Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 13:01   #3631
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Can i charge the Niyo card using my credit card?
No.. Niyo is a debit card. You basically open a savings account with DCB and instead of a normal debit card you get a foreign currency one.

The rates are too good though. Sometimes I have gotten a better rate than what i see on FX websites. I am not sure how their business model works.

And the best part is you can use in any country unlike the normal foreign currency card where u can only use the currency that you have loaded. You can also recharge the card from anywhere in the world as long as you receive the OTP.
anandhsub is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 19:16   #3632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
No.. Niyo is a debit card. You basically open a savings account with DCB and instead of a normal debit card you get a foreign currency one.
Just thinking aloud, so humour me.

Can’t I use my credit card to transfer funds to Paytm, and then use paytm to transfer funds to this NIYO account? Would that work you think?

Of course, I am trying to have the best worlds of a delayed payment accrual as well as great international forex fees.
Old 18th April 2020, 20:35   #3633
BHPian

Quote:

Can’t I use my credit card to transfer funds to Paytm, and then use paytm to transfer funds to this NIYO account? Would that work you think?

Of course, I am trying to have the best worlds of a delayed payment accrual as well as great international forex fees.
IIRC, paytm charges 5% for wallet to bank transfer.
prateekm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 12:22   #3634
BHPian

Quote:

prateekm already told you the downside. There is another option with a lower cost.
Payzapp wallet of HDFC charges 2.85%+GST.
You can try that.
In case you want a slightly off-beat idea (potentially risky), do ping me.
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:13   #3635
BANNED

My wife is having a ICICI Platinum Chip Credit Card for the last 9 years and that is her first credit card. She is not using it regularly since she is having other premium cards.

Does cancelling an old credit card affect her CRISIL rating?
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:40   #3636
Distinguished - BHPian

Axis Bank unilaterally lowered my credit limit from 200K to 25K without any warning even though I have held a Titanium card since 2007. This is with an impeccable payment history with full payment before due dates and multiple EMI options being exercised.

Had my salary account with them between 2006-2017, and they must be revisiting all such cases where the relationship is solely credit card based. Believe Kotak also aggressively doing so.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...7.cms?from=mdr

I respect Axis Bank's right to take this action but am disturbed in the abrupt manner it was done. Only when I tried to use my card online did I realize the limit had been slashed.!

I will certainly take my business elsewhere after this billing cycle.

Last edited by itwasntme : 22nd April 2020 at 10:46.
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:53   #3637
Senior - BHPian

Read hear about Axis bank reducing credit card limit. on this thread couldn't understand why they should do that
Surprisingly HDFC called me yesterday and increased credit limit on HDFC regalia CC to 5.25L . I thought this might be due to extra liquidity injected by RBI and Banks are now looking for people to whome they can lend.

I have no other relationship with HDFC apart from CC.
Old 1st May 2020, 14:04   #3638
Senior - BHPian

The Credit Card Thread

Need some suggestion on credit cards. I have been using 2 credit cards for many years now. One, a Citibank Indian oil card, which has been with me for more than 12 years now, but the credit limit has remained just around 1 lakh, and Citibank refused to increase the credit limit in spite my income going up over these years. And the card does not have much benefits, points can be redeemed for fuel at select Indian oil bunks. I would say I redeem about 1500 worth of Fuel once in 5-6 months.

The second one is an Amex Platinum travel card, I got this about 5 years ago, primarily because the Citibank card I had did not have a decent limit, and I found the Amex to be good to have especially during big ticket purchases. So what kept me going with Amex was the lure of flight ticket vouchers and Taj hotel vouchers. Now, 5 years down the line, I have used Taj vouchers almost every year worth about 10k each year, but have never been able to use the flight ticket vouchers, mainly because I travel by road to nearby locations and take overseas vacations on alternate years. And the Amex points cannot be used for international tickets, you need to convert them to miles of select airlines, and the result works out the same as converting the points to cash. So nearly 90k points in Amex have been just lying unused.

So, I was thinking of giving up the Citi bank card and retaining only Amex, the only disadvantage being Amex is not accepted in a lot of places in India even now. Alternatively, Im thinking of even giving up Amex and looking at an Icici credit card since my salary account is in Icici, so I might be able to get a new card with a decent limit.

Any idea if there is any icici affiliated card which works well for lifestyle purposes like dining out, shopping etc?

Last edited by motorworks : 1st May 2020 at 14:06.
Old 1st May 2020, 15:30   #3639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

So, I was thinking of giving up the Citi bank card and retaining only Amex, the only disadvantage being Amex is not accepted in a lot of places in India even now. Alternatively, Im thinking of even giving up Amex and looking at an Icici credit card since my salary account is in Icici, so I might be able to get a new card with a decent limit.

Any idea if there is any icici affiliated card which works well for lifestyle purposes like dining out, shopping etc?
Give up Citibank Credit Card and get an HDFC Regalia or Infinia. Continue with the Amex Platinum Travel.

The advantage of Amex is that the points dont expire. Regarding you issue of not being able to book International Flights with Points, I would suggest converting Reward Points to Marriott Bonvoy Points @ 1:1 conversion ratio. Sometimes Amex even runs 50% extra points offer. That is the most sweetest deal possible.

90,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points can get you around 5 Nights of stay in a Category 2 or 3 Hotel under the Marriott Bonvoy Program. If you need more information on the Marriott Bonvoy program, you can check this link:

http://luxurylifeonbudget.com/blog/m...rogram-review/

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd May 2020 at 12:51. Reason: Trimmed quote.
tejas08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:57   #3640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The second one is an Amex Platinum travel card, I got this about 5 years ago, primarily because the Citibank card I had did not have a decent limit, and I found the Amex to be good to have especially during big ticket purchases....

...Any idea if there is any icici affiliated card which works well for lifestyle purposes like dining out, shopping etc?
I too have Amex for the last 20 years - Air India Gold Charge and a normal Gold. Apart from that that there are a bunch of cards that Banks have pushed. I have been using ICICI Platinum (LTF) card for the last 16 year. Recently I got the ICICI Amazon card, and that helps as I get a cashback on every purchase from Amazon. If you are an existing ICICI customer and have their card, getting the Amazon card is a breeze. All you have to do is apply on the Amazon site and it gets approved instantly. You are sent a facsimile of the card so that you can use it immediately, and the physical card arrives in less than a week.

I recommend that you retain the AMEX card as it is accepted at all lifestyle related outlets. One work around in establishments that do not accept AMEX is to use PayTM for payment and charge it with AMEX. I do that for buying milk and vegetables.

Apart from that all you need is a Visa card and I find ICICI Amazon the most optimum for my usage.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd May 2020 at 12:52. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 2nd May 2020, 13:49   #3641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Give up Citibank Credit Card and get an HDFC Regalia or Infinia. Continue with the Amex Platinum Travel.

The advantage of Amex is that the points dont expire. Regarding you issue of not being able to book International Flights with Points, I would suggest converting Reward Points to Marriott Bonvoy Points @ 1:1 conversion ratio. Sometimes Amex even runs 50% extra points offer. That is the most sweetest deal possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I too have Amex for the last 20 years - Air India Gold Charge and a normal Gold. Apart from that that there are a bunch of cards that Banks have pushed. I have been using ICICI Platinum (LTF) card for the last 16 year. Recently I got the ICICI Amazon card, and that helps as I get a cashback on every purchase from Amazon. If you are an existing ICICI customer and have their card, getting the Amazon card is a breeze. All you have to do is apply on the Amazon site and it gets approved instantly. You are sent a facsimile of the card so that you can use it immediately, and the physical card arrives in less than a week.

I recommend that you retain the AMEX card as it is accepted at all lifestyle related outlets. One work around in establishments that do not accept AMEX is to use PayTM for payment and charge it with AMEX. I do that for buying milk and vegetables.

Apart from that all you need is a Visa card and I find ICICI Amazon the most optimum for my usage.

Thanks for the inputs, so I think for sure Im going to be giving up the Citi Bank credit card. Amex, well, let me retain it for now, and may be I will check out a few icici cards and see the benefits. Im also trying to bring down by monthly credit card spends, so want to stick to one card in the long run, and that too mainly for big ticket spends, office and personal travels etc.
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:56   #3642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs, so I think for sure Im going to be giving up the Citi Bank credit card. Amex, well, let me retain it for now, and may be I will check out a few icici cards and see the benefits. Im also trying to bring down by monthly credit card spends, so want to stick to one card in the long run, and that too mainly for big ticket spends, office and personal travels etc.
Actually if you are financially prudent and pay the full amount by due date, you should maximize purchases using cards as you not only get bonus points but if like me, you time the large purchases properly, you will get upto 50 days credit.

As my cards billing cycle are spread between 18th and 24th I tend to time big ticket purchases after 18th for one card and 25th for the other.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:21   #3643
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone used the housing or no broker app to pay their rent through their credit card? Any downside to this? Seems to be a redgiraffe initiative.

Last edited by Red Liner : 3rd May 2020 at 12:28.
Old 10th May 2020, 15:53   #3644
BHPian

Has HDFC Diners Black ended the 10x points program?

I dont see it in their website anymore.

But on the smartbuy website it still says 10x points.. so I'm confused now.

Also still haven't received my bonus reward points last month or this month. They haven't been this late ever.

Has anyone received the bonus points?

UPDATE : Was finally able to speak to the bank and found out below things -

1) 10x partner reward points schemes are switched OFF since 1st april 2020 - This is a bummer, lets see if it resumes post lockdown or not
2) All earlier 10x reward points will be credited post lockdown as the concerned team isnt working right now
Attached Thumbnails
The Credit Card Thread-screenshot_20200510155104.jpg  

Last edited by dhruvwali : 10th May 2020 at 16:10.
dhruvwali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 16:11   #3645
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone used the housing or no broker app to pay their rent through their credit card? Any downside to this? Seems to be a redgiraffe initiative.
Going to try this out this month. Cant see any downside yet.

Most Viewed