Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2022, 16:43   #5131
BHPian
 
logicalidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Kannur/B'lore
Posts: 121
Thanked: 491 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Bank of Baroda is offering life time free credit card.
Thanks mate!

Since it is a LTF credit card and wouldn't hurt to have one, I applied in the same week the above was posted or maybe a few days after. Whole application process and KYC was done online.

However today I received a call from one of the agent (guess from the local branch) for further verification. This is supposed to be an in-home verification which seems an unnecessary step considering the application process and KYC was done online, and now Bank of Baroda wants to do this part alone in person. The agent didn't come to my house though, instead he decided to call me to brief me on what all details is required and asked if I could provide it over phone . Considering it's Covid, even I liked the idea. Below are the things he said he requires, some of which makes me little uncomfortable.
  1. Photo of the house which I stay in - Really?
  2. No. of years stayed in the house - Don't understand how does this matter
  3. Name of the person to whom the house belongs to - Not comfortable disclosing, not sure why do they require this detail
  4. No. of members staying in the house and how they are related - Again, how does this matter?
  5. Name & Contact of one of the neighbour - Okay I completely lost it at this point
  6. Name of the company & designation at workplace - this seems okay but again I think I provided this on the online application

Most of the questions above seem very uncommon to me and was never asked before during any credit card applications. Anybody has any experience on the above? I don't mind disclosing if these are common and it is my unawareness but otherwise I think I'll think twice before going ahead.

Last edited by logicalidiot : 27th January 2022 at 16:48.
logicalidiot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 17:21   #5132
BHPian
 
Piyush_DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 74
Thanked: 235 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

  1. Photo of the house which I stay in - Really?
  2. No. of years stayed in the house - Don't understand how does this matter
  3. Name of the person to whom the house belongs to - Not comfortable disclosing, not sure why do they require this detail
  4. No. of members staying in the house and how they are related - Again, how does this matter?
  5. Name & Contact of one of the neighbour - Okay I completely lost it at this point
  6. Name of the company & designation at workplace - this seems okay but again I think I provided this on the online application

I was also asked questions by PNB on the same line for Car loan. It is strange cause SBI never asked me any of the questions when I was taking home loan where the amount was almost 04 times. The executive came to my place.

Below were the questions.

1. What is in your EAST/WEST/SOUTH/NORTH?
2. Contact info of landlord?
3. Contact info of any local friend/colleague?
4. Email ID of company which can confirm you work there? They actually sent email even after giving them salary and appointment letter.

Maybe these banks are worried about the bad loans/credit they had in the past and have learnt their lesson. If yes, then better late than never.
Piyush_DT is offline  
Old 27th January 2022, 18:15   #5133
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 699 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Below are the things he said he requires, some of which makes me little uncomfortable.
  1. Photo of the house which I stay in - Really?
  2. No. of years stayed in the house - Don't understand how does this matter
  3. Name of the person to whom the house belongs to - Not comfortable disclosing, not sure why do they require this detail
  4. No. of members staying in the house and how they are related - Again, how does this matter?
  5. Name & Contact of one of the neighbour - Okay I completely lost it at this point
  6. Name of the company & designation at workplace - this seems okay but again I think I provided this on the online application

Most of the questions above seem very uncommon to me and was never asked before during any credit card applications. Anybody has any experience on the above? I don't mind disclosing if these are common and it is my unawareness but otherwise I think I'll think twice before going ahead.
They are definitely not common for a credit card. I haven't seen such information required for a credit card application. Try to confirm whether the person who called you is genuine bank staff, just to be sure. Scamsters are very innovative these days
Everlearner is offline  
Old 27th January 2022, 20:42   #5134
BHPian
 
logicalidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Kannur/B'lore
Posts: 121
Thanked: 491 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_DT View Post
I was also asked questions by PNB on the same line for Car loan. It is strange cause SBI never asked me any of the questions when I was taking home loan where the amount was almost 04 times. The executive came to my place.
It's pretty weird, the agent said the same thing, that these line of questions are common for all House Loans, Education Loans etc. But I don't feel great about this.

Quote:
Maybe these banks are worried about the bad loans/credit they had in the past and have learnt their lesson. If yes, then better late than never.
How does this extra questions help them recover the loans? Only thing they could do with this extra information is harass them for my debts, which again is unethical and probably illegal too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
They are definitely not common for a credit card. I haven't seen such information required for a credit card application. Try to confirm whether the person who called you is genuine bank staff, just to be sure. Scamsters are very innovative these days
He seemed quite honest during the conversation when I raised my concerns. He explained how this is part of all the bank loan processes and even shared screenshots from his mobile showing the various questions and check boxes to be completed. Being a Tier 3 city and the way he spoke, he doesn't seem like a scamster. The guy is from a third party company which the bank has engaged to do the verification. They apparently perform the verification for few other competitor banks as well. I guess all banks engage such third parties for verification.

Looking at 2 of the screenshots he shared (attached below), the questions seem a little reasonable now compared to how he put forth the questions on call. I've asked him to give some time. Will probably make him explain everything before giving in.
Attached Thumbnails
The Credit Card Thread-img20220127wa00262.jpg  

The Credit Card Thread-img20220127wa00272.jpg  


Last edited by logicalidiot : 27th January 2022 at 20:44.
logicalidiot is offline  
Old 27th January 2022, 21:03   #5135
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 381
Thanked: 385 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post

Not impressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
. Most cards are nowadays giving instant approval and even issuing the card # instantly. Looks like HDFC's tech chops are still an issue even after RBI mandate had been lifted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
No Calls or SMS so far. Unfortunately, i have not managed to find a way to talk to an actual person on the HDFC CC Number. I do not hold a HDFC Savings Account at the moment. Do not know if that is the reason.
Wow, I thought I was the only one.
I have a savings account with HDFC and applied for a card on 22nd December. My RM told me my "application is declined" 2 weeks after I applied due to "unknown reasons". Contacted the bank over email and the credit card department asked for some documents again which I sent TWICE over email, but got kept getting some dimwit/ automated email. My RM stopped picking my calls and I gave up the application after I got an automated reply for the third time (22nd Jan).
Applied to Kotak now, hopefully it works but not sure because they've said it takes 15 days.
If nothing, will try to get one of the Amazon/ Zomato, etc.
Hopefully that will come instantly.

Extremely strange how HDFC is so cold when people are applying themselves online. Never got a call, and after reading 3 experiences here, I think there's a bigger issue.

Last edited by rayjaycleoful : 27th January 2022 at 21:07.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 10:37   #5136
Senior - BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 1,172
Thanked: 4,338 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Thanks mate!

Most of the questions above seem very uncommon to me and was never asked before during any credit card applications. Anybody has any experience on the above? I don't mind disclosing if these are common and it is my unawareness but otherwise I think I'll think twice before going ahead.
The Credit Card Division in Bank of Baroda is a joke!!! The BoB Card Division is a subsidiary of Bank of Baroda and they behave as if they own the bank. Having been an old Vijaya Bank customer and having had a Vijaya Bank Credit Card previously, I had applied for a Bank of Baroda Credit Card through my Branch. The Manager, who knew my clean repayment record towards housing & car loans from the same branch(which was earlier a Vijaya Bank Branch), herself had given a recommendation on my application.

Yet the next day this BoB card "agent" calls me and say if I have any loan with Bank of Baroda. I replied I had a car loan and housing loan, which was closed just the preceding month and I had a clean record with Vijaya Bank & Bank of Baroda. He changed track and said, no, it would easier if I have an a active loan account. I sarcastically asked him if should open loan account for a credit card now? He again changed track and said that in that case, I should have to open an FD and they can issue a credit card against that. Pretty angry, I said I will not open an FD. He said then it will be difficult but he will try. All this drama towards an old Vijaya Bank customer!!!

I knew based on my CIBIL sore , I could easily get a credit card with a private bank and at around the same time an ad came up for a Bajaj Finserv/RBL bank credit card. I applied for it and within two days ,the application was approved with a handsome credit limit.

It was clear that my application for a BoB credit card was rejected and I informed the branch that my application with a private bank was approved immediately while Bank of Baroda rejected . I was more upset because the branch where I had an account and a clean loan repayment record could not get the card sanctioned. The branch manager was upset that my card application, inspite of her recommendation, was rejected based on the whims and fancies of this BoB card "agent".
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 18:23   #5137
AZT
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Bombay
Posts: 670
Thanked: 2,530 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Amex just sent me a mailer saying 5% cashback upto 500 on total utility spends. They could not answer on message when I asked if I can make payments through Amazon Pay / Paytm using this card as thats where all billers are stored.

They said it depends on how the merchant classifies the transaction, but I think this should be utility irrespective of website you make payment through. Anyway, good offer to make use of if you have no super premium cards which give better returns.

Edit: Another mailer says 7.5% instant discount on minimum spend of 12,000 on Amazon. This is upto 1500. This is just till 31st Jan though and I don't know what the fine print is like is this only for certain categories etc.

Last edited by AZT : 28th January 2022 at 18:26.
AZT is offline  
Old 28th January 2022, 18:36   #5138
BHPian
 
Piyush_DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 74
Thanked: 235 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
How does this extra questions help them recover the loans? Only thing they could do with this extra information is harass them for my debts, which again is unethical and probably illegal too?
The executive told me that this is new process and hence no questions would have asked by SBI 3 years ago when I applied for home loan. In past we have seen banks struggling and there have been all NPA/bad loan issues, hence maybe banks wanted to be very sure before lending any amount. The executive even asked me any contact details of any colleague from company who can confirm I work there apart from HR's email ID which I was not comfortable but followed the process.
Piyush_DT is offline  
Old 28th January 2022, 21:04   #5139
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 138
Thanked: 260 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

There has been a change in the charges of sms alert for HDFC bank starting 1st Jan 2022.
Attached Thumbnails
The Credit Card Thread-screenshot_20220128210040.png  


Last edited by NG_EV : 28th January 2022 at 21:04. Reason: Punctuation
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 00:19   #5140
BHPian
 
logicalidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Kannur/B'lore
Posts: 121
Thanked: 491 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
The branch manager was upset that my card application, inspite of her recommendation, was rejected based on the whims and fancies of this BoB card "agent".
That's bad. And then the high level heads wonder what is it that they are doing wrong. Agents need to be properly trained and the banks need to make sure that the training knowledge is being practiced in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_DT View Post
In past we have seen banks struggling and there have been all NPA/bad loan issues, hence maybe banks wanted to be very sure before lending any amount. The executive even asked me any contact details of any colleague from company who can confirm I work there apart from HR's email ID which I was not comfortable but followed the process.
Maybe it is hard for their end, can't deny it but the honest and sincere customers too get cropped up in this.

Anyways the BoB guy didn't call me after that. Maybe because I said him that I'll call him back. However I received a text message in the phone stating the card has been approved and dispatched. Quite weird considering the verification did not happen.
logicalidiot is offline  
Old 29th January 2022, 00:35   #5141
BHPian
 
rajivr1612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 553
Thanked: 625 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_DT View Post
The executive told me that this is new process and hence no questions would have asked by SBI 3 years ago when I applied for home loan. In past we have seen banks struggling and there have been all NPA/bad loan issues, hence maybe banks wanted to be very sure before lending any amount. The executive even asked me any contact details of any colleague from company who can confirm I work there apart from HR's email ID which I was not comfortable but followed the process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
That's bad. And then the high level heads wonder what is it that they are doing wrong. Agents need to be properly trained and the banks need to make sure that the training knowledge is being practiced in the real world.


Maybe it is hard for their end, can't deny it but the honest and sincere customers too get cropped up in this.

Anyways the BoB guy didn't call me after that. Maybe because I said him that I'll call him back. However I received a text message in the phone stating the card has been approved and dispatched. Quite weird considering the verification did not happen.
Offtopic.
Not credit card, but I have a housing loan from LICHFL and recently opted for a top-up loan. The documents required and line of questioning was the same as you guys mentioned.
Infact for the top-up, they have asked for copy of agreement and sale deed again. When told that you guys already have the original, they said it's in the locker and they cannot retrieve it presently.
In addition, all the documents submitted for original loan were required to be submitted viz. Bank statements, Form16, employment proof etc.
The only reason I went with LICHFL in the first place was that they did a thorough check of the documents from builder and I am happy for that.
rajivr1612 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 10:42   #5142
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 430
Thanked: 885 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Thanks mate!

Since it is a LTF credit card and wouldn't hurt to have one, I applied in the same week the above was posted or maybe a few days after. Whole application process and KYC was done online.
Very strange . The entire KYC was done online for me and it was a video verification. I did not get any calls for in-person verification at all. Something is definitely fishy looking at the questions that you were asked!
searacer932 is offline  
Old 29th January 2022, 16:57   #5143
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 118
Thanked: 147 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Sorry if this question has already been asked before, but which card is the best? I usually travel a lot, so I prefer a card that fetches me reward points for flight tickets. I applied for Axis bank credit card but they don't seem to be interested at all. I've been following up for weeks now and they keep saying we'll get back to you but they never do! HDFC and Amex stated that RBI has stopped them from issuing credit cards.
kiredd1005 is offline  
Old 29th January 2022, 17:00   #5144
Senior - BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 1,172
Thanked: 4,338 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
That's bad. And then the high level heads wonder what is it that they are doing wrong. Agents need to be properly trained and the banks need to make sure that the training knowledge is being practiced in the real world.
In an attempt to get at service levels of private banks, Bank of Baroda is actually overdoing it. If a Branch Manager's word/recommendation cannot be trusted by these Bank of Baroda Card fellows, why are they even in the business!!!

Let me quote another experience with Bank of Baroda.

I opened an SB account at a Bank of Baroda branch(which needless to say , was a Vijaya Bank branch earlier) near my home for sake of my convenience in November last year. Earlier during Vijaya Bank days, branches had the authority to issue debit cards(non-personalized) at the branch. Now they can't. So, I had to wait for the debit card to arrive(which took 22 days. Even to activate internet banking for that account, I needed the debit card, which was even more frustrating. Now after the card came, I used it at the ATM to see if it was active ,which it was. Next day when I tried to activate Internet baking using the same debt card on the Bank's website, the error came - Card Details not Found!!!

I went to the branch to inform about the issue and they checked and said they will have to apply for the internet banking user id and password at the branch level and it would come within 10 days. Two weeks went by, it did not come. Again went to the branch to check if the User id and password had come. I wasn't surprised by the answer I received - because of system error the user id and password could not be generated and they have to reapply!!!

These Bank of Baroda guys have ruined everything that Vijaya Bank stood for. Earlier, most things could be done at the branch level. But now seems everything needs "approval" from higher ups in Bank of Baroda!!!
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 19:09   #5145
BHPian
 
concorde24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 205 Times
Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Offtopic.

The only reason I went with LICHFL in the first place was that they did a thorough check of the documents from builder and I am happy for that.
I have a suggestion on this - Please don't choose a home loan provider because it checks the document thoroughly. It is buyer's responsibility to check the legal opinion of the property and the loan provider liability stops as soon as loan is repaid. So we as a buyer can go with 1 or 2 legal opinions independently and go with Loan provider who provides good service !!
concorde24 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks