Team-BHP - Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/59432-suggestions-team-bhp-team-bhpians-13.html)

The entire support team is discussing the introduction of new levels for members. If found feasible, this plan shall be implemented. While we are about it, we would like all members to try and concentrate on quality rather than quantity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf
How does it help? or what extra does that reveal? as long as we have the number of posts mentioned and the title !

Just a psychological promotion!rl:
Also, most other web forums has similar slabs based on post count.

lately there have been a few threads that are vaguely titled, giving no idea as to what the thread-starter wants to depict - there isn't a hint as to the contents of the thread.

i will not mention them unless specifically requested but i think the moderators understand what i'm trying to put across.

my suggestion is to put forward something similar to this - Howard Forums - ETIQUETTE

ad

Quote:

Originally Posted by finneyp
Can all of us have a Signature against our ID mentioning our - Name, Place, Car brand & Model etc.

Finneyp,

We considered your suggestion, but we decided against it -
- Location is already mentioned fyi
- Car & brand etc - we would rather just use TBHP Garage
- Name - some people do not wish to mix their online ID with their real life ID. A thread for this exists if you want to know members real names. Also go to meets!
- And as it is the left column with this info is usually longer than the average 3lined post, so we dont want to make it any larger

Quote:

Originally Posted by aah78
a few threads that are vaguely titled, giving no idea as to what the thread-starter wants to depict

Believe me aah78! You do not know exactly how many of these there are as i spend a good chunk of my time on TBHP renaming threads!!

Quote:

10. Please title threads accurately in order to represent the subject matter they contain.
I have added this line to the board rules.
Members - Please read the rules, and make this effort to title your threads

cya
R

Quote:

lately there have been a few threads that are vaguely titled, giving no idea as to what the thread-starter wants to depict - there isn't a hint as to the contents of the thread.
Aah78

Tell you something nifty about our forum software - Try hovering your mouse over the title of any thread and you will see the first few words of the opening post come up without even opening the thread in question. Works like a charm in I.E. and Opera.

This should tell you more about the topics.

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan
Believe me aah78! You do not know exactly how many of these there are as i spend a good chunk of my time on TBHP renaming threads!!

i can imagine what a pain that must be!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Aah78

Tell you something nifty about our forum software - Try hovering your mouse over the title of any thread and you will see the first few words of the opening post come up without even opening the thread in question. Works like a charm in I.E. and Opera.

This should tell you more about the topics.

GTO

yes, i'm aware of that feature - always use it!

thanks guys, for making this forum what it is.... i've said this before and i'll say it again - can't stress enough what a great job you guys have been doing!
my computers are never Off, and the only website window which is always displayed is Team-BHP - no exaggerations....

the forum is pretty neat. or should i say the most neat one in india. And since I dont have any good suggestions to make, I'll go a bit OT and concentrate on Aditya' signature. Nice one!

i have an idea for getting tbhp noticed. members with their own websites can put a link that leads to the home page so it will show up better in google results because google ranks based upon the number of sites linking to a particular site. so even if the link is the same colour as the background it will still work without actually showing up on the actual website unless you want to show it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by heelntoe
i have an idea for getting tbhp noticed. members with their own websites can put a link that leads to the home page so it will show up better in google results because google ranks based upon the number of sites linking to a particular site. so even if the link is the same colour as the background it will still work without actually showing up on the actual website unless you want to show it.

Hey Heelntoe,

That is a very useful idea indeed.
The more links we have pointing to www.team-bhp.com on other sites, the higher our google rankings get, and therefore more people get to know abt TBHP!

The same colour as background trick is a good one!

Check out this thread -
Team-BHP Banners for Your Personal Websites!

cya
R

Folks,

How about putting up a new sub-section within "Buckle Up - Street & Travel Experiences" to separate trip reports, routes and the like from the not so good (and sometimes gory) stuff?

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by airfoil
How about putting up a new sub-section within "Buckle Up - Street & Travel Experiences" to separate trip reports, routes and the like from the not so good (and sometimes gory) stuff?

:thumbs up

I had suggested exactly that some time ago, and we are considering it.

Thanks,
R

Hey there, Admins / Super-Admins.

Firstly, I'd like to thank you all for the excellent job you guys do - taking time out of your presumably busy lives to maintain the forum. The level of quality information on this site is really good.

However, I have a bone (lower arm...??!! :p) to pick with the various levels of membership available on the forum.

I've been a member since January 2005, & have spent a bit of time visiting the forum. I have made posts as I deemed necessary, when I felt I had an opinion on a particular topic. My total posts 'till date are around 25-30 (can't be sure).

I've also told may other friends & contacts of mine, who in turn became members & added members themselves, giving the advantage of increased popularity & visibility to the forum.

Getting to the point, my current membership level is still that of a "Newbie", which bugs me quite a bit. I agree, I've only made some 25 odd posts, but like I mentioned earlier, I only posted where I felt I had something to contribute, other than stuff like "great car", "want one" "superb job", etc. etc." as commonly seen.

The reason why this bugs me is because I've been stymied twice due to my status. I tried to add some snaps of my new baby to the BHP Garage section & also wanted to sell my alloys but could not do so, due to my being a "Newbie".

While I understand & agree that there's no point in a brand new member adding snaps, junk, etc. to the forum immediately upon signing up, I'd like to request you guys to reconsider the membership levels.I suggest that the membership levels (at least from Newbie to BHPian) change based on two factors - length of membership &/or number of posts.

Hence, a Newbie would automatically become a BHPian after say 6 months of membership or 50 posts, whichever was earlier.

I dont agree with time deciding the membe4rship level of a member.

Because a guy might just have registered and not posted at all for a very long time.

Number of posts is the correct way of deciding membership levels. I eprsonally feel it is fine as it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elf
I'd like to request you guys to reconsider the membership levels.I suggest that the membership levels (at least from Newbie to BHPian) change based on two factors - length of membership &/or number of posts.

Hi Elf,

You raise a true point.
Infact we just recently changed the software to upgrade people from BHPian to Senior-BHPian only when a certain Post number and Time of membership criteria was reached.

We will look into the Newbie > BHPian upgrade..and might be able to change things...

cya
R

Disagree with you here.
What makes a forum. Not a member whos been aboard for 6 months, but the posts. The more you participate, the more the forum gains. There are forums with lots of members and hardly any posts. Infact on TBHP you will see many many members who have not made more than 1 post. Thats why all over the web you will see that forums follow this trend. The more you participate, the more you contribute to the forum, the more you gain. Member status is an indication of his/her contribution to the forum, not how much he visits.
For example I may be a ferrari enthusiast, so I may visit a forum where owners discuss there cars and problems etc., But I dont own one and hardly have anything to share. I am just "taking" from the forum and not contributing.
There will be members who will just post to get the post count up. For such people there are the moderators. I remember once in my non Senior days, I replied in a thread 5 times, unintentionally, and the point could have been made in one post, I got a warning from the mods.
But such members are rare. Many of such category members have been banned from the forums too. So my suggestion to you is. Contribute. Give something to the forum. Only if you give something you can expect to get something back,