Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2012, 20:21   #271
BHPian

re: Life's like that: Real life anecdotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What is similar sex, buddy. I know of same sex and opposite sex, but similar?
lol..big one too.... I already edited that one.
Old 1st January 2012, 22:00   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@Ninja: ^^ That was hilarious. Pretty cool that you can laugh at yourself. I suffered this fate for a while in my adolescent years when my voiced raged between shrill soprano and deep baritone seemingly at whim! Got used to random people calling me Madam. Once my voice broke, everyone mistook me for my Dad(and vice versa). At least two of my friends have addressed Dad with a bit too much familiarity, similar to your friend's experience with your Mom
For me, the opposite happened. I had once called up a friend of mine, we used to call him Qazi. So we chatted for some time -- various things like Tendulkar's innings and India's pathetic capitulation were discussed. Then, I told him about plans to watch a movie and told him that we would meet at XYZ place Saturday at 4. He said he could not make it as someone would come to see his daughter.

I realized something was amiss. Quickly we figured out that I was talking to the father of my friend. Now, of course, Qazi was their family name. And his friends too called him Qazi.

This guy is my friend from school and I have been to their house many times and knew his parents very well. (In fact, i still miss his mom's biryani on Eid). So we had a big laugh and I told uncle that he now has conclusive proof that after the voice breaking his son sounds just like him. Still quite embarrassing though.
Old 2nd January 2012, 22:32   #273
BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

This may be a bit OT but anyways here it goes,

I have been reading TeamBHP for sometime now however, been reading this thread only for the last few days, this has made me more cautious & alert.

I have recently moved to Bangalore (did my schooling here though) and while I am waiting for my car to be delivered, I take either autos or the bus to work.

So I get on this auto on Bannerghatta road to go to South End Circle (not a familiar route for me), and the driver looks fine, late 20's probably, started the meter, drove off smoothly. I check my google maps to make sure he is going the right way.

Then suddenly he asks me, Do you know Kannada? (In kannada), Thats the only bit of kannada I understand and can reply back to, so I reply back saying 'No I dont' (In kannada)

Then he asks, so you are not from around here, where are you from? (in broken hindi), I say I am from North India.

'Do you know Hindi?' I say 'Yes'. 'Do you know English?' I say 'Yes'.
These questions are kinda raising my 'remain extremely alert' alarm, I put my phone in my pocket, clutch on to my bag and look at him carefully. He is still driving 'cool'ly'.

Then suddenly, he slows down, goes to the left of the road. I am waiting for his next move, he turns back and guess what? Gives me his phone

On the phone I see a text message written in poorly constructed english in edit mode.

So basically the deal is, he explains, that he had a 'fight' with an ex-girl friend of his (who is now married) who he hasn't spoken to for the last 10 months and now he wants to wish her and her family for new year's. Turns out 1st is also her birthday. He wants me type out the message for him in 'perfect english' (probably so that she gets impressed and leave's her husband for Mr. Shakespeare over here).

I know its off topic and am sorry for that, but I just though I'd share this experience with everyone.

Last edited by superutp : 2nd January 2012 at 22:47. Reason: Reduce Smiley's
superutp is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 09:46   #274
BHPian

This incident happened a long time ago; 50 years to be precise. In 1962, due to Indo-China war, a young migrant laborer from Gorakhpur, lost his job in a Delhi factory. He boarded a train with his 1.5 years old son and pregnant wife.

Barely 50 KMs outside Delhi, due to some reason, the train stopped and didn't move for next 36 hours. He was a poor laborer and wasn't carrying much to eat. When hunger became unbearable for his wife and kid, he got down and went to a farmer who was farming nearby. He asked him for some food which the farmer gave. While he was having food, farmer asked him questions about him and when he came to know that the laborer was returning to his home town, he offered him a job in his farms.

He stayed back, worked in those farms, had more kids. The farmer insisted that his kids go to school and both his sons and both his daughters completed their 12th. Farmer helped the elder son in getting a job as a peon in a Govt. department and the younger one as a lab assistant in a school.

Time passed, the farmer died; but the migrant and his family stayed associated with his family. The younger son (lab assistant) had a son who was very bright in studies and got through IIT.

Yesterday I got a call from an unknown number, he told me that he was the son of Chheetar Singh from Pilkhuwa and wanted to meet me. I asked him how his engineering was going and told him that I was not in Delhi but in my home town - Bulandshahr. He said, he will come there. And after about 3 hours reached there.

He brought a packet of sweets for us and told me that he had got a job in one of the semi-conductor giants. He was carrying three bags with him, I asked him why, and he told me that he had come directly from Kharagpur. I asked him why he didn't go to his place first and put those bags there. He replied that his father had asked him to come to me first and then only to his home. I was truly overwhelmed with this respect and loyalty.

P.S. The migrant - Ramsuresh died two years ago at the age of 70. His family no longer works for us, but whenever we are in our village, sons' wives would come to our place and would take care of all our needs.

Last edited by ntomer : 11th January 2012 at 09:48.
ntomer is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 14:08   #275
BHPian

ntomer, very touching story. The farmer is your father, right? He had obviously touched people's lives in a very positive way.
Old 11th January 2012, 14:53   #276
Senior - BHPian

A few days back, my friend narrated a joke. Before he could complete, I squealed in delight, "Ah ha! You have been Condored!". Full of pride,I looked around for appreciation and a pat on the back. But all I got was have-you-lost-it? looks.

*Face palm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We need to get Condored included in Oxford dictionary to avoid such situations in future.

I am all for it. No more face palm moments for me. I am sick of it.

Note: Please delete the post made below. Forgot that I could still edit this post.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 11th January 2012 at 15:09.
sachinj12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 15:06   #277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
A few days back, my friend narrated a joke. Before he could complete, I squealed in delight, "Ah ha! You have been Condored!". Full of pride,I looked around for appreciation and a pat on the back. But all I got was have-you-lost-it? looks.

*Face palm*
We need to get Condored included in Oxford dictionary to avoid such situations in future.
Old 11th January 2012, 15:06   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
ntomer, very touching story. The farmer is your father, right? He had obviously touched people's lives in a very positive way.
He was my grandfather. This happened 50 years ago :-)
Old 12th January 2012, 12:33   #279
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
A touching story, wish we could impact lives in this manner in our lifetime and make an impact.
Old 12th January 2012, 15:08   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Touched man! And congrats to the young chap too.
Old 12th January 2012, 22:45   #281
Senior - BHPian

A biker's honeymoon phase with car:

I am presently learning driving on my own car. Today while going at slow speed, I saw a truck coming towards me, leaving heavy clouds of smoke behind. As has been my practiced ritual, I took a deep breath, held it inside, and waited for the truck to pass me. When it did, it took me by surprise that I wasn't surrounded by smoke cloud and my eyes are not watery. Then I realized I am sitting in a car with windows rolled up, and no more on a bike!
ani_meher is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 22:39   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
A biker's honeymoon phase with car:
Well, when I am in the car, I often sing in a very loud, extremely tuneless voice, with words in the lyrics that I often replace with something like dhichuk or pichuk, because I am unable recall what the original ones were.. And I often find myself starting to do that whenever I am on bike these days.
I also often point, snigger and curse other motorists/road users/buildings/birds behind the privacy of my car's tinted windows.
Yesterday morning I was patiently waiting for the signal to turn green at Nal Stop , wherein a Mr.Smarty Pants in a Dzire decided that waiting was for dummies and confidently drove ahead. Straight into the jaws of 5 cops waiting on the other side. This filled me with immense glee and in my usual style, I exclaimed in a robust voice "Haha.... SUCKER!!" , only to find fellow road users starting to stare at me. I quietly closed my helmet's lid and was never glad-er about the signal turning green, as I realised why.

This incident was narrated to me by a friend at work. As some of you know, Pune city is visually littered by ugly flex boards put up by petty politicians for equally petty reasons. Something like this :

Life's like that: Real life anecdotes-hoardings_f.jpg

Now multiply these by 10,000 and put them up at every single street corner there is in the city. Each group (which is infact, a gang) tries to outdo its rivals.
One politician even put up a flex board for Steve Jobs!
So anyways, once the election code kicked into effect, the sarkar ordered all flex boards in the vicinity of the Corporation to be removed and the task was assigned to a few municipal workers. With great vigor and gusto , these chappies went and promptly removed their first and only hoarding , one that was commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Indian National Anthem , along with a prominent picture of its author, Rabindranath Tagore.
When a passerby asked them why they removed this hoarding in particular and not of other "strongmen" , they promptly replied "Christmas is done na saar... why do we need his (pointing to Tagore) boards now??".

source of the example picture
sajo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 15:24   #283
Senior - BHPian

The below was my exit interview with my HR, who is a real nut-case. She really was not a good listener. She might have mugged up a series of questions and suggestions which is just bombarded on you despite of what your answer is.

KR is her and VS is me.

KR: "So why are you resigning?"
VS: "Well, it so happe...."
KR: "You should think again about the steps you are taking!"
VS: "...nned. Wha..? Oh ok, well act..."
KR: "How can we retain you?"
VS: "...ually, I have thou..."
KR: "Whatever offer they are giving, we can negotiate on it"
VS: "...ght about it. Eh? Wha..."
KR: "If you continue here, I can see you becoming the Director"
VS: "...t ??? WOAH!!!"

I gave up after that! After that last statement, I just nodded in agreement and disagreement here and there, signed the exit forms and left.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 16th January 2012 at 15:27.
_raVan_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 15:33   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
The below was my exit interview with my HR, who is a real nut-case. She really was not a good listener. She might have mugged up a series of questions and suggestions which is just bombarded on you despite of what your answer is.

KR is her and VS is me.

KR: "So why are you resigning?"
VS: "Well, it so happe...."
KR: "You should think again about the steps you are taking!"
VS: "...nned. Wha..? Oh ok, well act..."
KR: "How can we retain you?"
VS: "...ually, I have thou..."
KR: "Whatever offer they are giving, we can negotiate on it"
VS: "...ght about it. Eh? Wha..."
KR: "If you continue here, I can see you becoming the Director"
VS: "...t ??? WOAH!!!"

I gave up after that! After that last statement, I just nodded in agreement and disagreement here and there, signed the exit forms and left.
ROFL!

yeah, that's the usual carrot-on-a-stick routine. once you stay back and ask for the carrot, they say what carrot?
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 16:31   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
ROFL!

yeah, that's the usual carrot-on-a-stick routine. once you stay back and ask for the carrot, they say what carrot?
That too, such a carrot of being made a DIRECTOR to a small time developer like me!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks