Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:55   #11311
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

I think Rahul will open again and Vijay seems to be done. I am not sure what role Vihari plays now. Jadeja will now have to shoulder more responsibility. Hope he learns to flight and spin the ball rather than pushing through air. We lack genuine spinners who can give the ball more flight given the high amount of T20 we are playing.
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:55   #11312
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Why is Ishant not in? Are they resting him or is he not useful on this pitch? But then why Yadav? And why is KL Rahul back?!
Ishant has some issue with his rib cage. Ashwin was ruled out of the 4th test but yet has been named in the 13 man squad so that he can prove his fitness again tomorrow, apparently!

KL is back because we don't take have any other batsman in our 19 member squad.
If i remember correctly, Umesh Yadav wasn't even part of 13 man squad before the Perth test yet made it to the XI. So let's see what happens tomorrow. SCG this time has a drop in pitch.
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:07   #11313
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Kuldeep is the better Yadav to pick for Sydney. Young Aussie batsmen may struggle to pick him. IIRC Yasir Shah caused them a few problems in the recent series. Umesh Yadav was wayward in Perth and leaked a lot of runs and couldn't maintain pressure.
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:49   #11314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
We seem to have a problem of plenty in the bowling department but the batting cupboard seems pretty bare. A scenario I never expected to see.

We need to bring in reinforcements from the domestic structure.
Old 2nd January 2019, 14:26   #11315
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
We do have Parthiv Patel in the squad. Might as well give him a shot as an opening batsman. He cannot do worse than Rahul.
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:29   #11316
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Shubhman Gill is doing well in the domestic circuit lately. But he should be tested in the 'A' tours before being bloodied into the senior team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
We do have Parthiv Patel in the squad. Might as well give him a shot as an opening batsman. He cannot do worse than Rahul.
He's a wicket-keeper. Who is supposed to keep wickets, both are ordinary! Might pose a problem during fielding.
KL is a decent slip fielder apart from being very lucky to get one more chance to cement his place in the team.
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:52   #11317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I think Kuldeep is the better Yadav to pick for Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
We do have Parthiv Patel in the squad. Might as well give him a shot as an opening batsman.
Quote:
Shubhman Gill is doing well in the domestic circuit lately. But he should be tested in the 'A' tours before being bloodied into the senior team.
What a load of different opinions we have on this forum

1. We have a winning combination; so the team won't change unless injury or other reasons
2. Spinner friendly pitch, so two spinners is a must, at a cost of batsman or a pacer
3. Rohit Sharma is out so a batsman replacement is required
4. Ishant is injured so a pacer replacement is required

Target 11
Batsmen: Kohli, Pujara, Rahane, Mayank, Vihari, Rahul
Pacers: Bumrah, Shami, Umesh
Spinners: Jadeja, Ashwin/Kuldeep
Wicket-keeper: Pant

Scenarios possible
1. Additional spinner (Ashwin if fit else Kuldeep) replaces Rohit's empty place (3 pacer + 2 spinner combo)
2. Additional spinner replaces Ishant's empty space (2 pacer + 2 spinner combo)

My guess - Ashwin will be fit enough and will replace Ishant's empty spot; giving us two pacers and two spinners. If he isn't then Kuldeep will come in. Rahul gets a free pass for Rohit's empty position.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd January 2019 at 16:57.
Old 2nd January 2019, 17:28   #11318
BHPian

I just hope that we will not make another selection blunder (we already made selection blunder(s) in SA, ENG and this series) and lose the golden oppurtunity to win a series in AUS.
My team would be
Rahul, Agarwal, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Vihari, Pant, Jadeja, Ashwin/Kuldeep, Sami, Bumrah.
We just need to avoid defeat in this match, so why not play with 6 batsmen and 4 bowlers.
Old 2nd January 2019, 17:30   #11319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
We just need to avoid defeat in this match, so why not play with 6 batsmen and 4 bowlers.
"Because there is not one negative bone in this team"
Old 2nd January 2019, 18:27   #11320
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
What a load of different opinions we have on this forum
Now that so many of us arm-chair selectors, coaches and captains have chosen our playing eleven, let's see what playing eleven is finally chosen by the super-unpredictable combo of Kohli-Shastri , just a few hours away!
Old 2nd January 2019, 20:41   #11321
BHPian

one thing that no one discussed here so far is the 'toss'. i think it will be crucial to the outcome of the match, especially for us. with an impeccable record of never losing a match while winning the toss, i just hope that Kohli wins the toss and India bat first.
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:47   #11322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My guess - Ashwin will be fit enough and will replace Ishant's empty spot; giving us two pacers and two spinners. If he isn't then Kuldeep will come in. Rahul gets a free pass for Rohit's empty position.
* does a jumping fist-bump in air *

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Now that so many of us arm-chair selectors, coaches and captains have chosen our playing eleven, let's see what playing eleven is finally chosen by the super-unpredictable combo of Kohli-Shastri , just a few hours away!
I think I'm getting good at this lol!

And we win the toss and elect to bat!

The Cricket Thread-indiateam.jpg

Jokes apart, this probably will be the last trial for Rahul. Shaw in on the boundary; he just needs one opportunity to get in and Rahul will be the first one to go out. Anybody have any news on Shaw's injury status? Earlier he was supposed to join the last two tests; then the news came that he will miss all tests, without any update if he's good for the ODIs.

Edit: And Rahul is out.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 3rd January 2019 at 05:07.
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:08   #11323
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Jokes apart, this probably will be the last trial for Rahul.
Edit: And Rahul is out.
With another single digit score in the first innings, he is well on the way out of the test team (but luck and favouritism are both not predictable though).

He is another one of the talented lot with lots of promise but failing to deliver.

I hope Mayank settles down well in the opening slot, we desperately need the solidity for that position.
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:20   #11324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

I hope Mayank settles down well in the opening slot, we desperately need the solidity for that position.
Years of toil in FC on varied pitches have helped his game. At least he is not a sitting duck like Rahul etc. He reminds me of Akash Chopra as a batsman. No one can predict the future but for me he at least appears to be a long term solution at the top. Fingers crossed.
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:34   #11325
Distinguished - BHPian

After a fine innings, Mayank is out again in the 70s. got carried away and tried to hit Lyon for a 6 for the second time in 3 balls. His first 6 couple of overs before this and his second 6 couple of balls before this had come off, but this was one too many. This is a learning curve for him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks