Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 23:30   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Formula feed only when the mother milk is insufficient.
Cow milk (even watered down) is a strict no no till kid is of one year.

After the age of 6 months you can start off by starch of the rice (Boil rice in a clean vessel to get it). After that pulse water. Gradually add mashed rice and vegetables.
Old 8th September 2012, 00:45   #737
Senior - BHPian

from here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1519207

And the link

http://www.babycenter.in/baby/breast...ingbreastmilk/

The rule is every time you substitute with formula, express mother's milk. In extreme cases it may require surgery if milk stays in the glands for long.
Old 8th September 2012, 12:42   #738
BHPian

I am taking my 9 month old son on his first flight. Hence wanted to know how to carry his pram? check in or cabin?
Old 8th September 2012, 13:04   #739
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder
I am taking my 9 month old son on his first flight. Hence wanted to know how to carry his pram? check in or cabin?
Is this an international flight? Normally you take the pram in, and the flight attendants will collect it from you just before you board the flight, normally in the walkway, just before the flight entrance door. And they will give you a tag as well. Same procedure on return - collect the pram right outside after you step off the plane, so that you can conveniently get the baby to rest in the pram, and proceed to immigration and baggage clearance.

Now the return part was a bit different in India. I handed over the pram at the flight entrance in Singapore, but when landed in Cochin , the pram came through the baggage claim belt - not so convenient.

Hope this helps.
Old 8th September 2012, 13:59   #740
BHPian

Was checking some old folders,and came across this one.

My son doing a sommersault. This used to be his favorite passtime then. Has stopped doing it since. This was shot when he was 2 years old.

Old 10th September 2012, 14:46   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Now the return part was a bit different in India. I handed over the pram at the flight entrance in Singapore, but when landed in Cochin , the pram came through the baggage claim belt - not so convenient.
I think this differs by the airport in question. Quite inconvenient to get in baggage claim though, especially if the child has dozed off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
My son doing a sommersault. This used to be his favorite passtime then. Has stopped doing it since.
According to some, this is apparently quite risky to the neck area. Perhaps some doc can clarify the risks involved. Though I must admit I did a lot of this and luckily survived!
Old 10th September 2012, 16:46   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

According to some, this is apparently quite risky to the neck area. Perhaps some doc can clarify the risks involved. Though I must admit I did a lot of this and luckily survived!
I had thought the same. He has survived the phase too .

But I do feel that, since the kid has learnt it himself, without any help or force, i felt he did it safely. It looked scary at times, but he was always in control.

They say " boys wud be boys "
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:11   #743
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to put my daughter into a playschool. I am not sure if the term playschool I use is right.
She is going to be one year next month end.
I am not planning on getting her learn the tables or rhymes. All I want is that she gets to play for a hour or two with kids of her age.
My wife has resigned from job so it is not needed that the playschool extend till the whole day. A few hours will be enough.

Any good playschools in and around HSR layout in Bangalore?
Any first hand recommendations/cautions are highly welcome.
Old 2nd October 2012, 15:01   #744
BHPian

Hi all. I've been reading this thread for the last couple of months with a lot of interest. I am loving the various insights shared here!

We too are on the threshold of parenthood and have been trying to prepare ourselves for what is going to hit us soon! I am terribly excited as well as apprehensive of whether I'll stand up to the ultimate test.

I'll share this interesting piece from NY Times on raising successful children. I liked the perspective and can relate to it from all that I see around me, amongst relatives and friends.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/op...anted=all&_r=0
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:25   #745
BANNED

One of the most cherished toys (probably, the only real toy I had) was a "Meccano Set". Few pieces of metal, with round and oval kinda holes at edge, with an asortment of nuts, bolts, pulleys and requisite tools is what it was. The memories are hard and painful - the metal used to cut into my hands I used to step on the loose nuts and bolts. The bright red and green paint quickly wore off and things rusted quickly. But, heck, the thrill of having a car built by self was priceless.

I am surprised that the thing is still available, titled "the 30s vintage set".

I instead have ordered a different model = the 40 model set. My kids are still under age for the advertised (the site says for 8 years and above). Hmmm ..... I am still a kid to my parents, right??

Awaiting delivery. Hope flipkart will actually ship it. (they say "ships in 6-8 days"; so the product is obviously not in stock. The guys @ ebay (where I had ordered a differet, cheaper, set) almost cheated me - the product is not in stock and was not shipped. They did give me a call late in the evening of the last day they were supposed to ship it, apologising, and then sent a message asking for time for shipment. I was simply too upset and tired to log in and take any action. So spent another day on flipkart.

Has anybody here used / gifted <grin> these?
Old 4th December 2012, 14:47   #746
BHPian

By god's grace we have been blessed with a daughter ( now she is 2 yrs, 5 months ) and boy she is some chatterbox, her mouth stops only when she goes to sleep, bless her.

Am sure most of the guys would have done what am going to share

Children as ever as curious and observe each and every thing. So on the weekend, just to know what would be our daughter's reaction, went and put my hand on my missus shoulder ( alright lads steady now ! ).

Little one noticed this and brought the roof down , lol.Gets even better, yesterday as she was getting ready to go to play home, seeing me , she goes " daddy put his hand on mum " , jeez ! I hope she doesn't repeat this in front of relatives / friends

Happy Days
Old 19th December 2012, 21:42   #747
Senior - BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!! Is It Worth It?

I posted this on my facebook wall, and I am posting here for two reasons. First, the discussion we had earlier on this topic but second and more importantly, I am seeing a trend of taking western values directly and puttinng them in Indian society. We take the high calorie fast food but drop the physical activity, we take showbiz style sports events (IPL) but ignore the ground work done to make our children better sportsperson. and Now I see the family values are directly being copied by the youngsters. I hope we understand what's at stake here.
Quote:
With all the sadness around the Newtown incident, I have noticed arguments for and against and guns. I have also noticed discussions on mental health support system. I just hope we fix the problem, not just the symptoms or the tools. As far as guns are concerned, it's very important to note what "did not" happen because of guns just as much as what did happen as a result of gun ownership. Coming from a country where owning a gun is more difficult than owning a Ferrari (or a slave), I know that personal freedom is totally non existent when that happens, and by the way, criminals still have them. Today in my home and on streets of USA, if i can walk fearlessly, if robberies don't happen every night no matter how isolated my house is, if women can walk any time of the day (or night) in any part of the country without the fear of getting assaulted, it's because they are protected by the second amendment, castle doctrine, probably own a weapon, and all potential criminals know that. A look at any news item from New Delhi or Mumbai can prove my point. The question is which is the lesser of the evils that we choose.

Coming back to mental health situation, it's really tricky. Would a parent take chances with a child or let him/her be taken by the system and in asylum forever. It's a very difficult choice to make, unfortunately, many right choices in that regard are made in hindsight. And frankly speaking, I have little to no exposure to even talk about it.

But more importantly, there is another deeper factor we need to look at. Are we giving enough time to our children? are we passing the right values? are we giving them parental support, or are we just paying for their childcare? And do we know if they are playing black-ops in their free time and shooting people in their mind everyday anyway? I may be questioning the fundamental reason behind the success of this country where we commoditize everything, place a value on it and then make a rational decision to maximize the total productivity. Which is perfectly fine (else I will have to return my diploma to Purdue university), the problem is we fail to include the costs of intangibles, like love, emotional support, social values, community living etc. We have to look at what drives one to take such steps, what can we do to prevent that, and additionally, what deters one to not take such an action. There are many examples of this "not happening". And as far as I can see, there are mostly related to concerns for others, whether it's family or society in general, as opposed to self centered view. It's only a matter of time before the virtual assaults from black-ops kind of games become a reality, and a lonely and disturbed individual may see little or no difference executing real people. Little do they realize that the actual black-ops operative not only suffer a lot themselves while training for it, but also suffer from PTSD in spite of that training in later part of their lives, if they live thru it.

Do I have a quick solution, Nope, it will take at least a generation to fix it. Religion, family values, attitude towards society, a lot of this will have to change and work together. The society will have to go from individualistic to collectivistic form. We all love having space and making boundaries between ourselves and family/friends. and it keeps getting wider every day. Ever wonder how many get lost in that vacuum? Why we can not stand another person, even if it's our own grown children, for a minute in our personal space? Why depression, anxiety and other psychiatric issues are rising at an alarmingly high rate? Can we go back to learning tolerating each others' shortcomings and accepting? Is it even possible? I don't know, we may be on a one-way street towards social breakdown. We can talk about policing and placing armed guards and security checkpoints, but they are "after the fact" band aids. Unless we fix the problem at root, all we will see is increase in the policing expenditure until we can not afford it anymore. Am I willing to work on it? By all means.

**I had to wait a few days for the sentiments to settle before I posted my views.
Old 19th December 2012, 22:20   #748
Senior - BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!! Is It Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I posted this on my facebook wall
Thanks for the post, Vivek.

I've also had enough time to rethink my views about the whole gun policy thing and the noise people are making and some noise that i made. And i have also come to realise that that's not the real issue here. What you have said in the third paragraph is really the question what everyone should be asking and discussing.
Old 19th December 2012, 22:34   #749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I posted this on my facebook wall.
Thanks. Can you start a separate thread on this? A discussion here will be off topic, but the topic really calls for some meaningful discussion and thought sharing.
Old 20th December 2012, 14:19   #750
Oxy
BHPian

Guys, we have an 8 month old son. We are on a look out for a good day care center/creche since me and my better half are both working.

Would they take little infants? If so, are there any good ones around Whitefield?

Last edited by Oxy : 20th December 2012 at 14:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks