continue. Does it get better? is season 4 better? Or just plain abandon. Thanks

Interesting story. Will watch. Thanks
Nope. Season 4 isn't better and season 5 is plain ridiculous. I will suggest to abandon it now.

On the other hand Schitts creek is a very pleasant drama and ends on a decent note.

I will also suggest you Succession. It starts slowly but stick with it. Season 2 is one of the best TV I have seen in recent years. As you like corporate and business stuff do give it a go.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 10:39   #3150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I plan on watching this since I've been seeing too many crime dramas. How many seasons are watchable?
Either you will stop after Season 1
Or if you sail through you might watch all the 6 seasons.

The episodes are short though.

Most Viewed