Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2015, 20:05   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Watched the film last weekend in Fun cinemas. I was surprised when I tried booking in other multiplexes only to find all were booked to capacity.

Hats off to excellent cinematography by Lance Kaplan and William David. Anup Bhandari's lyrics and melodious music by Loknath are outstanding.

Kannada film industry needs more films like 'Rangi Taranga'
I am not a Kannadiga, but have basic fluency and understanding in the language due to my 15 years stay in the city. This was the first Kannada movie I watched in theatre and I totally agree with the above assessment. This is one movie we should watch and encourage. Music, camera work, locations were outstanding. Some loose ends here and there, but one of the best original thrillers I have seen in recent times. Compared to this movie I would say Premam was an absolute disaster. I am drawing parallels since both were made by youngsters. I am simply amazed by the talent of this guy Anup Bhandari. He is the lyricist, music director, director and the writer.

Last edited by poloman : 31st July 2015 at 20:15.
Old 31st July 2015, 20:18   #782
Senior - BHPian

Bahubali (Tamil)- 4/5 . Awesome work for an Indian one. I guess i loved it coz I watched it in 4k @ SL Ariesplex theatre. Its a proper big screen film. They over did Tamanna's part in my humble opinion. Waiting for part 2!.

Chandrettan Evideya: 3.5/5 . Good comedy and I think Dileep/Anusree did a good job.
Old 31st July 2015, 23:15   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
'Rangi Taranga' (Kannada + a bit of Tulu) - part paranormal, part psychological thriller. And how well has the art form of Yakshagana been woven into the story!
A must watch.
Very, very interesting. I no longer frequent theaters and don't understand Kannada that well, but will definitely watch this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Compared to this movie I would say Premam was an absolute disaster. I am drawing parallels since both were made by youngsters. I am simply amazed by the talent of this guy Anup Bhandari. He is the lyricist, music director, director and the writer.
High praise indeed! I was planning to watch Premam when I go to Kerala next month, but your words give me pause. Must be really good knowing the hype around Premam, I would say.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 31st July 2015 at 23:18.
Old 31st July 2015, 23:32   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

High praise indeed! I was planning to watch Premam when I go to Kerala next month, but your words give me pause. Must be really good knowing the hype around Premam, I would say.
I didn't mean to dissuade any one from watching this movie. But I belong to the school of thought which believe Malayalam films in general have been losing their charm in the last 5 years or so. May be this is a generation gap problem. If you subscribe to this view you will be disappointed watching 'Premam'.

Last edited by poloman : 31st July 2015 at 23:38.
Old 31st July 2015, 23:40   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I don't meant to dissuade any one from watching this movie. But I belong to the school of thought which believe Malayalam films in general have been losing their charm in the last 5 years or so. May be this is a generation gap problem. If you subscribe to this view you will be disappointed watching 'Premam'.
Grew up in Bombay, lived abroad for long, now living in Bangalore for last 10 years. I have no idea where I am from. I even find it bemusing when people bracket me as a Mallu as I was born in Kerala.

Understand you perfectly well and know your concerns

That's perhaps why I give your review a considered opinion.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 31st July 2015 at 23:43.
Old 1st August 2015, 07:44   #786
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Grew up in Bombay, lived abroad for long, now living in Bangalore for last 10 years. I have no idea where I am from. I even find it bemusing when people bracket me as a Mallu as I was born in Kerala.

Understand you perfectly well and know your concerns
In your case you may not find the movie very appealing. It works perfectly for those who did their schooling, university in Kerala. Even though I finished my studies before the era shown in the movie, I could still so well identify with the incidents shown in the movie. And another thing I liked is the way its edited. The movie just flow in its own pace but never felt any lag.

On a side note, I thought my parents may not enjoy the movie but they were laughing out through the show
Old 1st August 2015, 12:19   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Found it dragging and silly in most parts. Someone forgot to use scissors properly, looks like. A movie, no doubt, meant to launch the lead actor into the "star" club.
'Malar' was the saving grace.
Very interesting to see your comment because this is almost exactly what I felt as well. I too found it silly and highly amateurish. But then I guess it may be because I am too old for all these New Generation movies. Having said that though, I had really enjoyed Bangalore Days and Om Shanthi Oshana. In the case of Premam I was only relieved that in the end I blew only 100 Rs having seen it at Trivandrum (the old favorite... Sree Viskah) instead of the 150 + I would have spent at PVR at Lulu Kochi where I was planning to see it initially. Oru Vadakkan Selfie I thought was only slightly better.

Also watched Love 24 x 7. Much better than the other two although much more could have been done with the concept.Definitely watchable though although one did wish seeing his pathetic acting, they could have got some one else other than Sasi Kumar to play that elderly doctor role.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th August 2015 at 11:14. Reason: Typo
Old 8th August 2015, 10:48   #788
BHPian

Watched two Marathi movies recently:

Killa - A story about a boy and his mother moving to a small town in Konkan after the father's death and trying to adapt to the new life. The Konkan region is beautifully shot in this movie.
Rating - 4/5

Fandry - It shows the racial and class discrimination still prevalent in our society. It's a story of a young chap struggling with hopes for a better life.
Beautiful background score too.
Rating - 5/5

Loved both of them. The story is so subtle yet moving. The attention to detail and the acting by the cast really makes us wonder why do we waste our money on the moronic Bollywood fare with third grade acting.
Old 8th August 2015, 11:12   #789
Team-BHP Support

Oru Vadakkan Selfie - 4/5

Great story, loads of hilarious moments but the concluding sequence put me off completely! Felt robbed of the 2 hours and 20 mins of the movie! Nivin Pauly has been bagging some great roles off lately - Neram, 1983, Om Shanthi Oshana, Bangalore Days, Premam.

How good is Vikramadityan, Mili and Ivide?
Old 8th August 2015, 14:19   #790
BHPian

Have not watched Ivide but I liked both Vikramadithyan and particulalry Mili, Both are definitely watchable, There is nothing particularly great in Vikramadithyan, it is a simple commercial movie but it will keep you engaged for two hoursl

Mili has a much more serious and socially relevant theme. Nivin Pauly is in this one too but the main draw is the great portrayal by Amala Paul.

Between the two, I would suggest you watch Mili. I have reviewed this earler in the same thread (#708)

Last edited by TKMCE : 8th August 2015 at 14:24.
Old 8th August 2015, 14:29   #791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
How good is Vikramadityan, Mili and Ivide?
Ivide is good but a little slow. Will like it if you are a Prithvi fan. Nothing extra ordinary but not a typical Malayalam movie . Point to note is that movie is 75% in English and prithvi does not know Malayalam . Does a pretty good English accent. Nivin was average and seemed outside his comfort zone.

I liked it.
Old 20th August 2015, 22:21   #792
Senior - BHPian

Loham (Malayalam) :: The Ranjith-Mohanlal movie enjoyed a lot of pre-release hype and publicity and just like most of these movies which comes with lots of expectations, this one too disappoints! The first half was kind of good with Lalettan's lovely mannerisms and all that surprising elements thrown in. The interval punch was brilliant, making us wait for something extra ordinary in the second half; And that's where everything went wrong. The script itself lacks clarity. There are atleast a hundred characters in the movie and most of them felt like unwanted ones, without any identity at all. Sidhique was the only actor who got something to perform and as usual he has done his role well.

Overall, Loham is nowhere near the Ranjith-Lal combo standards but still watchable if you go without any expectations.
Old 20th August 2015, 22:35   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
'Rangi Taranga' (Kannada + a bit of Tulu) - part paranormal, part psychological thriller. And how well has the art form of Yakshagana been woven into the story!
A must watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Watched the film last weekend in Fun cinemas. I was surprised when I tried booking in other multiplexes only to find all were booked to capacity.
+1. Watched it 10 days back. Could not get tickets for 2 weekends before that. It would have been a big loss if I had given it a miss.

It was thoroughly entertaining. The setting, the story etc. were great. The lyrics get a special mention here - in pure Kannada (and Tulu) unlike most of the songs these days. A must watch for people who understand Kannada.
Old 21st August 2015, 19:38   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
+1.

It was thoroughly entertaining. The setting, the story etc. were great. The lyrics get a special mention here - in pure Kannada (and Tulu) unlike most of the songs these days. A must watch for people who understand Kannada.
I wanted to watch this movie Unfortunately they have not released this movie in Mumbai/Pune . :(

Kiran
Old 21st August 2015, 20:20   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post

Overall, Loham is nowhere near the Ranjith-Lal combo standards but still watchable if you go without any expectations.
Disappointed. Was expecting a cracker of a movie. How would you rate it against something like Baba Kalyani? (Comparison because that was an investigative thriller where Mohanlal was at his charismatic best)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks