Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2019, 12:32   #6676
Team-BHP Support

Re: Celebrating 15 years of doing it DIFFERENTLY : Happy Birthday, Team-BHP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
4. The Rule of Chat Lingo
Is only there to make it better for you, me and everyone else to read the posts. Incase you see any cases that require moderator attention - please report that post.

I'm not an authority in English, but a quick search tells me that 'coz' is an acceptable usage - showing up in Oxford dictionary, valid word in scrabble etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
FYI - https://www.team-bhp.com/rtech-memorial

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st February 2019 at 12:38.
Old 21st February 2019, 13:19   #6677
Senior - BHPian

Usage of 'coz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm not an authority in English, but a quick search tells me that 'coz' is an acceptable usage - showing up in Oxford dictionary, valid word in scrabble etc.
Scrabble dictionary is no standard bearer of acceptable words in English.

The word "coz" is a corruption of "'cause", which is an aphesis of "because". While I feel "'cause" is OK, "coz" needs to be shunned IMHO.

On a different note - is there a way to disable the automatic subscription to threads where my posts elsewhere are moved to (by mods)?

Last edited by Eddy : 21st February 2019 at 15:36. Reason: as requested
Old 24th February 2019, 10:57   #6678
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilminstrel View Post
I don't know if this might be considered as a conflict of interest issue (as I am a lawyer myself), but being a proud member, my suggestion to Team-BHP will be to protect forum's goodwill and intellectual property. For example, I see no trademark for Team-BHP logo and this may be taken for a freeride on goodwill or even harm the reputation of the forum. Having such an enormous reputation and commercialization in terms of Ts, stickers etc., I would strongly suggest protection of the logo and other intellectual property.
A wise suggestion. I seriously believe Team BHP must protect not only its IP but copyright on all the material at least of the official reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
We have quite a few youngsters in our forum. Two handles that pop up are Varun_Hexaguy and Porsche_Guy.

Wouldn't it be great if senior moderators in each city meet up with our youngsters by organizing meets specifically targeting youngsters - ideally aged below 19 yrs - to encourage them and collect feedback to better the forum experience and also allow the youngsters to introduce their motorhead friends who may be interested in joining the forum and contribute to its richness with their modern thought and ideas.

Glad to read threads created by both Varun & Porsche_Guy.
Whole heartedly support this. I would describe youngsters as below 25 maybe but those are details.
Old 24th February 2019, 11:12   #6679
BHPian

We get multiple perspectives from the Official Reviews, as well as Ownership reviews, both of which are quite valuable. However, this consolidated information isn't available at a single place per car.
Can we add a section called "Owner's reviews" in the Official Review, which has links to the Ownership Reviews? This would make Official Reviews as 1-stop shop when we search any review in future. For future ownership reviews, one more step would be to add their link in the main Official review page.
Old 10th March 2019, 19:51   #6680
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if this might be considered as a conflict of interest issue (as I am a lawyer myself), but being a proud member, my suggestion to Team-BHP will be to protect forum's goodwill and intellectual property. For example, I see no trademark for Team-BHP logo and this may be taken for a free ride on goodwill or even harm the reputation of the forum. Having such an enormous reputation and commercialization in terms of Ts, stickers etc., I would strongly suggest protection of the logo and other intellectual property.
This pic is what I was talking about:

Now, this is clear passing off and riding on the reputation of Team-BHP. This is a pretty serious issue for many companies and other "persons" like non-profit organizations, NGOs etc. as it clearly generalizes the use of colour patterns and design used in a Trade Mark or public material which is unique to one own's reputation (Team-BHP here).

This also requires attention in view of the fact that Team-BHP commercializes its stickers and other merchandise. Think of the example of "Dalda" which was used for all vanaspati in later part of the 90s as Hindustan Vanaspati Manufacturing Co failed to take care of generic use of Dalda. Another example is Xerox for photocopies.

What I am trying to emphasize here is that it is important for Team-BHP to stop this kind of generic use of Team-BHP's intellectual property as later it will not be able to claim exclusive rights over distribution and distinctiveness of their own brand.

By the way, if Team-BHP chose to pursue this cause for the Team-BHP community, I offer my pro-bono assistance in this regard.

PS: I clicked this photograph in Faridabad's Badkal More.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-img_20190308_201437.jpg  

Old 19th March 2019, 19:16   #6681
BHPian

Re: LTD sticker with white backdrop.

Why is the 'LTD' sticker with white background off the shelves? Now I see, 'LTD' sticker with yellow background at the store. I feel, one with the white background stood out and gave a neat look.

If you can, please bring it back.
Old 20th March 2019, 10:15   #6682
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Why is the 'LTD' sticker with white background off the shelves? Now I see, 'LTD' sticker with yellow background at the store. I feel, one with the white background stood out and gave a neat look.

If you can, please bring it back.
Just purchase and put the yellow sticker in place, one year later it will turn white itself.
Old 20th March 2019, 10:32   #6683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Just purchase and put the yellow sticker in place, one year later it will turn white itself.
Even I wouldn't remember the color when I got this set. So as you say, it might have turned white over a period of time.

If someone here, can say whether there were one's with white background OR the yellow one's lose color over a period of time.
Old 20th March 2019, 10:38   #6684
BANNED

Quote:
white background OR the yellow one's lose color over a period of time.
One with a white background was never available, it has always been the yellow. So, one sticker you buy; and you get the ownership experience of a yellow one, and a white one. Things can't get more VFM, trust me.
Old 20th March 2019, 11:23   #6685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why is the 'LTD' sticker with white background off the shelves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Just purchase and put the yellow sticker in place, one year later it will turn white itself
Now, please don't turn white seeing a similar discussion that happened two years ago .

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4163435 (Team-BHP Stickers are here! Post sightings & pics of them on your car)
Old 1st April 2019, 05:55   #6686
Distinguished - BHPian

2014-2019: The Indian automotive scene?

Hello team

Half a decade has passed and a new government has had a full majority to deliver.

Could we have a thread on the path the Indian Automotive scene has travelled in the past five years? Has it met our expectations or not?

What changes were made in,
1. Roadworks
2. Fuel pricing
3. Electrification/hybrid technology
4. GST
5. Make in India
6. Is it still illegal to have sun-films?
Old 1st April 2019, 07:31   #6687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is important for Team-BHP to stop this kind of generic use of Team-BHP's intellectual property as later it will not be able to claim exclusive rights over distribution and distinctiveness of their own brand.
Sorry but this is incomplete and incorrect information. If you are a trademark lawyer you should know the right of first use will take precedence over any other activity including right of first to file.

Yes, this may be passing off, but the fact that team Bhp has not prevented such an use will not pass on the right to that user. There is an entire forum in existence since 2004 to prove that this is a team and it's mostly about BHP as against one user sticking something on his bumper. Hence it will be easy for team BHP to claim and prove right of first use.

Xerox is still a trademark of Xerox as Dalda is of HUL. It is just that these companies find it pointless in filing cases in each and every corner of the country with no clear benefit to them (with lots of benefits to lawyers). Everyone knows about Xerox and Dalda and this use has in a way indirectly contributed to the brand.

The same I suppose is the case with team BHP. Who is going to put in the effort and time to file the cases against the violators even if the trade mark is registered?

This is a free forum and even those who moderate the forum do it in their spare time so the last thing you can expect from them is to file a case in Nagaland because an auto driver stuck a sticker on his bumper. Who will fund? Who will file? Who will do the follow up all over the country??

Certain things need to be assessed from a cost - benefit / practical point of view and not just the legal angle.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2019 at 07:34. Reason: Last line was really unnecessary
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:47   #6688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Sorry but this is incomplete and incorrect information. If you are a trademark lawyer you should know the right of first use will take precedence over any other activity including right of first to file.
Please note:

1. First Use or Prior Use is a defence in an infringement suit. Passing off is different, with a different remedy and different test. These two are different concepts and you are mixing two. Your understanding is misconceived

2. I did not say that Xerox and Dalda were snatched off the TM. I said that it amounted to the generic use. In fact, Xerox was so worried about the generic use of TM that it started issuing letters to dealers and started putting advertisements in newspapers to stop generic use of the word "Xerox". Some are attached herein for your reference. Please note that Xerox is a classic case and one of the fundamentals of TM dilution. I remember to have seen these advertisements in the late 90s in news daily.

3. As far as catching cars and suing them is concerned, it does not work that way. Going by your understanding, it is impossible to stop any intellectual property violation as it will require tremendous human resource and financials. But Infringement suits are filed, isnt it? Am not going to elaborate how it happens, but if you read a bit, you will know.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-1x.jpg  

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-2x.jpg  

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-3x.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2019 at 07:35. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:00   #6689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Xerox was so worried about the generic use of TM that it started issuing letters to dealers and started putting advertisements in newspapers to stop generic use of the word "Xerox"
And what was the result?

Xerox is still written in big letters over the walls of almost every photocopying shop even after 30 years.

Which is my point exactly - even large MNC's have failed to prevent infringements when they are widespread. And this is after having a sound business case to justify going after the infringements, a sound legal case, a huge legal team to do so and strong / valid copyright and TM registrations.

Which further establishes that: (in the case of widespread infringements)

Quote:
it is impossible to stop any intellectual property violation as it will require tremendous human resource and financials.
Not "any" but "most".

Quote:
But Infringement suits are filed, isnt it?
Yes they are. When the infringement is done by a few persons / entities and it is practically possible to prevent such infringement by bringing infringement suits against them.

Last edited by AMG Power : 3rd April 2019 at 11:19.
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:50   #6690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
And what was the result?

Xerox is still written in big letters over the walls of almost every photocopying shop even after 30 years.

Which exactly is my point - even large MNC's have failed to prevent infringements when they are widespread. And this is after having a sound business case to justify going after the infringements, a sound legal case, a huge legal team to do so and strong / valid copyright and TM registrations.

Which further establishes that: (n the case of widespread infringements)

Not "any" but "most".

Yes they are. When the infringement is done by a few persons / entities and it is practically possible to prevent such infringement by bringing infringement suits against them.
Xerox is having nice sleep now on this issue. They are sorted.

You are again confusing with infringement and passing over. Anyway, I leave this to you to understand. But since you have said stuff about curbing infringement, here are my two cents:

Any infringement (widespread or minimal) can be stopped. In fact. it is easier to have relief in case of widespread infringement. And again at the cost reiteration, suits are not filed against end-user, again a fundamental of litigation practice. I am assuming that you don't know about this because you are not in the field. But then it is advisable to discuss with your lawyer before you make assumptions as to what cannot happen and how it is impossible. For Example, I fought for an MNC whose patents were getting infringed to the extent of 13 Lakhs unit per month. Today it is successfully done and dusted!

As far as Cost-Benefit is concerned, maybe you should consult smart lawyers. Smart Lawyers will not only take care of your cost-benefit issues but will also get you paid the royalty and cost of litigation. Of course, it involves a good fee. But that is not applicable here coz I offered a pro bono service to Team BHP to curb this. It may not be that serious now, but if it escalates, Team-BHP should take action.

At last, I don't think this series of posts is going to benefit you or myself or any member here. In fact, I think I may invite one or two more infractions if I reply to one or two more post like the first one you posted. So am gonna rest my case here. As again, feel free to read law if you must and do discuss issues with your lawyer if you have any. One more thing, in law there it is not like 1+1=2, so you may have a better solution, but definitely, there cannot be a situation that you have no solution. As they say in Latin Ubi Jus Ibi Remedium (if there is a wrong, there is a remedy).

Have fun!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks