Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2018, 15:29   #11266
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
SA vs PAK yes. The Centurion test largely looks even stevens. But SL are absolutely getting rolled by NZ. NZ is our next destination.
I think SA are ahead now. They will be disappointed if they dont win from this stage.

We may be going to NZ. But its only for the limited overs. No tests there. Probably BCCI thought there wont be many turning up at odd hours to follow test cricket for 5 days.
Old 28th December 2018, 16:47   #11267
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
We may be going to NZ. But its only for the limited overs. No tests there. Probably BCCI thought there wont be many turning up at odd hours to follow test cricket for 5 days.
Perhaps a smart decision if looking at it from a financial point of view. And even otherwise, after England i think its NZ where the ball swings the most & our batsman as everyone knows really struggle against swing.
Old 28th December 2018, 16:55   #11268
Senior - BHPian

Yupe. Financially yes.
But I think as a cricket lover, I would like to see what this Indian team can do in New Zealand as well. We do have a set of bowlers who can really make it work.
Would have made for interesting watching for me at least.
Old 28th December 2018, 18:26   #11269
Distinguished - BHPian

These days teams are very reluctant to enforce follow-ons. Nobody wants to have to face the prospect of getting high pressure runs to win a match batting last on a wearing pitch. So it's understandable that Kohli did not enforce the follow on. But having said that, the prediction of rain over the next few days should have been taken into consideration along with the fact that you are almost 300 runs up.

50 odd for 5 in the second innings is not as much a of a worry as the prediction of rain is. If we get full 5 days of play, India winning this match is a very likely event .

PS : Watched live Bumrah getting Shaun Marsh out off the last ball before lunch. I don't know when I last enjoyed an Indian bowler getting a wicket like that so much. Was an absolute beauty!!
Old 28th December 2018, 19:55   #11270
BHPian

The match looks dead and buried for Australia unless a significant amount of time is wiped out. India losing 5 wickets might actually work in their favor (however bad it looks on the batsmen).
Let the chest thumping begin for my teenage brats.
Old 28th December 2018, 20:14   #11271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Yupe. Financially yes.
But I think as a cricket lover, I would like to see what this Indian team can do in New Zealand as well. We do have a set of bowlers who can really make it work.
Would have made for interesting watching for me at least.
Ditto.
Not to overlook NZ are perhaps the most likable team in world cricket. Especially Williamson. Would have been a great contest.

Following on is always a tricky situation. We all felt the same but team management knows the ground reality so there must be reasons behind batting again.. Also we gifted our wickets. Still, we already have enough. Another 50 runs take us to 400. I don't see Aussies even making 200-250 on this pitch.
Old 28th December 2018, 20:15   #11272
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of the Australian media houses are already proclaiming this a tall order for Australia and potential 2-1 outcome. However, this Guardian article gives a very sound and interesting viewpoint; definitely worth a read.
Old 28th December 2018, 21:22   #11273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Following on is always a tricky situation. We all felt the same but team management knows the ground reality so there must be reasons behind batting again.. Also we gifted our wickets. Still, we already have enough. Another 50 runs take us to 400. I don't see Aussies even making 200-250 on this pitch.
India bowled 67 overs and out of which 25 was from the spinner. So there must be a reason why the 3 fast bowlers didn't bowl again after bowling 42 overs between them.

Maybe Kohli was going by past statistics.
Quote:
Number of times Virat Kohli has not enforced the follow-on in Tests = 6 (despite being entitled to do so).

Incidentally of the five previous instances when Virat did not enforce the follow-on, India went on to win the Test on every single occasion!
It seems like Kohli will retain the record for the 6th time too.

BTW, extremely poor application by Indian middle order. It seemed they wanted to prove that there was a demon in the pitch and scare the Aussies for their 4th innings.
Old 28th December 2018, 22:39   #11274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Most of the Australian media houses are already proclaiming this a tall order for Australia and potential 2-1 outcome. However, this Guardian article gives a very sound and interesting viewpoint; definitely worth a read.
This one is hilarious
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...28-p50onw.html

On SMH, there's another article that's more interesting. Malcolm Knox I think.
He says the three differences between last summer's Ashes winning team and this team are - Warner, Smith and lack of reverse swing... Who says they are linked ��https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...28-p50ol0.html
Old 28th December 2018, 22:54   #11275
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Did anyone watch the video footage of Tim Paine's banter (sledging) with Rishabh Pant ?
https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...-at-mcg/338332
Old 29th December 2018, 06:22   #11276
Distinguished - BHPian

Was amazed looking at the six hit by Pant, just before getting out.
There's a very positive feeling about this team; reminds me of Ranatunga's Sri Lankan team of the 90s - aggressive and ready to make mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
On SMH, there's another article that's more interesting. Malcolm Knox I think.
He says the three differences between last summer's Ashes winning team and this team are - Warner, Smith and lack of reverse swing... Who says they are linked ��https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...28-p50ol0.html
Ooh - that's a dirty article raising very dark questions! Potentially true, but I'd rather he says it upfront, but he's definitely making the right points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Did anyone watch the video footage of Tim Paine's banter (sledging) with Rishabh Pant ?
Yea, Twitter is abuzz with it. It was actually quite funny!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 29th December 2018 at 06:30.
Old 29th December 2018, 08:13   #11277
BHPian

Reading about the last noises made by bhpians about Kohli as the captain and Shastri as the coach is it fair to say that if Kohli was not the captain and Shastri was not the coach, then India

- would have won 3-0 in SA
- would have won 5-0 in England
- would be leading the Aussie series 2-0 as we speak
Old 29th December 2018, 09:35   #11278
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yea, Twitter is abuzz with it. It was actually quite funny!
And just now I heard Pant's banter when Paine was at the crease. He was saying (to Jadeja who was bowling) you have a special guest the temporary captain. Payback time.
Old 29th December 2018, 12:52   #11279
Team-BHP Support

If Australia's top and middle order had Cummins' temperament, this would be a really interesting game. Not very often does one deliver a MoM performance and end up on the losing side in a Test.

India's two takeaways from the game: give Agarwal an extended run and manage Bumrah's fitness (strike bowler personified).
Old 29th December 2018, 14:19   #11280
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was amazed looking at the six hit by Pant, just before getting out.
His entertaining cameos of 20's aren't going to win us any test matches unfortunately! Biggest worry is his poor keeping, he is dropping 1 catch every innings & his footwork is very poor while keeping.

Quote:
manage Bumrah's fitness (strike bowler personified)
He should have been rested for either the T20's or ODI's in NZ ideally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks