Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 16:10   #2521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
While i usually don't follow how good the movie is doing on imdb, this is one movie, I have noticed, which is not losing its popularity since the week it released.

The case being, after i watched it, i kept on eye on rating on imdb when it was rated 9.3 by 25k votes. while the votes have increased to 135k, the rating has decreased by just 0.1 to 9.2 and stands at # 3 all time box office hits.

Which imo, terrific.

And you may have guessed it by now, that i am clearly not in agreement with your view about how bad the movie is. Because I feel its the combo of Nolan as a writer and a director that elevates this movie to a new high. But you are entitled to your opinion and i have no qualms about it.

P.S: I haven't voted on imdb yet since i am not registered. And i don't intend to.
Had it not been so hyped, i might have thought it is an average movie. However given the hype i found it particularly poor.

As for numbers, i meant 3-4 years rather than 3-4 weeks for judging the movie. Still........... its stuck at 74% at metacritic and has not broken into 90's (87) on Rotten T. And they are much better indicators of movie popularity/reviews than IMDB
Old 9th August 2010, 18:01   #2522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Had it not been so hyped, i might have thought it is an average movie. However given the hype i found it particularly poor.

As for numbers, i meant 3-4 years rather than 3-4 weeks for judging the movie. Still........... its stuck at 74% at metacritic and has not broken into 90's (87) on Rotten T. And they are much better indicators of movie popularity/reviews than IMDB
The Website - 'Rotten Tomatoes' is just like its name - rotten . As i said, i don't believe any of these websites until i have seen the movies. If i were to be believing rotten T, I would have never known a movie like Punisher: Warzone exists since it has only 26% on Rotten T. Which imo is one of the very good action movies.

Let's see, 3-4 years, that's a long time. But i am sure, just as Dark Knight is talked about even after 2 years+, inception won't be far behind.

While i have been warned by mods for discussing inception, i still don't get it what you found so poor about the movie. May be you saw something in the movie which i haven't noticed even after watching it 2-3 times.

I guess just as Matrix is a milestone in Hollywood, in years to come inception would be a milestone too. Just like Avatar is for 3D.

As for judging the movie, i am more concerned about how the movie is to me, just as it is to producer and director in terms of money earned.

On a Side Note: Julia Roberts has adopted Hinduism. Apparently, she was influenced while shooting her upcoming movie 'Eat Pray Love'

Last edited by chevelle : 9th August 2010 at 18:06.
Old 9th August 2010, 22:33   #2523
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Wolfheart;2018160]
Quote:
Saw inception last week. Everyone on my FB seemed to raving about it!
Gr8 idea...but pooor and simplistic execution.[/quote]

Agreed! That pretty much sums up how I felt about the movie as well. It could have been much better!

Watched Predators on Friday. This movie is for fans of the original movie. However, it's doesn't match the glory of the 1987 Predator. It's a decent film, not too bad and much better than the AVP crap!
+1 to PREDATORS.
A good decent timepass.
Am glad i watched this and not Eisha.
In fact the movie has good action scenes and is fast paced so you cant get bored.

Rating-3/5

Also very few people had not liked Inception. In my circle almost none. For me it was brilliant.
Old 9th August 2010, 22:58   #2524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Overrated orgy of meaningless special effects, one dimensional and poorly drawn out characters. Gr8 idea...but pooor and simplistic execution. Unnessarily dark and very badly directed.

Matrix meets Alistair Mclean meets Dark Night!

I am betting on the movies popularity to come down as time passes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Quote:
Gr8 idea...but pooor and simplistic execution.
Agreed! That pretty much sums up how I felt about the movie as well. It could have been much better!

Watched Predators on Friday. This movie is for fans of the original movie. However, it's doesn't match the glory of the 1987 Predator. It's a decent film, not too bad and much better than the AVP crap!
went to see Inception with a lot of excitement but was disappointed. Felt like i was watching Matrix without KungFu all over again. Plus there were so many loop holes / mistakes in direction and story line.

2.5/5
Saw PREDATORS yesterday. Liked it overall, felt the starting 15-20 minutes were repetitive but then got to know why it was

3.5/5

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th August 2010 at 00:04. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 9th August 2010, 23:12   #2525
Senior - BHPian

Well people not liking 'Inception' is ok - everyone has different taste in movies and what might appeal like a great movie to someone might be just a good movie for others.
In my case, I really do not think 'Titanic' is that great a movie.
But calling 'Inception' as 'pooor and simplistic execution' and 'Matrix without KungFu' certainly does not do justice to the film/director/actors.
Can anyone please provide examples of couple of loop holes in direction/storyline?
Old 10th August 2010, 08:32   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
But calling 'Inception' as 'pooor and simplistic execution' and 'Matrix without KungFu' certainly does not do justice to the film/director/actors.
Can anyone please provide examples of couple of loop holes in direction/storyline?

I am with you in this. I have seen Inception twice in the theatre and the more hard i try to find a flaw in it, the more it justifies itself after some time. This is a very intellectual movie coming from the brains of Nolan who gave movies such as prestige, memento, insomnia (Apart from the Superhero flick from the same mind). I am pretty much sure there are people with different tastes who didnot like the other movies(prestige,mem) as well.

The original idea of Inception,dreams and its analysis,(the amount of thought put on it) is bang on target. A good credit to background score by Hans Zimmer. ( If you watch batman;inception next time keep your ears wide open)

OT: I watched Prestige; Insomnia after Inception.

Review : Prestige The whole movie is was still wondering how did Christian bale performed that magic and why the hell he could not remember which knot he tied. For answers and some mind bending watch the Prestige. Stunning acting by both the dark knight and wolverine and the evergreen Michael Caine.

Rating: 4/5

Review : Insomnia This one though directed by Nolan, still puts that mysterious halo all around when two detectives end up in Alaska to solve a murder case of a teenage girl and when they meet an accident. Excellent job by the villain and the scene in the investigation room was superb.
Watch it to have all the fun Nolan style.

Rating: 4/5
Old 10th August 2010, 13:56   #2527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Well people not liking 'Inception' is ok - everyone has different taste in movies and what might appeal like a great movie to someone might be just a good movie for others.
Though I feel that Inception is a good movie, I don't think that it lives up to all the hype. The movie is marketed as a cross between the Matrix and James Bond. I think that such a comparison isn't fair to the Matrix nor to Inception!

I have posted this earlier that the major flaw is the long and dragging narrative. The fight sequences with the projections, especially the one in the snow watered down all the excitement that the first half of the movie built. I felt that it was pointless and just inserted due to commercial considerations. I also found the Eames character very annoying (maybe it's the actor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
A good credit to background score by Hans Zimmer. ( If you watch batman;inception next time keep your ears wide open)
I noticed while watching the movie. Loved the background score for Inception. Liked The Dark Knight's score even better!
Old 10th August 2010, 14:19   #2528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Though I feel that Inception is a good movie, I don't think that it lives up to all the hype. The movie is marketed as a cross between the Matrix and James Bond. I think that such a comparison isn't fair to the Matrix nor to Inception!

I have posted this earlier that the major flaw is the long and dragging narrative. The fight sequences with the projections, especially the one in the snow watered down all the excitement that the first half of the movie built. I felt that it was pointless and just inserted due to commercial considerations. I also found the Eames character very annoying (maybe it's the actor).
I wouldn't even in my wildest dream compare inception with Matrix or James Bond. Both are excellent in their own ways.

Long and dragging narrative is not a flaw. Its how suppose to be in the movie. The dreams which lasts more than the reality. May be that's why you found it long and narrative.

Regarding the fight, projections were suppose to be furious against the dreamers and designers and that's what is shown. So i think its perfectly acceptable. You may consider it commercialization or pointless, but it forms a part of story and it was essential to have fight near a protected fort/castle.
Old 11th August 2010, 09:34   #2529
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'The Hunting Party' on Pix yesterday. The film stars Richard Gere and Terence Howard as two wartime reporters who are on a mission to interview the most wanted man in Bosnia (and maybe capture him too). The film is partly based on true events.

I'd give a rating of 4/5
Old 11th August 2010, 09:53   #2530
Senior - BHPian

Caught 'Predators' yesterday in a night show after office.
Worthy sequel to the 'Predator' - with a few homages to the original film thrown in a-la Robert Rodriguez style .
I would rate this #2 in all the Predator franchise movies.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:53   #2531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Watched 'The Hunting Party' on Pix yesterday. The film stars Richard Gere and Terence Howard as two wartime reporters who are on a mission to interview the most wanted man in Bosnia (and maybe capture him too). The film is partly based on true events.

I'd give a rating of 4/5
Simple but entertaining movie. I loved it

Rating: 3.5/5
Old 11th August 2010, 15:55   #2532
Senior - BHPian

Just saw The Dark Knight again and i was blown away by the Late Heath Ledger. Awesome performance.

So i decided to see all his movies as a tribute to him.

Started with Two Hands (1999)

Its an Australian movie and its simple and neat. There is some humor and love story against the backdrop of crime.

The funny thing is, the gangster in the movie wears shorts while the gangster in hollywood wears suits most of the time.

Its a good watch, a must watch for Heath's fans and overall a decent timepass crime flick.

3.5/5

Next up: The Order
Old 11th August 2010, 17:26   #2533
Distinguished - BHPian

Last few days caught up on a couple of movies

"The Gran Torino" starring Clint Eastwood

Its the story of a grouchy war veteran living in a LA neighbourhood full of vietamese and how his grouchiness turns towards affection towards his neighbour's family and how he helps them is the gist of this story.

Superb acting my Clint and like someone already said, he grows better by age just like Wine.

Btw, i didnt like the ending, it could have been happier

4/5

"The Batman Begins" starring Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson and rest of the gang from Inception

After getting blown away, decided to loop back with CN older movies just like Chevelle is doing for Heath Ledger.

Having seen Prestige and Dark Knight, was equally impressed with this movie.

This movie describes the begining of how Christian Bale dons the avatar of the Batman and thus the saga begins.

Has anyone notices, Christian Nolan's movies have a lot of similarity in following :-

1) color tone
2) background score
3) Magnamity of certain scenes

Its really worth the watch but, Dark Knight was more taut and gripping.

3.5/5

P.S: Next in line is " Sherlock Holmes"
Old 11th August 2010, 17:29   #2534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Last few days caught up on a couple of movies

"The Gran Torino" starring Clint Eastwood

Superb acting my Clint and like someone already said, he grows better by age just like Wine.

Btw, i didnt like the ending, it could have been happier

4/5
+1 to that. The ending could have been much better, but lovely acting by Clint Eastwood.
Old 11th August 2010, 18:11   #2535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

"The Batman Begins" starring Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson and rest of the gang from Inception

After getting blown away, decided to loop back with CN older movies just like Chevelle is doing for Heath Ledger.

Having seen Prestige and Dark Knight, was equally impressed with this movie.
To be honest, i am also going through CN older movies too. Like yesterday i saw Insomnia again, today it was Dark Knight, tomorrow it will be Batman begins and then some more.

I am actually going parallel with CN's movies and HL's movies.

And yes, the dark knight is awesome, taut, gripping, lambo and mv augusta (drool) as well as action.

yes, i have noticed, inception and dark knight has similar background score.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks