Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 19:25   #391
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_daytona View Post
My question was mainly to know if the passport renewal needs me to be staying at a address for some period of time?

This will serve as present address proof. Is that enough?

If they need me to show where I was staying before I moved to my own house, I have ample documents for that (Rental agreement, bank statements, landline bills)
I would suggest you to go for tatkaal. In this case, police verification will happen after you receive your passport. So, Police will call you to the station and won't come to your house.

In this case, they won't even ask you any questions. You just need to go there and sign some documents, give 2 photos and one original address proof (which you can get one more copy from Bank - Statement in original).

I agree to you, if its a normal mode - then Police fellow will come to your house and check everything. So, it might be complicated.

So, go for tatkaal. (But make sure you can get Anex I & F done for this)
Old 28th July 2011, 19:30   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Thanks neo! I am applying for my daughter's new passportr's just 5, she hasn't developed a signature yet. Her first passport has a thumb impression for obvious reasons. Should I ask her to "sign" the application form or just get another thumb imprint?

Also, do I need to take her to the RPO personally? I have an appointment on Friday at 10 am which is school hours. In Bangalore I had taken her with me but the official had told me kindly that it hadn't been necessary. Any advice would help.
Take her thumb impression and you must take her along with you. (Why to take risk?)
Old 28th July 2011, 21:23   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Thanks but I checked around and will risk going alone for now. No point her missing school for such a trivial reason. If they insist will go through an agent who charges 800/- and handles everything (no personal appearance needed). Fingers crossed!
Old 29th July 2011, 14:13   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

An update from my side: I reached the regional passport office on SB Road, Pune at approximately 7.40 am this morning. Parking in the premises is fairly organised and costs 10/- per hour. I took my place in the queue that had already formed outside the main office and estimated my number to be around 50.

The office opened shortly after 10 am by which time there were at least 150 people in the queue (and building up). It took hardly any time for the preliminary check (all he does is assign you a counter number based on whether your application is for minor, reissual, govt servant etc.) I got counter number 4 and was about tenth in queue.

It took just over an hour for my turn to come. Handed over the papers to the official but he was in a foul temper (read on...) and threw them back at me asking me to make "sets". I had to borrow a stapler and make the sets as he wanted, which took about 10 minutes more. Finally at 11.40, almost exactly 4 hours after I pulled in, I walked out of the RPO clutching my precious receipt.

Some "best practices" to help hapless Punekars seeking to issue/reissue a passport (this should be put on the RPO website- will save everyone's time!)
  1. Reach as early as possible. 6 am will guarantee you an early spot in the queue. Just remember that the counters will only open at 10 am and there are NO facilities of any kind in or around the RPO.
  2. Carry a small bottle of water, a rain jacket, some light snacks etc. I'd just had a banana in the morning and was starving by the time I was done. Thankfully it was sunny today or I would have also been soaked (along with the precious documents!)
  3. Do NOT carry a backpack. The guards allow ladies' handbags and plastic bags. They told me about it when I was almost in, so with my heart in mouth, had to hang the $80 Fargus knapsack on a tree branch and pray that I'd garnered enough good karma upstairs! (thankfully it appears I do)
  4. On to the all-important "sets": there are 3. The first is the Passport Form 1. If it is for minor, staple the Annexure H at the back of it. The second set is one of the personal details forms (used for police verification mostly) plus all the xerox copies of documents you are attaching with your application. The third set is identical to this, using the second PP details form and the second set of xerox copies.
  5. Verification of original documents happens at the same counter once they have accepted your application form. Keep the originals handy, preferably in a separate envelope. Remember to put them back immediately after they return it.
  6. Payment is the last step. Keep exact change as far as possible. Pune RPO accepts cash. Take the precious receipt, sign and return the counterfoil and keep the recipt carefully in your wallet. You can check the status online using the file number printed on that receipt. It will be updated as early as the next working day. The link is Passport Application Status
  7. Do NOT try to lie to the officials- they will smell it a mile away. The lady in front of me was applying for a minor passport for her nephew while the tyke's parents were themselves at the next counter applying for their own passports. He caught her out in a mismatched signature and then demanded to see the real mother and gave her a dressing down she won't forget! "Tumchyaach mulache naa passport..? Yaayla kaay..?" (This is YOUR kid's passport, right? Can't you come yourself?")
  8. Do NOT upset the officials in any way- it ruins everyone's day. Case above- I was next and got blown up at for no reason. He was nice enough to "make" the sets for the lady behind me
  9. Queue is sacrosanct. You won't believe HOW many people try to pull that old "ek hi signature chahiye" or "mein pehlay aaya thaa" trick. Thankfully, we had a consumer activist type in our midst who ensured order outside. Once inside, you need to watch out for these leeches and put tyhem firmly in place.
  10. Do NOT take minor children to the RPO. There were a few around and I was feeling sorry for them (and their parents). One parent is enough, as long as Annexure H is duly signed by both and copies/originals of both passports are available.
  11. Each and every xerox copy needs to be signed by the submitter. In my child's case I got my wife to sign all the documents as well (just in case).
  12. Keep a calm head. Chat up people, be considerate, offer seats to older people, etc. and you will find that the experience of waiting will be significantly pleasanter. Ironically, the processing time is minimal (about 10 minutes per applicant from my observation). So long as you find a way to kill time when waiting outside, you should be fine (I had a couple of work calls to take and then was on office communicator and BB messenger, so it didn't feel that long. Plus was chatting with a guy from Zensar who was next in line.)
Hope this helps. PM me for anything specific you think I've missed.

Last edited by noopster : 29th July 2011 at 14:20.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 15:22   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Also, if the applicaiton has been made through normal procedure, can you change it to tatkaal once its in process?
I did happen to check it with my agent, who confirmed that the above can indeed be done. All you need is a cover letter, explaining the reason for expediting the procedure, and Rs 1500 as fee (agent and RPO incl).

Just thought of updating this on the thread for the benefits of others.
Old 29th July 2011, 21:14   #396
MCR
BHPian

Ok. So the age old process continues to exist. As I understand the on-line appointment process is available only for Karnataka residents and in Chandigarh PSK. When will the MEA implement the on-line appointment process for the entire country?
But still, don't we deserve a better service? Why should we still reel under babu-dom?
God save us.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:17   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

@MCR- Online process is identical in all the RPOs that it is enabled for (27 cities I think). I too got a printed application with an "appointment" time of 10 am. But it says on the Pune RPO website that the appointment time should be ignored and at the centre, the "first come first served" policy applies.

Since procesing time is minimal (about 10-15 minutes of the total 4 hours+ that I spent there) it defies all logic that they would follow this system and make life miserable for everyone. But then that's the Indian government for you.
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:16   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post

I had a very good experience with them yesterday(July 21st). I had applied for for my wife's passport reissue and my kids fresh passport.
Got the passports yesterday, took just 10 days. Applied on 21st July, and got it on 1st August through normal channel.
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:28   #399
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need a little help.
I am applying for my infant daughter's passport online. The application has been submitted online but when i try to book an appointment, i get the message:
"No appointment slots are available for the selected PSK. Please try scheduling an appointment another day"
What does this mean? Have they run out of days?? I tried this for all the PSKs, from Hubli to Mangalore and all gave the same message.

Has anyone else faced and successfully resolved this problem? The application is not under tatkal, by the way.

TIA
Amitoj
Old 4th August 2011, 09:10   #400
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I am applying for my infant daughter's passport online. The application has been submitted online but when i try to book an appointment, i get the message:
"No appointment slots are available for the selected PSK. Please try scheduling an appointment another day"
What does this mean? Have they run out of days?? I tried this for all the PSKs, from Hubli to Mangalore and all gave the same message.

Has anyone else faced and successfully resolved this problem? The application is not under tatkal, by the way.

TIA
Amitoj
Try to book the appointent at 8.00AM Sunday to Thursday. It works.
If you try to book an appointment any later , all the slots would be taken by then.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 09:16   #401
BHPian

Quote:

TIA
Amitoj
Try to book the appointment at morning 8-8.30am. You will get it for very next day.
Look at this link, i have done this 2 weeks back and got the passports in 10 days.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2439534
kavu75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 09:20   #402
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. I tried again just now, after reading your replies and i was able to get an appointment for tomorrow!

But i must say that this is a bit clunky.

On to the next query now

Do i need to take my 4 month old daughter to the PSK as well?
Old 5th August 2011, 14:14   #403
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, it is better that you take her. They will take her thumb print which will be present in the passport.
ajayr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 15:05   #404
BHPian

Quote:
I second Ajay's reply. Saw many children in arms when we went there. Believe it is required for the child/baby to be with their parents when passport is applied.

Don;t forget the photographs and birth certificate though
lambuhere1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 10:34   #405
BHPian

I need a tatkal passport and require it asap. Is it better to submit the passport application at PSK or RPO for quicker processing? Will there be too many people at PSK?

I tried getting an online appointment at RPO but the server always throws an error. I tried this link but as soon as i click next, i get "Internal server error".

Please give your suggestions.

Last edited by Pallavi : 17th August 2011 at 10:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks