Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 10:55   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
A funny incident with my non-petrol head dad which I must share here before I forget:
Really ROTFL stuff man. It would be nice to hear your dad's opinion on F-1 cars as they carry so many brand endorsements.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:27   #1022
Team-BHP Support

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@KarthikK, I don't know if it's an age thing but I kinda agree with your Dad!

Decals of any sort look really silly on a car, in my opinion. Those "Abarth" ones are the silliest. I also hate the decals on SUVs like the Endeavour and Pajero- think it completely takes away from the character of the car. So I assume this is a taste thing and not a "non
-petrolhead" thing!
Oh well you are right about the Endy and Pajero looking distastefully done up with the decals. Yeah this has to do with individual taste also, but the "non-petrolhead" thing was that my dad thinks all cars with stickers/decals are demo cars or test drive cars. Doesn't matter if its a 3L Alto or a 35L BMW. If it has colorful stickers or side decals, it is most likely a showroom's demo car according to him. *lol*

The salesguy at Fiat would have been mightly displeased when he heard that the Punto "Sport" looks like a demo car with stickers. Oops!

@carwatcher - He is an ardent watcher of F1, so F1 cars might be excused since we don't see their street-legal versions on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I do not think that (undermining safety) is what @sameerg001 is pointing out to, when his friend bought the WUV W8 AWD. He is merely pointing out to the show off many people do by buying the top end versions, even when they cannot or do not know how to use the feature (s). I bet his friend would never use the AWD feature over the lifetime of the ownership, & could have been better off with the W8 FWD variant.

Hope this clears the air.
I agreed with sameerg001 too, that in AWD v/s FWD case, it was a bit unnecessary to spend a lac extra over something which won't be used. Since the subsequent posts in that section were veering towards a top end v/s non-top end variant discussion, I just generally mentioned why a top-end model need not necessarily be a waste of money always.

Last edited by KarthikK : 10th August 2012 at 11:57.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:45   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Although this is a bit extreme situation where I agree with you, there is no need to buy the 4x4 version for normal city use, but I tend to suffer from that "top end is best" feeling too . The Best or Nothing, like the popular phrase. If I can't afford the top end variant of a model A, I would rather pick the top end variant of a cheaper model B than go with the base version of model A.

I completely agree with MileCruncher. To add to this, some more reasons why I'm hell bent on picking the top variant ONLY :

no offense meant*
I do not think that (undermining safety) is what @sameerg001 is pointing out to, when his friend bought the WUV W8 AWD. He is merely pointing out to the show off many people do by buying the top end versions, even when they cannot or do not know how to use the feature (s). I bet his friend would never use the AWD feature over the lifetime of the ownership, & could have been better off with the W8 FWD variant.

Hope this clears the air.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 10th August 2012 at 11:49.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 07:48   #1024

A colleague at work was once checking out a car from all sides in the parking lot, when I asked what he was doing he pointed to the car and replied "I am doing some research on which car to buy, and I can't decide if I should get a Passat so I am just checking it out" Trying to keep a straight face I replied "Err, that is a Jetta"
Maverick0129 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 18:15   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post

One I heard yesterday : " Swift dezire is a very comfortable car. You keep one glass of water on dashboard it wont spill even a drop"
Thats probably true, if the car is not moving i.e.

Anyways, i am just in love with this thread. My 2 paise contribution:-
  • all f1 cars are exaactly same, it depends on the driver - a person who does not know about BHP
  • to drift all you have to do is to pull the handbrake and steer the opposite direction - someone who has seem Tokya Drift too many times
Old 11th August 2012, 21:16   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
Thats probably true, if the car is not moving i.e.

Anyways, i am just in love with this thread. My 2 paise contribution:-
  • all f1 cars are exaactly same, it depends on the driver - a person who does not know about BHP
  • to drift all you have to do is to pull the handbrake and steer the opposite direction - someone who has seem Tokya Drift too many times
Edit: I just recalled this epic one-

I was at a VW showroom in south delhi, had gone there to check out Polo. All the SA's there were women and so one came to me started describing the car. I was checking out most of the things myself though. And then i popped the hood. The following happened:-

I: Thats one heavy bonet
SA: Yes sir, its triple steeled

I: hmmmm...
SA: Do you know this car has the best in class power (we were checking out the petrol verison)

I: Really?
SA: Yes sir, this car has 200 power

I: 200? in what units?
SA: Sir the power of the car - 200

I: Ya, but in what units? bhp, nm, ps, what??
SA: Sir, the power that this car can generate is 200

I: (getting irritated and amused now) look lady, this car makes 75 bhp at peak rpm and is one of the lowest in its segment. Cars like swift, brio make 85+ bhp. (and i started closing the bonet)
SA: No sir.... aaaaaouch!!!

And her finger came between the bonet and the body when i closed it . I kept apologizing

She went away and never came back. Me and my friends still have a great laugh at the incident.
prashant316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:52   #1027
BHPian

I'm guessing none of you bhpians will find this funny.
My friend noticed my "live to drive" sticker and he says 'arre promit, you have the taxiwallah sticker..... oh wait my bad, that'd be "drive to live'" My facial expression had to be seen before he quickly changed his statement.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 22:06   #1028
BHPian

You are right. I took it offensive. Later figured that is how common crowd works.
Old 25th August 2012, 00:06   #1029
BHPian

Not sure if I have misunderstood the ad here:

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...a/Sentia.html/

It says: 4 wheel stearing (All 4 wheels turn on the stearing)

What does this actually mean?
Old 25th August 2012, 00:30   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post

Wiki says Sentia is a RWD car. Probably the dealership guy misinterpreted 4 spoke steering wheel as 4 wheel steering & derived a meaning himself to highlight the features / car !
Old 25th August 2012, 00:43   #1031
BHPian

I got this one from a friend.

"The new Mercedes sedan has such superior suspension that if you were sitting in it eating 'pulav' (a rice preparation) on a plate and the car went over a typical Indian speedbreaker at 100 km/h, not a single pea on your plate would move."

Mercedes, are you listening? A new line you can tell your sales guys!!
swarnava.m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 00:59   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Wiki says Sentia is a RWD car. Probably the dealership guy misinterpreted 4 spoke steering wheel as 4 wheel steering & derived a meaning himself to highlight the features / car !
4WS
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 19:56   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
Edit: I just recalled this epic one-

I was at a VW showroom in south delhi, had gone there to check out Polo. All the SA's there were women and so one came to me started describing the car. I was checking out most of the things myself though. And then i popped the hood. The following happened:-

I: Thats one heavy bonet
SA: Yes sir, its triple steeled

That triple steeled bonnet was quite powerful

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by bblost : 27th August 2012 at 20:14. Reason: Added the relevant quoted section. Thanks.
Old 26th August 2012, 23:41   #1034
nbr
BHPian

There was accident near my place ,where a TVS Star bike's handle touched the door of Hyundai Verna and there was a huge dent!!! and public comments are "Old days were good, the old Ambassador car was so strong, even if hit from front ,nothing would have happened!!!

Now who will make them understand side or front impact safety beams, ABS and air bags etc. I still personally feel , we are still ages behind in understanding safety standards
Old 27th August 2012, 22:34   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I got this one from a friend.

"The new Mercedes sedan has such superior suspension that if you were sitting in it eating 'pulav' (a rice preparation) on a plate and the car went over a typical Indian speedbreaker at 100 km/h, not a single pea on your plate would move."

Mercedes, are you listening? A new line you can tell your sales guys!!
Although your friend's example of Pulav may be funny but from experience I can tell you that I once was in the Passat 2011 (with 3 on board) and we deliberately sped over a speed breaker at over 80km/hr and there was no jerk inside and nor were we thrown off our seats, it seemed almost unbelievable. The speed breaker wasn't a mammoth sized one but it wasn't one of those little bumps either and the Passat took it over brilliantly. Hence, I can only assume that Mercedes has an even better suspension set up and the ride quality would be far too superior.

This was actually done by a sales consultant to show the customer the driving dynamics of the Passat. I remember I once missed a speed breaker at night while driving my Ritz and after that day I appreciate the extra head room of my car.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks