Team-BHP - Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/59432-suggestions-team-bhp-team-bhpians-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainscooper
It is extremely unfortunate I have to make 50 ridiculous posts . If not, I will just give up on this forum! :mad:

Buddy please try and relax.the rules are there for a reason. i am sure once you get to know the rules even u will agree with the 50 posts rule.

Mods please explain ....
Thanks

MODS : this thread should go to shifting gears, or we should have a forum to discuss about the site

Coming back to the question of newbie rights, I sort of agree with brainscooper. The reason is that most members which have been banned due to abusive language, etc., etc,. have been bhpians. In some cases even "Senior-Bhpians"

If we do not want to have newbies post to some sections, then atleast bring down the required post level to 20-25 rather than 50.
Such restrictions result in newbies posting "What car queries" in "Indian car section" etc.,

Another solution could be that some forums where we do not want newbies posting could be moderated. i.e. on making the post it will appear to public only when one of the mods approve it. With one or the other mods always online, this will make the delay acceptable. When a newbie has proven not to be a spammer, the moderation thing for that user can be removed, or after default 20-25 posts the moderation can be removed

Wouldnt it be better if I wrote one good piece of review and then left the site, rather than 50 pieces of "I agree" just to get through this restriction, and then posted nothing!?

If you find someone spamming ban him. Dont stop others from giving good reviews. I was planning to write a review on both the Ford Fusion, which I own, and which is not decently reviewed here (at least as far as I could figure out) as well as the Fiesta, and found that I could not do so in the appropriate forums!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979

Another solution could be that some forums where we do not want newbies posting could be moderated. i.e. on making the post it will appear to public only when one of the mods approve it. With one or the other mods always online, this will make the delay acceptable. When a newbie has proven not to be a spammer, the moderation thing for that user can be removed, or after default 20-25 posts the moderation can be removed

I think this is a workable solution...if we assume that every visitor is a thief, we will soon have no guests coming home.

On the other hand, brainscooper - most of us here (me included) have gone through that newbie phase without actually noticing the restrictions...so we really need to look at where the problem is.

Well, as far as this topic is concerned, I'd suggest you PM one of the moderators and find a solution to your problem, I do understand all this could get frustrating at a point but thats the only way, bro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979
MODS : this thread should go to shifting gears, or we should have a forum to discuss about the site

ya i too think its high time we have a separate thread where we can adress a few issues about the forum..

Quote:

Wouldnt it be better if I wrote one good piece of review and then left the site, rather than 50 pieces of "I agree" just to get through this restriction, and then posted nothing!?

I agree, but your case is more of an exception than the rule. The system thats currently in place does help deter would-be spammers, but like you said it also keeps some good guys out.

Quote:

. I was planning to write a review on both the Ford Fusion, which I own, and which is not decently reviewed here (at least as far as I could figure out) as well as the Fiesta, and found that I could not do so in the appropriate forums!

Please wait while the issue is looked into by the mods. The issue you have raised is real enough, but its no cause to run away from the forum! I know you're a very active contributor at mouthshut, so we definitely wouldnt want to turn away a potentially active contributor.

Another option ...

Maybe for the sections which are out of bounds for newbies, there could be an option to submit a request for a new thread (such as @brainscoopers reviews), which the mods approve and then post ..
The new user may then edit posts in his/her own thread, although the rest of the section may still be out of bounds till 50 (or whatever) posts ..

BHPians,

We appreciate the suggestions. Though the support team will take 24 hours to discuss the various possibilities, this message is to inform you that we have taken note of your feedback.

GTO

Team,

As per the suggestions / comments :

1. The "What Car?" and "Reviews" section has been opened up to the newbies.

2. In response to another common suggestion, the PM box size has been increased to 25 for both - Newbies and BHPians.

GTO

that makes a lot of sence...good work GTO and all the mods...keep it up guys.

Rev

Quote:

I was planning to write a review on both the Ford Fusion, which I own, and which is not decently reviewed here (at least as far as I could figure out) as well as the Fiesta, and found that I could not do so in the appropriate forums!

Brainscooper,

Nothing is set in stone here and we are always listening to our members and accomodating their views and requests.
Every so often a member comes along with a wealth of info, but without the ability to post in "reviews" etc due to their newbie status.
You could just send a PM to the mods with the review and we would be glad to "upgrade" you, as we have done a couple of times in the past with members like you who wish to contribute quality reviews.

cya
R

Hi mods,
First thing, make this thread sticky, or move it to annoncements section etc., I searched for this thread by finding all threads started by GTO in Shifting-gears section. So a stick thread will definately help.
Second thing I was wondering about is the "shoutbox". I have seen vBulletin message boards like the one at pagalguy.com(mba forum) that they have something called shoutbox at the top of the page on the main page. here members can do a sorta html chat. Every time you post, the frame refreshes, so no fancy java stuff required either. Can we enable such functionality in team-bhp forums also?

Read through all the old posts on this thread TSK, you'll find the answer to your question there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Team,

As per the suggestions / comments :

1. The "What Car?" and "Reviews" section has been opened up to the newbies.

2. In response to another common suggestion, the PM box size has been increased to 25 for both - Newbies and BHPians.

GTO

These were the two things that I thought were not right when I first joined Team-BHP, but now they have been taken care of... A special thanks to the Moderators for this and I would also like to thank the person/ people who started a wonderful forum as Team-BHP for us Indian car enthusiasts.

I have just one small suggestion, nothing really important, but still... Changing the really large emoticons to smaller ones that say the same thing as the big ones not only take up so much space, but also end up spacing out the next line (the line after the line where the big emoticons are used) in a big way. eg: LOL emoticon, I'm Sorry emoticon etc.