Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2018, 09:44   #11296
BHPian

A great win.
All the naysayers will be quiet till another loss.
The amount of posts, on this thread, when we won is far lesser than the posts we we lost.
Guess we all need to vent out, maybe it's the new normal even if I don't agree with it.
Anyways this article is funny and caustic at its best.
https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/12/3....co/43zEEJL2pR
Old 31st December 2018, 11:15   #11297
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Was amazed looking at the six hit by Pant, just before getting out.
There's a very positive feeling about this team; reminds me of Ranatunga's Sri Lankan team of the 90s - aggressive and ready to make mistakes.
BTW, Ranatunga built a great ODI team. But that team had limited impact in test cricket. I wouldn't extend the aggressiveness in Pant's approach batting to other team members. I feel the team Kohli is trying to build is captured by the post below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Now we still have some technically sound batsmen, but barring a couple of them, everyone else can't bat 10 deliveries without being tempted to hoick a slog to 'express themselves', even if we're 5 down in the first session of a Test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Did anyone watch the video footage of Tim Paine's banter (sledging) with Rishabh Pant ?
https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...-at-mcg/338332
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Getting little annoyed with Pant's constant bickering behind stumps. Even Paine seems to have taken it too far. Its useless batter and un-interesting too. Not sure how being in the team for short time, he has assumed that role.
The 'mental disintegration' tactics by Australia is unsportive, distracting & silly. But we can count on the current team, assembled by Kohli, to repay back in kind
Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Reading about the last noises made by bhpians about Kohli as the captain and Shastri as the coach is it fair to say that if Kohli was not the captain and Shastri was not the coach, then India

- would have won 3-0 in SA
- would have won 5-0 in England
- would be leading the Aussie series 2-0 as we speak
Whatever the result maybe, the case is, Kohli-Shastri duo have their own vested intertests in the play. In certain situations, their individual or joint actions are not in the interests on Indian cricket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Even Rohit was alrite this match and we need batting depth.
Clearly, Vihari is not cut out for the opening. Ideally, Rohit must be replaced by Vihari (or test Karun Nair). But that is not going to happen soon. Last heard, the commentary team (from a certain region of India), wanted Rohit in the test team for his leadership skills in managing Bumrah, their argument being Rohit is Mumbai Indians captain and Bumrah is a team member of that IPL team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
India's two takeaways from the game: give Agarwal an extended run and manage Bumrah's fitness (strike bowler personified).
The captain is doing allright in managing the bowlers - Saw Kohli and his wife give up business class seats for India pacers: Michael Vaughan

Last edited by msdivy : 31st December 2018 at 11:18.
Old 31st December 2018, 12:01   #11298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Rohit Sharma it seems is the lucky charm for us in this series.
Well, the lucky charm will not play in Sydney. He has come back home for the birth of his child.

So that's one forced change. My guess is :

Rohit and Ishant Out
Ashwin & Pandya In

Quote:
Whatever the result maybe, the case is, Kohli-Shastri duo have their own vested intertests in the play.
In hindsight, it is evident that they have been wrong strategically, but what vested interests ? The only reason why a lot of people "tolerate" Kohli is because his will to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Getting little annoyed with Pant's constant bickering behind stumps. Even Paine seems to have taken it too far. Its useless batter and un-interesting too. Not sure how being in the team for short time, he has assumed that role.
This has been going on forever. It's just that the new broadcaster in Australia is making such exchanges public.

Quote:
The 'mental disintegration' tactics by Australia is unsportive, distracting & silly. But we can count on the current team, assembled by Kohli, to repay back in kind
Absolutely.

Last edited by Eddy : 31st December 2018 at 12:05.
Old 31st December 2018, 12:09   #11299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The only reason why a lot of people "tolerate" Kohli is because his will to win.
True. I don't think there's anyone more determined and "willed" to win. There's genuine disappointment/frustration in him when he gets out and the team isn't in a position to win.

The other, more important, factor I believe is, his is by far the most consistent member of the team. Bumrah, perhaps, can stake a claim to that now. But Kohli is just right up there: he's been performing across formats, teams and venues..
Old 31st December 2018, 12:13   #11300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
...The 'mental disintegration' tactics by Australia is unsportive, distracting & silly.
My point had nothing to do with verbal abuse, sledging, or whatever fancy term it's called these days.

I was pointing to temperament and situational awareness. Mayank Agarwal in the third test is a good recent example among the non-established bunch. Solid defence when necessary, controlled aggression when appropriate.

Quote:
The captain is doing allright in managing the bowlers....

...Saw Kohli and his wife give up business class seats for India pacers
Generous gesture aside, irrelevant to my point again.

Bumrah's unusual bowling action will necessitate focused and ongoing biomechanical conditioning, training and workload mgmt. Hopefully those aspects are taken care of because he's absolutely top drawer and arguably the best bowler in the current bunch.
Old 31st December 2018, 17:33   #11301
BHPian

Rohit Sharma has traveled back to India as his wife has given birth to their son. He is not going to be back in time for the next test.
Old 31st December 2018, 19:50   #11302
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Rohit Sharma has traveled back to India as his wife has given birth to their son. He is not going to be back in time for the next test.
Ideal time to try Parthiv Patel as the opener and move Vihari back to number 6. But I fear they will bring back either Rahul or Vijay.
Old 31st December 2018, 20:02   #11303
BHPian

Good win for India and pretty much as expected after Aussies folded in the first innings. All my teenagers are out with chest thumping and media bashing as always.

Fact - this is the weakest Aussie team in two decades. Their batting is among the worst right now and it showed. I don't even care about that.

All I care about is that the team I am supporting, plays the game in a respectful manner. I am disgusted with the current India team, it does not matter if they win, if they lose, it is easier to knock some senses back to their heads.
Old 1st January 2019, 17:38   #11304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Did anyone watch the video footage of Tim Paine's banter (sledging) with Rishabh Pant ?
https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...-at-mcg/338332
Tim Paine: “Have him over for dinner. Can you babysit? (Can I) take the wife to the movies one night, you can look after the kids?”
Pant obliges

The Cricket Thread-img_20190101_173453.jpg

Check out @ICC’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/ICC/status/1080013501974831104?s=08
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:44   #11305
Senior - BHPian

India's 13-man shortlist for SCG Test: Virat Kohli (C), A Rahane (VC), KL Rahul, Mayank Agarwal, C Pujara, H Vihari, R Pant, R Jadeja, K Yadav, R Ashwin, M Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Umesh Yadav

I don't get why Umesh Yadav gets picked over Bhuvi. The latter bats way better and is also more consistent as a bowler. Maybe Kohli wants a bowler who can run through sides with sheer pace. But then Shami is also an enforcer.
I would be happier if they go in with 2 pacers and 2 spinners with Vihari doing the job of a 5th bowler.

My XI would be:
Virat Kohli (C), A Rahane (VC), KL Rahul, Mayank Agarwal, C Pujara, H Vihari, R Pant, R Jadeja, K Yadav, M Shami, Jasprit Bumrah

I am keeping my fingers crossed that we don't make a selection blunder again and wrap up this series 3-1
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:51   #11306
BHPian

So no Pandya or Ashwin in the 13. I hope the team management won't misread the pitch this time around. This Aussie side presents a golden opportunity for a rare overseas series victory for India and I would love to see the team go for it.
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:57   #11307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
India's 13-man shortlist for SCG Test:
Why is Ishant not in? Are they resting him or is he not useful on this pitch? But then why Yadav? And why is KL Rahul back?!

Doesn't look like Ashwin will play given that he's not yet fully recovered. So, they're picking Rahul because there's no one better now?! Rather try Pandya.
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:03   #11308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
So no Pandya or Ashwin in the 13.
Ashwin is in the 13. Though I dont think he should play considering he is not 100% fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Why is Ishant not in? Are they resting him or is he not useful on this pitch? But then why Yadav? And why is KL Rahul back?!
Doesn't look like Ashwin will play given that he's not yet fully recovered. So, they're picking Rahul because there's no one better now?! Rather try Pandya.
I think they want to go in with 2 pacers so no Ishant. Unless there is an injury to him they havent announced yet. Then the confusing part is why pick Umesh?

Rahul is likelier to open so that Vihari can return to his preferred spot of no. 6 though that is a huge adjustment for someone a few tests old. Pandya may not have recovered fully for tests. They may have flown him in early to acclimatise for the ODIs or for new year celebrations. Or even maybe to stop him doing silly ads (anyone seen the Star ad with him and Dhoni?)

My only grouse is why not Bhuvi in place of Umesh? I am looking forward to Kuldeep playing 'bamboozled' with Aussie batsmen. Any idea why Chahal is not in the long form shortlists? Does he not play first class cricket?
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:16   #11309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Why is Ishant not in? Are they resting him or is he not useful on this pitch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I think they want to go in with 2 pacers so no Ishant. Unless there is an injury to him they havent announced yet. Then the confusing part is why pick Umesh?
Ishant has some discomfort in his left rib and he has been rested.
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:35   #11310
Team-BHP Support

Ishant is out injured. I hope Ashwin is fit enough to replace him, else it'll be Yadav. If it is a rough surface, India expects more reverse swing from Yadav wrt Bhuvi, hence his inclusion.

Rahul is most likely to replace Rohit.

Most Viewed