Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 21:54   #2506
BHPian

A thought just came across: why not compile and rate the movies on the basis of what reviews are above:

The Classics - Top 5 or 10 movies (rating /5)
Thrillers - Top 5 or 10 movies (rating /5)

Horror - Top 5 or 10 movies (rating /5)

Comedy - Top 5 or 10 movies (rating /5)

Car chase movies - Top 5 or 10 movies (rating /5)

Action - Top 5 or 10 movies (rating /5)

Sci-Fi - Top 5 or 10 movies (rating /5)

War - Top 5 or 10 movies (rating /5)

Documentary - Top 5 or 10 movies (rating /5)

Cartoon - Top 5 or 10 movies (rating /5)

What say??
Old 5th August 2010, 11:10   #2507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
And this time its "Paranormal Activity". A movie that was shot on a camrecorder, shot in 7 days, on a wafer thin budget. Its scary as hell by the way!!!
I did mention it a while ago I think. Not that scary (until the last scene) and not much fun to watch (if you know the kind of fun a horror movie should have - not just weird sounds/jump scenes ). If you really want to watch a scary yet tastefully made horror movie with great acting and cinematography, watch El Orfanato (The Orphanage)
Old 5th August 2010, 11:55   #2508
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'Inception' yesterday. Lovely movie. I will probably watch it again. I thought I had cracked the story until the ending happened.

Looking forward to Predators. Hope it does some justice to the 1st movie.
Old 5th August 2010, 12:07   #2509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
I did mention it a while ago I think. Not that scary (until the last scene) and not much fun to watch (if you know the kind of fun a horror movie should have - not just weird sounds/jump scenes ). If you really want to watch a scary yet tastefully made horror movie with great acting and cinematography, watch El Orfanato (The Orphanage)
And for that matter even Grudge1 and Grudge2. I have seen many Japanese horror movies(with Subtitles of course) and none of them dissapointed me.
Old 5th August 2010, 14:55   #2510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
And for that matter even Grudge1 and Grudge2. I have seen many Japanese horror movies(with Subtitles of course) and none of them dissapointed me.
Yes! The Grudge is one of the best horror movie in recent times. Very well made. I'm referring to the hollywood version directed by Shimizu! In comparison I feel that The Ring was a tad overrated.

I recently watched "The Beyond" directed by Lucio Fulci. This movie was made in the good old 80's, when most horror movies were innovative and scary. Though the scares are tame by today's standards (we've seen it all), the sadistically innovative ways in which each character is killed are fantastic. Fulci had a thing for mutilating people's eyeballs ( The eye torture scene in Hostel was a nod to Fulci). There is a particular scene in this film which involves a jar of acid. Believe me guys it's deliciously horrible. If you're a horror movie fan, give Fulci a try!
Old 6th August 2010, 15:01   #2511
BHPian

Saw The Messenger (2009/I)

Awesome movie
4/5
Old 8th August 2010, 17:31   #2512
Senior - BHPian

Watched Inception. One of the best movies i have ever watched!
The concept is simply unreal, like a dream!

The ending looked simple at first, but there can be multiple interpretations. I think it goes in a loop, like memento.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 8th August 2010 at 17:34.
Old 8th August 2010, 20:45   #2513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Punisher: Warzone (2008)

This is even better than previous two Punisher ('89 and '01). Its a dark action movie and it gets gory at times. The bad guys playing Billy and James are quite good and has a perfect role to act as villans for punisher.

The opening scene is super. Sets the tone for the entire movie. For those who love violent, gory action movies this is a must watch. Same goes for Punisher fan. Well i have become one after watching this

4/5
+1. Watched the movie this afternoon.

Awesome action movie that i am seeing after a long time.

As rightly said the villians Billy and James are simply too good. James plays the crazy nut character to a T

Watching this series for first time. Now to dig out the older versions. Hope they are good as well?

4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Watched Inception. One of the best movies i have ever watched!
The concept is simply unreal, like a dream!

The ending looked simple at first, but there can be multiple interpretations. I think it goes in a loop, like memento.
Going for this movie tonight 10:45pm show in IMAX with a few tbhpain's.

I know i am painfully late. Excited to see it
Old 9th August 2010, 07:33   #2514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
+1. Watched the movie this afternoon.

Awesome action movie that i am seeing after a long time.

As rightly said the villians Billy and James are simply too good. James plays the crazy nut character to a T

Watching this series for first time. Now to dig out the older versions. Hope they are good as well?

4/5
Indeed, its a good action movie. The crazy nut's introductory scene was quite gory. Eating human flash.

Since you have started with this one, i am not too sure if you will like the older versions. But yes, they are good in their own place. Each time the reason to become the punisher is same but the circumstances are different which is good.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:22   #2515
Senior - BHPian

Watched Inception last evening.
One of the best movies i have watched in recent times.
Old 9th August 2010, 13:19   #2516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Watched Inception last evening.
One of the best movies i have watched in recent times.
What time? 7 TBHPians watched "INCEPTION" last evening 10:45pm show in IMAX.

It was a wonderful experience. Fast paced, amazing concept, blink and you will miss the story line type of complex stuff.

It took me quite some time to get the hand of the movie's concept and when it caught on, it was simply superb and was pretty much easy to understand when the characters are in a dream and when in reality.

Actually, most of the time the characters are in a dream and much less time in reality.

Loved the look and feel of the movie and all characters were well suited for thier respective role. However, didnt understand what that suitcase with those wires that enable you get into a dream. That should have been explained a bit more in detailed. Is that equipment available in real life? if yes, where can i buy one?

Like most of you didnt understand the last scene when he unites with his kids. Was it a reality or a dream as the totem kept spinning on the table. Maybe planned that scene to taper off for a sequel.

It's an altogether director movie and all characters are mere puppets. I would have prefered Matt Damon for the lead role.

Also, did anyone notice that Joseph Gordon Levitt looks a lot like Heath Ledger? ( Christhoper's fixation with Heath?) and after a long time i saw a guy so damn well dressed on a movie screen. His suits and shoes ( definetly looked hand-made) were the most dashing that i saw in a long long time. I reckon all those lovely suits probably came from Savile Row.

Even the Japanese and Cillian Murphy's suits were awesome.

Great movie watching experience but, this type of movies cannot be watched again and again like some movies you can watch.

4/5
Old 9th August 2010, 13:26   #2517
BHPian

Saw inception last week. Everyone on my FB seemed to raving about it!

Overrated orgy of meaningless special effects, one dimensional and poorly drawn out characters. Gr8 idea...but pooor and simplistic execution. Unnessarily dark and very badly directed.

Matrix meets Alistair Mclean meets Dark Night!

I am betting on the movies popularity to come down as time passes.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please avoid typing in SMS Language also please take the time to use proper punctuation & avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th August 2010 at 00:06. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 9th August 2010, 13:54   #2518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What time? 7 TBHPians watched "INCEPTION" last evening 10:45pm show in IMAX.4/5
Same time, i was in the second row ( from the screen).
Old 9th August 2010, 13:55   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Gr8 idea...but pooor and simplistic execution.
Agreed! That pretty much sums up how I felt about the movie as well. It could have been much better!

Watched Predators on Friday. This movie is for fans of the original movie. However, it's doesn't match the glory of the 1987 Predator. It's a decent film, not too bad and much better than the AVP crap!

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th August 2010 at 00:03. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 9th August 2010, 14:45   #2520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post

I am betting on the movies popularity to come down as time passes.
While i usually don't follow how good the movie is doing on imdb, this is one movie, I have noticed, which is not losing its popularity since the week it released.

The case being, after i watched it, i kept on eye on rating on imdb when it was rated 9.3 by 25k votes. while the votes have increased to 135k, the rating has decreased by just 0.1 to 9.2 and stands at # 3 all time box office hits.

Which imo, terrific.

And you may have guessed it by now, that i am clearly not in agreement with your view about how bad the movie is. Because I feel its the combo of Nolan as a writer and a director that elevates this movie to a new high. But you are entitled to your opinion and i have no qualms about it.

P.S: I haven't voted on imdb yet since i am not registered. And i don't intend to.

Last edited by chevelle : 9th August 2010 at 14:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks