Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 16:36   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Thanks for the review. Am avoiding this one. What about Poppins and Chettayees?
Poppins is a complete letdown. Heard mixed reviews about Chettayees.
Old 21st December 2012, 17:53   #422
Senior - BHPian

I Love Me- The movie starts with Ram Mohan (Anoop Menon) who's a high profile businessman, bringing two criminals- Savvy (Unni Mukundan) and Prem (Asif Ali) from Kochi to Bangkok to kill someone, so that he can save his sinking business empire. Around 10 minutes into the movie, we understand that this movie is going to be an average one, at best. The suspense element in the plot is what gets us glued to the screen till the end. Anoop Menon excelled in his role. Unni Mukundan looks macho and was good in fight scenes. His dialogue delivery needs to be improved (not sure whether if its his original voice). Performance of Asif Ali and heroine Isha Talwar was just ok. BGM was quite bad and almost spoiled the mood of the film. Script could have been better. This would have been one interesting watch if it was presented as a racy thriller. Direcctor B Unnikrishnan failed to execute it in the right way.

My Rating- 5.5/10; Watch it for timepass.
Old 21st December 2012, 18:04   #423
Senior - BHPian

Da Thadiya- This is the story of a 20 something old big fat boy! The movie shows certain happenings in his life over a period of time. Sekhar Menon is quite impressive as the 'Thadiyan'. He's got huge screen presence (obviously) and his acting is also ok. Srinath Bhasi has done a good job as thadiyan's cousin and best friend. Nivin Pauly deserves special applause for playing a role which is quite different from his hero image. Ann Augustine appears as hero's girlfriend. She fits in t the role well. Ann needs to work on her malayalam diction, which is more on the manglish side. Shyju Khalid's Cinematography was excellent. Songs and BGM was good and goes well with the overall theme. Script is well written. It starts off as a simple story but later addresses some socially relevant issues prevailing in our society. Dialogues were good and there were some catchy one-liners too. Last but not the least, a word about the real hero, the drirector, Aashiq Abu - Superb; Hats off to you dude.
Thanks a lot Aashiq Abu and team for this awesome movie.

My Rating- 8/10. I feel like watching it once more.
Old 27th December 2012, 17:09   #424
Senior - BHPian

Karmayodha:-

Positives:
- Socially relevant theme
- Mohanlal

Negatives:
- Screenplay
- Dialogues
- Direction
- Casting

My Rating- 4/10
Old 4th January 2013, 17:22   #425
Senior - BHPian

Karmayodha:

The basic premise of the story is taken from Taken However, the director has tried to show how such crimes take place in India (how mobile phones are used to trap young girls etc). Mohanlal carries this movie on his shoulders with his performance - although the role is hardly challenging for him. The other characters are not given much importance. With a running time of just above 2h, the film is crisp and there aren't many irrelevant scenes. The film does have a socially relevant message. It will scare you a bit if you are a parent to a girl child. Better not to take small kids below 10 along with you to the movie unless you are prepared to answer lot of questions. My rating: 7/10.

Da Thadiya:

The film is basically "old wine in new bottle" - but the new bottle is very well packaged. The film is much like Salt N' Pepper which also told a very simple story in an engaging way. The dialogues are simple and quite enjoyable. Sekhar Menon has done well and Sreenath Bhasi is very good. Nivin Pauly seemed very stiff or maybe that's what the director demanded from him for the character. Ann Augustine is OK. The film isn't too long and moves along at a good pace. I felt the ending is appropriate. My rating: 7.5/10
Old 4th January 2013, 19:06   #426
Senior - BHPian

Annayum Rasoolum- Cinamatographer turned director Rajeev Ravi has tried to make his first directorial venture a special one but unfortunately failed to succeed! The main problem of the film is its duration. The 3 hour long movie should have been reduced to atleast 2 hours. The movie is narrated in a slow paced manner. Its a simple love story of a Muslim boy and Christian girl; There isnt anything extraordinary in the storyline and director has concentrated more on its presentation side, which hasn't come out well. Fahad Fazil was superb and he proves that he's a versatile actor by potraying a role which is way different from his usual metrosexual roles. Director Aashiq Abu makes his debut as an actor as Fahad's brother and director Ranjith does their father's role. Andrea has done her role well. Sunny Wayne and other actors gave good support. Songs are good and refreshing. Editing could have been better.

My Rating- 4/10.
Old 5th January 2013, 15:20   #427
Senior - BHPian

Nee Ko Njaa Cha- Its a movie made by the youth for the youth!
It starts with the introduction of 3 firends. One of them breaks up with his girlfriend and then the 3 friends plan a trip to Goa for a change. Some unexpected events happen at Goa.
Sunny Wayne who made his debut as Dulquer's friend in Second Show is the hero. I never expected that he would have had these many fans just by doing a couple of movies. The whole theatre were clapping during his intro. He looks the part and his acting is also impressive. Almost all other lead roles are done by new comers and they've done their roles well. Songs were bad and disappointing. If there were some good songs, it would have really helped in the promotion of this movie. Background Score is good though. 1st half is very interesting and has some good dialogues and witty one-liners. 2nd half could have been better. Some scenes may leave the audience confused. Eventhough there are some flaws in script and direction, debutant director Gireesh has managed to present the movie as a good entertainer.

My Rating- 6.5/10. Worth a watch if you go without much expectation.
Old 11th January 2013, 11:12   #428
BHPian

Watched the malayalam movie, Friday, recently. Amazingly directed simple movie. Unbelievable it is actually the debut movie for its young director!!

Fahad was superb. He looks so natural as a konkani brahmin. Way to go young man. You are our brightest star!!
Old 19th January 2013, 22:02   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Romans (റോമന്സ്) - 4/5. MUST WATCH!

Romans (റോമന്സ്) : Clean entertainer. All the actors did a wonderful job. My pick of stars is T.G.Ravi. Audience pick was Biju Menon. He has handled the comedy role so naturally. Refreshingly fresh standard comedy. Don't dig too much into the story or the logic - there are flaws, but you don't bother it during the show time. What stood out was the BGM by Bijibal. STUNNING right from the opening credits till the end (though you might find a bit of similarity with 'Venicile Vyapari BGM'). My rating - 4/5. MUST WATCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Watched the malayalam movie, Friday, recently. Amazingly directed simple movie. Unbelievable it is actually the debut movie for its young director!!..
To be frank, I felt this movie had nothing on offer. I felt that the funda of too many stories connected by a string has lost its appeal now! In "Traffic", it was a fresh concept. This idea was adopted by every tom, dick and harry in the Malayalam industry & screwed it up now. Fahad did really good, but the movie was quite directionless is my take.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th January 2013 at 22:07.
Old 31st January 2013, 18:33   #430
Senior - BHPian

Vishwaroopam- I thought I'd give it a miss since the basic plot, Terrorism, wasn't to my liking. But after hearing good reviews from friends, I decided to check it out. Woah! It would have been a loss if I had missed it. I felt like watching a hollywood movie. Its Kamal Haasan's one-man show. He was good as the kathak dancer; the way he uses his eyelids, the way he walks etc were so natural. Then he transforms to another level, which is again, a treat to watch. Heroine Pooja Kumar has done a fair job but her dubbing was not that good. Andrea was cool in her brief role. One think which impressed me was the characterisation of the terrorist chief. Rahul Bose makes his presence felt through his subtle acting and mannerisms. The afghanisthan scenes in the first half could have been a bit trimmed; felt some lag there. Cinematography and Editing were excellent. Music and BGM was nice. The whole story is revealed in the first half itself and still we sit at the edge of the seat for the remaining part. Kamal Haasan has presented a movie with good content in an engaging and entertaining way. There isn't a proper ending since there's a sequel coming. Waiting for Vishwaroopam-2....
My Rating- 8/10; Must Watch.
Old 31st January 2013, 20:47   #431
BHPian

Good to hear the review from you, unfortunately we are not able to view this due to the ban, waiting for the release in big screens with Auro sound effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Vishwaroopam- I thought I'd give it a miss since the basic plot, Terrorism, wasn't to my liking. .........Waiting for Vishwaroopam-2....
My Rating- 8/10; Must Watch.
Old 31st January 2013, 23:34   #432
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread(NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Saw Viswaroopam. Something new to Indian context but not the best or anything close to best out there. It's a spy thriller barring an unnecessary song.

An undercover RAW agent and his efforts to neutralize an Al-Qaeda militant sleeper cell trying to blast a cesium bomb in NY forms the core of the story. The protagonists' efforts on the same and his past link with the bad guys are shown in a somewhat technically brilliant way, with takes similar to vantage point.

There are NO controversial scenes in the film as i observed. It's just a technically OK film dealing with a subject that is happening around the world as we speak.

3.5/5 (Not a 4 because of the song)
Old 2nd February 2013, 13:21   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Bavuttiyude Namathil
I had plans to skip this movie since I had a feeling it's just another dragging movie. But to my surprise, it turned out to be an entertainer.
Coming to the actors, Mammotty played yet another brilliant role. So did Shankar. But best of the lot would be Kavya Madhavan. Absolutely simple but portrayed the character really well. Rima did her role but wasnt all that great. A good storyline with excellent direction.

Rating - 8.5/10 (A must watch)

Romans
Call it a comedy thriller and it turns out to be one. I wouldnt say it's an excellent movie but worth the cash. As always, Biju Menon is brilliant here. He made the movie entertaining. Kunchacko, Lalu Alex, TG Ravi did their role really well. Niveda was a bit disappointing as she always had this grumpy face throughout the movie. Would prefer some better face here.
The suspense at the end was kind of ok but not surprising.

Rating- 8/10 (Watchable)

Kammath & Kammath
Why? That's the question I asked myself when the movie was over. I had great expectations but the movie was a complete letdown. Baburaj was the only guy that made me watch the movie although he just had only couple of shots to entertain. Dilip is going down the drain with his PJ's and Mammotty too had his share there but he was better of the lot. I think he portrayed the character well. The konkani accent is too much in the movie which kind of irritates after an hour. Rima did her role well in this movie. Karthika had her share too which was done well (just ok).

In Short - Lot of action, Lot of slow motions and frame by frame scenes and songs instead of comedy.

Rating - 4/10 (Avoidable)
Old 2nd February 2013, 16:51   #434
Senior - BHPian

Lokpal- Its another version of '4 the people'. Mohanlal, who runs a coffee shop, is an one man army (Lokpal) who fights corruption. He steals from the corrupted govt officers and polititians. As expected, SN Swamy's script doesn't have anything new to offer and Joshiy's usual making style couldn't do any miracles either. Mohanlal does his role well. His make up was quite bad and was like fancy dress. Kavya Madhavan's acting and dubbing is another major drawback. Its sad to see a senior heroine showing this kind of unprofessionalism in her work. The only notable performance were that of Shammy Thilakan and Saikumar. Ratheesh Wega's music disappoints. BGM was unnecessarily loud and useless.
My Rating- 3/10; Avoidable.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:59   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Vishwaroopam

Yet another brilliant performance by Kamal.He did his role as expected and the initial bit as a Kathak dancer was way too brilliant. As Anand pointed out, he looked like a professional dancer. Rahul Bose was brilliant too so was Naser although he had just couple of scenes. Excellent BGM and Cinematography although some graphics were bad.

But the overall movie came out well and there were couple of scenes in which the whole theatre applauded Kamal's performance.

Rating - 8.5/10 (Definite Watch)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks