Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2019, 17:59   #11431
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
There seems to be a serious reprimand for these two. Rightly so.
If they do get banned for a few games, it doesn't really affect KL Rahul much because he is never in line to play in the XI.
With Pandya, it affects the balance of the team. Have to say in Pandya's case, his antics on the field have sobered down a bit in the last year.
Old 10th January 2019, 18:35   #11432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
How bad was the Koffee with Karan episode with Pandya ?
It was kinda locker room talk; kinda like a bunch of young irresponsible college goers talking crass as usual among themselves. Only issues;
one - they had a bigshot director who initially started egging them saying they are no different than him and then later asking direct questions that elicited the responses that eventually came out
and two - they forgot they were representing the Indian cricket team (KJo purposely states upfront that he's got cricketers for the first time at the beginning) and something much bigger than just themselves.

Not defending the attitude or the responses of both; but I hope they learnt the lesson to keep their mouths shut or atleast at the right time.
Old 10th January 2019, 18:40   #11433
Team-BHP Support

Well, a two match ban then seems fair punishment.

I read that some BCCI folks are LOLing at the irony of #MeToo accused CEO Rahul Johri sending Pandya a showcause notice on being sexist
Old 10th January 2019, 20:52   #11434
Senior - BHPian

Never liked Pandya. He is not worthy of test cricket. Another Mitchell Marsh. And in ODI/t20 he hasn't done anything great either. People call him a genuine all rounder. For me Ben Stokes is an all rounder. Not Pandya.
As for Rahul he is digging his grave deeper. Won't come back in test team and in LOI will be outcasted too.

They both deserves what comes.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:43   #11435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
It was kinda locker room talk; kinda like a bunch of young irresponsible college goers talking crass as usual among themselves.
That's the impression I got too. I mean, I've heard considerably worse come out of the mouths of guys I know. Of course, not defending that, but these guys are basically just out of college too in age terms. I thought these days all teams would have a professional PR team who would make sure each team member understands what to say and what not to say in public at least.

This is where a mature coach like Dravid, Kumble, Kirsten, or John Wright could have made a difference (apart from making a difference in the cricket skills department as well!). A friend who used to travel with the team in a supporting capacity during the John Wright years has mentioned a couple of times how Wright operated and didn't hesitate to speak about player's behavior even off the field. Sadly, the team is now stuck with a coach who can be as crude as any college kid!
Old 11th January 2019, 12:01   #11436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
People call him a genuine all rounder. For me Ben Stokes is an all rounder. Not Pandya.
Generally an all rounder is one whom you consider as a batsman while batting and a bowler while bowling. In Pandya's case, he is considered as a bowler while batting and a batsman while bowling.

Quote:
As for Rahul he is digging his grave deeper. Won't come back in test team and in LOI will be outcasted too.
I think he doesn't care any longer now that he has a job with RBI. Repeating as heard from the horse's mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Of course, not defending that, but these guys are basically just out of college too in age terms.
One of them hasn't been beyond 9th grade. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Interestingly, how or why they chose to even go on a show which has been asking the same questions over years is beyond me. Examples:
Best new talent? Varun/ Ayushman/ Vicky Kaushal..
Rate these actresses? Deepika/ Priyanka/ Kareena/ Alia..
Rate these actors? Salman/ Shahrukh/ Aamir...

The show is ok for voyeurs who want to see how the stars behave. More like a weekly dose of behind the scenes. I wonder how or why cricketers would fit there.

Quote:
Sadly, the team is now stuck with a coach who can be as crude as any college kid!
He isn't a coach. Cheerleader, DUI.
And let us not insult any kids by comparing such a boor with them.
Old 11th January 2019, 12:11   #11437
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Never liked Pandya
Neither do I like him as a person. But I also did not like a lot of Australian cricketers for their personality.

Quote:
. He is not worthy of test cricket.
Agree. Not ready to play test cricket just yet.

Quote:
For me Ben Stokes is an all rounder. Not Pandya.
Disagree. Stokes is a fantastic all rounder. But Pandya is the best seaming all rounder India has currently, unless that Mumbai kid Dubey can upstage him

Quote:
Never say never.

Quote:
They both deserves what comes.
Yes, I hope the 2 match ban is followed by some sponsors / brands pulling out of endorsement deals. That'll hit where it hurts the most
Old 11th January 2019, 12:20   #11438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought these days all teams would have a professional PR team who would make sure each team member understands what to say and what not to say in public at least.
This is where a mature coach like Dravid, Kumble, Kirsten, or John Wright could have made a difference ...how Wright operated and didn't hesitate to speak about player's behavior even off the field. Sadly, the team is now stuck with a coach who can be as crude as any college kid!
Excellent points. I guess the PR role will eventually materialize; considering a lot of the cricket commercial aspects (on and off the ground) are slowly reflecting those of soccer and other big ticket sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Interestingly, how or why they chose to even go on a show which has been asking the same questions over years is beyond me. Examples:
Best new talent? Varun/ Ayushman/ Vicky Kaushal..
Rate these actresses? Deepika/ Priyanka/ Kareena/ Alia..
Rate these actors? Salman/ Shahrukh/ Aamir...

The show is ok for voyeurs who want to see how the stars behave. More like a weekly dose of behind the scenes. I wonder how or why cricketers would fit there.
I can think of many reasons

1. This is probably KJo's push and not the other way; he's practically exhausted the set of actors and combinations that he can bring to the show. I'm expecting he's going to push for more cricketers and maybe other sportsmen going ahead

2. His sticking to those repetitive questions are on purpose; for every show; he sneaks in a few gossip-fueled or masala-creating questions; which is what runs the show primarily. Most actors skillfully negotiate such questions; these guys didn't care a hoot about their reputations

3. This is not going to be detrimental to these guys. At most, it's a slap on the wrist. Infact Pandya might probably enjoy the negative backlash; it's going to make his "image" all the more better in those parties and instragram-hunts he was gushing about. As for the field, if Rahul (and Pandya) are able to manage their next series and especially the IPL games, this is just going to be one more anecdote that will be archived

P.s. this discussion is getting ; isn't the ODI starting tomorrow? What's the update on the ground?
Old 11th January 2019, 12:25   #11439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder how or why cricketers would fit there.
For the same reason cricketers and Bollywood stars are roped in for almost anything in India. Simple, eyeballs. Cricket and Bollywood always draw the most. Irrespective of whether the product, subject, or issue has anything to do with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Yes, I hope the 2 match ban is followed by some sponsors / brands pulling out of endorsement deals.
Might happen, but doubtful. I see most brand managers weighing up the pros of the additional exposure their brand is getting because their brand vehicle is currently embroiled this minor controversy versus the potential minor negative impact of the type of controversy. If the brand is not one that cares about being seen as ethical (emphasis on the words 'being seen as'- no brand is or can actually be ethical for real) or is not a brand that has a need to appeal to women, I don't think they will pull endorsement for something like this.

Quote:
And let us not insult any kids by comparing such a boor with them.
Agreed. My bad. I apologize to any young person who I might have offended by comparing them to the 'honorable' Mr. Shastri!

Last edited by am1m : 11th January 2019 at 12:29.
Old 11th January 2019, 16:31   #11440
Team-BHP Support

Both of them are out of the playing 11 for tomorrow.
Old 11th January 2019, 16:45   #11441
BHPian

Feel really sad for Rahul. Maybe this will be a wake up call for him and he starts to focus more on his cricket.
The only punishment I can think of is to send them back at Domestic level to slog out with other players.
Old 11th January 2019, 16:52   #11442
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope they learn from this experience and are careful with what they say on shows and media in general. The final decision on the ban/other action is yet to happen so this is just an interim step to not consider them for selection in the first ODI to be played tomorrow.

Ironically, Mayank Agarwal had just a couple of days ago credited Rahul with making him feel comfortable before his debut test inning
Old 11th January 2019, 18:08   #11443
Distinguished - BHPian

At the risk of getting flayed by the majority, let me ask this.

Considering we have two decently well-placed wicketkeepers (with some flaws), wouldn't it be a better (and long-term basis) decision to focus on them than keeping Dhoni in the team? This is like 2011-Sachin situation again; we probably are setting up the base for a send-off (retirement) this world cup.

Of course it goes without saying; a team with Dhoni on the list sounds much more convincing than Pant or Saha; but maybe once in a while we should be looking ahead.
Old 11th January 2019, 18:15   #11444
Team-BHP Support

IMO, if MSD fails with the bat in this series he may himself call it quits - considering Pant's growing stature as a batter in the test series.
Old 11th January 2019, 19:27   #11445
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I seriously doubt that. With the WC only a few months away, he's never going to do that, nor will BCCI remove him from the squad if the above happens (even if that might be the right long-term decision).

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th January 2019 at 19:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks