Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2021, 13:56   #631
BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Dear Friends,

Need your input for buying a queen size mattress.
1. I am a side and back sleeper (predominantly side).
2. I also have issues of neck pain and lower back pain.
3. I intend to use my products for long. So mattress wont be changed for around 10 years.
4. I live in Chennai, where the weather can be its HOT, Burning, In a Furnace for close to 8 months.
Considering the above give your suggestions for a good mattress. Budget can be max 75K.
I checked tempur in my sisters place. found it to be too soft for my liking. My present mattress sleepwell is OK.
Any good brands with very good reliability between the regulars and premium would be welcom
Thanks in advance.
Barath
Have more or less same problem as you.

Also, our cot is custom built and doesn't fall under the standard queen or king size at all.

Have decided to go for a latex mattress but all the guys refused to customise to my cot. Ended up identifying a local guy through another bhpian friend and got a 6inch latex mattress custom made. My back is happy since last September. I can PM you the contact if you need.
Old 9th April 2021, 14:02   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
.....So I highly recommend Foams India's latex mattresses.

Cheers!
+1 to that. I picked up 2 mattresses from them, a Pearl and a Popular. Its been 6 months and I think this is pretty much the best latex mattress money can buy.
The purchase was made online and they do deliver to places where they don't have outlets.
Roy.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 08:28   #633
kcz
BHPian

Catching up on this thread after a long time. Looks like this is one of the most active non-auto threads on this forum 😊. As I mentioned a couple of years back, I have been a long-term Sunday mattress user (since 2016 when they started in a two-bedroom house). I own a Latex Plus 3G, Ortho Plus 3G mattresses, and my extended family has another 3 Ortho Plus ones. All of them are still going good and I personally use Latex Plus and haven’t had any back issues so far after switching to Sunday.

Here are a couple of observations on those mattresses after having used them for multiple years:

I always thought they brought good products/concepts to the market long before their competition caught up and started imitating them. For example, they bet on Latex long before it became a trend and source the best of raw materials. Their push for using best available natural raw materials is what has drawn me towards them. Natural latex, use of organic cotton zipper cover (as opposed to polyester) etc.

I believe the quality and the amount of latex being used on the mattresses makes a lot a difference and they seem to have nailed that (Latex Pus being on the plush side and Ortho Plus being on the firmer side)

Compression vs non-compression: I have seen mattresses getting shipped in a compressed form (similar to the Casper mattresses in the US) which expand on opening to their original form. I checked with Sunday folks and they don’t compress their mattresses because as per their research compressing the bed reduces the life of the mattress.

Discounts vs no discounts: I have tried to bargain and get some discounts when I got 3 orthoplus mattresses shipped to my folks back in Andhra and never managed to get them to budge. They were ok to throw in an extra pillow or two but never more than that. Their logic is that we reduce the price so that the lower price is accessible to everyone when we can provide a value. I like the brands that take a non-gimmicky approach to pricing and I am bad at bargaining anyway.

Customer Service:

In my experience, their customer service was straight forward and honest whenever I interacted. The team clearly states what it can do and cannot do. The team are friendly and made minor exceptions - I got a free zipper cover when mine was torn after two years.

If something is outside the policy, I think they are friendly enough to make an exception if it's small favour. If it's entirely outside the policy, it might be financially unviable. When I was buying the mattress, I just went with the reviews (of course there were a handful of bad reviews around customer support etc. which would happen with any brand) and took the plunge.

Delivery:

Their delivery in Bangalore is almost always on the same day (although they say 3-4 days). Outstation has been without an issue when I ordered for my parents in Andhra Pradesh.

Summary:

I would agree with what GTO said few pages back. My experience continues to be very good with my Latex Plus/Ortho Plus mattresses.

If you are looking for the best in class mattress and no-nonsense customer service and pricing, I will bet on a Sunday mattress any day.

If you are looking for a more temporary mattress and want a cheaper product, Sunday may not be a good bet.

I also like that they are boot-strapped and go the extra mile to produce excellent products rather than substantial marketing budgets like other brands. They also take a long-term approach to D2C commerce, stay agile, profitable, and grow organically. To me, sustainability of a company is essential as otherwise there is no use of a 10 yr warranty product if the brand is just focused on selling at any price and eventually disappear or get acquired.

My 2 cents.

Thanks,
Kiran
kcz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 12:13   #634
BHPian

FYI - after an exhaustive search and checking samples from Duroflex, Ikea, Peps, Foam Home (Tardeo, Mubmbai) - Latex, Pocket Spring with Latex, Foam+Latex, Foam etc., my back liked Duroflex Tatva the best. Delivery times were all over the place for Morning Owl,Foams India - so ruled out. Also, I was a bit hesitant about pure Latex after I discovered that I dislike less-firm Pure Latex - Duroflex Kaya did not worK. I like firm with a softly yielding top.

So, finally bought the Duroflex Tatva for my Queen master bed, plus Duroflex Energize Eurotop for the Guest Bed Queen + Customized Kids size. 3 mattress protectors + 5 pillows free. The customer service from the Duroflex store I chose in Mumbai is top notch. Hopefully, I won't have to visit this thread in search of options for at least half a decade!
Old 8th June 2021, 12:17   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone know where I can see and buy these?

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0825B11QD/...GMDNRDJFDBMB71
Old 21st June 2021, 17:06   #636
BHPian

HI,

I am searching for a mattress king size 78x72 for my bed. I can only fit 6 inch mattress because of the design of my bed.

I suffer from lower back pain so soft mattress is out of question.

I went to check blackmagic from duroflex but it had already sagged in the showroom and also did not like it, balance mattress was good.

I checked online for a combination of coir and latex, and sunidra gives that combination but their website has a mattress with 4 inch coir and 1 inch latex, so i gave them a call and they are ready to make a custom mattress with 4 inch coir and 2 inch latex. The price quoted is around 23-24k. Has anyone here bought from Sunidra?

Sunday's ortho plus looks really good but ruled out due to 8 inch thickness and they are not ready to make a custom size mattress with 6 inch thickness for me.

I also came across springtek via google and found their supernova latex and memory fits my budget and also has latex + memory foam + HR foam, but dont know about the customer service. This is costing me around 21-22k. They also give 11 years warranty with free replacement in 1 year and on prorata basis after that.

Should I try any of these or should I stick to the known brands?
I currently use a 6 inch mattress which has sagged terribly and I frankly dont remember the material used in my mattress. Only thing I remember is it has 1 inch memory foam on top.
Old 30th July 2021, 13:25   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

Would anyone know where I can find traditional Japanese Shikibuton Mattresses in India? There's also mattresses filled with Kapok, found in the Nilgiris. I am a traditional floor sleeper, and would like to hide the mattresses when I am not asleep to get floor space.
Old 30th July 2021, 14:04   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
HI,

I am searching for a mattress king size 78x72 for my bed. I can only fit 6 inch mattress because of the design of my bed.

I had a requirement similar to yours. Custom shape, weak back hence a firm mattress. I used Wakefit - and i love their mattress (not hard but still works) but they dont do custom. Didnt want to more than 25K. Checked out durfi - went with their ortho matress. Though they didnt nail the custom shape -
the comfort is terrific. Loving the purchase. Cost came up to 20-21k.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st September 2022 at 17:01. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:41   #639
Senior - BHPian

I had to dig for some information on mattresses and found that there are so many criteria for selection. Let me try to list the broad categories.

1) Spring mattress
Options: Pocket vs Bonnel, with pocket springs being premium.
On top of the spring structure, there can be a foam layer. The firmness depends on the composition and thickness of the foam layer.

2) Foam mattress
Options: Latex vs Memory. The firmness depends on the composition of different layers.

3) Coir mattress
Made from rubberized coir and can have foam layers, which decide the firmness.

4) Cotton mattress
These tend to sag and lose dimension over time. Needs to be reshaped after a couple of years.

(Note that any of these types can be a good orthopedic mattress, that is which can provide a firm support to the body and take care of joints)

A couple of questions:
1) How do you go about selecting the type?
Say whether to go for pocket spring with memory foam or go for Latex mattress?

2) In terms of durability, say given a 20 years period, which type of mattress would hold better?

Last edited by msdivy : 2nd August 2021 at 12:43.
Old 2nd August 2021, 21:21   #640
BHPian

For those who have back pain issues should not make things complicated. After having used a coir mattress for 15 years we(wife included) are now unable to adjust to any other "innovative" breed of mattress. Not to mention I also experience backpain if I use too soft mattress. I have tried these roll able mattress, the sleepyhead type and also the sandwich variety containing multiple layers of PU foam, Hi density foam and coir. I haven't tried latex mattresses but have tried latex pillows and I didn't quite like its character.
After experiencing different type of mattresses personally I have come to the conclusion that most of these innovation in mattress industry is around 2 factors, cost and weight. Coir is cheap but coir is extremely heavy. Coir mattress is too heavy to handle. But it is like split AC. Install and forget. It will give you decades of service and excellent sleep. Given that people need to move and shift it becomes impractical. If it has to be moved around in the house even that will be a bit cumbersome. Hence they have come with all varieties of foam and mix and match of these leading to wide variety of products. Foam is light and cheap and easy to work with(like plywood vs wood) but not firm, coir is firm but heavy but not easy to work with. My next mattress will invariably be a simple 4-5 inches of coir topped with a layer of foam and fabric no matter how heavy it is.
huntrz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:45   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
I had a requirement similar to yours. Custom shape, weak back hence a firm mattress. I used Wakefit - and i love their mattress (not hard but still works) but they dont do custom. Didnt want to more than 25K. Checked out durfi - went with their ortho matress. Though they didnt nail the custom shape -
the comfort is terrific. Loving the purchase. Cost came up to 20-21k.
I actually went with the Sunday Ortho Latex 4 Mattress. It provides good back support. 8 inch is little too thick for my liking but I guess I should be just fine.
It is medium firm. I also went for Sprinktek Supernova Latex & Memory custom size for my 6.5 year old son in exact same combination as Sunday Ortho.
Both are 8 inch with 5 inch HR foam, 1 inch Memory foam and 2 inches Latex.
However, the springtek is more cushy and soft compared to Sunday. I guess they both use different density of foam. My son likes his mattress (Springtek) I and my wife like ours (Sunday). So its a win-win situation
Old 2nd September 2021, 17:17   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
I was looking for a decent mattress to get my 10 year old 3" coir mattress. After lot of so called market research with different dealer with their respective brands helped me in getting confused . And then came the savior! I just went through this wonderful thread and finally decided to go for Esteem Supportec of My Mattress range from Sleepwell. I hope I am taking correct decision .
I have been suggested Sleepwell Esteem along with some other suggestions from Kurl on as well. Can you tell me how Esteem has been over these years?
Old 2nd September 2021, 20:12   #643
BHPian

Can the experts here guide me on which is the type of mattress that comes closest to the feel and firmness of a traditional box-type cotton mattress? We've been using cotton mattresses for-ever and just playing with the idea of considering a non cotton mattress. Most important points are that they should not be susceptible to "heating" and should not make one feel hot, sweaty and stuffy while sleeping - specially as we dont use AC at night; and the firmness is critical since we have rather weak backs and necks.

I don't want something that will sag or create a mid-body-sized depression over the years. We're spending close to 7.5K each year re-doing our old cotton mattresses and apparently, the quality of cotton and/or the workmanship of making the good old mattresses is now fading. They weigh a ton and end up with the massive depression on either side and a hump in the middle. Budget is not a concern as I can stretch up-to 75K for king size. Its because we spend nearly 1/3rd of our lives sleeping and it better be good.

Last edited by vsathyap : 2nd September 2021 at 20:13. Reason: Added more details
Old 6th September 2021, 10:12   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
I have been suggested Sleepwell Esteem along with some other suggestions from Kurl on as well. Can you tell me how Esteem has been over these years?
I've been using it for few years, but I have mixed thought. Firstly, I will not recommend it, if you sit for bed. The mattress dunks in and it feels uncomfortable. However while sleeping, it is still quite cosy. I'll say quite, because I am observing, that it has now started deforming a bit. I believe it should still serve the purpose for another 2 - 4 years if I keep on rotating the sides.
coolbareilly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:11   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

I've got a weird issue. Planning to replace my 6 year old queen size mattress, that I picked from Boston Mattress. The problem I'm facing is how to get rid of the old one? It's fully functional still, 10 inch spring and foam. I can't just dump it in the society bin, and an unable to find any exchange or disposal services for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks