Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2020, 07:45   #3241
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Hi all
Saw the first season of The Crown finally. I must say the show was good although there are few question marks on veracity of dome incidents. John Lithgow as Churchill stoke the show. The language and diction was quite a pleasure to experience. A lot of conversation and with typical British wit which I would call as silent killers
Would love some recommendations on serials which are high on English language. With all the shows on espionage, so called legal thrillers and psychological thrillers I feel there is less word play and more action. If there are serials which give importance to conversation please do share
Cheers
Old 21st August 2020, 11:14   #3242
Distinguished - BHPian

Warrior - Rating - 3/5
Platform: Hotstar

Period drama set in post civil war US, based on a short script written by Bruce Lee. Good mix of drama and martial arts but there is nothing really outstanding. Feels like Gangs of New York with a lot of Chinese and Irish actors.
Old 21st August 2020, 11:24   #3243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Post this Im trying to watch Ozark, but after 4 episodes I know this is not in the league of the last 3 series I watched, Narcos, Fauda and MindHunter. So trying to see what I can watch. Breaking bad seems to have fantastic reviews, but somehow I cannot see myself watching 60 episodes. Any recommendations please?
Stick with Ozark. It gets better as the season progresses.
Do not miss on breaking bad. Those 60 episodes will fly once you get into it. I will also recommend Better Call Saul which is a prequel to breaking bad. These 2 are benchmark for great TV.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 12:33   #3244
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Post this Im trying to watch Ozark, but after 4 episodes I know this is not in the league of the last 3 series I watched
I only started enjoying Ozark after the first 10-15 episodes. If you have patience, then its worth it. Mind you its not in the same league as Narcos or Fauda!

Quote:
Breaking bad seems to have fantastic reviews, but somehow I cannot see myself watching 60 episodes. Any recommendations please?
Breaking Bad is the ultimate show! Will easily take you more than a week to finish. From Season 3 it gets very interesting.
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 13:09   #3245
BHPian

I had mentioned this before, "The Wire" sets the benchmark as far as TV shows go. It's better than BB even though the subject matter is different.

You will be lured into thinking it's just another cop show as you follow detectives hot on the trail of a drug King in the city of Baltimore. The next season however turns things around completely as it takes you to the dockyards. Each season adopts a sector of society to focus on, within the same city with a common cast of characters whose actions have consequences for the society.

It's not an easy show to watch and the complicated plot with it's focus on keeping things real demands involvement. Viewers with an interest in sociology and how crime and politics impact everyday life will find it hard to turn away. The wire has been dubbed a "Tele novel" rather than just a TV series. The creater David Simon was a crime reporter and was inspired by what he saw in the run down areas of the city. Watching the show drove me to look up some of his interviews on YT including one with Barack Obama. David Simon went on to do "Treme", another acclaimed drama on HBO

Its almost 20 years old (2002 - 2008) but I found it more compelling than BB. Some of the character portrayals are better than what I have seen anywhere else.

Available on Hotstar
hothatchaway is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 15:02   #3246
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please) - Line of Duty (BBC series on Netflix)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Watched 'Line of Duty' on Netflix. By far the best British show that I have seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Finished all 4 seasons last week. All were gripping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Thanks to you and PPS for the lead on LINE OF DUTY. What an absolute belter of a series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If you have a VPN and can log in via a Canada location, you can see Season 5 on Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I will start season 5 of Line of Duty tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
My Sis watched it in India on NetFlix. But, it is NOT showing up on NetFlix, here in US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Don’t spill the beans here since I guess we will have to wait for the season 5..
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Season 5 is available on Netflix in Australia, if that helps.
So finally binged all 5 season over a spread of 6-7 days. here is my take on it:

For those who like criminal / investigative drama and do not know what the fuss is about for which i quoted 8 posts - Please do watch this gem of a series "LINE OF DUTY" Seasons 1 to 4. You will not be disappointed.

For those who have seen only seasons 1-4 and are yet to start season 5, Please do not go out hunting for season 5 (even if its available on your regular streaming platforms). You will be highly disappointed.

Season 5 for me was a big bummer. The thrill and sense of urgency, which was present in first four seasons and made it what it is, looked like it over slept and went on a vacation and was watered down like every other thing during these times of COVID-19. Just to give you an idea, all episodes are of approximately 55-60 minutes is duration, each season has 5-6 episodes. For first 4 seasons, i didn't skip even a single frame. However for season 5, i just couldn't wait for it to get over and skipped almost like an episode or 2 just to get it over with. In fact while writing this post i just searched whether i was the only one to feel this strongly about Season 5 and turns out I am not alone

From what i have read, season 6 is being shot or is on the way. I would much rather wait for season 6 (Hoping it lives up to the precedent set by Season 1 to 4) and watch 5 & 6 together just so to counter the disappointment of season 5.

As a followup - Another gem of series from BBC - Bodyguard should also not be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I will start season 5 of Line of Duty tonight. I have a very strong hunch about how the series will end.
Your hunch is not wrong and once the season 5 gets going, you can probably see the end from a mile away.

Last edited by roamer012 : 21st August 2020 at 15:24.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 15:13   #3247
Team-BHP Support

Yeah finished yesterday and I agree, s05 was the least interesting of all seasons. And quite predictable as well.

But still a good watch overall.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 15:16   #3248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Your hunch is not wrong and once the season 5 gets going, you can probably see it from a mile away.
Agree somewhat, watched the season 5 courtesy Eddy and the hunch turned out to be just as true. Season 6 should be the one to look forward actually. If not for the redemption from season 5 but at least for the standards the show created for the first four seasons.
Old 21st August 2020, 20:38   #3249
BHPian

Enjoy the Ganesh Chaturthi weekend.

Sherlock (UK) has dropped 3 episodes of season 4 on Netflix

Lucifer has dropped 8 episodes of season 5 on Netflix
Old 21st August 2020, 21:18   #3250
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Lucifer has dropped 8 episodes of season 5 on Netflix
Which are the best seasons of Lucifer? I kind of lost interest somewhere in Season 2 !
Old 21st August 2020, 21:52   #3251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Sherlock (UK) has dropped 3 episodes of season 4 on Netflix
My mistake - season 4 was released in 2017 and is not new. I guess most members have already seen it.
Sadly I missed watching it and posted about it by mistake. Kindly excuse

Quote:
Which are the best seasons of Lucifer? I kind of lost interest somewhere in Season 2 !
Sorry @PPS, I saw season 1 & 2 and haven't found time to watch the others. Saw that it is trending in Netflix and hence posted here since we have a lot of fans on the thread. I will however find time and watch all the seasons soon.
Old 22nd August 2020, 12:11   #3252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Stick with Ozark. It gets better as the season progresses.

Do not miss on breaking bad. Those 60 episodes will fly once you get into it. I will also recommend Better Call Saul which is a prequel to breaking bad. These 2 are benchmark for great TV.

Quote:
I only started enjoying Ozark after the first 10-15 episodes. If you have patience, then its worth it. Mind you its not in the same league as Narcos or Fauda!

Breaking Bad is the ultimate show! Will easily take you more than a week to finish. From Season 3 it gets very interesting.

Thanks for the feedback. So trying to persist with Ozark for now, about 7 episodes completed as of last night. Its not the pace of this series thats an issue, but rather the narration. Hopefully the series gets a bit more interesting from here on. May be post this I will give Breaking Bad a shot.
Old 22nd August 2020, 14:28   #3253
BHPian

The Norsemen - Netflix

The Norsemen - Would rate it 3.5 / 5

Kind of a spoof on the Vikings.
The characters are basically ruthless pillagers but with a humorous twist.
On one side they are polite in their conversations, very patient and the next second would slay someone or torture someone without the slightest hint of remorse.
The timeline is supposed to be 790 AD around a group of Vikings living in the village of Norheim.

It has 3 seasons as of now.
Old 22nd August 2020, 14:54   #3254
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Norsemen - Netflix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
The Norsemen - Would rate it 3.5 / 5

Kind of a spoof on the Vikings.

It has 3 seasons as of now.
On my watchlist.
I also found that Ed China from Wheeler dealers did a cameo in one of the later episodes. Wonder if he made over a horse?

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th August 2020 at 11:04. Reason: Removing image from quote.
Old 24th August 2020, 10:21   #3255
BHPian

Watched the Eco Challenge World's Toughest Race on amazon prime yesterday. It was a fun watch. I am not much into these kind of survivor or race stuff but still decided to give it a shot. Completed entire set of 10 episodes in one day. Watch it if you don't find anything else and it's ok if you are distracted in between so you can multi task.

Most Viewed