Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2023, 14:19   #1246
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ng-lots-3.html (How do I remember my parking spot in huge parking lots)

This thread reminded me of an incident from 2017. I was traveling for a 1 day trip so I took my car and parked it in the RGI Hyderabad airport parking. Locked the car and noted the parking slot number. The next day, I landed and walked to the parking lot along the path which I thought was same as the day before.

The lot is broken into a cubicle/bay like structure with about 30 parking slots each. I walked to my parking slot number but couldn't find my car. So went on looking. Over the next 30 mins, I scanned the adjacent 4-5 lots on each side. Still no trace of the car. And all the lots looked familiar. I assumed it is stolen. Wife was on call with me and even she was worried.

After some more time, I walked to a security personnel who was at some distance, to report about a stolen car. His first question was if I had parked in C2 lot or C3 lot? That I didn't remember. All this time, I was in C3 loitering around like a thief. He asked me to check C2 which was further away. I went there and finally found my car (in C2 or maybe C1), 45 mins later. Told my wife that day how I found my 'stolen' car.

Since that day, I have lost my car once more, this time in Bangalore airport parking. My reference was a beautiful Volvo in the parking which I started ogling after parking the car and forgot to note anything else. When I returned 20 mins later, the Volvo was gone and so was my reference point among a sea of cars . Lost another 20 mins loitering the parking until I found mine (using the unlock blinkers also didn't help in that huge field). Airport parkings are huge but no pillars. Especially when parking at night, finding the right reference number for the slot has been difficult for me and I avoid the parking as much as possible.

Last edited by ashis89 : 22nd November 2023 at 14:23.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 11:04   #1247
BHPian

I was riding my 2017 Classic 350 at night in Mumbai and seldom there are police stopping people to check if you have your license, vehicle documents and also to check if you are riding/driving under influence. I had all the documents with me on my phone. Stopped and a cop started asking to show all the documents. I proceeded confidently showing off that yeah you have caught the wrong fish today until he asked for PUC. I was in for a surprise as I didn’t have PUC! Infact all these years since buying it in November 2017 we never had got a PUC. Senses prevailed and realised I was in for a trouble now. Cop proceeded to raise a challan while I tried to talk it out. Was pleasantly surprised when he said you can go without fine as you didn’t argue or be arrogant. I thanked him and left. First things first while writing this I have got the PUC done today morning itself. I don’t know if this incident was funny or heartwarming but surely was good.

OT- My question to members, doesn’t a manufacturer/dealership give you PUC when you buy a car/bike? Because on my virtual RC there wasn’t anything mentioned about PUC.
Old 30th November 2023, 12:20   #1248
BHPian

Two days ago, on the Tuesday evening, I was driving to a wedding function, paving my way through the after-office peak traffic. That's when I noticed a reflection of headlights in the right ORVM, hmmm... that's something different. I don't recognise this car!

As that car approached me, I could notice a big H logo. Is that the Elevate? Yes, it is!! I had never seen one so far.

I told my wife, hey that's the new Honda SUV! She didn't pay any heed as she was busy on Instagram. Meanwhile, the Elevate was almost next to my right. That's where it got a bit funny.

I was checking out the Elevate. The Elevate guy was checking out the Verna.
Our eyes met briefly. An awkward pause, followed by a sheepish smile, and we continued our way through the traffic.

Wife still on Instagram! Things that she would never get!
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 12:31   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Because on my virtual RC there wasn’t anything mentioned about PUC.
On your virtual RC, it should show details of your PUCC number and validity. Would be below insurance details.
Old 30th November 2023, 12:38   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
On your virtual RC, it should show details of your PUCC number and validity. Would be below insurance details.
It now shows it since I got it on 27th Nov morning. My question was that earlier the PUCC number as well as validity wasn't present on the virtual RC. If it was expired then it should have been present there but it wasn't present at all.
Old 1st December 2023, 21:44   #1251
BHPian

For years, I've always spotted an unusual sight in my neighborhood. A Premier Padmini being driven with no one in the driver's seat!!!

I'd usually spot the car once in a few months, and I was always left dumbstruck and curious about how the car could be driven with no one at the wheel!

Today, when I was on a walk with my dad, I spotted the same car. I got really excited and waited for the owner to return from a nearby shop. I had a nice conversation with him. I got to know that he wasn't comfortable sitting in the driver's seat as he was too tall.

His solution was to sit in the front passenger seat, and drive the car from there! He told me that he'd been doing this since 1979! (Which is when he bought the car).

In the end, I finally got the answer to a question that had been bugging me for the past few years.

p.s. Although the car is 44 years old, it was absolutely gorgeous. The chrome bumper didn't have even one scratch. The paint and interior were great as well!
aravindb_0711 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 18:46   #1252
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yet another visit to God’s own country and yet another heartwarming experience!

I was part of a group of friends who all had this long pending wish to visit the abode of Lord Ayyappa at Sabarimala and it finally happened this year during the Mandala Kalam. After Darshan at Sabarimala (due to humongous crowds, it took us 12 hours from when we started the trek from the Pampa river), we headed back to Ernakulam, the delay ensured that we missed a visit to the Chotanikkara temple, so we headed to the railway station directly. We boarded the Trivandrum-Guruvayoor inter city express and arrived at Guruvayoor just past midnight. As soon as we walked outside the station, we boarded a Tata Zip auto/cab to get to the east nada at Guruvayoor. I paid the driver and he asked us if we checked that all our luggage was safe with us and nothing was left behind. I affirmed I had my stuff and then asked my friends who all were weary eyed and nodded in unison, so we headed to our lodge.
We had to freshen up and join the queue for the Nirmalya Darshan immediately. Just then, one guy says he left his sling bag with a mobile phone, cash, cards and Aadhaar card in the cab! We tried calling his phone and didn’t get a response so we assumed it is still in the cab and has gone unnoticed.

We proceeded to get the Darshan at the temple and then walked over to the railway station. I first enquired with the parking attendants and they said they can find out the driver’s contact number in a couple of hours. The only identification we had was that it had a sticker saying “Faazil”. My friend walked up to the reservation counter and asked if there was a way to contact the cab driver, and the clerk there asked us to meet the station master.

We met the station master who was a very nice gentleman and after listening to us, he asked for more details of the lost pouch and its contents. He then asked me to call the phone that was lost with the pouch. When I called, the phone lit up (it was in silent mode) and placed on one corner of the station master’s massive table and was being charged in the hope that someone would call (so very thoughtful of the gentleman!), but he wasn’t aware it was in silent mode. He was convinced that it belonged to my friend, then asked him to check if everything was intact. On confirmation, he asked my friend to write a letter explaining that he lost the pouch in a cab and found it with the contents intact. The station master mentioned that the driver had driven back to the station and handed over the pouch since he wasn’t able to trace us (we got down at the entrance of east nada and walked in towards our lodge in an alley that wasn’t visible from the road).

We thanked the station master profusely and left the place after handing over Rs.500 to give to the cab driver as a small token of appreciation. The station master was reluctant to accept it since he didn’t have the cabbie’s number, but we insisted.

Last edited by NPV : 11th December 2023 at 18:49.
NPV is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 20:47   #1253
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometime last week - Late evening traffic on Kanakapura road, heading into the city. A little before Konanakunte metro station, I see some urgency laden action: one woman scooter rider trying to get thru all the cars there. One guy standing in front of her, holding up his hand and trying tell her something. Though blocking her path, he is behaving very respectfully.

Traffic moves, and we approach the Konanakunte signal. The signal is red, and there are a couple of vehicles in front of me. A goods auto moves from my left and in front of me, ready to turn right. A couple of two wheelers too stand there - all BAU. A police Ertiga comes up a little on the left. Soon the same woman, in black and wearing a helmet comes up between my car and the Ertiga, and stops behind the goods auto. The police Ertiga then moves across to block the path. The same guy as earlier comes up, blocks the scooter, and is again trying to talk to her. She is not saying anything. A cop (looks to have alighted from the Ertiga) comes up, talking on his phone. My car window being open, I see him look at the scooter, and then say into the phone - is this the (vehicle) number ?

Even as the woman's scooter is blocked, the lights turn and I get space to move past. The woman is screaming.

As I move, It hits me that if it was her scooter, she would have been arguing. But the screaming ? I realise that she was possibly trying to steal the scooter, but got caught.

Five minutes of unexpected events in fairly heavy evening traffic.
condor is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 15:11   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Thought of sharing an incident that happened just before covid in Bangalore. My friend had a chest pain in the morning and we rushed him to the hospital in another friend’s car. It was around 8.30 am on Bannergahatta road and traffic was building, we were driving with lights on and was trying to honk our way through the traffic. This irritated 2 young tough looking people on a 2-wheeler, they stopped blocking our car and walked up to the car window to pick a fight. But they noticed our friend on the back seat buckling due to pain and we suddenly told them the matter and things took a U-Turn. They got on their bike and started clearing the road for us shouting and waving at other vehicles. They rode ahead and made cop at the next signal to clear the road and piloted us till the emergency gate of Apollo hospital.

My friend had gone through a cardiac arrest and the timely medical help saved his life, things might have been different if our young friends have behaved differently. We realised that our saviours did not leave their contact details.

I always wish to believe all are good at heart, and this helped in reinforcing my theory.
gadadhar is offline   (83) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 15:25   #1255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

This thread reminded me of an incident from 2017. I was traveling for a 1 day trip so I took my car and parked it in the RGI Hyderabad airport parking.
So I am not alone in the RGIA Parking Maze.

Same thing happened to me as well and in 2017 ( August)

I parked in C2 and was frantically searching for the car in C1/c3 ( cannot remember) , and was about to lodge complaint regarding theft to the parking lot assistants.

When I tried to retrace my way back into the airport again, only then I realized there are multiple parking bays

Last edited by poised2drive : 13th December 2023 at 15:26.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 15:26   #1256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Thought of sharing an incident that happened just before covid in Bangalore. My friend had a chest pain in the morning and we rushed him to the hospital in another friend’s car. It was around 8.30 am on Bannergahatta road and traffic was building, we were driving with lights on and was trying to honk our way through the traffic. This irritated 2 young tough looking people on a 2-wheeler, they stopped blocking our car and walked up to the car window to pick a fight. But they noticed our friend on the back seat buckling due to pain and we suddenly told them the matter and things took a U-Turn. They got on their bike and started clearing the road for us shouting and waving at other vehicles. They rode ahead and made cop at the next signal to clear the road and piloted us till the emergency gate of Apollo hospital.

My friend had gone through a cardiac arrest and the timely medical help saved his life, things might have been different if our young friends have behaved differently. We realised that our saviours did not leave their contact details.

I always wish to believe all are good at heart, and this helped in reinforcing my theory.
Am I heartless? Not sure.

But I don't think high of the saviours. If it was not for the visibly in-pain friend, how would they have reacted? Just that their good act cancelled out their bad act part.

Guess I have seen too much videos/dashcam videos of local heroes in Bengaluru getting angry when honked at and smashing windhsields that I have become desensitised.
DicKy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 03:13   #1257
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe, but on the face of it, gadadhar was driving like the usual sort of bully, honking, flashing and pushing through. What was different was that he had good reason for doing so. The bikers saw, accepted, and did a good turn.

Quote:
... we were driving with lights on and was trying to honk our way through the traffic. This irritated 2 young tough looking people on a 2-wheeler, they stopped blocking our car and walked up to the car window to pick a fight. But they noticed our friend on the back seat buckling due to pain and we suddenly told them the matter and things took a U-Turn. They got on their bike and started clearing the road for us shouting and waving at other vehicles. They rode ahead and made cop at the next signal to clear the road and piloted us till the emergency gate of Apollo hospital.
I think this is a great story. Thank you!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th December 2023 at 21:37. Reason: Corrected quoted BHPian's name. Thanks.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 09:21   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

If it was not for the visibly in-pain friend, how would they have reacted? Just that their good act cancelled out their bad act part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Maybe, but on the face of it, gadadhar was driving like the usual sort of bully, honking, flashing and pushing through..... The bikers saw, accepted, and did a good turn.

I think this is a great story. Thank you!
Yes, Our way of driving that day would have irked anyone and can't blame the bikers for their initial reaction. And the moment they realised the situation, they went to the other extreme and did everything possible to help.

I would love to stick to my theory of ALL being good at heart
gadadhar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 09:50   #1259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Maybe, but on the face of it, gadadha was driving like the usual sort of bully, honking, flashing and pushing through. What was different was that he had good reason for doing so. The bikers saw, accepted, and did a good turn.
Quote:
Yes, Our way of driving that day would have irked anyone and can't blame the bikers for their initial reaction. And the moment they realised the situation, they went to the other extreme and did everything possible to help.
Guess it is a driving cultural difference. (can't believe I just used that word here)

In my place, if a car comes with its lights ON, maybe the hazards ON and incessant honking everyone would give way believing it would be a medical emergency. And due to the nature of the roads and traffic, there is less chance of people misusing the above act. Local heroes if any, would move aside and then if they find it was some sort of joyriding (scanning passengers inside) may chase down.

Here, they stopped their vehicle, blocking the car. And walked towards the car not with the purest of intentions. Not to say that they are bad, but like I said above. Their good act cancelled out their bad act part. Maybe they were good that day. They directly came to confront the driver instead of hitting the bonnet or breaking the windshield and then confronting the driver.
DicKy is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 11:13   #1260

This incident happened a few years ago. I was in my car on the way from Chennai city towards Tambaram side. It was around 4 PM or so with some traffic and I was in a mood to have some fun, so I was cutting across lanes and moving swiftly past the traffic. Somewhere past the airport, I see a taxi trying to get my attention by honking and flashing lights, closely following behind. I was worried if I had cut across him on the way (I could not remember going dangerously close anywhere though) and he wanted to have a word with him. I continued and at one signal he caught up on my left and started waving his hand out with a half smile. Then I rolled my window down and he said he was from my hometown! At that time, my car was bearing my hometown number plate, which is not so commonly seen in Chennai. He was eager to find a person from there and perhaps couldn't hold back his excitement. I also smiled, waved and by then the signal turned green and we parted ways.
Prado is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks