Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2009, 14:55   #1321
Senior - BHPian

I agree, I too am a fan of Kevin Spacey & he is such a versatile actor.

Saw this movie last night

The Taking of Pelham 123

As most have mentioned nothing great in the movie, if it wasnt for this duo people wouldnt have even bothered going to the theaters. I am amazed why did they even bother doing such an average story. There were so many things wrong, may be it was the script or may be it was the novel itself, who knows.

2/5
Old 5th November 2009, 16:01   #1322
Senior - BHPian

^^^
I watched Pelham 123 last month. I kind of liked the movie.

Though i am still searching for the original one. Anybody care to share the leads is most welcome.

Thanks
Old 5th November 2009, 16:07   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Watched - Spy game

Summary by IMDB -

Quote:
CIA operative Nathan Muir (Redford) is on the brink of retirement when he finds out that his protege Tom Bishop (Pitt) has been arrested in China for espionage. No stranger to the machinations of the CIA's top echelon, Muir hones all his skills and irreverent manner in order to find a way to free Bishop. As he embarks on his mission to free Bishop, Muir recalls how he recruited and trained the young rookie, at that time a sergeant in Vietnam, their turbulent times together as operatives and the woman who threatened their friendship.
Good to watch and quiet gripping at times.
Pitt is quiet impressive as a CIA agent.
Rating - 4/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-501935.jpg  

Old 5th November 2009, 17:03   #1324
BHPian

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-master_and_commander_the_far_side_of_the_world_verdvd.jpg

Loved the movie, in particular, the character of Captain Aubrey (Russel Crowe). Footage of exotic species in Galapagos were breathtaking. Hope they were real.

My rating: 3.5/5

IMDB Summary:

Quote:
During the Napoleonic Wars, a British frigate, HMS Surprise, and a much larger French warship, the Acheron, with greater fire power, stalk each other off of the coast of South America. Russell Crowe brings great intensity to the role of Captain Jack Aubrey. Lucky Jack, as he is referred to by his crew, is well regarded by his men, who trust him implicitly, even after the first devastating battle and an apparent personal vendetta against the French captain. While the naval battle sequences are quite fantastic, the film is successful because director Weir chose to build the story to get to know the men who are locked aboard the tight quarters of a small ship and how they interact everyday. The officers and the mates are well-known by the time the final battle comes. Paul Bettany offers a strong performance as the surgeon and naturalist who balances the violence of his chosen life with the quiet demeanor of the scientist. He is the captain's friend and confidant, the two frequently playing violin and cello duets together. The horrors of the injuries from the war are frequently implied, but vividly depicted in the reactions of the characters.
Old 5th November 2009, 17:49   #1325
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" Starring Georgle Clooney, Drew Barrymore, Julia Roberts and Sam Beckwell

This story is set back in 60's where Sam is a wanna be television producer. He is approached by George to become a Spy and as Sam's career progresses, he mixes his television career with spy activities.

I beileve this is George Clooney's first directorial venture. It's a darn complex, long and confusing movie

Sam Beckwell is the main character and he did a fine job. But, overall the movie is those oscar types where you don't comprehend much.

If you miss it, you won't be missing much

2/5

P.S: Been a while, saw some action movie.Lined up "Black Dawn" starring my fav Steven Seagal next
Old 6th November 2009, 11:30   #1326
BHPian

guys i have been following thread regularly and i have been seeing 90% of the movies mentioned here.
blade runner was strongly recommended especially for panny 8,but was disappointed or did i miss anything.
revolver- left me confused.
flawless-starring demi moore-gripping movie-i would rate 3.5/5.
saw knowing(2009) starring nicolas cage-a sci-fi thriller-4.5/5. the end of the world scenes were a treat to watch.
keep up the good work guys.

Last edited by drbabuanand : 6th November 2009 at 11:35.
Old 6th November 2009, 12:46   #1327
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Black Dawn" Starring Stevan Seagal and Tamara Davies

Steven is an ex-CIA agent penetrating into a terrorist group and for a while you dont know who's side he is on.

Taut storyline, decent cinematography, good acting by some of the antagonists and decent action sequences make this movie quite watchable.

Only regret is we dont get to see Steven in any hand-to-hand combats which i adore. This movie is all about pistols and machine gun firing.

P.S: Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention, Tamara is indeed an eye-candy

3.5/5
Old 6th November 2009, 13:57   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Saw 'Pulp fiction' .
Its a classic no doubt. I am becoming quiet a big fan of Quentin Tarantino!
Don't miss this if you had already like me!
Rating - 4.5/5

Summary by IMDB -

Quote:
Vincent Vega and Jules Winnfield are two hitmen on the hunt for a briefcase whose contents were stolen from their boss, Marsellus Wallace. They run into a few unexpected detours along the road. Marsellus is out of town, and he's gotten Vincent to take care of his wife, Mia. That is, take her out for a night on the town. Things go smoothly until one of them makes a huge error. Butch Coolidge is a boxer who's been approached by Marsellus and been told to throw his latest fight. When Butch ends up killing the other boxer, he must escape Marsellus. Pumpkin and Honey Bunny (not their real names) are two lovebirds/thieves who have decided to rob the restaurant they're currently eating at. But the restaurant doesn't turn out to be as easy as the other places they've robbed.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-pf_caratula.jpg  

Old 6th November 2009, 13:58   #1329
BHPian

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-esotsm.jpg

Jim Carrey is unbelievable in a serious role but he pulls it off well in this grand jigsaw puzzle of a movie. This is one movie which definitely needs repeat viewing to really understand what is going on. The basic premise of the movie is that science has found a way to selectively erase unwanted (bad?) memories from one's brain. The question the movie poses to the viewer is, does this act of erasing memories make one's life better?

My rating: 4/5
Old 6th November 2009, 14:40   #1330
BHPian

i watch like 2 hollywood movies a day nowadays. i swear to god i do. i have so much free time these days. i just graduated!! looks like i have hit the holly grail of the movies threads .

btw watched : two weeks notice - starring hugh grant and sandra bullock. loved it. 4/5 rating. imo.
Old 6th November 2009, 15:36   #1331
Senior - BHPian

Saw Nothing to Lose (1997) yesterday..nice feel good movie, will make you feel good in the end. Martin Lawrence is funny as always..please watch.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-155890834x.01.lzzzzzzz.jpg  

Old 6th November 2009, 15:52   #1332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Saw 'Pulp fiction' .
Its a classic no doubt. I am becoming quiet a big fan of Quentin Tarantino!
Don't miss this if you had already like me!
Rating - 4.5/5

Quote:
Vincent Vega and Jules Winnfield are two hitmen on the hunt for a briefcase whose contents were stolen from their boss, Marsellus Wallace. They run into a few unexpected detours along the road. Marsellus is out of town, and he's gotten Vincent to take care of his wife, Mia. That is, take her out for a night on the town. Things go smoothly until one of them makes a huge error. Butch Coolidge is a boxer who's been approached by Marsellus and been told to throw his latest fight. When Butch ends up killing the other boxer, he must escape Marsellus. Pumpkin and Honey Bunny (not their real names) are two lovebirds/thieves who have decided to rob the restaurant they're currently eating at. But the restaurant doesn't turn out to be as easy as the other places they've robbed.
Summary by IMDB -
This is one multi-threaded movie I didn't really understand. Why multi-threaded?

First thread: Vincent Vega and Jules Winnfield are two hitmen on the hunt for a briefcase whose contents were stolen from their boss, Marsellus Wallace.
Second Thread: Marsellus is out of town, and he's gotten Vincent to take care of his wife, Mia.
Third Thread: When Butch ends up killing the other boxer, he must escape Marsellus. Vincent is waiting for him in his apartment and gets shot by Butch.

How can Vincent be everywhere when all happen on the same night? Even though Butch kills him, he is hale and healthy eating breakfast at the restaurant in another thread.
Old 6th November 2009, 15:55   #1333
BHPian

I am not sure Samurai (as I watched it a long time back) but the movie is edited differently - as in your multiple threads are shown to you (the viewer) not in the same sequence that they happen..the time-zones change too when the threads change.
If you got what I was trying to say :
Old 6th November 2009, 21:30   #1334
BHPian

I just finished watching The House of the Devil (obtained from an unmentionable source). It is a suspense/horror flick getting rave reviews but I found that the better part of the 1.30 hours is used in building up the tension for a rather short climactic sequence.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-houseofthedevil.jpg
Old 6th November 2009, 21:40   #1335
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai- Phew!! nice to know I wasnt the only one who felt this way for Pulp Fiction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks