Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2018, 10:35   #1156
BHPian

re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Written test is mandatory and they will retain/destroy your Indian license.
If this is the case, how would you drive in India, say when on vacation? In NSW, Australia, the process is similar, bit they do not do anything to the Indian licence, it's returned.

Get yourselves familiar with the driving rules and conventions in the initial period and appear for the test. In Kerala, you can get the licence residues in card format over fat track counter, it takes few minutes. The only other thing that you can get is the DL particulars, a days visit to the RTO should give you this. Carry this with you even if it is not needed, easier to get when you apply in person.
Old 4th January 2018, 10:44   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Has anyone here taken up this offer?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8066846.html
It is not a visa or residency. It is merely an enticement for people who already have the right to live in Switzerland, to move to that village.
revhappy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 16:05   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
The only other thing that you can get is the DL particulars, a days visit to the RTO should give you this. Carry this with you even if it is not needed, easier to get when you apply in person.
This makes eminent sense.

I'd be extremely grateful if you could please shed more insights into this- I checked the RTO website for Kerala, and couldn't find enough.
Does this mean I have to check in-person with the RTO who issued the Driving License? Another added challenge is that my address and forename is different on the Driving license here in India- hope that doesn't matter?
Old 4th January 2018, 16:21   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
If this is the case, how would you drive in India, say when on vacation?
I exchanged my Indian DL for a Finnish DL after taking up residence in Finland. My Indian DL is now deposited with Finnish authorities. To drive in India, I got an International Driving Permit issued from Finland on the basis of my Finnish DL.
Old 4th January 2018, 20:04   #1160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
how would you drive in India, say when on vacation?
You can drive on Canadian licence, DL is considered as an important document everywhere so you cannot have 2 of these logically. Another option is not to declare Indian DL, they don't bother but you will have to apply for learners licence in that case. And if someone is Ok, one can easily get a duplicate licence here in India whenever one comes back
Old 4th January 2018, 20:50   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can drive on Canadian licence, DL is considered as an important document everywhere so you cannot have 2 of these logically.
My manager has a US citizenship and holds both the US as well as Indian Licenses. In fact, he recently got the Indian license renewed. Which means, he didn't have to surrender the Indian license when applying for the US license.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 21:37   #1162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My manager has a US citizenship and holds both the US as well as Indian Licenses.
Can be, I have shared my experience regarding Canada, other countries may have a different criterion or as I mentioned above, if you don't disclose Indian DL you can still get a new DL overseas just that you have to go via learner route, this may also vary. Or he might have got a duplicate license made in India. I don't think USA or any other country will report canceled licenses to Indian authorities.

Quote:
If there are errors that should be corrected first, as correct info need to be present in the DL particulars.
If we are talking about getting DL in Canada, they will go with immigration/ Landing records only. They won't be bothered by any small mismatch on Indian DL.

Quote:
got my Indian renewed in 30 minutes yesterday
Yes because as you mentioned, Australians are not bothered if you have 2 or more DL but it does not work that way in Canada, You can officially have only one DL.

Quote:
Without disclosing the Indian DL or not having held the Indian DL for long enough (period could vary from country to country), individual would have to go through the full licencing process, same as any one getting a licence on that country for the first time. With Indian DL, there is a chance to go through an accelerated process wherein the full licence is obtained much faster.
Correct, that's exactly what I was trying to convey

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th January 2018 at 22:01.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 21:43   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
My manager has a US citizenship and holds both the US as well as Indian Licenses. In fact, he recently got the Indian license renewed. Which means, he didn't have to surrender the Indian license when applying for the US license.
This is my case too. I have full Aussie licence and also have full Indian licence, got my Indian renewed in 30 minutes yesterday at Cochin RTO fast track counter. Was amazed at the speed at which this was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
This makes eminent sense.

I'd be extremely grateful if you could please shed more insights into this- I checked the RTO website for Kerala, and couldn't find enough.
Does this mean I have to check in-person with the RTO who issued the Driving License? Another added challenge is that my address and forename is different on the Driving license here in India- hope that doesn't matter?
I have found Kerala RTO to be a very robust organisation as far as I have interacted with them. Call up your local RTO office and ask for DL particulars. If there are errors that should be corrected first, as correct info need to be present in the DL particulars. All this could be done quickly at your RTO fast track counter, am sure there is one in Trivandrum.

Quote:
if you don't disclose Indian DL you can still get a new DL overseas just that you have to go via learner route, this may also vary.
This I believe is comparable in almost all countries. One can obtain a DL with or without disclosing Indian DL. Without disclosing the Indian DL or not having held the Indian DL for long enough (period could vary from country to country), individual would have to go through the full licencing process, same as any one getting a licence on that country for the first time. With Indian DL, there is a chance to go through an accelerated process wherein the full licence is obtained much faster.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 4th January 2018 at 21:58. Reason: Edited to add content
basilmabraham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 22:32   #1164
BHPian

I got a US DL by flashing my Indian DL.

All, I had to do was clear the written test. And, you can retain the Indian DL along with your US DL.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 06:47   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I got a US DL by flashing my Indian DL.

All, I had to do was clear the written test. And, you can retain the Indian DL along with your US DL.
Depending on state. In IL i went for written and road test. But in NJ its only written test.
Old 7th January 2018, 20:27   #1166
BHPian

Re: Availability of Millets in US?

On a different note, would like to know what with millets gaining prominence in India, what all are the millets which is available off the shelf in US? In my earlier visits I could find bajra flour, other than that have NOT seen any millet products in 'Patels' OR any other indian grocers!

If anyone has more information, please share!
Old 7th January 2018, 22:12   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
On a different note, would like to know what with millets gaining prominence in India, what all are the millets which is available off the shelf in US? In my earlier visits I could find bajra flour, other than that have NOT seen any millet products in 'Patels' OR any other indian grocers!

If anyone has more information, please share!
You will not get all varieties of millets. As far as I know you get bajra, ragi and jowar. Many people are not yet aware of other varieties of millets. It may take some time before it becomes available there. Best bet is to buy from here before you travel.
Old 7th January 2018, 22:34   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
You will not get all varieties of millets. As far as I know you get bajra, ragi and jowar. Many people are not yet aware of other varieties of millets. It may take some time before it becomes available there. Best bet is to buy from here before you travel.
Heard 'Proso' millet is available at few of the american retailers.

Any which ways, would carry few KGs but that would NOT suffice for a longer stay as I have almost replaced rice with millet as my main carb source.
Old 8th January 2018, 08:05   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I exchanged my Indian DL for a Finnish DL after taking up residence in Finland. My Indian DL is now deposited with Finnish authorities. To drive in India, I got an International Driving Permit issued from Finland on the basis of my Finnish DL.
I did the same and is pretty much the easiest way to get a EU Drivers license. Now I've migrated to US for good and my Indian license is in Finland and will stay there. I reckon the US license will be ok to drive in India when I do visit. If I drive i.e.
Old 8th January 2018, 08:17   #1170
BHPian

The US is different. I could keep my license from India and still get a license in the US. However, in Canada if you are claiming driving experience with your DL extract to go directly to the G license then you have to submit the Indian DL. If you don't do that then after you pass your written test you have to go through the 2 year process to get a G (full) license.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks