Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 12:18   #661
BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Wow, TeamBHP rocks!! So many good hearts coming up with their own examples, thank you folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
in short, its become an enjoyable game for him.
we also follow a rule of no sweets/ sugar after 7pm. well, we try to
Yeah, this is what I thought too - "its become an enjoyable game for him". As many others have quoted, I guess I was a little worried forgetting the fact that he is just 2.5. I guess I should wait a little longer and if it persists, I should then consult his Doctor.

And, "No Sweet / Sugar after 7" seems to be something new. I am worried if this would be the case, what if the kid starts demanding sweets everyday before 7 as a regular practise.. (At present, he demands sweet only when he physically finds one & we try our best to avoid sweets in front of him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
LOL. Regarding 1, just let it be and enjoy the cuteness of it. I remember how my daughter, when asked to say "Mantri Residency" would go "Manta-dee-dee-dee-dency".
"Manta-dee-dee-dee-dency" - WOW, I can imagine. Your kid just brought a little smile on my face today. Very Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Please check with your child's Doctor for "tongue-tie"
These medical terms sounds scary! Anyhow - a good point that I must ask the Doctor. Thanks Murali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
He is 2.5! relax.
Off topic. In this country nobody corrects any pronunciation. Even adults can not pronounce hard 'R'. Rabbit is pronounced as Wabbit. and we hard 'R' pronouncers are laughed at .
Absolutely right Vivek! We tend to somehow westernise & at most cases this "R" gets pronounced as "W"! Looking at a western sense, "migrations in pronunciation" seems to be correct. If kids learn our basic foundations in the correct sense and then migrate later when they are adults - it must be the best way. For instance, we need the "R" sound even for Indian terms like "Rang", "Raath", "Rowdy Rathore" ... (Slightly off-topic again, I got your point though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr View Post
Hello, I am Dr.Rajan. My wife is a paediatrician , and we have a daughter who is 3.3 yrs. she too is not able to spell R..instead she says L. This is absolutely normal, and please do not worry about this, different children, pick up R at different age groups, usually by the age of 4 to 4.6 yrs. they will surely start with R. So please stop worrying and enjoy the little one speaking the baby language...let's cherish it now....it's going to change soon.
Hello Doc, thanks a lot for penning this, I am a much relaxed now. Do you also have some advise regarding chocolates? My wife is extremely worried about this. Is there any "Safe" limit on chocolate count (daily / weekly) for kids? (Just for an info: My mom and Father-in-law are actually diabetic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My son too is in the same situation. "R" sound is replaced by "L".
Hey Doc., maybe your wife should keep sending tips on this thread.
Hey SUN, This is a great idea. Doctor's tips on BHP - will keep our health revving too! And my dad told me yesterday evening that even I replaced "R" with "L" sound (Rubber as "lubbel") in my initial years. My "R" today is good and acceptable anyways!

Thanks again for all inputs guys, I will sleep a little more relaxed tonight.
Old 6th July 2012, 14:09   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M
Wow, TeamBHP rocks!! So many good hearts coming up with their own examples, thank you folks!

Yeah, this is what I thought too - "its become an enjoyable game for him". As many others have quoted, I guess I was a little worried forgetting the fact that he is just 2.5. I guess I should wait a little longer and if it persists, I should then consult his Doctor.

And, "No Sweet / Sugar after 7" seems to be something new. I am worried if this would be the case, what if the kid starts demanding sweets everyday before 7 as a regular practise.. (At present, he demands sweet only when he physically finds one & we try our best to avoid sweets in front of him)

"Manta-dee-dee-dee-dency" - WOW, I can imagine. Your kid just brought a little smile on my face today. Very Sweet!

These medical terms sounds scary! Anyhow - a good point that I must ask the Doctor. Thanks Murali.

Absolutely right Vivek! We tend to somehow westernise & at most cases this "R" gets pronounced as "W"! Looking at a western sense, "migrations in pronunciation" seems to be correct. If kids learn our basic foundations in the correct sense and then migrate later when they are adults - it must be the best way. For instance, we need the "R" sound even for Indian terms like "Rang", "Raath", "Rowdy Rathore" ... (Slightly off-topic again, I got your point though)

Hello Doc, thanks a lot for penning this, I am a much relaxed now. Do you also have some advise regarding chocolates? My wife is extremely worried about this. Is there any "Safe" limit on chocolate count (daily / weekly) for kids? (Just for an info: My mom and Father-in-law are actually diabetic).

Hey SUN, This is a great idea. Doctor's tips on BHP - will keep our health revving too! And my dad told me yesterday evening that even I replaced "R" with "L" sound (Rubber as "lubbel") in my initial years. My "R" today is good and acceptable anyways!

Thanks again for all inputs guys, I will sleep a little more relaxed tonight.
Chocolates are no problem at all. Please do take a little care on the type of chocolate you give your children. Like in reputed brands. Avoid sticky sugar chocolates, prefer milk chocolates, and too much of anything is too bad. Do not restrict chocolates, but do not give in excess. Probably 1 or two a day should be just fine. The most important thing however is teeth care. Chocolates would damage the milk teeth or the primary dentition very rapidly if not taken care well. Please consult your dentist. When ever your child has a chocolate, kindly brush or at least rinse the mouth twice or thrice. Ask your dentist for a fluoride application to be done for your child. ( I am a dentist by profession) Finally diabetes has a genetic predisposition and more of environmental. So eating chocolates in excess is no way related to your child going to be a diabetic or not. So pls stop worrying and let him enjoy his childhood chocolate crave and you guys...enjoy eating the leftover chocolates.
Old 6th July 2012, 14:42   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
And, "No Sweet / Sugar after 7" seems to be something new.
Quote:
Finally diabetes has a genetic predisposition and more of environmental. So eating chocolates in excess is no way related to your child going to be a diabetic or not. So pls stop worrying and let him enjoy his childhood chocolate crave and you guys...enjoy eating the leftover chocolates
Good to know that about diabetes doc! My son eats veggies, meat, fish etc and no need to force him on these things. Since he was a toddler, he wanted to eat what was on our plate. I guess it helped that we ensured our plates had the right kind of food too. Only issue is he just too much into sweets.

Mister_M; what I notice is that if he eats anything sweet closer to bedtime, he has too much pent up energy and is running about like that Energiser bunny. Eventually that delays his bedtime and he does not sleep as well as he would otherwise. so if he wants something sweet, we try to feed him a fruit in the evening.

Last edited by selfdrive : 6th July 2012 at 14:47.
Old 6th July 2012, 16:45   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Please consult your dentist. When ever your child has a chocolate, kindly brush or at least rinse the mouth twice or thrice. Ask your dentist for a fluoride application to be done for your child. ( I am a dentist by profession) Finally diabetes has a genetic predisposition and more of environmental. So eating chocolates in excess is no way related to your child going to be a diabetic or not. So pls stop worrying and let him enjoy his childhood chocolate crave and you guys...enjoy eating the leftover chocolates.
My son's molars/ or perhaps pre-molars are already a little black on the top. I think there could be some decay (since it doesn't go off after brushing).
Should we leave it as it is and expect new teeth to take care of the problem?
Maybe I should post a picture to explain the situation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
....and is running about like that Energiser bunny. Eventually that delays his bedtime and he does not sleep as well as he would otherwise...
Energiser bunny... ha ha ha...

Well, kids have an insane amount of energy (especially after sunset) and I don't know why is that.
One thing I have noticed is that if they get physical activity (outdoors mainly) in the evening, then they are much happier than normal.
Afternoon sleep hours if kept less, also help in getting them to sleep early (say around 10:30-11 PM) instead of 12-12:30 AM.
We wake up our son at 8 AM and he is in school at 9 AM. Earlier, he used to wake up at 9:30 AM.
Old 6th July 2012, 17:35   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive

Good to know that about diabetes doc! My son eats veggies, meat, fish etc and no need to force him on these things. Since he was a toddler, he wanted to eat what was on our plate. I guess it helped that we ensured our plates had the right kind of food too. Only issue is he just too much into sweets.

Does your son like mango? You can probably give him one serving of sweet per day. Like once only in the evenings which would keep him energised till bedtime and once he tires himself out he is going to have a good night's sleep and early rising also. At this age sweets neednt be a worry if he is not having too much. Once In a day is good. Will keep him happy also and running around and being active is any day better than sitting and watching tv or computer. The more active the child the better.
And yes the child after weaning can be fed whatever the mother is eating. And like you said it only inspires you to go in for a healthier diet which is good for the whole of the family and not just the child.
Regards.
Old 6th July 2012, 17:49   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
One thing I have noticed is that if they get physical activity (outdoors mainly) in the evening, then they are much happier than normal.
Afternoon sleep hours if kept less, also help in getting them to sleep early (say around 10:30-11 PM) instead of 12-12:30 AM.
yep, physical activity is fine, nothing short there. Earlier he used to sleep late because he slept in the afternoons. But this academic year onwards he has school through the afternoon, so he started sleeping early (around 930). whatever the sleeping time is, it takes more effort if he has eaten anything sweet two hours before that. By sweet, I mean direct sugary things such as Indian sweets, chocolates, cream wafers, biscuits, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Does your son like mango? You can probably give him one serving of sweet per day.
yes, he likes and eats all fruits, veggies. basically whatever we eat. sometimes he asks for specific things; he will be 6 soon! but thats fine. when I spoke to my paediatrician about this, he asked me how much sweets I ate. My response was something like once a week maybe, unless its icecream. He smirked at that and asked me to restrict sweets to before 7pm, reasonable quantity only. His point was sweets should not constitute or substitute a full meal.
My wife is sure I note this more because I dont eat sweets much
Old 6th July 2012, 18:13   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive

yes, he likes and eats all fruits, veggies. basically whatever we eat. sometimes he asks for specific things; he will be 6 soon! but thats fine. when I spoke to my paediatrician about this, he asked me how much sweets I ate. My response was something like once a week maybe, unless its icecream. He smirked at that and asked me to restrict sweets to before 7pm, reasonable quantity only. His point was sweets should not constitute or substitute a full meal.
My wife is sure I note this more because I dont eat sweets much
Yes the sugar rush continues for sometime happens in everyone children and adults. The other day my colleague had sugar rush and there was no stopping him. He too had become an energiser bunny.

As long as healthy eating habits are inculcated into the child its going to help him in the long run and prevent obesity. Jaggery is also a good alternative from the direct sugary sweets and can be mixed with milk too. As much as possible try to give him sweets in terms of fruits and other organic food as thats the best source with least harm to the body. And i hope you avoid monosodium glutamate based seasonings in food.

Ive seen the more naughty and active the child is the calmer and more mature they become when they grow up. This is my observation with respect to the kids in my extended family.
And try to avoid afternoon sleep as much as possible. Helps to induce sleep earlier by night and a better sleep cycle too even for the parents as the child then wakes up less frequently at night. 6 to 8 hours of minimum sleep for everyone in the family. Better health for everyone. These facts maybe known to you very well since youre a father but just a healthy reminder as we tend to forget the simplest things in the daily life. Our childhood days were pretty relaxed as compared to these days.

Regards.
Old 6th July 2012, 19:40   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N
My son's molars/ or perhaps pre-molars are already a little black on the top. I think there could be some decay (since it doesn't go off after brushing).
Should we leave it as it is and expect new teeth to take care of the problem?
Maybe I should post a picture to explain the situation...

Energiser bunny... ha ha ha...

Well, kids have an insane amount of energy (especially after sunset) and I don't know why is that.
We wake up our son at 8 AM and he is in school at 9 AM. Earlier, he used to wake up at 9:30 AM.
If its black and does not go after brushing....Rush to a dentist immediately and get it filled. Do not delay. The important thing is to retain the deciduous or milk teeth because they are the guides for the permanent teeth to erupt at the correct place and position. Retaining the milk teeth is very important, failing to which, they will develop malocclusions of any degree later in life when the permanent teeth erupt and will require Braces to correct them.
Old 6th July 2012, 22:33   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr

If its black and does not go after brushing....Rush to a dentist immediately and get it filled.
How does filling a decaying tooth help?
Attaching one picture taken from my mobile.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120706_223233.png
Views: 495
Size:  280.5 KB
Notice the last tooth.
Old 7th July 2012, 07:36   #670
BHPian

Quote:

How does filling a decaying tooth help?
Attaching one picture taken from my mobile.

Notice the last tooth.
Filling , it's done by removing the decay first and then filling the cavity with a dental restorative cement. This will prevent the decay or rather infection from reaching the pulp chamber inside the tooth which consists of nerves and blood vessels.
Old 7th July 2012, 10:14   #671
BHPian

Hi, I have a 3 month old baby. I am looking for a nanny who could help us out in taking care of the baby during the day time as my wife goes out to job. Anyone has hired a nanny off late, could you please give me some reference for the same? This is bit urgent as my wife's leaves are almost exhausted.
Old 21st July 2012, 11:46   #672
BHPian

Hi guys, been following this thread as a reader for some time now. My son is all of 19 months and is a bubbly bundle of fun.

I had a query. My son has not yet started walking on his own. He walks with support of furniture in the house or by moving with a chair etc. He does once in a while try to stand on his own leaving both hands and can hold it like for 5-10 seconds. But mostly he is content to crawl on all fours and moves that way in pretty good speeds. Does anyone else in this forum have a similar experience? Our pediatrician said nothing to worry and kids do walk at 2 years as well. As a parent I am concerned though.
Old 21st July 2012, 12:28   #673
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post

I had a query. My son has not yet started walking on his own. He walks with support of furniture in the house or by moving with a chair etc. He does once in a while try to stand on his own leaving both hands and can hold it like for 5-10 seconds. But mostly he is content to crawl on all fours and moves that way in pretty good speeds. Does anyone else in this forum have a similar experience? Our pediatrician said nothing to worry and kids do walk at 2 years as well. As a parent I am concerned though.
No big deal. My son started walking quite late too. Now he never stands still - always running around the house getting into trouble. A trick that my mom taught us to get him walking quickly - this helps because the little guy is a bit low on confidence.

1) You sit on the floor , hold him to get him up on his feet.
2) Ask your wife to sit around a metre from you - that's max 3 to 4 baby steps.
3) Ask your wife to call your son, with a big smile on her face and encouraging "Come to Mommy" kind of baby talk
4) You keep your hands under his shoulder and get him to walk those 2 or 3 steps to your wife.
5) Do this the other way around too - Mom to Dad, and then again Dad to Mom.
6) Slowly increase the distance (and also reduce your hand support under the baby's shoulders) - you and your wife might have to stand up and ready to grab your son just in case he falls.
Old 21st July 2012, 12:52   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Filling , it's done by removing the decay first and then filling the cavity with a dental restorative cement. This will prevent the decay or rather infection from reaching the pulp chamber inside the tooth which consists of nerves and blood vessels.
Got this done last week for two teeth.
Old 21st July 2012, 12:57   #675
BHPian

Quote:

Got this done last week for two teeth.
Good that his fillings have been done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks