Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:42   #676
BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Hi guys, been following this thread as a reader for some time now. My son is all of 19 months and is a bubbly bundle of fun.

I had a query. My son has not yet started walking on his own. He walks with support of furniture in the house or by moving with a chair etc. He does once in a while try to stand on his own leaving both hands and can hold it like for 5-10 seconds. But mostly he is content to crawl on all fours and moves that way in pretty good speeds. Does anyone else in this forum have a similar experience? Our pediatrician said nothing to worry and kids do walk at 2 years as well. As a parent I am concerned though.
No worries at all. . He is just a bit lazy

My daughter started walking when she was 8 months. My son preferred to sit and laze around for a good 1.5 yrs . Your son is getting his work done, so isnt taking the pain of walking. No need to panic.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:54   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
I am looking for a nanny who could help us out in taking care of the baby during the day time as my wife goes out to job. Anyone has hired a nanny off late, could you please give me some reference for the same?
Will there be another family member present in the house while the nanny is around? If not, then I recommend having the baby go to a good babysitting place where other kids will be around. I am sure some Bangalorean parents could recommend a good place convenient to you.

There are too many risks associated with leaving a baby alone tomorrow with a nanny you dont know today.
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:18   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai

No worries at all. . He is just a bit lazy

My daughter started walking when she was 8 months. My son preferred to sit and laze around for a good 1.5 yrs . Your son is getting his work done, so isnt taking the pain of walking. No need to panic.
Please get a neurological check done on your child. It's just to rule out any neurological problems.
Old 24th July 2012, 21:45   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Will there be another family member present in the house while the nanny is around? If not, then I recommend having the baby go to a good babysitting place where other kids will be around. I am sure some Bangalorean parents could recommend a good place convenient to you.

There are too many risks associated with leaving a baby alone tomorrow with a nanny you dont know today.
There will be no family members around when the nanny would be at home. I am helpless. At present I am leaving my kid at a day care center, but I am not happy with the way things are proceeding at the day care. My kid is not keeping well for the past few days due to improper handling of kid at the day care.
Old 25th July 2012, 12:48   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
My kid is not keeping well for the past few days due to improper handling of kid at the day care.
Find a better one.
Kids do fall sick(usual cold, fever, etc) very often if sent to day care. That's because of close interaction with other kids who might be carrying those viruses. Not a major worry. That's better than leaving a kid at home with an unknown person, unless you can monitor with some remote access CCTV cameras.
Old 25th July 2012, 13:01   #681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi guys, been following this thread as a reader for some time now. My son is all of 19 months and is a bubbly bundle of fun.

I had a query. My son has not yet started walking on his own. He walks with support of furniture in the house or by moving with a chair etc. He does once in a while try to stand on his own leaving both hands and can hold it like for 5-10 seconds. But mostly he is content to crawl on all fours and moves that way in pretty good speeds. Does anyone else in this forum have a similar experience? Our pediatrician said nothing to worry and kids do walk at 2 years as well. As a parent I am concerned though.
My daughter is 1 year 6 months. She can walk well while holding my finger. If I am not around she walks on her own.
Does your son try and make you pick him up. If yes, its time you went on a small holiday. That would force him to start walking on his own.

It has worked with my daughter.
Old 25th July 2012, 13:19   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That would force him to start walking on his own.
I don't think it's a good idea to make your kid walk earlier than usual.
Saying so beacuse my son started walking very early. i.e when he was just a little over a year old. In fact he actually skipped the crawling part very soon. Initially we were happy, but now(he is 2.5 yrs old now) we are a little worried as he has a bent legs known as 'knock knees'. One possible explanation is that he started walking much before his legs were actually strong enough to support his weight, apart from Vitamin D deficiency. Now he is being fed Vitamin and calcium supplements and the doc has assured it will be ok after some time. But still worried.

Last edited by Daewood : 25th July 2012 at 13:22.
Old 25th July 2012, 13:28   #683
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to make your kid walk earlier than usual.
Saying so beacuse my son started walking very early. i.e when he was just a little over a year old. In fact he actually skipped the crawling part very soon. Initially we were happy, but now(he is 2.5 yrs old now) we are a little worried as he has a bent legs known as 'knock knees'. One possible explanation is that he started walking much before his legs were actually strong enough to support his weight, apart from Vitamin D deficiency. Now he is being fed Vitamin and calcium supplements and the doc has assured it will be ok after some time. But still worried.
Daewood.

I was only talking about kids over 18 months of age.
Very sorry I was not clear. But thanks for bringing up this point.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.
Old 25th July 2012, 14:23   #684
Senior - BHPian

My son spent the first five years of his life at Bangalore. We used to take him to an excellent paediatrician, Dr.Sashidhara at RMV Extension. My son used to get frequent colds and chest congestions at Bangalore (probably due to the climate and/or parthenium allergy) which have abated to a very great extent after moving to Chennai. He is 12 now, but I would like to share some of the preventive steps suggested by this doctor for the benefit of all:

a) Avoid, or restrict as much as possible, three "C"s - Chips, Cola and (brown) Chocolate. Not always possible, so give white chocolate instead of brown.

b) Allergy can be triggered by re-frying food in used oil. So don't give fried items, chips etc bought from shops. Always prepare such items at home, fried only in fresh oil.

c) Avoid all food stuff with artificial colors. Including cakes and ice creams. Vanila cakes and ice creams are the best. The Dr. used to quip "he can have any cake or ice cream, so long as it is white"!

d) Always buy good branded ice cream in sealed cups. Avoid stuff like cones (even MTR) from road-side dispensers.

e) Even branded ice creams are to be bought from large stores like Spencers etc, which will have generators for back-up and actually run them. Good brands like Quality-Walls and Amul will be sterile, and their E-coli count zero, when they leave the factory. But during storage if they are allowed to melt and then frozen again, that may change. And many small shops will not have generators for power-offs. Worse, many such shops will switch off their freezers at night to save electricity.

Last edited by Gansan : 25th July 2012 at 14:25.
Old 25th July 2012, 15:07   #685
Senior - BHPian

Hey nice thread for new-dads like me - 6mths (Jan 17th 2012)

Hmm, among some serious talk here let me post a (nasty) humor one (I went thru this a couple of times!!)

"Sight/Smell RULES OVER touch when it comes to Diaper check time"
Old 25th July 2012, 16:15   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost

My daughter is 1 year 6 months. She can walk well while holding my finger. If I am not around she walks on her own.
Does your son try and make you pick him up. If yes, its time you went on a small holiday. That would force him to start walking on his own.

It has worked with my daughter.
Good to hear from you BB.

Oh he does make us pick him up or uses furniture to move. But mostly he is content to crawl . In fact he crawls so fast it appears as running.

We have been on several holidays with him, he loves going out. In fact most of the mornings when he wakes up he comes to me "dada tata" :-).

The thing is he stands on his own now for like 10-15 seconds, but doesn't try to take the step ahead. If we coax him showing some toy etc he just falls off in our direction. Its like he doesn't have any balance at all.
Old 25th July 2012, 23:50   #687
BHPian

Quote:
My son is all of 19 months... Our pediatrician said nothing to worry and kids do walk at 2 years as well. As a parent I am concerned though.
Not walking at 19 months may be normal, provided all other domains of his development (speech, fine motor, social etc) are normal for age.
So assuming that your paeditrician has made sure those are normal, he is right. You can give him some more time before you start worrying.
Old 26th July 2012, 00:30   #688
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Oh he does make us pick him up or uses furniture to move. But mostly he is content to crawl . In fact he crawls so fast it appears as running.

We have been on several holidays with him, he loves going out. In fact most of the mornings when he wakes up he comes to me "dada tata" :-).

The thing is he stands on his own now for like 10-15 seconds, but doesn't try to take the step ahead. If we coax him showing some toy etc he just falls off in our direction. Its like he doesn't have any balance at all.
By Holiday, I meant YOU and only YOU go on a Holiday.

Let him realize that he will have to start walking and become more independent.
Old 26th July 2012, 15:11   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe

Not walking at 19 months may be normal, provided all other domains of his development (speech, fine motor, social etc) are normal for age.
So assuming that your paeditrician has made sure those are normal, he is right. You can give him some more time before you start worrying.
He's generally been behind the "thumb rule" standards for rolling over , crawling, teeth etc. I checked with couple of pediatricians , both said each child is different and he is ok. I guess I will give it more time and keep coaxing him to walk.
Old 26th July 2012, 20:49   #690
BHPian

Quote:

My daughter started walking within a year. When she stood by her own I got her a little expensive walker which my mother objected a lot as she wanted her to walk normally. To our surprise she started holding a Neelkamal chair and started walking while pushing it forward. The entire pushing and holding the chair continued for a month after that she walked by her own.Moreover she loved the noise which the chair made when she pushed, but it was too irritating for all of us. My daughter never even looked at the walker for a day !!!

The best thing you can do is to encourage him to walk and show him how to walk while holding things .Once he is comfortable walking while holding things, he will start on his own. I feel he is in his comfort zone (crawling) and is not looking beyond it ( Put him in engineering straight away ). Nothing to worry, enjoy his childhood. Wishing him all good health.

Most Viewed