Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2023, 01:47   #1201
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post

By the logic given by you, it is illegal to move the two wheeler which is obstructing the parking lot or our way out !
It is indeed illegal to move anyone else's property without his consent. That is quite a fundamental tenet of law. To offer excuses based on the fact that this is a rural community and not a metropolitan area is disingenuous. As I said in my earlier comment, one person's wrong does not make it right to commit another wrong.

Unfortunately I see from your response and Mr Emvi's that you treat this as a 'trifle'.

That very flawed understanding leads to a slippery slope where people take the law into their own hands and in my experience is partly responsible for the cavalier attitude I see people having on the roads these days, deciding what laws are ok to break and which are not.

I wonder whether you would dare try a stunt like this in a country with strict legal enforcement such as the USA or UK? I suspect not. In the end it is just another example of the 'chalta hai' mindset we live in, itself a result of the poor law enforcement.
Old 9th June 2023, 07:28   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2022 View Post
It is indeed illegal to move anyone else's property without his consent.

Unfortunately I see from your response and Mr Emvi's that you treat this as a 'trifle'.

That very flawed understanding

I wonder whether you would dare try a stunt like this in a country with strict legal enforcement such as the USA or UK?
Thanks for legal 101 of the situation.
You definitely have my support if you decide to call traffic police and wait for their arrival form 30-40 kms after few hours OR to wait for the owner to come after few hours.
I personally would not wait ! And will see if there is a workaround.

We can say hundred things by using lot of heavy words on how these type of actions lead to downfall of a country. But, can not overrule what people follow in certain areas and the common practices.

And I would not do this ‘stunt’ in any other country, where I do not know the common practices. However, I also assume there won’t be much of these ‘800s’ blocking my way out from a parking lot !

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2023 at 10:58. Reason: Last line wasn't needed
prasanna_indaje is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 08:57   #1203
Distinguished - BHPian

After parking my bike near a Metro station yesterday morning, I didn't realize that I had left my riding gloves on the tank. Came back at night, more than 12 hours later and they were still there!

Now these are an old pair of gloves and perhaps no one noticed them since the bike was parked in a corner. But still pretty unusual, since the assumption in a public place is that anything not nailed down, is going to be stolen.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 08:57   #1204
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, let's stop discussing the above incident. There is no Black & White in life.

I can understand both views - I would not touch another person's car in normal circumstances, even if a person comes and requests me to move "his" car.

But: I can visualize the situation in the above incident. I have been to such places for events, and not too far from where the above has happened. OP has done it based on the circumstances, and I would possibly do it too there. The gathering that the OP mentioned are such that it's not a wedding kind of situation, but a more private gathering.

IIRC: dont remember the countries, but recently came across an article where it was mentioned that people leave the keys in their cars, just in case someone needs to get away in an emergency due to extreme weather conditions. This was not for India, but could have been Australia or some of the nordic countries. But this is a very local behaviour at that place.
condor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 10:05   #1205
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support: All views put forward, dissected and going round in circles long enough to make everyone dizzy, and it's just about getting into 'infractions incoming' territory.

Time to bury this one and move on, gentlemen.

Thank you, and Happy Friday!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 10:35   #1206
BHPian

During our recent trip to Ashtvinayak, we hired a Tavera. A traffic police stopped the car, checked something in his mobile and asked for papers. Driver showed him the "Green tax Receipt" whereas the traffic cop kept arguing that the app/portal shows as a substantial amount of tax is due for the car (I could not hear the figure but it was in 5 figures).

Driver came back to the car & called up his manager/guy who handles payment to check if the balance taxes were paid, meanwhile we looked at the green tax receipt, it said paid from 2021 upto lifetime. We insisted that the driver show this "Lifetime" thing to the traffic cop else it'd end up bribing the guy for no reason.

Driver went back & showed up the paper with lifetime validity, cop accepted his mistake & blamed the portal/system .
----
Another incident is when I was travelling in local train from office to home. I had a first class pass on my UTS app (Those outside Mumbai, its an app by Railways for purchasing tickets & season pass). Ticket checker boarded the train & I was not having network in my phone at that point, which meant I could not login into the app. I insisted that I do have a ticket, but TTE kept insisting that I don't and was ready to invoice me.

I said, let me get down at the next station, will login into the app & show you the ticket.

We got down, I logged in, showed him the pass & I said "Why don't you guys improve the system & allow us to show tickets without network availability?"

TTE Replied "Exactly, we are also against digitalization", I was left dumb founded.
montsa007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 16:35   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsa007 View Post
----
Another incident is when I was travelling in local train from office to home. I had a first class pass on my UTS app (Those outside Mumbai, its an app by Railways for purchasing tickets & season pass). Ticket checker boarded the train & I was not having network in my phone at that point, which meant I could not login into the app. I insisted that I do have a ticket, but TTE kept insisting that I don't and was ready to invoice me.

I said, let me get down at the next station, will login into the app & show you the ticket.

We got down, I logged in, showed him the pass & I said "Why don't you guys improve the system & allow us to show tickets without network availability?"

TTE Replied "Exactly, we are also against digitalization", I was left dumb founded.
Here at Chennai we have the same UTS app, in which the show ticket option works without data network. At least it used to work before corona as far as I remember.
Old 9th June 2023, 16:48   #1208
BHPian

Had a Funny incident a while back, not exactly on the road though.

One of my friends scooter got taken away by the police from in front of a resto-pub, to where it was taken by another friend and was left overnight and I was called in to help as they were not fluent in the local language (Tamil).

The Constable at the desk initially assumed that both of us did not know Tamil as we both were speaking among ourselves in Hindi and English and none of our names sounded South Indian. We had a conversation that went back and forth for around 15 mins with my buddy(the owner) doing most of the talking as most of the conversation was addressed to him and it felt like I was butting in when I tried to speak. A few other policemen were commenting about the whole scenario in the background in Tamil to which I pretended like I did not understand. At one point, I switched over to Tamil and the policemen were like 'Wait, what?' . Safe to say, things went smoothly from there on and we got the scooter back in 5 mins.
Dr.Procastinate is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 16:54   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
After parking my bike near a Metro station yesterday morning, I didn't realize that I had left my riding gloves on the tank. Came back at night, more than 12 hours later and they were still there!

Now these are an old pair of gloves and perhaps no one noticed them since the bike was parked in a corner. But still pretty unusual, since the assumption in a public place is that anything not nailed down, is going to be stolen.
This reminds me of my pre-covid experience.
On the way back from work on my scooter, I parked in front of a shop for some purchase. This is on a main road please note. My office laptop bag (with laptop and accessories) inside was hooked on the foot board. To this day I can't understand how I left the bag on the scooter, went in the shop which was on 1st floor, did some casual shopping for more than 15mins, and when I came back the bag and contents were still there. All the while I didn't even realise that the bag was left behind.
I just thanked the decent citizens who passed by without any ulterior motives.
rajivr1612 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 09:46   #1210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I just thanked the decent citizens who passed by without any ulterior motives.
I like to believe that the majority of people are honest by default. The news tends to focus on the bad and generally we plan for the worst case scenario (which makes sense when planning). But overall, I've experienced far, far more good behavior and help while on the road than bad.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 10:32   #1211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I like to believe that the majority of people are honest by default. The news tends to focus on the bad and generally we plan for the worst case scenario (which makes sense when planning). But overall, I've experienced far, far more good behavior and help while on the road than bad.
I agree. Many time I have come across scooters/bikes with key left in ignition or on dickie lock. Also come across unattended scooters with groceries and unknown bags on the footboards which have been there for quite some time.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 10:41   #1212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I agree. Many time I have come across scooters/bikes with key left in ignition or on dickie lock.
Just saw one more example while filling fuel yesterday morning. The guy on the bike in front of me zoomed off...leaving his credit/debit card behind. The petrol bunk attendant first asked in a loud voice whose card it was then I saw him go and leave the card in the office, clearly the intent was to ensure the customer got the card back.
Old 14th June 2023, 15:54   #1213
BHPian

I don’t know if this can be termed as funny/heartwarming, but definitely unusual. During my Rajasthan trip, observed this !

Wild guess about how many onboard ?
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-img_5403.jpeg  

Old 14th June 2023, 20:01   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
I don’t know if this can be termed as funny/heartwarming, but definitely unusual. During my Rajasthan trip, observed this !

Wild guess about how many onboard ?
Its normal over there, have visited multiple times & have seen Jeep/Trax overloaded.

Even an auto has 2 passengers sitting besides the driver.
Old 17th June 2023, 11:40   #1215
Distinguished - BHPian

A lawyer in Kota was unable to get a wheelchair for his son with a fractured leg after reaching the MBS hospital. He carried his EV scooter on the lift and after reaching third floor, he drove the two wheeler to the orthopaedic ward to get his son treated.

This is not a traffic scene though but an extension of it though. Its both unusual and funny, only heartwarming for the lawyer and his son but was bizarre for the hospital staff and others.

Sans wheelchair for injured son, lawyer takes scooter to 3rd floor of Kota hospital -

http://toi.in/ifhXJb/a31ga8

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th June 2023 at 11:41.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks