Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 14:56   #2851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Oh, ok. I stand corrected. I forgot the part about contributing in meets and posting in sections that do not increase the post count.
I only meant that members who do not contribute in any way should be removed (just browsing and gathering info can be done by non-members too, right?).
And what if someone who has been browsing for a long time suddenly wants to post something? Then he has to re-register again? Doesn't make sense.

You have to understand another thing: For example: if someone was active years ago and has stopped being active since a few years and if you remove him, what happens to all his posts? They too will get deleted and then the entire continuity of the thread will go for a toss.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:21   #2852
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I know many members who don't post but just read threads on the forum. But they are part of meets and OTRs. I would rather have people like this on the forum instead of members who continuously spam every thread with WOWs, nice, super, thank you for this glorious scoop and review!
Add to that the ones that say " Wow, it really looks good in white" (for a car that some one has just bought). Then someone buys the same car in Black. "Wow, it really looks good in Black" and so on for all colours.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:22   #2853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I only meant that members who do not contribute in any way should be removed (just browsing and gathering info can be done by non-members too, right?).
There is a non-visible aspect to membership as well. As in, responding to PMs etc. It is possible that these members have contributed by responding to PMs requesting for help.

I would say that the plus points of retaining members are more.

May be, in the following scenarios, a clean up can be done?
1. Long time inactivity, in the sense of absence of login by the member, resulting in membership expiry.
2. Registered email id becomes invalid.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:15   #2854
BHPian

How to bookmark the last page of a specific Thread.

I use a bookmark to view the latest updates on the Figo thread, but how do I ensure that the bookmark always points to the last page of the thread.

I'm asking something like :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...d=XXXXXX&goto=lastpost

This is to the Mods/Admins and completely unrelated to Cars. More of a usability issue.

Do let me know your suggestions.
Old 30th March 2010, 19:13   #2855
Senior - BHPian

just use thread tools and subscribe to the thread-problem solved!!
Old 30th March 2010, 19:27   #2856
BHPian

subscribe to thread, check the picture..

Next time you login, go to *(user_CP()->List Subscriptions) to view the list..

Good luck!!
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-subscribe.jpg  

Old 30th March 2010, 19:52   #2857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have to understand another thing: For example: if someone was active years ago and has stopped being active since a few years and if you remove him, what happens to all his posts? They too will get deleted and then the entire continuity of the thread will go for a toss.
does that happen? if a member is removed, will all his posts get deleted?
Old 30th March 2010, 20:04   #2858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
does that happen? if a member is removed, will all his posts get deleted?
I assume so. It's logical. However, the mod team can answer this better.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:44   #2859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I assume so. It's logical. However, the mod team can answer this better.
Members get banned, and their status mentions the same. Their posts too continue to remain on the forum in various threads. However, i do not recollect any member's id being removed from the forum ever.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:14   #2860
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
...how do I ensure that the bookmark always points to the last page of the thread.
Heres two solutions :

1) If you're using the "BHP Silver" skin, you should see a red arrow next to every thread. Click this arrow to be taken to the first "new" post in that thread (that you haven't read - similar to how "new posts" button works, but within a thread).

You could bookmark that link. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-new-post.html)

2) Sort posts by "newest first" (via User CP) and then bookmark page #1

There might be other solutions too, but i think the first one works well for you (infact maybe better than just going to the last page).

cya
R
Old 31st March 2010, 10:23   #2861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Add to that the ones that say " Wow, it really looks good in white" (for a car that some one has just bought). Then someone buys the same car in Black. "Wow, it really looks good in Black" and so on for all colours.
Wait, you mean people actually spam useless stuff in order to beef up their post counts? Wow, never knew that
Old 31st March 2010, 10:24   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Click this arrow to be taken to the first "new" post in that thread (that you haven't read - similar to how "new posts" button works, but within a thread).
That red arrow is not working for me always. Here's what happens -

1. I open User CP page for the first time. I see some threads with new posts. So I read some of them and leave some of them. My User CP page is still open.

2. I come back after some time to the same page and refresh it to see if more threads have new posts. Now here, the threads which I didn't visit earlier in step 1 gets marked as read and sometimes even not present on User CP page.

This seems like a bug to me. My unread threads should always be present on my User CP page. I know we have some time limit after which unread thread gets marked as read (like in New Posts link), but here I'm talking about threads which are not even a day old.

Hope I have explained the scenario good enough to understand.
Old 31st March 2010, 18:05   #2863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
I'd like to recommend a sub -forum where we discuss, in a structured manner, all aspects of safety during driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I have a few ideas, would be glad to be part of the initiative if and when the mod team and the other members approve.
We will definitely be giving ROAD SAFETY even more importance in the near future. For now, do help by creating more content and participating in discussions on road safety - as well as spreading the message to your friends etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
However, a one on one interaction through which you explain the need for road safety would help.
Absolutely agree. Thats the best way to do it IMO. Educating one person properly is better than trying to spread the message to a 100 in a campaign type way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
It would be Nice if i can view the Entire Thread In Single page
Get firefox. Use Autopager : http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4925
(Might need some configuration)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Mods,
Cant the picture uploading can automatically resize the photos, instead of resizing every photographs before upload. If this feature is already there then kindly clarify.
The server does resize images down to 800x600, assuming the uploaded file is <1mb in size.

However, its suggested that you re-size images before uploading in order to :
1) Make sure they are <1mb each
2) Reduce upload time (even high-mbps broadband typically only allows 256kbps upload speed)

A client-side resizing app might happen in the distant future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I have a question on the Hot Threads section in the home page of team-bhp.com. I would like to know on what basis do the threads get to appear in the section.
These threads are selected based on relevance (not purely view or post count) and the selection is also designed to span a broad selection of topics/sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Second point, Not sure what is the purpose of having a strip of Member Galleries displayed above the forum's main thread, neven look at it at all.
You might not (i dont either ) .. but there are a lot of members who visit the BHP Garages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Am sure someone would have said this before, but how about a live chat feature where members can chat with each other (one on one, or a broadcast chat)?
Yes, this has been suggested about a dozen times before - however, it is very unlikely to be implemented. Do search this thread for the reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
There is a non-visible aspect to membership as well. As in, responding to PMs etc....
Exactly. Add to that subscribing to threads, not having to enter the CAPTCHA whenever you wish to search, having the "new posts" option rather than "todays posts", etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
...if a member is removed, will all his posts get deleted?
Nope.
Though it could be done either which way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
...Now here, the threads which I didn't visit earlier in step 1 gets marked as read and sometimes even not present on User CP page.....
Gandhi, the thing is, this works similar to "new posts". Once you log-out or time-out, unfortunately the system seems to think you're done reading all those threads / posts.

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st March 2010 at 18:14.
Old 31st March 2010, 20:12   #2864
BHPian

Can we have a separate section under travelogues for the Leh ladakh travels. We are seeing a new thread on Leh every alternate day. I am sure every BHPian will be planning this trip atleast once in their life time.
This section should not only include the travel stories, but also dedicated threads to show preparations for this trip, road conditions, route queries, accomodation, fuel stations etc.
Just searched this forum sometime back. Guess there is no thread on the preparations required for this trip. It would be very helpful for a future leh ladakh visitor.
Old 31st March 2010, 20:46   #2865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Wait, you mean people actually spam useless stuff in order to beef up their post counts? Wow, never knew that

Mods, reduce post count by '2' from pranavt

Yes, sometimes these "wow" comments seem to take away the seriousness of the issue.

My 2 cents worth -
some posts with pictures take a longer time to load. Bugs me whenever the connection is slow - especially at home during night time and holidays. Plus, these internet service providers seem to be charging you left, right and centre - is my viewing the picture getting loaded in downloads? So, I was thinking that the size of pictures may be standardised to 640*480 or 800*600 or 1200*800. In case I need to see the bigger picture, I can try to supersize it - a la the classified section where super sizing works very well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks