Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Who will win the EURO 2008 ?
Germany 26 63.41%
Russia 4 9.76%
Spain 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2008, 10:59   #136
Senior - BHPian

I reached home after the meet and switched the tv on. 3-1 Russia - Game over. !!

Amazing! Seems like this could be the underdog EURO year. Turkey and Russia in the semis. Now anything can happen.

I hope the Spaniards dump the Italians tonight.
Old 22nd June 2008, 11:00   #137
BANNED

As both Portugal & Holland are out .... to keep my interest alive Im gonna hope that either Turkey or Russia win the trophy . :-)

And yeah the 2nd goal was a good goal .. it was bound to happen as the Dutch had really tired themselves out whereas the Russians were still as fresh as ever . The Dutch should have fallen back and tried to take it to the penalty shoot out specially when 5-7 mins were left . Russians played well no doubt -- but was it due to the Russians or was it due to the golden coach that they have ;-) ??

Cheers

PS -- NC @ I hope so too .. The Spaniards need to fire on all 11 cylinders !!
Old 22nd June 2008, 13:43   #138
Senior - BHPian

Whatz happening in the Euro QFs this year?

The underdogs are dumping the favourites!

Well, today both Italy & Spain are favourites, but Italy have the experience to deliver at crunch matches!
Go Italia Go!
Old 22nd June 2008, 14:04   #139
BHPian

Russia were deserved winners actually, thats the worse part. They outplayed the Dutch. 'Lucky Guus' strikes again!!! Now only Germany is left with big tourney winning experience, apart from Italy of course. Hope the Spaniards start playing some good football and knock Italy out tonight. They will be insufferable if they win Euro as well, after their World cup success!!!
Old 22nd June 2008, 14:16   #140
Senior - BHPian

I just hope that today Spain will shake off their tag of being Chokers in crucial matches. I really don't want to see Italy to go further. At least this time the way they are playing they don't deserve to be in the finals. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 22nd June 2008, 16:59   #141
Senior - BHPian

If any team hopes to beat Russia they better do it in under 90 minutes. Because, the Russians are something else in extra time. Their speed and stamina is unrivaled.

The Dutch peaked too early IMO, likewise Spain has to watch out against the Italians. Its all fine when their strikers are firing goals for fun but they now face a team that has the big match temperament, with or without their key midfielders.
Old 22nd June 2008, 20:07   #142
BHPian

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant performance from the Russians. They proved that the best form of defence is attack. All through this tournament, the Dutch did not come across a team which was willing to come at them. Teams like France, Italy and Romania sat back and invited the pressure. It allowed the Dutch forward line to rip their defences apart with their slick passing game.

But trust the tactical genius of Guus to put one over his home country and how. The Russians decimated the Dutch. I don't remember the Dutch mustering one clear opportunity on goal apart from the set pieces. All Dutch fans secretly knew that their defence wasn't anywhere near the quality required to keep the top teams out. But the French and the Italians gave them a false sense of security by sitting back and getting ripped apart. But the Russians had other ideas.

And this praise comes from someone who is an ardent Dutch fan and voted for them in the poll. I will admit it now that I thought the Spaniards will be the team who will try and attack them (if they progressed). I should have known better after watching the Russians take apart the Swedes. That boy Arshavin was marvellous. None of the Dutch defenders or midfielders got a tackle on him all night. They just didn't know which way he was going. Rumours are he is being tracked by Arsenal; I'd love to see him in the Prem next season. (though I'm a lifelong ManU fan). Feel for VDS though, he kept the Dutch in the game on more than one occasion and deserved to have a shot at the title which his loyal service to the national team has deserved. Van Basten was naive with his substitutions, bringing on Afellay with half an hour to go. He should have seen the way Arshavin and Pavyluchenko were troubling the defence and shored it up. Engelaar and De Jong were spent in their pursuit.

But, it gets very intresting now. I tipped the Dutch, followed by Portugal and Croatia. All of them have been packed off at the first hurdle. I will put my neck on the line again and tip Spain now (what the heck?). If they get past the Italians, they will take some stopping. But I fear for them the same way as for the Dutch as their defence is no better. If the Russians play at the same level, you could see them again put one over Spain (Italy would be a tough nut to crack for them coz they play a technically compact game).

I say, Germany vs Spain in the final. Turks would be missing half of their first eleven, I can't see the Emperor (Fatih Terim, thats what they call him) inspire his team to another upset. Spain to win it to finally lose the perennial tag of chokers. Thats an emotional choice for sure.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 22nd June 2008 at 20:16.
Old 23rd June 2008, 03:41   #143
BANNED

Spaniards didn't choke .. whew !! So the WC are out .. now Im hoping that the Turks inpsite of being without half their main team can somehow knock the Germans out . The Russia vs Spain match should be a good one and hope we get to see a goal fest from bothe sides ;-) ( asking for too much , AM I )
Old 23rd June 2008, 08:52   #144
BHPian

Thank God the Italians got kicked out! I don't have anything against Italy but I want a team that hasn't won anything so far to win the cup. I really want Spain to lift the cup. I hope they do!
Old 23rd June 2008, 09:30   #145
BHPian

Well, finally Italy fail in a shoot-out!!!! A very staid match, neither of the teams were willing to come out and play. If they keep playing this way, Russia can put one over them before you can say Aragones. The SF should be a good match. I am tipping Germany to go all the way.
Old 23rd June 2008, 09:48   #146
Senior - BHPian

Now Italy gets kicked out. This Feels nice all the underdogs doing well.
Seems to be headed for a Russia vs Spain.
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:30   #147
Senior - BHPian

Italy deserved to be knocked out of the tournament! Y'day they played a boring defensive game!
They hardly created any chances & waited for Spain to attack them!
I guess something to do with the coach (Donadoni), he being a defender in his playing days. He lacked ideas to attack Spain.
Luca Toni had a nightmarish tournament, couldn't score any goal despite getting million chances!
Time to drop the veterans in the team & bring some young guns like what Spain did.

Spain played better, passed the ball around & created more chances, but couldn't score.

The SF clash between Spain vs Russia will be a interesting one!

Wish it was a final match!

Last edited by finneyp : 23rd June 2008 at 12:33.
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:42   #148
Senior - BHPian

I am going for a Russia - Germany final. And Germany winning the Euro.

Go Germany Go.

I still think the Spaniards might choke anytime.
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:46   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Russia was outstanding in their last match against the Dutch. They have got what it takes to go all the way! I hate it when teams that play defensive game win.
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:46   #150
Senior - BHPian

Well what a surprise to see russia kick out the dutch. Couldnt watch the game but saw the highlights and looked like the dutch were very tired or so.
Yesterdays match was so much about trying to score but not coming anywhere near. Spain tried but didnt succeed and italy had a couple themself.
Penalties are all about luck. It does not depend on how good the goali is but how he plays mind games. Thats my opinion though

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks