Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2012, 12:18   #346
BHPian

re: Life's like that: Real life anecdotes

This story goes back to the time when me and my friends were more interested in seeing the co-passenger's name in the reservation chart than us. So now you know what we always tried searching. But fate was always cruel to me and my friends who regularly traveled from Chennai towards Howrah in chennai howrah mail, and we never had a chance to travel with any girls near us in the train .

Then comes one day when me and one of my friend were travelling from Delhi to Chennai after our last semester project. The routine check on the reservation check and we were shocked. We were travelling with 6 girls ( one block has 8 seats in regular sleeper class). Then we checked our names to ensure we are looking at the correct one. Yes, we found our names also. Boy this is Jackpot and we were just so happy for the next 34 hours long journey. My friend even went and changed his T Shirt to appear K(c)ool.

Then we go and occupy our seats and just wait. The comes the time, our cubicle is filled with girls and there were like 12-13 of them who sat in 2-3 blocks along with 2 teachers and we were speechless. Now ask why ?

All of them were university weight lifters and wrestlers who were going to participate in some XYZ level competition. My friend looked at me and I looked at him. We both got the shock of our lives and did not speak to each other for a while. Next 34 hours passed by in the respective upper berths and near the gate of the compartment !!!!
sam_boy is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 10:39   #347
Senior - BHPian

The other day I was accompanying my dad on a late night drive in my dad's friend's Tata Indica. It was him behind the wheels! He was a perfect bad driving and showed signs of a bad driver, ie cutting lanes, driving almost on the middle of the road, not dipping lights for the oncoming traffic. But the weird thing was that ; whenever he sees an oncoming bus or truck he would dip his lights in a matter of microseconds!

Klub Class : Why are you driving on full beam and not dipping the lights for oncoming traffic, say bikes, scooters, cars and likes?
Dad's friend : You see, I generally dip the lights only for trucks and buses. What if they come and run over us?
Klub Class : Well, what if bikes and cars run over us?
Dad's friend : (laughs at me) Hmmm, they'll somehow manage to find their way rather then getting hit by me.

Klub Class :
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 10:44   #348
Senior - BHPian

You must be knowing about the vb script love/crush calculators which will send an email from your ID to the ID mentioned in the script with the message A loves B.

Now there is this new girl in my team and she kind of excitedly sent me this VBS. I thought I will give it back to her and put my name and her name in the application when sought.

Only to realize later that the dumb girl did not change the email ID to her's in the script and the message that "anil loves XXXXX" went to the person who sent her the script. This is sincerely hoping he is not her boy friend!
anilisanil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 11:57   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Only to realize later that the dumb girl did not change the email ID to her's in the script and the message that "anil loves XXXXX" went to the person who sent her the script. This is sincerely hoping he is not her boy friend!
dude, for your general well being, I hope the 'xxxx' is your wife's name.
Else, I hope that it does not reach someone your wife knows. (Always think of the trail - quoted from a Friends episode)
Else... my (rare) prayers are with you!

You hit your leg on the axe or hit the axe on your leg. 'Same difference' ,no?!
^^

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th February 2012 at 12:10.
Old 16th February 2012, 12:04   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought I will give it back to her and put my name and her name in the application when sought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
dude, for your general well being, I hope the 'xxxx' is your wife's name.
Else, I hope that it does not reach someone your wife knows. (Always think of the trail - quoted from a Friends episode)
Else... my (rare) prayers are with you!

Well, I am sure it does not reach my wife, but looks like I will have to discuss this with her this evening!!
Old 17th February 2012, 01:17   #351
Senior - BHPian

around 10-12 years back, we used to get Reader's Digest(RD) at home. We completed a quiz and sent it hoping we would win some reward.

Some days later, while we had completely forgot about that, we get this letter from them saying you have won a Camera. Just send Rs. 500 money order and you will get a brand new Canon camera.

My mother and brother got excited and started filling out the application and got everything ready. I and dad were not too happy. Thought it would be some scam. But their argument was, RD is very popular, they won't do such scam. And promptly it was sent to an address in Delhi.

Eagerly awaiting arrival of package, one day Post man came with a big box that looked like our lottery and everyone was excited. My brother in excited said to the postman(regular guy) that the box has a camera which we won for just Rs. 500. And he started laughing saying its all hogwash. Better open it and check if indeed it is. Sometimes its just an empty box.

We ripped it apart and found a smaller heavier box. Thought since its heavy there has to be something good. On opening, lo and behold, there was a Camera. Looked absolutely real with lens, controls, Canon name on top and a film roll on the side from Kodak. Turns out it was a plastic camera body with some stuffing inside to make it heavier and the roll was a duplicate too.

Everyone was angry and i couldn't stop laughing by the way we were duped. Learnt a very important lesson. Never to mess around with such stuff. No surprise that a week later got another mail from same address saying, we have won a Refrigerator.

Last edited by chevelle : 17th February 2012 at 01:33.
chevelle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 01:59   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, I am sure it does not reach my wife, but looks like I will have to discuss this with her this evening!!
deny knowledge, show concern, offer assistance/co-operation.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 10:02   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You must be knowing about the vb script love/crush calculators which will send an email from your ID to the ID mentioned in the script with the message A loves B.

snip

this is the reason why they say review the code before moving into production
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 13:50   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Turns out it was a plastic camera body with some stuffing inside to make it heavier and the roll was a duplicate too.
This reminds me of an incident which happened in the nearabouts of my engineering college back in 1996. I was going through Kashmere gate market (near ISBT Delhi) and a young boy (aged 8-10 years) approached me with a walkman saying that he was desperately in need of money and wanted to sell it. It was a good Sony model and at that time, value would have been around 2k. Initially we ignored him, but as we wanted a walkman, I gave him an offer of 100 bucks. He went away and then gave a counteroffer of 400 bucks. The deal was finally settled at 200 Bucks. Then in front of us, he wrapped the walkman in newspaper and handed it over to us. As we walked away happily thinking that we got a walkman for 200 bucks, we opened the newspaper after walking 10 yards and found a block of wood inside, exactly the same size, shape and weight as the walkman. We turned around and by then the boy was long gone. Sometime in the wrapping process, he had substituted the walkman with the wooden piece and give us the wrapped wooden piece!

Morals of the story:
1) Even a young boy can teach you a lesson for 200 bucks, which you will never forget
2) Never buy stuff off the road!
3) Younger generations are much smarter than the older ones (us!)

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 17th February 2012 at 13:52.
Old 17th February 2012, 14:20   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
As we walked away happily thinking that we got a walkman for 200 bucks, we opened the newspaper after walking 10 yards and found a block of wood inside, exactly the same size, shape and weight as the walkman. We turned around and by then the boy was long gone. Sometime in the wrapping process, he had substituted the walkman with the wooden piece and give us the wrapped wooden piece!
Looks like this idea is still in business. I remember reading an article in the newspaper a couple of weeks back about a techie in Pune conned this same way. maybe it was a laptop or an iPhone, not sure.
must have good sleight of hand
Old 17th February 2012, 14:58   #356
Senior - BHPian

Even after so many years, the human psychology to get something cheaper is still the same. We have someone who bought Aria just because of discount and me too just bought a T-Jet + as massive discount being offered.
Old 17th February 2012, 15:32   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Looks like this idea is still in business. I remember reading an article in the newspaper a couple of weeks back about a techie in Pune conned this same way. maybe it was a laptop or an iPhone, not sure.
must have good sleight of hand
Oh yes, he went all the way. Not only did he emptied his ATM balance, but for paying rest money, he went to jewellers and bought some jewellery costing the balance amount using credit card (about 40k).

IIRC, it was a laptop and and iPad that he was buying. He had checked them and all. Later while handling over, the guys asked him to open the dickey and put the goodies there themselves. Later he realized he had bought very costly piece of stones and woods!
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 17:07   #358
BHPian

Hi everybody
After reading a few con anectdotes am reminded of what Barnum Bailey famously said
"A sucker is born every minute"
Regards
Old 29th February 2012, 08:48   #359
Senior - BHPian

Cutting a pretty long story short, never tell your wife she is wrong. Because if she is, you wont be getting dinner that night
Old 29th February 2012, 14:10   #360
BHPian

That sounds more like a real life tragedy than a real life anecdote.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed