Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2016, 08:05   #1021
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I find Italians are generally more relaxed, they are not too particular about overtaking from right, honking generously etc.
Spike
Italians are generally not pleased with following rules. Nor are the French, the Spanish, the Portuguese and the Greeks.They smoke under non smoking signs. They drive quite aggressively and park wherever they can find place, often squeezing their compact cars into spaces designed for mini hatch backs. And so on.

In General, these blokes don't like authority much, especially the Cops and the Tax Man. There is a certain contempt for the Pompous bits of Authority overall.

Most Southern Europeans think that the more law abiding and conformist Northern Europeans are a bunch of strait laced, uptight fellas.

Which may be some of the reasons why we Indians generally feel quite at home in Southern Europe.

The above is a pure generalisation, based on my own observations when I ve travelled in those parts.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th June 2016 at 08:07.
Old 5th June 2016, 19:26   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Even university education isn't that expensive as it is across the pond.

In my experience, education costs in India are the only growing without any control.
So very true, my expenses for studies in Germany at the University (2012-2014) was lesser compared to the expenses in India (2003-2007), living expenses kept aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Which may be some of the reasons why we Indians generally feel quite at home in Southern Europe.

The above is a pure generalisation, based on my own observations when I ve travelled in those parts.
Your observations are spot on. Last year when I drove down to Italy, my German colleagues warned me that the Italians drive like maniacs and that I need to be careful while on the road. As you said, I felt at home.

Spike
Old 5th June 2016, 21:27   #1023
BANNED

As for the Italians here is a true story. A colleague from Zimbabwe was going to Southern Italy for some field work and was driving a Land Rover down from the UK.

He found Paris quite frightening and was told, we are Ok, see the Romans they drive like mad.
In Rome he was told, see the Neapolitans, they are mad.
In Naples they said, they are Ok, it is the Torinos who are crazy.
Old 5th June 2016, 22:02   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So very true, my expenses for studies in Germany at the University (2012-2014) was lesser compared to the expenses in India (2003-2007), living expenses kept aside.
Ah, really loved the discussion. Good to see different perspectives as well as experiences.

Even my relatives who are teens are lot different now than what I was, ten years ago. Technology has played an important role I believe, Snapchat, Instagram, etc has given them a global exposure on life, trends etc.

Buddy, slightly OT but did you change your field. I believe you did your bachelors in Mechanical and now focussing on the software side?

Control strategy?
Old 5th June 2016, 23:28   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

Buddy, slightly OT but did you change your field. I believe you did your bachelors in Mechanical and now focussing on the software side?

Control strategy?
OT-

ecenandu, I did my Bachelors in Mechanical from India then my Masters in Automotive Engineering with specialization in Powertrain Applications. I'm a Functional Safety Calibration Engineer for a German marque.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13647/en/

I've been reading this thread for a while and thought I should pop my question as well, so here.

Spike
Old 20th June 2016, 13:16   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Not sure where to post this, only came across this thread. Would be great if some insights can be provided on the below situation:

A close relative is moving to Belgium to undertake a Master degree course for 11 months odd. She is a working professional in India, with a work experience of about 6 years. She gets paid salary in a savings account in Bangalore.

The question is: What is the best and most efficient way in which to access these funds when she is studying and living abroad: Is it:

(a) Open NRE account (this is suggested by her bank) with an international debit card
(b) Open a local student account in Belgium, into which she transfers money from her present savings account as and when needed, and then withdraw and use money from this student account?
(c) Both the above?
(d) Any other option or method.

What do Indian students do in such situations? Any insights? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 20th June 2016 at 13:17.
Old 20th June 2016, 15:55   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
A close relative is moving to Belgium to undertake a Master degree course for 11 months odd. She is a working professional in India, with a work experience of about 6 years. She gets paid salary in a savings account in Bangalore.

The question is: What is the best and most efficient way in which to access these funds when she is studying and living abroad:
For the requirement cited, there is no point in opening an NRE account, though technically she would be eligible for one.

To access funds from her resident Indian account, all she needs is an International Debit Card on said account. She can withdraw from any ATM, only downside being she has to bear the exchange rate risk each time. Most banks also offer global Currency / Travel Cards, where you can preload the card for a desired amount and currency, so that the exchange risk is obviated.

Would suggest a combination of both above, glad to clarify further if required.
Old 29th June 2016, 22:05   #1028
BHPian

Came across this vid -
Since OP asked "is it worth it?", thought it apt to post it to this thread.
Old 26th July 2016, 10:25   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone here who has lived in Germany and thought of settling down here for a longer time ? I'm here since almost 4 years, professionally doing very well, have excellent prospects for future in the German automotive industry, pay is good, can speak fluent German. I'm now single. In a few years I will have to take a decision though.

Anyone who has been on the same boat or similar situation, or thoughts from anyone else who has lived here with family for a longer time ?
Good to hear about you Spike!

I have not really lived in Germany, but worked and travelled there. In any case, I wont comment on the place but more about the situation.

I guess you would need to consider that when you think of a family, the decision would be between you and your spouse. What works for one Indian couple may not work for another. Heck, what works for one person may not work for his/ her spouse either. It depends on what are your priorities. At the end of the day, you make a decision keeping all consequences in mind.

Like Samurai said, forget culture. Just think of it in terms of your comfort level. At the moment you may feel ok to live by yourself. But with a young family, would you expect to stay near family? Would your wife prefer that?
By family, I intend to say an extended family not only direct grandparents but uncles/ aunts/ cousins, etc.

If you are looking for a similar childhood for your kids here in Indian cities as you may have had, I would expect that you will be disappointed.

Of course at the other end, you also risk your career choices if you return to India. Knowing what area you work in, I would not recommend this. have a look at my rants about returning to India on the relevant thread here!
However, as I said before, this decision lies with you. In terms of your flexibility to adapt to the preferences of your (wouldbe) spouse. Maybe that would be a true test of seeing whether you have built up any rigidities (as you mentioned in your post about Germans )

Best wishes as always
Old 26th July 2016, 11:09   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Came across this vid -
======
While this behaviour should be condemned, so are people from our neck of the woods which are rorting the system for their personal greed just like they would in India. If thats not all they are incredibly popular within their communities for making it big in life. No social boycott no hoopla by the so called India community over this here in Australia. The below links are just the tip of the iceberg. Almost every week an Indian business is in the new for all the bad reasons.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/vocat...16-gjnqwe.html

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educa...27-gkkagc.html

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4287814.htm

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th January 2017 at 15:51. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 31st July 2016, 01:35   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Came across this vid -
=====
You could find a video of people being racist from any country so whilst this is ugly, it doesn't really prove anything. Most parts of the UK are not bad compared to most countries in my experience (I'm British). The last time I saw open racism in the street was towards Muslims just after 9/11 when I saw a group of men shouting at Pakistanis to "choose Britain or Bin Laden", but that was 15 years ago - it is NOT a common occurance.

There is something of an anti-immigration sentiment in the country at the moment as immigration has been so high for so long, but most people realise that is political not personal.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th January 2017 at 15:50. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:29   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews of agencies for Australia immigration? my friends has been recommended Y-Axis, but cant make up his mind
Is it really necessary to have an agency to help with filing of PR or it can be done on our own?
Appreciate your recommendations
Old 4th January 2017, 08:05   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Any reviews of agencies for Australia immigration? my friends has been recommended Y-Axis, but cant make up his mind
Is it really necessary to have an agency to help with filing of PR or it can be done on our own?
Appreciate your recommendations
I was also looking at Y-Axis for PR, but they quoted a fee of approximately 4 lakhs and an additional fee of 2.5 lakhs for my wife and son. I felt the service was too costly. Then I approached one of my friends from Melbourne, who is in Hyderabad for holidays. He promised me to help and start the process for P R from Melbourne itself through one of his friends who owns a consultancy there for 1.75 lakhs and an additional fee of approximately 2 lakhs for my wife and son. I have decided to take his help due to the cost invloved in India.
Old 4th January 2017, 10:00   #1034
BHPian

I got H1B and planing to shift to Chicago around April. This is sponsored by my company. I heard rumors such as Trump is coming up with a new rule to increase salary of employees under H1B. So the Indian IT companies are calling back employees with higher experience and band back to India. Anyone else came across same?
Old 4th January 2017, 10:21   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I was also looking at Y-Axis for PR, but they quoted a fee of approximately 4 lakhs and an additional fee of 2.5 lakhs for my wife and son. I felt the service was too costly.
Interesting. I asked him. They quoted 1.6L + taxes as their charges for the guy, wife and 1 kid. Additional 4 L approx is to be paid while processing.
If everything goes through then additional for visa processing as below:
3600 AUD for the guy
1800 AUD for the wife
900 AUD for the kid (or 900 per kid, if anyone has more kids)

for him thats 6300 AUD at around 52 INR = 3.3L

total cost > 9 Lakhs

I wonder if he can save the 2L by doing it himself, it shouldnt be that difficult. I told him he could use the 2L for something else, maybe flights or settling down costs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks