Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2021, 14:37   #14116
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
BCCI should either sack Kohli as Captain in all formats or not bring Kumble back.
Agreed. Actually, I wish to see Kumble coaching the team that has Kohli as just a player, especially tests.
BTW, Can't judge Kumble on IPL record.
If that's the yardstick, it's interesting to see Kohli's IPL record as captain of RCB , that started 8 years back
Finalists - 1
Trophies - 0

Last edited by redCherry : 18th September 2021 at 14:38.
redCherry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 15:21   #14117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Agreed. Actually, I wish to see Kumble coaching the team that has Kohli as just a player, especially tests.
BTW, Can't judge Kumble on IPL record.
If that's the yardstick, it's interesting to see Kohli's IPL record as captain of RCB , that started 8 years back
Finalists - 1
Trophies - 0
What did Ganguly say? I happen to read that he mentioned the outlook is towards a better future. Probably look at someone younger to captain the T20 side.

There are few tweets mentioning Kohli wanted Rohit to step down as VC. Also few rumours of Ganguly has asked Kumble to apply for Head Coach.

Ganguly as a player, as a Captain and now as BCCI Chief never fails to entertain

PS: If RCB wins this IPL then Kohli should wave his shirt from the balcony of Bhurj Khalifa
Old 18th September 2021, 15:55   #14118
Distinguished - BHPian

An interesting read about the present humdrum of Indian cricket and also the position of Virat Kohli in the team. Please don’t go by the headline, the content is even more damning in some respect. Going through the article, I can now gauge the present ongoings about captaincy.

https://www.telegraphindia.com/sport...sy/cid/1831146
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 17:25   #14119
BHPian

Kumble didn't have a fair run last time around. Let's see what he can do if indeed he gets to have a go. But appointing him will be akin to adding gasoline to fire with Kohli around!

If pandering to vk is what is needed, best to appoint a placeholder like Vikram Rathore, or better still, bring back sanjay bangar
Old 18th September 2021, 18:58   #14120
Team-BHP Support

Anil Kumble has failed as a coach and as an administrator in all the roles he has taken up post retirement.

I am sure there are much better options available. Ganguly needs to step up.
Old 18th September 2021, 19:41   #14121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Kumble didn't have a fair run last time around. Let's see what he can do if indeed he gets to have a go. But appointing him will be akin to adding gasoline to fire with Kohli around!

If pandering to vk is what is needed, best to appoint a placeholder like Vikram Rathore, or better still, bring back sanjay bangar

It’s looking like a total power struggle between BCCI and Kohli. I’d be inclined to give Mike Hesson a shot.
Old 18th September 2021, 21:02   #14122
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
It’s looking like a total power struggle between BCCI and Kohli. I’d be inclined to give Mike Hesson a shot.
BCCI gave in to Kohli's demands the last time around and replaced Kumble with Shastri. Now, when the team seems to have good harmony and is working together well as a unit, going back to Kumble doesn't seem right (nothing to do with his abilities or skills as a coach), I just hope this twist doesn't end up worsening the situation.
I think with the current set of players including our bench strength, a good man manager who can maintain harmony and team morale is the need of the hour, not anyone who can polarise the team or allow "groups" to form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Ganguly needs to step up.
Will be interesting to see what he does, after all he also had a similar situation to handle and was like Kohli back then for a period of time having differences with the coach Chappel as well as countered BCCI by having total clout over team selection decisions. Now he's on the other side

Last edited by NPV : 18th September 2021 at 21:08.
Old 18th September 2021, 21:18   #14123
BHPian

Quote:
Mahela has said no, beyond him, I doubt they will consider a foreign candidate.

Laxman is also in the fray but I think kumble has better credentials. Between the two, vk may prefer vvs
Old 18th September 2021, 23:08   #14124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Anil Kumble has failed as a coach and as an administrator in all the roles he has taken up post retirement.

I am sure there are much better options available. Ganguly needs to step up.
Precisely my point.
We are no doubt the best team in Tests right now. In White ball too we give England and Australia a proper fight always. For the first time in Indian cricket history we have brilliant pace attack and their great backups too along with outstanding spin attack as usual. Why BCCI wants to screw with all this is beyond me. They want a young T20 Captain. No issues, select one. But bring a coach who gets along well with everyone in team and especially the Captain.

We can call Shastri a drunkard and whatever but there is no doubt he has always United the team and that's why India has done very well in all formats past few years. Anyways, let the IPL begin and we will see how things develop.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 23:14   #14125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Mahela has said no, beyond him, I doubt they will consider a foreign candidate.

Laxman is also in the fray but I think kumble has better credentials. Between the two, vk may prefer vvs
VVS is too good of a guy against an aggressive Kohli. Ravi Shastri worked because he did not interfere with Kohli's thought process. He was the "yes" man for the captain.

There are few good candidates around and hope BCCI atleast lets them have a fair shot at the job.

Mahela
Moody
Sanga
Fleming
Mike Hussey
Hesson
Ponting (far fetched, another Chappel?)
Old 18th September 2021, 23:28   #14126
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
We can call Shastri a drunkard and whatever but there is no doubt he has always United the team and that's why India has done very well in all formats past few years.
Yes, we all know Shastri has hardly been a "coach" but has been a very good team manager. He should be credited for bringing the team together, maintaining harmony, instilling belief, sharing successes, etc which are all very essential traits of a world class team. He has also helped address the Kohli-Rohit rift/misunderstanding.

By far, this is the best team we've ever had, so we don't really need a high profile past player as coach. We need someone who can help maintain the team harmony, Rathore should be fine I think. Why bring Kumble/Laxman etc at this point ?

Last edited by Sheel : 19th September 2021 at 10:08. Reason: As requested.
Old 19th September 2021, 09:51   #14127
BHPian

I think I agree with the views that Kumble might not be the right candidate. Unfortunately this looks like an ego battle between BCCI and Kohli, and the BCCI want to send the message on “who’s boss“, and therefore we might end up with someone that Kohli hates (Kumble), probably to the peril of the Indian team.
Old 19th September 2021, 10:05   #14128
Senior - BHPian

I really don't think we need a foreigner as coach now. Like others mentioned, we don't need a real coach at this point. A good people manager would do. This is the best team India has produced in a while, and we should not do anything that destroys it. I hate Kohli's antics, but I think his personality is a big reason for the fighting spirit that India is showing. And we are the most aggressive cricket team in the world right now. No other team in the recent past has come back this many times from the verge of failure and bullied the opposition.

While Rohit Sharma is a great player, the fact remains that he peaked late. If he had played tests as well as he is doing now a bit more earlier, he would have had a chance at captiancy. Now I don't think he will get a chance. White ball captaincy should go to someone who will play for atleast the next five years and will take over test captaincy in the next couple of years.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 19th September 2021 at 10:08.
Old 19th September 2021, 22:37   #14129
BHPian

News on ESPNCricinfo that Kohli will be stepping down as RCB captain at the end in IPL 2021.
Old 19th September 2021, 22:44   #14130
BHPian

Quote:
News on ESPNCricinfo that Kohli will be stepping down as RCB captain at the end in IPL 2021.
Yes. Its official that Kohli is stepping down as RCB captain at the end of this years IPL. Looks like he is focused to work on his batting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks