Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 15:13   #691
BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Was posting a pic in the images thread and landed upon this snap. This is my son nimai, when he was a year and half.

Happy go lucky . Tension free, munching a lollipop. .

Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-img_1148.jpg

And this is the same chap, today morn , after I woke him up for his playschool . Bhare naina

Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-img01949201207310816.jpg

Life is so tough , Ain't it !!
Old 31st July 2012, 15:17   #692
Senior - BHPian

My daughter started walking yesterday.
She also pushed the mandatory "Neelkamal" around for around 3 weeks.

Yesterday she started walking around 5 steps before flopping down on ground.
Old 31st July 2012, 15:41   #693
Team-BHP Support

Haircuts.

I like to keep my daughters hair really short. Easy maintenance and no sweat under the hair.
In the past 18 months, she has had 3 skinny heads.

For the fourth one, my sister used a hair trimmer she had. But it was too noisy and my daughter showed us all that she is the boss.

So any recommendations for a silent preferably slim hair trimmer.

How do you guys handle this?
Old 31st July 2012, 15:57   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
My daughter started walking yesterday.
She also pushed the mandatory "Neelkamal" around for around 3 weeks.

Yesterday she started walking around 5 steps before flopping down on ground.
Congrats. Do remember to film the moment for posterity. You may not think of it a big deal but years later you will discover the video by accident one day and you'll be amazed. Trust me- this happened with us recently
Old 31st July 2012, 16:29   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Haircuts.

I like to keep my daughters hair really short. Easy maintenance and no sweat under the hair.

For the fourth one, my sister used a hair trimmer she had. But it was too noisy and my daughter showed us all that she is the boss.

In our case, son is extremely comfortable with barbers/ hair cutting saloons.
Initially for the first few times, he was not willing to sit at all, maybe first experience was not good. But then eventually the way he was treated by other barbers was better and now he is very comfortable and so is the barber.

There are some places where they have seats in the shape of aeroplane/ car for kids. There was one in Pune and it was expensive, but worth a shot. Plus in some cases, there is option to watch cartoon as well.
Of course, all this will cost more.
Old 31st July 2012, 16:35   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Haircuts.

Bribery. Chocolates works for us .
Old 31st July 2012, 16:38   #697
Team-BHP Support

Let me clarify.
My daughter is ok with getting her haircut.
Its just that I would rather do it myself at home.

Don't want to use a razor and hence prefer a safer hand held trimmer.
Old 31st July 2012, 16:39   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Congrats. Do remember to film the moment for posterity. You may not think of it a big deal but years later you will discover the video by accident one day and you'll be amazed. Trust me- this happened with us recently
Those beautiful moments are really cherished in years to come. I have video of my daughter when she was just about to crawl, before she could start crawling she use to place both her hands and legs on ground lift her entire middle part of the body as if she wanted to start doing push ups

Now that she has started crawling and now on verge of walking, the video acts as refreshment for the entire family.
Old 31st July 2012, 16:43   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Let me clarify.
My daughter is ok with getting her haircut.
Its just that I would rather do it myself at home.

Don't want to use a razor and hence prefer a safer hand held trimmer.
Oops! I did not get your post correctly. My bad!
Old 31st July 2012, 18:11   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haircuts.

My 3 year old recently got started getting comfortable with his hair cut (I cut their hairs myself at home too).

My trick, I ask them before whether they want to look like spider man, super man, power rangers, or something else. chances are they will have a new favorite character every time. Then you tell them you are going to make it look like that and they will hopefully believe it.
Old 31st July 2012, 19:05   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess the question from BBlost was more about a silent hair trimmer since the one they have is too noisy for the child. Is the one that you currently have from Philips? Coz my colleague has one and he says its not noisy at all and has some 7 different attachments for different hair lengths. No personal experience on this front though.
Old 31st July 2012, 19:09   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
My 3 year old recently got started getting comfortable with his hair cut (I cut their hairs myself at home too).

My trick, I ask them before whether they want to look like spider man, super man, power rangers, or something else. chances are they will have a new favorite character every time. Then you tell them you are going to make it look like that and they will hopefully believe it.
Chances are that they will soon outsmart you, these days kids are quick. Oh! may be we were too like that at that age, I don't remember.

Back to topic, is 'rowdyness' specific to gender? My kid (boy) who just turned '3', starts punching and slapping if I try to warn/stop him from doing/saying something? Yes, it hurts. Earlier he used to do it just to me, and these days he does it to anyone who he thinks is objecting to what he does.
Is there something I can do to reduce such violent behavior? Or do they realise and stop as they grow older?
Old 31st July 2012, 19:33   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Back to topic, is 'rowdyness' specific to gender? My kid (boy) who just turned '3', starts punching and slapping if I try to warn/stop him from doing/saying something? Yes, it hurts. Earlier he used to do it just to me, and these days he does it to anyone who he thinks is objecting to what he does.
what is he watching on telly? most of those shows enforce that violence is acceptable, and the more that we try to discipline them, the more we get beaten up.
try to address the root cause of where he is learning those moves from and that would be a more long term solution.
Old 31st July 2012, 19:44   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Chances are that they will soon outsmart you, these days kids are quick. Oh! may be we were too like that at that age, I don't remember.

Is there something I can do to reduce such violent behavior? Or do they realise and stop as they grow older?
Well, now I don't need the tricks anymore. it's just because he didn't like the sound and feeling of trimmer earlier.

Regd his behaviour, see if people around him deal with others in a similar manner. kids learn what they see. Even TV/movies have the same effect.
Old 31st July 2012, 20:32   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Regd his behaviour, see if people around him deal with others in a similar manner. kids learn what they see. Even TV/movies have the same effect.
Probable, for the same reason we stopped watching TV while he is around and awake. Most of the time if he wants tv, it is a wild life documentary or Disney Cars. Either way it appears he picked up some aggressiveness (may be genetical ).

Anyone got balance/push bikes for kids? At what age do they graduate to a pedal cycle?
I made a light weight push bike for my kid while he was about 20 months old. He started hesitantly and picked up gradually. Then he went onto gliding from room to room and later started riding around the community roads. Once my mom took him out with this bike, and he quickly outran her. It was only after about a km or so (within the community roads) that we catch him, we were a scared lot for a few minutes.
I thought the bike was too light and so this guy was able push it pretty easily and fast too.
Here he can be seen doing some stoppies with it (rear wheel is off the tiles, but not clear in photo):
Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-stoppie.jpg
Once he fell on his back doing a wheelie and learnt a lesson not to lift the front too high. I thought it was time to get him something else. So, I went out and got him a heavier and taller one which slowed him only for sometime. Now as he gained strength and skill,he is out running even me. I have to run along to catch up. So far so good, he enjoys riding around a lot, he even outruns older kids on scooters.
My kid, about to ride out:
Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-outtoride.jpg
But my wife is skeptical that he may become too lazy to pedal unless we wean him off gliding. It was not without base, for we got him a proper cycle (with trainers):
Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences-herocoyote.jpg
He is not willing to push the pedals but tries to get off the seat (this one is taller for him) push with feet instead. I try to comfort myself (and her) that his legs are not strong enough to pedal a 10kg bike, besides it is tall for him.
I didn't speak to anyone who had first hand experience in teaching their kids ride on a push bike, but there are many reviews on net that encourage this practice.

Last edited by deetee : 31st July 2012 at 20:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks