Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 17:22   #3076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Vasudev Adiga was good once upon a time , now I feel they are over priced and there is no feel good factor anymore. I have started avoiding this place now.

I heard some rumors that the original owner has sold the entire chain to some Mumbai based business man . Not sure if this is true.
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/Lq...dev-Adiga.html

Adigas has a new minority share holder and it's their initiative that you now see a new and aggressive adigas. They plan to open close to 100 outlets and hence the drop in quality and taste and increase in the pricing.

Last edited by appu.bhandari : 4th March 2014 at 17:25.
Old 4th March 2014, 17:37   #3077
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Also, if you want to have a taste of Karnaraka style Huli (sambar) or Saaru (rasam), you can visit MTR (either JP Nagar) or Lalbagh.

Rgds
Old 5th March 2014, 15:03   #3078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blr_RK View Post
... Karnaraka style Huli (sambar) or Saaru (rasam) ...
At last someone who terms Huli as pan-Karnataka! Inland people don't - they still say Sambar, and that is quite different from Huli. Must be a Mysore thing that, Sambar? An outsider's perception: coastal guys don't seem to identify themselves with anything Mysuru for some historical reason - maybe because they were under "Madras Presidency" and not Mysore state before Independence?

Can anyone tell me why "Bus saaru" is named so? It has nothing to do with Buses, nor is it a thin runny stuff like Saaru. It is quite thick, greenish yellow and not red like Saaru, and very less spicy - more like a Dal with Saag / Soppu. Delicious, though. It is home stuff - never seen it in restaurants.
Old 5th March 2014, 15:45   #3079
BHPian

Went to Oh Calcutta on the 14th Feb, tried their Buffet Lunch. Absolutely loved it. Comes to the closet to authentic Calcutta cuisine.

A couple of absolute standouts were - Bhetki Paturi (Steamed Fish in a leaf) and the Mutton Biryani. Gosh, the Biryani was fab. I had not even an inch of space remaining.

Price was 650+ taxes which worked out to be around 1400. Brilliant Deal I say!

Last edited by pratyush6 : 5th March 2014 at 15:49.
Old 5th March 2014, 17:10   #3080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
At last someone who terms Huli as pan-Karnataka! Inland people don't - they still say Sambar, and that is quite different from Huli. Must be a Mysore thing that, Sambar? An outsider's perception: coastal guys don't seem to identify themselves with anything Mysuru for some historical reason - maybe because they were under "Madras Presidency" and not Mysore state before Independence?

Can anyone tell me why "Bus saaru" is named so? It has nothing to do with Buses, nor is it a thin runny stuff like Saaru. It is quite thick, greenish yellow and not red like Saaru, and very less spicy - more like a Dal with Saag / Soppu. Delicious, though. It is home stuff - never seen it in restaurants.
From what I've seen in hotels and in my own home, saaru/sambar/rasam/huli are more or less generic terms for the curries. Each household calls the curry either sambar or saaru. For example, in my house we call beLe saaru while in a friend's house they call it beLe sambar, for what is actually the same dish. In some households, saaru is usually rasam which is very thin and watery.

Inland people have their 'Hulis' too. In my house preparations like 'Mosaru Huli/Majjige huli' and a few more hulis are done (please don't ask me the names). So mostly what we prepare in our homes are not seen (or called so) in hotels.

We used to joke about eating a 'Bus' with the saaru at home whenever this saaru was prepared. But I don't know how it is prepared. I will have to ask this at home and get back. It is one of my favourtie 'saaru' though
Old 5th March 2014, 17:11   #3081
BHPian

Quote:
"Bus" Saaru is made from a palak leaves by straining it. Sometimes its also called as "Bus Soppu" . Basically they Drain excess water after boiling it and prepare it.
Old 5th March 2014, 17:30   #3082
Senior - BHPian

Mostly Brahmins in Old Mysuru region use the term 'huli' for sambhar and 'saaru' for thili saaru meaning watery saaru for rasam. Since 'huli' is sour, they might have been using more tamarind

Bus soppu is not exactly palak, right?
Old 5th March 2014, 18:30   #3083
BHPian

Re: Sabbasige Saaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Bus soppu is not exactly palak, right?
Right! 'Bus Saaru' is made predominantly from 'Sabbasige Soppu' a.k.a Dill leaves, and is more so consumed along with Ragi balls a.k.a 'Mudde'. May be it is called as it is coz of 'Sabbasige Saaru'.
Old 5th March 2014, 19:19   #3084
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sabbasige Saaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
... Price was 650+ taxes which worked out to be around 1400 ...
Err... how? The taxes are 750?

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
... don't ask me the names. ...
Please? Pretty please? For the sake of all the appreciative expats in Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
... Basically they Drain excess water after boiling it and prepare it.
Err... with the leaves or the excess water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
... might have been ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
... May be it is called ...
See, no agreement on the origins, process and contents! Bherry konphusing!

Why would the locals call Dill / Sabbasige Soppu "Sabakki Soppu"? That used to confuse me into thinking maybe Sabakki / Sabudana comes from the same plant. Not!
Old 5th March 2014, 19:37   #3085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone tell me why "Bus saaru" is named so? It has nothing to do with Buses, nor is it a thin runny stuff like Saaru. .

The process of straining is called as "basiyodhu" in kannada. So it is Saaru which is prepared from the water strained from the leaves or even dal itself. Hence ideally it should be something like "basida saaru" or "Bastiruva saaru". But due to the difficulty in pronouncing such a detailed word, people started calling "bass-saaru" (again bass not as in audio, rather buss saaru).

In my place they do it with different leaves, and with daal. Its best done with something called as Arive Soppu, whose commercial name I am unaware of. My grany does some awesome cooking with this one. Basically the leaves are cooked in water and the water is drained out to make the rasam. The vegetable matter or leaves are then converted to a palya or curry. This is my most favourite south Indian dish so far. The curry along with rice and raitha make a heavy afternoon lunch, and it is said to be very healthy too.

Regarding the name confusion,
Rasam - Saaru
Sambhar - Huli(in local language)

Last edited by audioholic : 5th March 2014 at 19:39.
Old 5th March 2014, 19:46   #3086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
... "basiyodhu" ... "basida saaru" or "Bastiruva saaru". ... Arive Soppu, whose commercial name I am unaware of. ...
A-ha!

Arive Soppu = Harive Soppu = Amaranth or Cholai (Hindi). Comes in red and green varieties. I just luuuurv the Soppina HuLi my MIL makes - tempered with a lot of fried garlic!!!
Old 5th March 2014, 19:53   #3087
BHPian

Good to see us discussing Saaru and Huli rather than the now more common names Sambar and Rasam
Old 5th March 2014, 21:20   #3088

Made out of dhal and berekke (mixed) soppu, the sambar consisting of all edible greens picked in the gardens, tempered and squeezed, the liquid portion is used as the gravy and the solid eaten as side dish; the muddle made out of ragi is broken into bite sized pieces and used like a scoop to swallow the gravy ( not to be chewed). Deliciously drowsy it makes you and you can slumber thereafter even in the midst of the din of the Parliament House.
Old 5th March 2014, 22:51   #3089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRom View Post
). Deliciously drowsy it makes you and you can slumber thereafter even in the midst of the din of the Parliament House.
True that!

Hot afternoon + this meal = The most extreme drowsiness

If there is a boring class scheduled ahead in the afternoon, I make it a point to get this bussid saaru prepared and have a nice meal before I return to college. Thats the end. Helped especially in killing the boredom of field theory and operating system classes. Did score well though.
Old 6th March 2014, 00:22   #3090

Have you guys been to Hoppipolla ? Its a relatively new place right on top of mainland china on 100 ft road indira nagar , It's competitively priced , A lot of college going kids are usually found there. A good new place in Bangalore to hang out .

Note from Mod: Mentioning and Discussing Alcohol is not permitted on the forum. Please visit our rules before proceeding further. Repeat will attract infraction. Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th March 2014 at 11:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks