Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2014, 10:43   #3196
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

I guess Haleem is a bit of an acquired taste. My wife and I are both hardcore carnivores and I love the stuff but she doesn't care for it too much. Also, the Mosque road food tends not to be over-spiced (which is how I like it) but could be perceived as bland by someone whose tastes run more to the spicy restaurant-style dishes
Old 24th July 2014, 11:35   #3197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

I am getting mutton Haleem (and the chicken version) from a lady called Mrs. Khizra Mueen this evening. Someone posted her ad in FB Foodies threads. Hope it is good. Also picking up some other stuff like Nargisi Kofte and Shikampuri kabab.

Do we get Murtabaq (chicken parotha?) in the fete?
She happens to be my cousin.Please refer my name.

Do not miss Dahi Wadas made by her, they are lip smacking.

Charminar restaurant at MM road serves Ande ki roti, which is a distant cousin of Murtabaq.This is the closest you can come to Murtabaq in Bangalore.

BTW:Murtabaq at Buhari (Chennai) is my favorite and i never miss an opportunity to order one when i visit Chennai.

Waseem
Old 25th July 2014, 13:50   #3198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
She happens to be my cousin.Please refer my name.
Do not miss Dahi Wadas made by her, they are lip smacking. ...
Arrey malik, pehle bolna tha na! Would have ordered Dahi Vada too.

Her stuff was EXCELLENT - Haleem (not the usual Hyderabadi stuff, this was airy and flavorful), Nargisi kofte, Shikampuri Kababs. The Khubani ka meetha and Shahi Tukda, according to my family, was out of this world.

Stuff on Mosque Road ranged from poor to good. Ali's biryani (mutton and chicken) was really good. At Chichaba's, Patthar ka Gosht was mild but half-cooked, and Seekh Kabab was dry like sand. Keema Roti was 95% onions and 5% meat everywhere. Didn't dare try the chicken kababs - looked overcooked everywhere, and I hate that. No one was buying at Savoury, so even we skipped. Empire had some OK stuff - Mumtaz Chicken and Liver Fry in particular.
Old 30th July 2014, 13:34   #3199
Senior - BHPian

Made my regular trip to Mosque Road this year too. I thulped - most of it beef. But somehow, no joy. Maybe its the crowd - it is just too overcrowded. I'd love a place to sit, relish the food, get the next food item, continue cycle. Maybe I won't go next year

Ah but I will
Old 4th August 2014, 10:06   #3200
Senior - BHPian

People,need some help,have been out of bangalore for the last 6-7years,what would be a good place along the lines of Casa Piccola (sigh which is closed I hear )for a meetup of friends,where they let you sit,talk,order at your pace and where food is good.Anywhere between Indiranagar and Koramangala should be fine.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th August 2014, 10:29   #3201
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
People,need some help,have been out of bangalore for the last 6-7years,what would be a good place along the lines of Casa Piccola (sigh which is closed I hear )for a meetup of friends,where they let you sit,talk,order at your pace and where food is good.Anywhere between Indiranagar and Koramangala should be fine.
Casa Piccola was quite unique so maybe difficult to match

However, some good places in the area are (both veggie places!)
1.Cream Center, Indiranagar 100 feet road
2.Srinathji's, Krishna Temple road, parallel to CMH Road

Both places have quite extensive menus and good variety in cuisine served as well, good ambiance too.
Old 4th August 2014, 10:39   #3202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to Bangalore.

Please try southindies as well.It is also a pureveg restaurant.
Old 4th August 2014, 12:31   #3203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

2.Srinathji's, Krishna Temple road, parallel to CMH Road

Both places have quite extensive menus and good variety in cuisine served as well, good ambiance too.
Cream center seems to have changed hands / avatar.

There is Chai Patty on the 1st floor next to Helios nr. 12th main Indiranagar. College adda type of place.

CCD on the 100ft road. Indiranagar

The hole in wall cafe. 8th main koramangala.

claytopia 16th main Indiranagar has a cafe attached.

Starbucks indiranagar.
Old 4th August 2014, 13:07   #3204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Cream Center closed a few months back. From a pure veg place the Cream centre has changed to Hotel Paramount pure non veg.

Places like Casa Picola are there plenty. In Indiranagar following places:

1. Mother Cluckers (Same as Planb)
2. Hopipolla
3. Bistro Claytopia
4. I & Monkey
Old 4th August 2014, 13:43   #3205
BHPian

Tried out 'Panch Phoron' at 7th Block Koramangala yesterday. A bengali eating joint, the name literally translates into 5 spices. Connoisseurs would recognize these, used in whole form as a 'tempering' technique

The place has a somewhat unkempt look, the food was however a revelation and reminds one of bengali cuisines cooked lovingly at home. Bereft of any sharp tang of mustard oil and redolent with a sweetish aftertaste (a signature style of bengalis from the near side of the border), the doi katla (carp cooked in a yoghurt based gravy) was sumptuous with the generous fish portions and a lip smacking gravy rich in texture from the yoghurt. The shorshe maach (carp again, cooked in a mustard gravy) had the tangy kick with a gravy richer than your usual 'jhol' - gravy allowing one to polish off generous quantities of rice

We had the chicken thali which came with a side of either 'shukto' - a sweet/sour/savory veggie medley or a 'mochar' - raw banana curry. Not a veggie man myself, I tucked into it all the same, tempted by their distinct flavor. The chicken gravy also held its own, a little runny - just as maa would make at home but with a distinct flavor

Give it a dekko if you have tired of the Bhojohori mannas and the Esplanades
Old 4th August 2014, 19:33   #3206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Tried out 'Panch Phoron' at 7th Block Koramangala yesterday ...
Exact location please?
Old 4th August 2014, 20:07   #3207
BHPian

Quote:
Exact location please?
Its on 1st Main rd, 7th block...take the road along which Tunday kababi (to your right) and further down Empire restaurant (to your left), Meghna biryani etc are located and eventually you will arrive at the junction whereupon taking left will lead you to forum mall, instead of taking left, cross the junction to go straight ahead and Panch phoron will be to your right (if you keep going straight you will reach Alishan restaurant as the road bends to the left)

Hope this helps
Old 4th August 2014, 21:28   #3208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Tried out 'Panch Phoron' at 7th Block Koramangala yesterday. A bengali eating joint,

Give it a dekko if you have tired of the Bhojohori mannas and the Esplanades
I dig bengali food because I come from its neighbour state.

Often in my visits to Bengali restaurants for dinner, I found they serve precooked food. It looks like they cook once for lunch and preheat and serve the same for dinner. For example, lushi-mangxo (soft puri and mutton curry) will have freshly made lushi but the mangxo often is preheated and served. This happens only during dinner.

Is it a standard practice? Or does it happen only with me?

forrday.
Old 5th August 2014, 13:25   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
... Is it a standard practice? Or does it happen only with me? ...
It is standard practice at all restaurants for
- meat (long cooking time, impractical for cooking and serving immediately),
- chicken (if it is cooked and served immediately, one can be sure that the chicken was parboiled with salt earlier. Most restaurants who serve overcooked chicken are guilty of not controlling the process when cooking twice) and
- fish (other than fried fish). I have seen some Malayalee restaurants keep fish part-fried - helps in preventing fish from spoiling. They refry for a short while to get crispness when an order comes in. South Canara fish restaurants fry marinated fish fresh

The primary reason is flavors develop much better if the dish is kept (obviously protected so that it doesn't spoil) for at least a few hours. Try it at home - meat always tastes better after a few hours. Even better after a few days in the fridge.

Secondly, it reduces service time. Restaurants can't take a chance of cutting short the cooking cycle in the interest of quick service, and then face the risk of partly-cooked meat / chicken / fish.

Last edited by DerAlte : 5th August 2014 at 13:28.
Old 6th August 2014, 00:46   #3210
BHPian

Quote:
Arrey malik, pehle bolna tha na! Would have ordered Dahi Vada too.

Her stuff was EXCELLENT - Haleem (not the usual Hyderabadi stuff, this was airy and flavorful), Nargisi kofte, Shikampuri Kababs. The Khubani ka meetha and Shahi Tukda, according to my family, was out of this world.
Very interesting! Any idea if this is only for Ramzan or whether she cooks similar stuff throughout the year? Shall try and call over the weekend.

Most Viewed